Apple allegedly plans to drop support of the iPhone 6s and SE (1st Generation) with iOS 15

NotTheFirstDaniel

Summary

It looks like the last headphone jack iPhones are being sent out to pasture next year with the iOS 15 release. The Verifier reports that iOS 15 will only support iPhones 7 and newer. Sad day for iPhone users everywhere.

Although it is important to note that dropping iOS support on a major branch ≠ no support at all. For instance, the A6 chipset (locked at iOS 10) got the iOS update 10.3.4 in 2019, despite the iOS version and the chip being discontinued 2 years prior. Something similar also occurred with the A7 and A8, where a security update to iOS 12 was released in 2020, despite it being 2 years out of date.

Quotes

• iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus and iPhone SE may no longer be supported with the launch of iOS 15 next year
  • An iPhone 7 or newer will likely be required to run the next major version of iOS

My thoughts

I find this a shame. Unless Apple is planning to do something radical with iOS 15, there's really no point in removing these devices. The A9 is still powerful enough to be a daily-driver phone. I still have my iPhone SE from 2016, and it's running perfectly usable on iOS 14. But, I assume this decision came down to two things. RAM, and the SOC itself. While both 6s models and the SE only have 2GB of RAM, the 7 Plus has 3GB, which is still poor by today's standards, but remember a jump from 2 to 3 is much more substantial than a jump from 3 to 4. Also, the A10 chip, which premiered with the iPhone 7, was the first Apple designed SOC to implement big.LITTLE. Maybe idle power usage was just too high on the A9, so they decided to kill it? I'm really just grasping at straws though, since the A10 "Fusion" could only use the high or low performance cores, unlike the A11 "Bionic" which could use both at the same time.

Either way, goodbye to one of the best generations of iPhone.

Sources

iOS 15 to support iPhone 7 and newer - AppleTrack

As much as I hate Apple, there is nothing really wrong here. The 6s will be going on, what, 5 years of support? Or is it 6 in 2021? Either way, Apple delivered on their 5 years of support for the 6s so to me, this is meaningless. I say all this as someone who owns a 6s.

8 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

I find this a shame. Unless Apple is planning to do something radical with iOS 15, there's really no point in removing these devices.

I think it is pretty much standard for iOS devices to receive at least five to six generation updates which I think started with the iPhone 5s, not just security patches which is a lot better than any Android OEM including the Pixel phones.

iPhone 5s: iOS 7-iOS 12

iPhone 6: iOS 8-iOS 12

iPhone 6s: iOS 9-iOS 14 (6 major updates)

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

yeah i had a original SE, i got the 11 due to this 

i knew 14 would be the last 

I’d be willing to bet this also includes A8 iPad Mini 4 with 2GB RAM and A8X iPad Air 2.

May also include A9X based first gen iPad Pro.

Edit: Now that I think about it, what would stop Apple from also putting A8 powered Apple TV HD out to pasture?

They could also discontinue it and replace TV HD with an A10 based chip although that seems a bit inconsequential of an update so perhaps an A12 might do better.

Which would then inevitably lead to A12Z being used in a future Apple TV 4K.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

28 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Snip

Yep i completely agree, i have a Note 5 which lost support maybe 2 years ago, and i will likely upgrade next year, so I would have had to own a phone with 3 years without support out of the 6 years of owning it, which is not great, especially since i have missed out on major security and new features, i especially miss OS level dark mode, but yeah an iPhone user doesn't go through this and in a normal phone update cycle of about 5 years, their users are guaranteed use, which even now isn't assured for android 

also i love the note line, but the new 10 and 11 are a bit too expensive, even though i can get the note 9 i am buying a phone which will lose updates soon, so it sucks for android a bit more

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

43 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

there's really no point in removing these devices

there's also really no point in continously updating a phone... it's not getting faster, its not getting any meaningful new features (smartphone features have stalled since years) and it also doesn't get "more secure" 

Though there is in fact a point, and that's manufacturers wanting customers to move on and buy new devices, after 5(?) years of meaningless "support" they aren't charity and champagne and caviar isn't exactly cheap either, please understand. ~

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, dilpickle said:

You're whining about getting 6 years of support on a cell phone?

And how is this even news? Products are dropped literally every year.

Yeah, 6 years is definitely plenty long for support of a smartphone, and it's not like you're completely in the dark in terms of security. If it's something that could be risky, they will patch older devices. And, it's not like Apple is locking you out of the device. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

To blame Apple for that is meaningless. They supported those for 6 years, as an android user I see maximum of 2 and the 2nd update will me many months after the official android version release date. 

Also drop support doesn't mean brick your smartphone, you just don't have security patches and new tricks (am I right on that?)

10 minutes ago, Spindel said:

It's funny that when Apple drops support for an old iPhone it becomes news

Dude we ve been waiting for 6 years on the Android world to make fun of it, you won't take it from us!

21 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

Also drop support doesn't mean brick your smartphone, you just don't have security patches and new tricks (am I right on that?)

Apple will occasionally release security patches that are deemed critical vulnerabilities like kernel bugs. Just recently, they released a security patch that includes the iPhone 5s.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211940

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 hours ago, dilpickle said:

You're whining about getting 6 years of support on a cell phone?

And how is this even news? Products are dropped literally every year.

When I said "there's really no point in removing these devices" I meant that they still show a little bit of legroom and could go for a year more. It's not like it's an iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S which are quite literally unusable on their last supported OS. But my OP wasn't about "whining" about how they're losing support, it was mostly wondering/speculating why they got axed.

And I believe this is news because A) almost everyone knows someone still rocking an iPhone 6S to this day, and B) we should be congratulating companies that support their products past the initial sale and warranty, or in other words, do the bare minimum. The fact that 2 years of support isn't even a guarantee for some Android phones is just terrible, and cases like the one that just popped up, where almost 34% of Google Play users won't be able to navigate Let's Encrypt secured websites past 2021, reinforce how awful Google's update policies are and how they could actually affect people in the real world. But companies like Samsung have actually started to commit to OS upgrades as a direct response to this discussion. So, the more we talk about how well Apple's done in this regard, the more OEMs will listen to this and take it in. 

I personally believe that silence is conformity, and that the only thing that can change something is your voice. I highly doubt both Microsoft and Samsung would commit to 3 years of support across their Android devices if it weren't for people talking about this, and making this a huge argument. So yes, in this case, the dropping of the products in question is the news.

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

there's also really no point in continously updating a phone... it's not getting faster, its not getting any meaningful new features (smartphone features have stalled since years) and it also doesn't get "more secure" 

Though there is in fact a point, and that's manufacturers wanting customers to move on and buy new devices, after 5(?) years of meaningless "support" they aren't charity and champagne and caviar isn't exactly cheap either, please understand. ~

Phones are absolutely faster than they were 5 years ago by a factor of like 4.5x for the iPhone 6S vs 12. There’s miles of difference in camera and screen quality as well.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I can't say this is remotely surprising, nor bad news. Having used one side by side with my Xs, it's time for these devices to go

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

6 hours ago, like_ooh_ahh said:

I think it is pretty much standard for iOS devices to receive at least five to six generation updates which I think started with the iPhone 5s, not just security patches which is a lot better than any Android OEM including the Pixel phones.

iPhone 5s: iOS 7-iOS 12

Yeah. I still use a 5s, and literaly just now as I went to check what OS it ended on, I have a notification for an OS update (12.4.9).  So, while the the new stuff doesn't come, I'm still getting fixes and security updates 2 or 3 years after it was discontinued.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

My 6s+ served me very well up until I replaced it with a 12 Pro Max this year. Farewell A9! 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

9 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

As much as I hate Apple, there is nothing really wrong here. The 6s will be going on, what, 5 years of support? Or is it 6 in 2021? Either way, Apple delivered on their 5 years of support for the 6s so to me, this is meaningless. I say all this as someone who owns a 6s.

Would be like 6, you could argue 2016-2021

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Still got 2 6s devices kicking around. Remarkable how well they've aged, I use one as a work phone and the other as my webcam.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

I mean, six years of support is pretty damn good. You will have a hard time to get even half of that on most Android phones. 

Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING

Ryzen 5900X

Corsair Hydro H150i Pro 360mm AIO

Ballistix 32GB (4x8GB) 3600MHz CL16 RGB

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB

Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC

Corsair RM850X

Predator XB273UGS QHD IPS 165 Hz

iPhone 13 Pro 128GB Graphite

We live in a world where people supplement want as a need and need to have the next best thing and companies keep profiting off of the bell curve for intelligence, which most people fall into are not clever enough to realize that they don't need a new phone even after the support drop.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1