The RTX 3090 is a colossal triple slot graphics card

illegalwater
49 minutes ago, fade said:

$600 between 3080 and 3090?  Better be more than 20% performance.

It has to be. The the RTX Titan is already 40% stronger than the 5700XT (40CUs @ 1900Mhz) if the so-called 6900XT is going to have 80CUs at around the same clock speeds ~ aka twice as good.

Not mention that a "6800XT" with 64CUs at 2185MHz will effectively have 73CUs and a "6700XT" with 56CUs at 2280Mhz will effectively have 67CUs ~ respectively 83% and 68% better than the 5700XT.

The RTX 3090 has to beat all three.

31 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I still don't get the second fan

If you look at the shape of the fins it's clear this isn't a blower design but rather a more conventional heatpipe based heatsink with two fans blowing down on it. One of the fans is just on the other side of the card, which doesn't make much difference since the PCB is a lot shorter than the heatsink.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

If you look at the shape of the fins it's clear this isn't a blower design but rather a more conventional heatpipe based heatsink with two fans blowing down on it. One of the fans is just on the other side of the card, which doesn't make much difference since the PCB is a lot shorter than the heatsink.

That and/or a specialized "transversalal coprocessor" for ray-tracing:

4 minutes ago, Results45 said:

That and/or a specialized "transversalal coprocessor" for ray-tracing:

Maybe but that would be really wacky in the current computing landscape... then again it may explain the return to the *90 name which used to be for dual GPU cards.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'm now pondering if my EVGA G3 650 will be beef enough for a 3080...

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

hmmm don't think that will fit in my NZXT H1 lol

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

If it ends up costing more than $1400 this will be the first flagship card I end up not having in close to a decade. 

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Thing is, why do they expect air to be coming in from the top to that second fan? Most cases are not set up in a way to accommodate that airflow path. I just see it taking away some of the airflow from the CPU area, from the front intakes (assuming we're talking about a standard mid-tower here, intakes in the front/bottom, exhausts in the rear/top).

I'm really looking forward to seeing some thermal testing on these cards.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1 hour ago, fade said:

$600 between 3080 and 3090?  Better be more than 20% performance.

Hoping those prices are incorrect.  If they're right, that's a massive upswing in MSRP for NVIDIA cards from just 2 generations ago.  Makes it really hard to want to upgrade my 1080.

Was hoping to upgrade my 1080 to a 3080 at current 2080s prices.

1 minute ago, Anarchyz11 said:

Hoping those prices are incorrect.  If they're right, that's a massive upswing in MSRP for NVIDIA cards from just 2 generations ago.  Makes it really hard to want to upgrade my 1080.

Those are most likely Founder's Edition prices though, which are $100 more than the aftermarket AIB cards. If I'm not mistaken those prices are in line with the RTX 2000 launch prices. Well, except the 3090 of course.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Those are most likely Founder's Edition prices though, which are $100 more than the aftermarket AIB cards. If I'm not mistaken those prices are in line with the RTX 2000 launch prices. Well, except the 3090 of course.

Good point, hopefully the non-flagship models stay in line.

At this point just make the fans standard 120mm fans so I can replace them with Noctua fans.

Because reasons.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, illegalwater said:

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3090-1-1.jpgNVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3090-graphics.jpg

Wow, it's huuuuge.

Between the rumored 350W TDP, GDDR6X supposedly running very hot, and the massive triple slot cooler, I'm thinking we're about to get another Fermi.

Sources

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-graphics-card-pictured

https://twitter.com/GarnetSunset/status/1296891307999338496?s=20

Given the dimensions of it, I would imagine some kind of secondary support would be required from the motherboard side otherwise that thing is going to rip the PCIe slot off. Also that bigger fan makes the card taller than most mid-tower chassis width. Considering I had to buy a new Chassis just to fit a GTX 1080, this doesn't bode well to fitting it into the existing one unless there are no drive bays (which is mainly why the current tower can fit the 1080, there's no 3.5" drive bays at the height of the motherboard, they're at the height of the PSU on the bottom.)

The three slot opening probably anchors it to the chassis, but that doesn't put anything into the chassis to protect the part the farthest away from the slot. Even in Dell and HP systems, on x60-class parts there's like a shroud or retaining clip into the end of the chassis. That's something that only OEM's can get away with. A standard whitebox PC doesn't have such a thing.

It might simply be that you won't be able to use this card in anything but a HEDT.

2 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

not a big fan of those prices though

High RPM Screaming Intensifies

44 minutes ago, Anarchyz11 said:

Chances they where going to step back from 2080Ti pricing was slim.

i really dont like the fans on opposite sides

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

1 hour ago, Anarchyz11 said:

Well the prices aren't that surprising, but kinda disappointing because the 1080 was closer to $600, I'd like to upgrade but I might wait and see if AMD has anything that can compete at a more reasonable cost.

I don't like this founders edition design though, too big for a lot of cases, also probably complicated to disassemble for re-pasting the GPU.

That's just insane! Can we not just have a PC be a giant GPU board with a place to stick the CPU and RAM in the corner some place? If you're going to go big, go all the way or go home!

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

That's a huge insult to Twisted Sister. Just sayin.

3 hours ago, Results45 said:

Well the top Navi 2x is anywhere between 80-100% better than the 5700XT given that the new Xbox matches a 2080 Super. This supposed "RTX 3090" WILL trump the RTX TITAN. Probably by 40 percent or more. Though I wouldn't be surprised if this is the Titan A instead.

Basically, Nvidia is scared.

That number seems to wiggle around a bit.  I’ve seen between 30-33% vs the 1080ti which is basically a titan with less memory. 40% could happen I suppose. Especially with 35% more heat.  We’ll see.  There another thread about a leak that 3090 “partner cards” were running between $1750 and $1900. Even 40% more speed With a 50% price increase doesn’t seem like much of an update.  If it’s a titan replacement it’s for people who want speed at all costs though so that may not matter much. 

There was a statement that the 3090 would be 7nm from TSMC, and the other cards would be 8nm from Samsung, so this card May say nothing at all about either speed or price point of the other GPUs being released.  The near doubling of prices if it is a titan replacement is worrisome though. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

power consumption is rumored to be high 300s at stock with OC being able to pull close to 500W

some people are talking about how this screams the HD4xx0 launch. rush hot a heavy cards only to get beat by much more efficient and likely faster ones weeks later

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs