The RTX 3090 is a colossal triple slot graphics card

illegalwater
31 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

This is not my photo, but someone did the work to make a non skewed or zoomed comparison based on a know size (Pci-e slots are a standard size) 

It's big, but the initial two shot composite image does make the 3090 look much bigger in my opinion. Regardless, not much longer and we can avoid rumors and speculation. 

09-44-25-025.jpg

I thought about doing this. The problem is the pcie clots on the 3090 are weirdly overlaid in the photo. I couldn’t trust it.  I thought about counting and measuring the connector pads for each pin but it’s a pita and the photograhphy isn’t high Rez enough, plus a correct count wouldn’t mean anything.  Only an incorrect count. 
 If the slots weren’t messed with in the 3090 image it could be this way.  We know they have to be different designs though because the cross on the front of the 3080 has a bar on it. We also know one is three slot and one is two slot. Or at least they had 3 and two slot connectors on them. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

17 hours ago, Results45 said:

Well it's AMD all the way then.

Assuming AMD even makes mobile available and OEMs use it. Still no RX 5700M anywhere...

9 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

This is not my photo, but someone did the work to make a non skewed or zoomed comparison based on a know size (Pci-e slots are a standard size) 

It's big, but the initial two shot composite image does make the 3090 look much bigger in my opinion. Regardless, not much longer and we can avoid rumors and speculation. 

09-44-25-025.jpg

Hmm... It goes in my PC case. I measured that my PC case can to receive a graphic card with dimensions up to 38x18cm :)

PC #1 : Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI | i7-7700 | Cryorig C7 Cu | 32GB DDR4-2400 | LSI SAS 9211-8i | 240GB NVMe M.2 PCIe PNY CS2030 | SSD&HDDs 59.5TB total | Quantum LTO5 HH SAS drive | GC-Alpine Ridge | Corsair HX750i | Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz (plugged HDMI port, shared with PC #2) | Win10
PC #2 : Gigabyte MW70-3S0 | 2x E5-2689 v4 | 2x Intel BXSTS200C | 32GB DDR4-2400 ECC Reg | MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X | 2x 1TB SSD SATA Samsung 870 EVO | Corsair AX1600i | Lian Li PC-A77 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 2560x1440 @ 144 Hz (plugged DP port, shared with PC #1) | Win10
PC #3 : Mini PC Zotac 4K | Celeron N3150 | 8GB DDR3L 1600 | 250GB M.2 SATA WD Blue | Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB | Samsung Blu-ray writer USB | Genius SP-HF1800A | TV Panasonic TX-40DX600E UltraHD | Win10
PC #4 : ASUS P2B-F | PIII 500MHz | 512MB SDR 100 | Leadtek WinFast GeForce 256 SDR 32MB | 2x Guillemot Maxi Gamer 3D² 8MB in SLI | Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 ISA | 80GB HDD UATA | Fortron/Source FSP235-60GI | Zalman R1 | DELL E151FP 15" TFT 1024x768 | Win98SE

Laptop : Lenovo ThinkPad T460p | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 2133 | GeForce 940MX | 240GB SSD PNY CS900 | 14" IPS 1920x1080 | Win11

PC tablet : Fujitsu Point 1600 | PMMX 166MHz | 160MB EDO | 20GB HDD UATA | external floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 800x600 touchscreen | AGFA SnapScan 1212u blue | Win98SE

Laptop collection #1 : IBM ThinkPad 340CSE | 486SLC2 66MHz | 12MB RAM | 360MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" DSTN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

Laptop collection #2 : IBM ThinkPad 380E | PMMX 150MHz | 80MB EDO | NeoMagic MagicGraph128XD | 2.1GB IDE | internal floppy drive | internal CD-ROM drive | Intel PRO/100 Mobile PCMCIA | 12.1" FRSTN 800x600 16-bit color | Win98

Laptop collection #3 : Toshiba T2130CS | 486DX4 75MHz | 32MB EDO | 520MB IDE | internal floppy drive | 10.4" STN 640x480 256 color | Win3.1 with MS-DOS 6.22

And 6 others computers (Intel Compute Stick x5-Z8330, Giada Slim N10 WinXP, 2 Apple classic and 2 PC pocket WinCE)

Alkso should go in something like the H200/210 too, but I do realise these are more like mATX size.

Would need an ITX case with room for a long triple slot card which most of them don’t have.   If there is one though it would work.  Might have to do itx in a matx case

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Would need an ITX case with room for a long triple slot card which most of them don’t have.   If there is one though it would work.  Might have to do itx in a matx case

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Thermaltake Core P1.

4 minutes ago, Derangel said:

I'm sure it's existence will encourage more.

8 minutes ago, Derangel said:

It looks like an atx case viewing the pics.  

Just now, Bombastinator said:

It looks like an atx case viewing the pics.  

It's basically a giant ITX case.

I was planning my build (‚4900x‘ or 4950x + 3090) in the ROG Z11 case - if that thing is ever being released. I wonder if ASUS accounts for the size of their 3090 or if I have to go ATX. 

On 8/23/2020 at 9:37 PM, Lord Vile said:

Can’t wait to see someone try this in an ITX system 

Well that was my plan, I have a very compact 3950X build and was saving the GPU for next release.

My case will not handle triple slot though, so I’m gonna have to hope a board partner releases a more compact version. 

43 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

Well that was my plan, I have a very compact 3950X build and was saving the GPU for next release.

My case will not handle triple slot though, so I’m gonna have to hope a board partner releases a more compact version. 

Did see a Leaked pic of a two slotter.  It was water cooled and not what I’d call “compact”. might fit though.  Reported asking price was $1750

Edited by Bombastinator

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Did see a Leaked pic of a two slotter.  It was water cooled and not what I’d call “compact”. might fit though.  Reported asking price was $1750

Will see, water cooling is unlikely to work. I think I can handle 2.5 slots and 30cm of length. Am more likely to step down a tier of GPU than buy a wider case so will see what ends up being released.

On 8/22/2020 at 7:36 AM, Kierax said:

I still expect Linus to try to put two in a system.

Nah, not even Linus is that much of a noob.

He’ll put 4 as a bare minimum and then render the entirety of the next Avengers movie on it.

Kogan 144hz monitor (Overclocked to 165) Ryzen 3 3100, RX 580 Gigabyte Windforce (1450 mhz) 2 x 8GB CL15 DDR4 3133 (Overclocked from 2400) Phanteks P300 white (RGB set to purple), Zarrius Deskpad (I have the yellow one), Razer Deathadder Essential, CK62 wireless (don’t use it wireless)

On 8/24/2020 at 3:54 AM, Bombastinator said:

Coolermaster NR200?

Kogan 144hz monitor (Overclocked to 165) Ryzen 3 3100, RX 580 Gigabyte Windforce (1450 mhz) 2 x 8GB CL15 DDR4 3133 (Overclocked from 2400) Phanteks P300 white (RGB set to purple), Zarrius Deskpad (I have the yellow one), Razer Deathadder Essential, CK62 wireless (don’t use it wireless)

9 minutes ago, Dredgy said:

Will see, water cooling is unlikely to work. I think I can handle 2.5 slots and 30cm of length. Am more likely to step down a tier of GPU than buy a wider case so will see what ends up being released.

There was an air cooled one as well.  Don’t know how many slots it was.  Big’un though.  Iirc they wanted even more for that one. The 3090 is not unlikely to be the only 7nm TSMC card released, at least until TSMC has some spare 7nm fabs to rent out.  Everything else is being done on Samsung. The problem with the Samsung stuff is it’s a pig in a poke. No one’s seen any of it so no one knows how well (if?)  the stuff will actually work. 

On 8/22/2020 at 6:09 AM, Escanor said:

Feels like rtx 3090 is more like a titan then a ti

On 8/22/2020 at 7:57 AM, porina said:

What if... the "3090" has 24GB of vram, but the "3080" and below have more traditional 8-12GB. Thus the top model not only has the higher performance, but you have to pay for the extra vram also. It does seem to be more like a Ti/Titan replacement, where it would be cheap for a Titan, but expensive for a Ti. 

If the different rumors would be confirmed (size, TDP, VRAM, Titan replacement), then this is looking more like a benchmark-topper than a card they actually expect you to buy - a "whatever it takes to keep our gaming brand on top of charts" halo product, in case there's strong enough competition in the more sensible segments.

On 8/24/2020 at 1:54 AM, Bombastinator said:

Lian Li TU150 should fit it.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

There was an air cooled one as well.  Don’t know how many slots it was.  Big’un though.  Iirc they wanted even more for that one. The 3090 is not unlikely to be the only 7nm TSMC card released, at least until TSMC has some spare 7nm fabs to rent out.  Everything else is being done on Samsung. The problem with the Samsung stuff is it’s a pig in a poke. No one’s seen any of it so no one knows how well (if?)  the stuff will actually work. 

Do we have ‚confirmation‘ from a reliable leaker that the 3090 is TSMC? I thought so far it‘s just wishful thinking, but I haven’t kept up with the massive of amount of leaks in the last couple of days, so I‘d be happy to learn more about this

I don't like or trust this source, but they certainly do make a lot of noise and are frequently mentioned in rumour threads. Take it for what it's worth. 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 8/22/2020 at 5:07 AM, Valentyn said:

It better slap around the Titan V, and RTX. Daddy needs some grunt for Dwarf Fortress

I thought DF is CPU intensive. Did the dev added OpenCL/CUDA support?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

8 hours ago, Dredgy said:

With that TDP likely not

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

3 minutes ago, Lord Vile said:

With that TDP likely not

No, but if it can be shrunk to just 2.5 slots, it would fit. Will be interested to see what the board partners come out with.