The RTX 3090 is a colossal triple slot graphics card

illegalwater

Well I hope (think) this is a prototype and the final design will be smaller less ridiculous... 

And I also hope that goes for the lower cards of course as I'm not in the market for a ~ $2000 card 😁 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Escanor said:

Feels like rtx 3090 is more like a titan then a ti

Theyll probably release a TI at 90% the 6090 later.

1 hour ago, porina said:

Lost track of all the rumours, but let's throw into the mix the "big vram" rumours.

What if... the "3090" has 24GB of vram, but the "3080" and below have more traditional 8-12GB. Thus the top model not only has the higher performance, but you have to pay for the extra vram also. It does seem to be more like a Ti/Titan replacement, where it would be cheap for a Titan, but expensive for a Ti. Unification between the two models isn't a bad thing. It could leave the door open in future for a more affordable 3090 lite (3080 super?), with less vram to go in that price gap, should the competition provoke it.

On that note,   I think you could be right but 8-12 isn't gonna cut it next gen when a ps5 allegedly comes with 16 (shared)  and NV knows it. 

So if that's the case they're clearly counting on double dippers for the then inevitable "S" versions (which will be more powerful, have more ram and will be cheaper) imo 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

please let that be a 3090. my life can't handle an XHXL 3 slot card ¡-¡

3080 is slim as the leaks shown.  this probably is 3090 if it exists or a 3080 Ti version.

Details separate people.

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

On that note,   I think you could be right but 8-12 isn't gonna cut it next gen when a ps5 allegedly comes with 16 (shared)  and NV knows it. 

Consoles have shared ram so that has to feed both the CPU and GPU. They will be even more limited than a PC, generally speaking, where we have 16GB system ram and 8+ on GPU assuming a mid to high end gaming system. Both next gen consoles are putting the effort into making the SSD system more usable as an overflow for when that ram will run out.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, petercoffin80 said:

I need one so awful, and afterward I realize I'll wind up playing Rocket League or something...

Yeah, I feel like a lot of people underestimate the amount of indie- or esports-titles they end up playing that don‘t really leverage a 2080/3080ti/3090. I certainly do lol

Just now, naturallyaspirated6 said:

Yeah, I feel like a lot of people underestimate the amount of indie- or esports-titles they end up playing that don‘t really leverage a 2080/3080ti/3090. I certainly do lol

The one I think may be telling atm is the microsoft flight simulator 2020 which apparently needs a big card just to run at vaguely playable framrates.  It might just be an optimization issue.  RDR2 was apparently that way when it first came out but got better.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The one I think may be telling atm is the microsoft flight simulator 2020 which apparently needs a big card just to run at vaguely playable framrates.  It might just be an optimization issue.  RDR2 was apparently that way when it first came out but got better.

Agreed, though I‘ve been told that Microsoft‘s Flight Simulators always had system requirements for ultra settings that would only be achieved by future hardware. The last one I played was 2000 IIRC and all I can personally say is that it ran shitty on my dad‘s Brand new PC back then too. 

RDR2 definitely improved due to optimizations (I assume?) but Flight Sim will be great to put Ampere and Big Navi to the test.

You know, this card just makes the largest gaming card on the market look small. 

4 minutes ago, wamred said:

You know, this card just makes the largest gaming card on the market look small. 

So it's E-Peen is bigger is what your saying?

34 minutes ago, naturallyaspirated6 said:

Flight Sim will be great to put Ampere and Big Navi to the test.

It probably won't because there's no CPU that can achieve much higher framerates, at least not before they update the game to improve the performance.

1080p Ultra:

Spoiler

spacer.pngspacer.png

1080p Medium:

Spoiler

spacer.png

You can clearly see that at 1080p there's no proper GPU scaling, and the medium one shows that basically everything above the 1660 Super performs within 15% of each other when using a 3950X. At 4k Ultra it will work as a GPU benchmark, but lower resolutions would likely be held back by other components.

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

There's certainly room for improvement. It's a DX11 title for now, and DX12 support expected at some point in future.

5 hours ago, KaitouX said:

You can clearly see that at 1080p there's no proper GPU scaling, and the medium one shows that basically everything above the 1660 Super performs within 15% of each other when using a 3950X. At 4k Ultra it will work as a GPU benchmark, but lower resolutions would likely be held back by other components.

The HardwareUnboxed video (presumably same as the techspot post, but I didn't compare) did suggest FS was heavily using 4 threads (NOT 4 cores as they said in video) based on a task manager screenshot shown. The 4 higher activity threads were all on two cores. I'd speculate turning off HT/SMT may help performance, especially on higher core count CPUs. I'd want to get the code running on each core as best possible, and that means not running two threads through one fighting with each other for resources.

Probably getting off topic for this thread, but someone needs to do more CPU specific testing to understand that better. Guru3D did a bit more, but still doesn't answer the question. It is looking like optimisations around the CPU might release higher fps potential from the GPU, but faster GPUs can still help at more extreme settings.

Also consider the nature of this type of game, it doesn't demand high fps in any meaningful way. Something in the 30-60fps zone, preferably with some kind of VRR, is still sufficient. While I don't own the title yet, I'd like to aim for 4k60+ Ultra with a next gen card. With existing cards I think I'd have to back off to High setting based on benchmarks and visual comparisons shown elsewhere. Medium/low are mush in comparison and at that point, why even bother.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 minutes ago, porina said:

There's certainly room for improvement. It's a DX11 title for now, and DX12 support expected at some point in future.

The HardwareUnboxed video (presumably same as the techspot post, but I didn't compare) did suggest FS was heavily using 4 threads (NOT 4 cores as they said in video) based on a task manager screenshot shown. The 4 higher activity threads were all on two cores. I'd speculate turning off HT/SMT may help performance, especially on higher core count CPUs. I'd want to get the code running on each core as best possible, and that means not running two threads through one fighting with each other for resources.

Probably getting off topic for this thread, but someone needs to do more CPU specific testing to understand that better. Guru3D did a bit more, but still doesn't answer the question. It is looking like optimisations around the CPU might release higher fps potential from the GPU, but faster GPUs can still help at more extreme settings.

Also consider the nature of this type of game, it doesn't demand high fps in any meaningful way. Something in the 30-60fps zone, preferably with some kind of VRR, is still sufficient. While I don't own the title yet, I'd like to aim for 4k60+ Ultra with a next gen card. With existing cards I think I'd have to back off to High setting based on benchmarks and visual comparisons shown elsewhere. Medium/low are mush in comparison and at that point, why even bother.

Had a sudden thought regarding MsFS.  What is Microsoft’s biggest new product? XboxX. Their biggest game ever gets a total refresh months before launch after 15 years.   Why do I suspect this thing is going to run on Xbox better than on PC?   This thing might actually be the best look yet at what is in the XboxX.   What is different about XboxX than aPC that this thing would take advantage of?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This thing might actually be the best look yet at what is in the XboxX.   What is different about XboxX than aPC that this thing would take advantage of?

The first thing that springs into mind is next gen GPU. We don't know how either side (red or green) will really do in that area yet. I have mentioned before, we might need to stop looking so much at "basic" performance of pre-RTX/DLSS era, because performance of features such as those (or whatever the AMD equivalent may be) will drive forward looking games. Such support isn't present in the PC version right now. If they put that feature support in XB first, the PC will lag even if it will otherwise have overall higher specification.

2 minutes ago, porina said:

The first thing that springs into mind is next gen GPU. We don't know how either side (red or green) will really do in that area yet. I have mentioned before, we might need to stop looking so much at "basic" performance of pre-RTX/DLSS era, because performance of features such as those (or whatever the AMD equivalent may be) will drive forward looking games. Such support isn't present in the PC version right now. If they put that feature support in XB first, the PC will lag even if it will otherwise have overall higher specification.

The thing has an absolute crap ton of files, Its apparently got a largely unthreaded engine which would not make sense on an Xbox, which is both multithread and slower. I wonder if the threading could maybe be broken up with suspicious ease.  Perhaps this is both a beta and an advertisement.  People will go apeshit trying to build a machine to get it to run and then microsoft can come along and say “look how fast our machine is beating these heavy hitter PCs” it might actually BE partially optimized for Xbox already with specific aim at maximizing Xbox advantages.  Interesting bit is to do that they reveal those advantages and by doing so weaknesses as well.   Makes me curious where the really slow bit and the really fast bits are. 

On 8/21/2020 at 5:00 PM, illegalwater said:

Wow

The big question is can it run MS Flight simulator 2020?

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

20 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Moore’s law is saying 400w with OC for 3090. Apparently this is a different card than the earlier one pictured. This video is at least just short of 9 minutes.  Far far less than the 45 min they usually are.  He made comparisons to the 200 series vs the 4000 series.

card we were first shown was a 3080 not the 3900 now pictured.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

16 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The big question is can it run MS Flight simulator 2020?

I think it’s possible it was specifically designed to be this way.  Dollars to doughnuts the Microsoft XboxX is going to be “what’s the big deal?  Feel bad because I’m better?”  A game that hasn’t been redone in15 years comes out again with bizarre specs months befor the console is released?  Doesn’t sound very coincidental to me. 

Edited by Bombastinator

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

card we were first shown was a 3080 not the 3900 now pictured.

Umm... yes?  That’s what I said I thought.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Umm... yes?  That’s what I said I thought.

you said different card. i was trying to provide more clarity

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

you said different card. i was trying to provide more clarity

Ah yes.  I see it now, thx :)  ... and it’s too old to fix the typo now of course.. argh. 

*readies the metal saw to cut out a chunk in my tower*

which i am actually serious with, i love my current Tower and before i sell and try to find an equally good one to fit such a beast, i rather modify my existing one^^'

This is not my photo, but someone did the work to make a non skewed or zoomed comparison based on a know size (Pci-e slots are a standard size) 

It's big, but the initial two shot composite image does make the 3090 look much bigger in my opinion. Regardless, not much longer and we can avoid rumors and speculation. 

09-44-25-025.jpg