The RTX 3090 is a colossal triple slot graphics card

illegalwater
On 8/28/2020 at 7:58 PM, BroliviaWilde said:

Not sold on that one. I know, it's not all form follows function here, but given that even the reference design uses 100mm or even larger fans - why TF do you design a card thats a good 3cm / over an inch higher than the PCI Slot brackets and still put measly 92mm fans on it? its not like they did not have the space, given the height / width of the card?

Sure, you can't judge a cooler by its cover looks, but that seems like last years design wit ha diffferent LED shroud on it...

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

I gotta say the FE design looks really interesting and, at least to me, aesthetically pleasing. 

I do want a Strix card again though and my wishful thinking is that ASUS does the same thing they did to their Ryujin AIO and don‘t bother with crappy fans and just slap Noctuas on there. If only....

okay, the leaks were pretty right. even though the images were a bit fuzzy posted by OP that had me go a bit skeptical, it's pretty much confirmed officially to be a massive unit as shown.

105761320_3090RTX.thumb.PNG.b6202da87c1225f3097b792311858be2.PNG

Details separate people.

On 8/21/2020 at 10:28 PM, Mateyyy said:

Hold UP. HE IS THE ONE THAT DID THIS?!?! I DIDN'T KNOW. OMG

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 4:16 PM, Speakerator said:

Not sold on that one. I know, it's not all form follows function here, but given that even the reference design uses 100mm or even larger fans - why TF do you design a card thats a good 3cm / over an inch higher than the PCI Slot brackets and still put measly 92mm fans on it? its not like they did not have the space, given the height / width of the card?

Sure, you can't judge a cooler by its cover looks, but that seems like last years design wit ha diffferent LED shroud on it...

What grinds my gears more is how everyone is bragging how backplate is helping and then they make cutout for GPU part. WHAT?! GPU's back side also heats up and instead of placing a thermal pad there and making it contact with backplate expanding the surface, they make a hole there in the backplate so it has tiny surface area and only cooled by air that happens to be there. Ugh. Also I was a huge fan of Inno3D's iChill X4 that had dedicated heatpipes going down through power delivery circuitry and having it's own small 4th fan for them. From marketing photos at least, the main cooler seems to be contacting the power circuitry and the 4th fan is just attached there doing god knows what. It all just feels so lazy and filled with flashy oversized shrouds and bunch of stupid LEDs.

I also wonder why no one makes heatsink fins go length wise with fans slightly angled towards the case back brackets with exhaust the size of RTX 3000 FE cards so it would be pushing air out the back instead of half into the case and half into the motherboard. I only recall Sapphire doing such design once with fins length wise instead perpendicular to the card, I think it was on AMD's Polaris series cards, just not with angled fans.

It's not just laptops that are screwed, it's also SFF stuff.

It's like, get a Mini ITX board and case, then cut the entire bottom off the case, and just use your graphics card as the bottom of your computer. Then wonder why your desk catches on fire...

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Hey everyone - two updates for you today.

First, GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition reviews (and all related technologies and games) will be on September 16th at 6 a.m. Pacific Time.

Get ready for benchmarks!

Second, we’re excited to announce that the GeForce RTX 3070 will be available on October 15th at 6 a.m. Pacific Time.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/397315/rtx-3080-founders-edition-review-date-sept-16th-/

We have a date for review embargo lifting, and 3070 availability (was previously only given as October).

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible