RAM and SSD prices soon to plummet due to oversuply

AndreiArgeanu

Summary

RAM and SSD prices soon to fall due to oversupply after manufacturers stocked up way too much due to the fears of the pandemic

2016-12-04-image-10.jpg

Quotes

Despite the traditional peak season for electronics sales and the release of Apple's new iPhones in 3Q20, the quarterly decline in NAND flash ASP [average selling price] will likely reach 10 percent, due to the client end's excess inventory under the impact of the pandemic

The reason for the price decline comes down to supply and demand. There's too much memory around and manufacturers aren't buying it—both Western Digital and Micron are just two firms that have slowed their purchasing.

Deutsche Bank analyst Sidney Ho writes (via Barron's) that data centers and other enterprise customers stockpiled memory devices at the start of the pandemic over fears of a future shortage. That's caused an oversupply, meaning less demand from customers in the coming quarters.

My thoughts

This could be great to be honest, SSD prices lowering and ram prices as well with the 3000 series nvidia gpus and AMD's new GPU's and CPU's could make for the perfect time to build a new system, or upgrade your current one.

Sources

TechSpot DRAMeXchange

Do we really expect the customer to see this price difference? I wouldn't be surprised if all the middle-men (suppliers, stores, etc.) to gobble up some of that savings.

But I wouldn't mind getting some more RAM and maybe another SSD.

Although I really am looking for a price reduction in large (non-SMR preferably) HDD's.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, EridanusSV said:

Might be able to get a complete 64GB RAM set instead of waiting for the next paycheck. This is dope.

For real! I’m always down for cheaper hardware that still performs great. Might be time to plan that server build and start snagging parts 

Cue manufacturers slowing down production in order to get prices back up. That or a mystery "fire" or "flood" will suddenly happen and they "lose" 50% of their supply out of nowhere.

IMO, more so than RAM, I am more excited to see SSD prices fall. If 1TB or more SSDs becomes as cheap(or cheaper) as HDDs... That'd be great.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

SSDs prices have BEEN PLUMMETING on r/buildapcsales.

1TB TLC for $70-80

If it gets any lower I don't think my wallet could take it

tenor.gif

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I guess I'm going to get my nvme SSD early.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I'll believe it when I see it to be honest, of course the fact that next gen consoles will run entirely on ssd's is gonna help with boosting the supply of ssd's in the market in general but every time an article like this comes out it's usually bogus and doesn't apply to us as consumers directly but rather OEM's and so on. 

40 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Summary

My thoughts

This could be great to be honest, SSD prices lowering and ram prices as well with the 3000 series nvidia gpus and AMD's new GPU's and CPU's could make for the perfect time to build a new system, or upgrade your current one.

Sources

TechSpot DRAMeXchange

This is why I say wait for the tail-end of a technology's lifespan and just max it out rather than over-spend on new tech. If you have a DDR4 system, then max out the RAM if you have the money, and then hang onto the system till 2024.

I ❤️ hardware

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

What I paid for an NVMe SSD and RAM two years ago is double what I would pay today.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

1 hour ago, EridanusSV said:

Might be able to get a complete 64GB RAM set instead of waiting for the next paycheck. This is dope.

You have use for 64gb of ram?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

You have use for 64gb of ram?

Me no. But if the price is gud, why not.

Spoiler

CHROOOOOOOOOOME YOU FUCKING RAM EATING MONSTER!!!!!

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Starting to sound like this glut won’t last very long.  It’s over stockpiling not over production. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Thanks for the info,but SSDs are not the storage solution for me,I prefer longevity over durability,SSDs cells eventually wear out completely,as for hard drives you have to wait for a mechanical component to fail,and if there is no damage to the platter it can be fixed.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Is there a way to find out when an SSD is going to fail given they have a pretty much set write endurance? It seems if that's possible it would be easier to plan for than a mechanical drive. I saw the new SK Hynix drives are using 4D NAND that's set to have much higher write endurance.

2 minutes ago, W.D. Stevens said:

Is there a way to find out when an SSD is going to fail given they have a pretty much set write endurance? It seems if that's possible it would be easier to plan for than a mechanical drive. I saw the new SK Hynix drives are using 4D NAND that's set to have much higher write endurance.

Both mechanical drives and SSDs have this.  They’re generally referred to as “drive health” apps.  HDDs are a bit less predictable though.  The general rule with HDDs is that if just about anything shows up on drive health it means things are going to get worse.  Possibly very slowly, possibly very fast.   With SSDs it’s more of a slow grind.  

3 hours ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

I guess I'm going to get my nvme SSD early.

Off topic but seeing your pfp makes me hungry.

1 can dream and hope etc.  If they do drop enough I might even stock up on a few mid size SSD's and 16G  sticks so I don't have to wait for shipping when I upgrade shit at home.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 minutes ago, W.D. Stevens said:

S.M.A.R.T has been around since IDE drives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

A field study at Google[4] covering over 100,000 consumer-grade drives from December 2005 to August 2006 found correlations between certain S.M.A.R.T. information and annualized failure rates:

• In the 60 days following the first uncorrectable error on a drive (S.M.A.R.T. attribute 0xC6 or 198) detected as a result of an offline scan, the drive was, on average, 39 times more likely to fail than a similar drive for which no such error occurred.
  • First errors in reallocations, offline reallocations (S.M.A.R.T. attributes 0xC4 and 0x05 or 196 and 5) and probational counts (S.M.A.R.T. attribute 0xC5 or 197) were also strongly correlated to higher probabilities of failure.
  • Conversely, little correlation was found for increased temperature and no correlation for usage level. However, the research showed that a large proportion (56%) of the failed drives failed without recording any count in the "four strong S.M.A.R.T. warnings" identified as scan errors, reallocation count, offline reallocation and probational count.
  • Further, 36% of failed drives did so without recording any S.M.A.R.T. error at all, except the temperature, meaning that S.M.A.R.T. data alone was of limited usefulness in anticipating failures.[5]

That last point is a key point. The temperature is the most important pre-fail warning, and doesn't always trigger a failure mode before it just stops working.

With NVMe drives, they have a more predictable life span for wear count, but are still unpredictable for other failures like temperature.

Like if you want a drive to last the longest, proper cooling, and proper care is required. For all flash drives, the larger the drive, and the more space kept free, the longer it will last. If you work out of the last 2% of the drive, you're going to wear it out super fast.

10 minutes ago, vortextech77 said:

Off topic but seeing your pfp makes me hungry.

Ok....

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

32 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Thanks for the info,but SSDs are not the storage solution for me,I prefer longevity over durability,SSDs cells eventually wear out completely,as for hard drives you have to wait for a mechanical component to fail,and if there is no damage to the platter it can be fixed.

can and should are different things.  Repairing a HDD platter requires a clean room and if you have it done it can cost a grand. 

On wear differences between SSDs and HDDs:

Spoiler

It’s not that SSDs necessarily last less long than HDDs.  They can last far longer.  Though also much less long.  It depends on how they are used.   They have a different wear pattern. HDDs wear by revolutions of the platter, so more or less by uptime. If the drive is spinning the drive is wearing.  So by uptime but not by reads and writes.  If you write to a drive nearly constantly a HDD will last longer.  SSDs wear by writes.  Not reads, just writes.  So if you write nearly constantly to a drive an SSD can wear out extremely quickly.  If you DONT though they can last a very very long time. It’s why people put the OS on a SSD.  It gets read every time the computer starts up, but it only gets written to if there’s an update.  So pretty rarely. 

30 minutes ago, Kisai said:

S.M.A.R.T has been around since IDE drives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

That last point is a key point. The temperature is the most important pre-fail warning, and doesn't always trigger a failure mode before it just stops working.

With NVMe drives, they have a more predictable life span for wear count, but are still unpredictable for other failures like temperature.

Like if you want a drive to last the longest, proper cooling, and proper care is required. For all flash drives, the larger the drive, and the more space kept free, the longer it will last. If you work out of the last 2% of the drive, you're going to wear it out super fast.

S.M.A.R.T is helpful to proactively replace a failing drive...IF you're lucky to have such an advanced warning. More often than not in my experience, an HDD will just outright fail. *poof* dead! Ether can't be enumerated, or click of death (actuator arm seeking the servo track data). Most of the time, it's the logic board that has suffered some surface mount component failure. It's a relatively easy fix that involve just replacing the PCB from a donor drive. Yeah, most HDD errors are attributed to electrical than mechanical.

As for SSDs: I've had a SAN that reported 20% life left in a pair (RAID1) used as read/write cache. That was helpful as I was able to proactively replace them.