RAM and SSD prices soon to plummet due to oversuply

AndreiArgeanu
2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

You have use for 64gb of ram?

Why not

44 minutes ago, EridanusSV said:

Why not

Gaming only requires a bit more than 8 so gaming machines often have 2 8gb ddr4 sticks.   64 generally means 4 sticks of 16gb.  Makes it a lot more difficult to OC memory if that is the plan.  Also, Even if it’s cheap it’s going to be money.   A drop in price doesn’t mean free.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

You have use for 64gb of ram?

I'd take 64gb over my current 32, means I don't have to have on a swap file while doing silly things like 50 tabs open, game running and video editor open it the background

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

21 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I'd take 64gb over my current 32, means I don't have to have on a swap file while doing silly things like 50 tabs open, game running and video editor open it the background

Why stop there, check if you can put 128GB in.

5 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Why stop there, check if you can put 128GB in.

I can on my b450 board. but nothing I can do on an 8 core will max out 128gb of ram

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

50 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

If you have a swap file you need more memory alright.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

RAM and SSD prices soon to fall due to oversupply after manufacturers stocked up way too much due to the fears of the pandemic

Historically they have generally oscillated between over and under supply vs demand so it isn't unusual or specific to 2020 problems, although they may affect the timing and severity of any changes.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Gaming only requires a bit more than 8 so gaming machines often have 2 8gb ddr4 sticks.   64 generally means 4 sticks of 16gb.  Makes it a lot more difficult to OC memory if that is the plan.  Also, Even if it’s cheap it’s going to be money.   A drop in price doesn’t mean free.  

I'd dare say the number of people who need 64GB of ram probably vastly exceed the number of people who OC their ram for daily use.

Having overkill ram quantity might not directly affect fps but can have indirect benefits like faster loading time as the OS caches reads after the 1st time. Of course, the gains from doing so today are much smaller than compared to the days when people still used HDs for everything. With games getting bigger, more ram might help more often in that scenario.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

18 minutes ago, porina said:

Historically they have generally oscillated between over and under supply vs demand so it isn't unusual or specific to 2020 problems, although they may affect the timing and severity of any changes.

I'd dare say the number of people who need 64GB of ram probably vastly exceed the number of people who OC their ram for daily use.

Having overkill ram quantity might not directly affect fps but can have indirect benefits like faster loading time as the OS caches reads after the 1st time. Of course, the gains from doing so today are much smaller than compared to the days when people still used HDs for everything. With games getting bigger, more ram might help more often in that scenario.

I don’t have anything against it per se and there are situations when it’s absolutely needed.  More doesn’t hurt, generally.  I filled my old z97 board with as much ram as it would hold years ago and I’m dang glad I did as that was all of 16gb.  Turned out to be pretty useful.  The thing still plays games.  Not all that well, but it does it.   There are disadvantages to it though.  Thought they should be mentioned.

11 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Cue manufacturers slowing down production in order to get prices back up. That or a mystery "fire" or "flood" will suddenly happen and they "lose" 50% of their supply out of nowhere.

IMO, more so than RAM, I am more excited to see SSD prices fall. If 1TB or more SSDs becomes as cheap(or cheaper) as HDDs... That'd be great.

Im only interested in M.2 SSD PCIE x4 prices dropping masssively, they are still way more expensive than SATA III which is not good, SATA III is dead and needs to go away.

IIRC RAM prices have been falling again, since the "shortage" finished around 4 weeks or so ago. I have seen a lot of good prices in the UK, some of them have exceeded the lowest ever seen on some kits.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

can and should are different things.

????

Repairing a HDD platter requires a clean room and if you have it done it can cost a grand. 

Yeah i know,here is my comment again:

8 hours ago, Vishera said:

and if there is no damage to the platter it can be fixed.

. It’s why people put the OS on a SSD.  It gets read every time the computer starts up, but it only gets written to if there’s an update.  So pretty rarely. 

That one is wrong,the OS writes all the time to the SSD: page file,registry,temporary files,internet browsers,and more.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Re: can and should

theres actually a meme about this one with Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park.  In this case the instance would be “can it be fixed?” Whereas the should would be “wouldn’t it have been a ton cheaper to just move the data back when the drive worked?”

re: platter 

yup.  @StDragon mentions an instance where actually opening the drive case and removing the platter to put in a different case is not necessary.  If you’ve got to pull the platter though it need a clean room. 

7 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

8Gb will get you by with casual computing usage; a few tabs open here, e-mail, and a document or two. That leaves room for the Anti-virus program (3rd party) and Windows to breath a bit before having to resort to compression which will tax CPU cycles. If you push it any further, then paging will occur right to disk. You will definitely feel the lack of system responsiveness under that condition.

12Gb is the bare minimum nowadays for new PCs. So that means all new PCs should be purchased with 16Gb (because you're not going to find 6Gb DIMMs ;) ). Games don't need any more then that; rather surprising IMHO considering all the CPU and GPU resources get thrown at them otherwise.

If you're a heavy multi-tasker needing to edit documents/spreadsheets, research with 50+ browser tabs open, etc, you'll want to go with 24Gb. The metrics of computing usage I've seen working at an MSP shows this to be the case. Given the way DIMM kits are, might as well just double it to 32Gb total. Besides, RAM is relatively cheap now. If you're into media such a photo and video editing, it's a no-brainer.

64Gb is ideal if doing serious multi-media work, or just want to run a bunch of VMs for a lab environment. Say, testing purposes or whatnot. Or, maybe you just want to run them all the time without having to resort to hosting on another piece of bare metal. It would isolate (sandbox) things from a security perspective, and would make backing them up a lot easier.

Note: If you're seriously going to be hosting VMs 24/7 on a single PC as a server solution, I *highly* recommend going with ECC memory. That means you'll need an Intel Xeon or go AMD.

Yeah let me know when MLC drives come down in price, still quite expensive. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

after i get 128GB of ram maybe bdo wont take up 80% of my ram due to memory leak anymore

I got a 2TB SSD a while ago, don't need anything more in a while....

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

14 hours ago, thefilthycheese said:

I'll believe it when I see it to be honest, of course the fact that next gen consoles will run entirely on ssd's is gonna help with boosting the supply of ssd's in the market in general but every time an article like this comes out it's usually bogus and doesn't apply to us as consumers directly but rather OEM's and so on. 

some 1tb nvme ssd's have already dropped 30-50 euros here in the netherlands sooo xD yea they gettin lowwww may as well buy a 1t nvme gen 4 before i upgrade my pc if it continues to drop

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

5 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

some 1tb nvme ssd's have already dropped 30-50 euros here in the netherlands sooo xD yea they gettin lowwww may as well buy a 1t nvme gen 4 before i upgrade my pc if it continues to drop

Careful... you don't want QLC ones. Unless you find your SSD to be too reliable, long lasting and too fast for you.

Hmmm I have a 512Gb NVME as my boot drive. I'd definitely be tempted to upgrade it at the right price (or more likely keep it as my boot drive and get a second SSD for games that need the load times). 

27d.jpg

01101001 01100110 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101110 00100000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110101 00100000 01100001 00100000 01100111 01100101 01100101 01101011 

2 minutes ago, Some guy on the forums said:

27d.jpg

That is the best handle I have ever seen.  I have never before been tempted to change my username, much less rip one I’ve already seen, but that is beautiful.

Nah, every company in the supply chain is going to take as much of the savings possible and blame it on corona-virus. Wouldn't be surprised if memory prices stayed exactly the same. Maybe even price increases. I'm hopeful for cheaper SSD prices, but the memory industry has a track record of price fixing and tricky business.

Just built a SFFPC, I'll stock up on some 1TB and 2TB M.2's for sure.

15 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Careful... you don't want QLC ones. Unless you find your SSD to be too reliable, long lasting and too fast for you.

I remember people saying that about TLC until recently and most consumer SSDs now I think are TLC. That said, yeah, I wouldn't use QLC yet for anything important. I should have bought the 2TB 660p I had my eye on when I had the chance before it doubled in price. For laptops that are moving away from 2.5" hard drives in favour of bigger batteries (and fair enough too), if I wanted to have a media collection always with me a QLC SSD would be perfect for that. Doesn't need to greatest speeds and for the most part it'll be a write once, read many kind of deal. I really should look into creating a NAS that I can access over internet, though but that's a lot more complicated than just sticking an M.2 in a slot.