AMD preps Ryzen 9 3900XT, Ryzen 7 3800XT, Ryzen 5 3600XT for June 16

AshRiver
5 hours ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

yeap, and IMHO all of this is linked to the fact that ddr5 will arrive in 2022 instead of 2021, amd want to  squeeze only 1 architecture instead of 2 before a radical change in platform + 5 nm process, they can say that this year will be without major cpu launches as the coronavirus pandemic "delayed them" 

And they'll certainly want to beat Intel to the DDR5 punch, so makes sense.

I was wondering if AMD would release a 3900X and 3950X with two "good" CCDs instead of the current 1 good and 1 bad.  I assumed better yields would allow for this eventually as the process matured more.  

What I'm assuming will happen is better all-core performance and not so much better single-core boost speeds past 4.6GHz.  Unless now that +200MHz bit will actually add more speed than what I see.  Which is an actual +75MHz.  The reason I assume this is because I'm assuming all-core speeds are decided by the capabilities of the weaker of the two CCDs.  So if the weaker CCD can only do ~ 4.15GHz at around 1.3V (with Auto voltages) then all the cores have to do that as they boost to the same speed on both CCDs.  Which is why per CCD overclocking can be so useful for all-core workloads when you overclock.

So as it sits now you can do something like 4.4GHz on your good CCD and then 4.25GHz on your bad CCD at 1.26V . . . but if AMD is going to put two "good" CCDs into a CPU then you can just do an all-core (both CCDs) overclock of 4.4GHz at 1.26V.  That would be lovely.  

And the 3600XT would simply have a better CCD in it as a result of a matured process and better yields.

Essentially no longer having to bin the best CCDs into Epyc CPUs or other skus higher in the product stack.  

So while I don't expect much or really any improvement in single-core boost speeds (except for the 3600XT) it does seem like we could see better all-core speeds on all the XT skus.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

this seems like this would only add to the struggle to fit CPUs in bios chips

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I don't think there will be much difference between the chips but rather a simple higher PBO overclock out of the box and a higher TDP, I doubt they made architecture improvements when Zen 3 is close to being launched, they're only releasing this to get a newer release date title on their chips as most consumers don't understand what any of this means and might look the other way if they saw that Zen 2 was released in 2019 and the Intel chips are new "so that must mean they're better", basically it's a move to shit all over Intel.

As for if they expect Zen 3 would be delayed, I'm not sure, maybe they don't wanna take chances as the pandemic is unpredictable and if something happened they're afraid to lose market share because the Intel chips are newer? I think it's a bad decision as it makes all that BIOS fiasco even worse and it's far from the first time AMD has made bad decisions.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

I want 12 cores at 5ghz god damnit!

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

We will have to wait and see, but I doubt this is true.

Why would they bother, when they are on the verge of releasing Ryzen 4000 anyway?

What is the point of the refresh? What would they achieve? Having a CPU that is better than Intel? They already have that.  The difference, even in gaming terms, is utterly pointless and in all other tasks they dominate and are better priced.

I would be surprised if AMD bothered to spend the money on doing this, when they simply do not have to do anything, just release Ryzen 4000 series and complete dominate the market place.

Based on all the BIOS stuff recently, I don't buy it.  If they'd stuck with 500 series boards only for 4000 series, then they might've been able to sneak this into existing, or even say it is a zen2+ type part and also needs 500 series board.  That didn't happen though, so…I highly doubt this is real.

If it is though, I agree with the likelyhood of it being mostly binning for both chiplets for better all core boost as well as minor microcode updates, allowing them to push off zen3 a little longer until intel announces whatever comes next, in theory around the start of next year.  It could also allow something like the 3900xt or 3800xt to even more favorably compare to the intel offerings, driving even more of a stake into intel's current generation.

Actually, come to think of it.  If they just make both chiplets better binned, they may not need to do anything in bios changes to get better performance, thanks to how their boosts tend to work.  They could also call it a 3900X in bios and then allow something like Ryzen Master or the linux kernel updates to adjust how it runs based on a software SN range check or similar.

It's possible that AMD may be following Intel's naming scheme and putting a 'T' to indicate perhaps a more efficient and lower power variant

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

I do not think their doing this, if they do it will have to happen in less than 3 months time as in I would expect an announcement within a week no more. Taking wafers from zen 3 makes no sense. 

5 hours ago, Tellos said:

I do not think their doing this, if they do it will have to happen in less than 3 months time as in I would expect an announcement within a week no more. Taking wafers from zen 3 makes no sense. 

Zen 3 is 7nm+. Different production line AFAIK.

With reports of all core clocks hitting 4.5ghz on the latest batches of current gen, I’m guessing that the process has matured enough to get some higher clocked variants out there. 

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

Well it looks like if this is happening it just because yields and clocks have gotten better over time. toss a few hundred on the base and a tad on the boost. Match intel 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

15 hours ago, CarlBar said:

Zen 3 is 7nm+. Different production line AFAIK.

Yes but wafers are not themselves 7nm+ or anything their silcon wafers. Theres a limit on those.

Some are speculating that while Zen 3 will launch, it will only be for the server side so desktops won't actually get Zen 3 will 2021. I think it makes sense to refresh Zen 2 instead. Zen 2 is already killing Intel so AMD has no reason to launch Zen 3 right now. They might as well keep refining Zen 2 like Intel and the 14nm++++ for another year and focus on what really brings in the most profits, servers and data centres.

Also with Zen, we had Zen+ and then Zen 2. I always thought it was weird AMD didn't announce a Zen 2+ and is instead going straight to Zen 3. If there is a Zen 2 refresh coming, it would explain why AMD and the board partners originally didn't want to support Zen 3 on the B450 chipset.

Edited by TheRandomness
Merged cleaning

Intel Core i5-10600KF @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.25V

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi BIOS v17

XPG D50 32GB DDR4-3200 16-19-9-36 2T (Samsung M-Die)

XPG S11 Pro 1TB and Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB

ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC

Corsair RM650x

Phantek P360A with Noctua Exhaust Fans

So AMD reusing old designs is good?
But Intel reusing old designs is bad?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

2 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

AMD's design is from mid 2019
Intel's design is from early 2015

Refreshing once is fine. Refreshing every year for the better part of a decade is silliness.

In any case, Zen 3 is still coming. Feel free to mark my words. This is a stop-gap response to the 10700K

SO MANY DIFFERENT RUMORS

3900 XT, 3800 XT, 3850X, these are all over the map.

I personally believe that no matisse refresh exists and/or is planned, and only AMD marketing will prove otherwise.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, straight_stewie said:

amd is using old designs within the same generation, these are the same chips but more efficient since the manufacturing is better.
intel is using the same design from from 2015, and even then there were some changes to make them more modern.

It's not a good idea to tell amd to take a break and keep releasing zen 2, especially since intel is still king of the market by overall demand.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

58 minutes ago, geokilla said:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/72709/amd-rumored-to-refresh-matisse-cpus-with-ryzen-7-3850x-and-3750x/index.html?utm_source=ttnewsletter&utm_medium=ttemail&utm_campaign=ttcs?utm_source=ttnewsletter&utm_medium=ttemail&utm_campaign=ttcs

https://www.chiphell.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2222285&extra=page%3D1&mobile=2

Some are speculating that while Zen 3 will launch, it will only be for the server side so desktops won't actually get Zen 3 will 2021. I think it makes sense to refresh Zen 2 instead. Zen 2 is already killing Intel so AMD has no reason to launch Zen 3 right now. They might as well keep refining Zen 2 like Intel and the 14nm++++ for another year and focus on what really brings in the most profits, servers and data centres.

Also with Zen, we had Zen+ and then Zen 2. I always thought it was weird AMD didn't announce a Zen 2+ and is instead going straight to Zen 3. If there is a Zen 2 refresh coming, it would explain why AMD and the board partners originally didn't want to support Zen 3 on the B450 chipset.

I suspect what it is going to come down to is fab.  AMD has contracts with TSMC.  At a certain date TSMC is going to make a number chips on a certain node in a specific place, and AMD is going to transport and sell them.  When that happens zen3 will arrive for consumers.  If that can’t happen for a year something else will happen instead.  If that is scheduled to happen in 2 months it will happen.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

AMD's design is from mid 2019
Intel's design is from early 2015

At how many years of refreshing do you draw the line? When exactly does it stop being an acceptable thing to do?

6 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

In any case, Zen 3 is still coming.

Oh I don't doubt that at all.

My point is that, as enthusiasts and machine builders, we shouldn't care at all about how many times a company has improved an existing design vs. making a new one. Nor should we care why they did it. Those things are of no importance what-so-ever to someone who does not have a financial stake in the companies under question.

We should only care about performance or performance/cost. I'm not even saying that Intel is better at either of those, just that we should stop making arguments about architecture refreshments, because they have absolutely no bearing on anything what-so-ever to those who do not have a financial stake in the company under question.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

SO MANY DIFFERENT RUMORS

3900 XT, 3800 XT, 3850X, these are all over the map.

I personally believe that no matisse refresh exists and/or is planned, and only AMD marketing will prove otherwise.

Maybe that's why they changed their mind about 4th gen ryzen cpu support on x470/b450.....

If they refresh zen 2, then they found a way out.... 

hmmmmmm

who knows ? 

we will wait and see.

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

3 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

At how many years of refreshing do you draw the line? When exactly does it stop being an acceptable thing to do?

Oh I don't doubt that at all.

My point is that, as enthusiasts and machine builders, we shouldn't care at all about how many times a company has improved an existing design vs. making a new one. Nor should we care why they did it. Those things are of no importance what-so-ever to someone who does not have a financial stake in the companies under question.

We should only care about performance or performance/cost. I'm not even saying that Intel is better at either of those, just that we should stop making arguments about architecture refreshments, because they have absolutely no bearing on anything what-so-ever to those who do not have a financial stake in the company under question.

1 refresh per generation. The way Intel did it till 2015 and the way AMD is doing it now. Zen, Zen+, Zen 2, Zen 2+, Zen 3, Zen 3+ (in 2021) and Zen 4 in 2022

1 minute ago, Void Master said:

Maybe that's why they changed their mind about 4th gen ryzen cpu support on x470/b450.....

If they refresh zen 2, then they found a way out.... 

hmmmmmm

who knows ? 

we will wait and see.

if these are ryzen 3000, then they should work without any bios updates.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming