Should I mix this Ram and do I need more than 32GB

Go to solution Solved by Tan3l6,

Don't mix different size/model RAMs. And for usual usage (gaming or light video editing etc) it's enough.

Hey everyone!

I just bought the patriot Viper Gaming DDR4 2x16 3600 CL18 and I also have 16GB of Crucial Ballistix 3200 CL16 ram that I just removed.

I was wondering should I mix it and do I really need more than 32GB. I do some light editing, streaming sometimes and gaming.

MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x

GPU: ASUS TUF RX 6800XT

Thanks in advance!

Don't mix different size/model RAMs. And for usual usage (gaming or light video editing etc) it's enough.

I edit my posts more often than not

Posted (edited)

Thank you so much. Just as another advice I am having this feeling that I would like 64GB just for sake of having it. Should I buy it or is it a waste of money. It costs around $58ish US? 🤣

Just to add that I plan on keeping this pc for some time

Edited by Hurla

3 minutes ago, Hurla said:

Thank you so much. Just as another advice I am having this feeling that I would like 64GB just for sake of having it. Should I buy it or is it a waste of money. It costs around $58ish US? 🤣

To be honest I haven't been video editing with 32GB nor 64GB RAM, yet if you have the budget 64GB would not hurt, $58 is not really that much in my opinion, I'd go with 64GB if not in really tight budget.

2 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

To be honest I haven't been video editing with 32GB nor 64GB RAM, yet if you have the budget 64GB would not hurt, $58 is not really that much in my opinion.

Exactly and especially for Patriot which is quite good as far as I know

Edit: and 5900X could potentially benefit by it's capabilities

send thaiphoon burner screenshot of the patriot kit

ballistix will be 8gbit e die

youll be mix matching rams anyways regardless of if you buy the exact same kit since its generic xmp thatll come with completely random ics so doesnt matter if you buy another 32gb kit of the same heatspreader and bin, most ics will work fine together just that youll have trouble for 4000+ not like youll hit that anyways due to both fclk and boardlimit

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

send thaiphoon burner screenshot of the patriot kit

ballistix will be 8gbit e die

youll be mix matching rams anyways regardless of if you buy the exact same kit since its generic xmp thatll come with completely random ics so doesnt matter if you buy another 32gb kit of the same heatspreader and bin, most ics will work fine together just that youll have trouble for 4000+ not like youll hit that anyways due to both fclk and boardlimit

Does it change the fact that is at the same store and that the serial nr might be almost the same?

12 minutes ago, Hurla said:

Just to add that I plan on keeping this pc for some time

What's the amount of RAM you need  ? Are you using all of it when editing ? If yes go for 64GB,  2 sticks (4 sticks will be either slow or unstable)

Having too much RAM is useless otoh

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

7 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

What's the amount of RAM you need  ? Are you using all of it when editing ? If yes go for 64GB,  2 sticks (4 sticks will be either slow or unstable)

Having too much RAM is useless otoh

I don't use that much of a ram because editing is a strong word for what I do 🤣

I just bought 2x16GB, like an hour ago and the store has only one more kit left so that was why I wanted to buy the additional one 🤣

5 minutes ago, Hurla said:

I just bought 2x16GB, like an hour ago..

Then you'd might as  well settle with it, and if that amount is not enough, buy more...

16 minutes ago, Hurla said:

I don't use that much of a ram because editing is a strong word for what I do 🤣

I just bought 2x16GB, like an hour ago and the store has only one more kit left so that was why I wanted to buy the additional one 🤣

Ain't worth it then, you'll cripple your RAM speed for no benefit 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

If you are not in a hurry, you could check eBay.  Sometime they have very good prices on ram new and used.   

43 minutes ago, Hurla said:

Does it change the fact that is at the same store and that the serial nr might be almost the same?

no

if you are looking for quad stick or upgradable rams buy bare pcb or buy from crucial (micron)/klevv (hynix) for guaranteed compatibility and overclocking capabilities

best you can do now if you really want 64gb is to check your ram ics with thaiphoon burner and search for a bare pcb that has the exact same ic, xmp should work without a hitch assuming the board isnt garbage at running 4 stick since its the exact same ic

if your rams are 16gbit single rank expect a slight performance bump from dual rank, if 8gbit dual rank expect a slight regression as quad rank is a tiny bit worse than dual rank but still better than single rank

4 hours ago, M_Callahan said:

If you are not in a hurry, you could check eBay.  Sometime they have very good prices on ram new and used.   

This one is quite cheap for me and I don't have to wait for a delivery I can just go and buy it.

Would you say 64GB is a good choice? I have a feeling that 32 is a sweet spot nowadays and that 64 is something we actually might need in a year or 2