Converting HP Z620 into Storage Server.

Go to solution Solved by M_Callahan,

Found a HP Smart Array P800 2x 4port internal and 2x 4 port external SAS, 512MB DDRIII BBWC, RAID 0, 1, 10, 5 and 6 (with BBWC). Made by LSI  for 30.00 dollars.  Hopefully one of my cable will work with it.  I believe this solves my problem.  Thanks to all who responded. 

I am seriously thinking of converting my hpz620 into a storage server, since it uses SAS drives I was wonder what would be a good controller card to use.  It don't have to be fast just dependable.  This way I can stop using my  Dell R620 server and hopefully eliminate a switch too. (It really eats power.) and can use the drive from it.  Don't really need update windows in the z620 the version of windows 10 pro acts like a server now and remind me of it ever time I shut it down by warning me a shut down could affect other users.  Is there anything else I need or can use since I am a little out of date here with 2012 technology and really don't keep up with the latest tech because I do graphic work on the computers.  Any advice or direction is welcome since I consider myself low tech when it comes to networking. 

35 minutes ago, M_Callahan said:

since it uses SAS drives I was wonder what would be a good controller card to use

Unless you're buying cheap used SAS drives, don't worry much about it. SATA drives are perfectly fine.

Just add some drives to the machine and create a share. If you have better-than-Gigabit network infrastructure, add a high speed network card. 

Last I checked, the desktop version of Windows 10 Pro still limits you to 10 concurrent clients connecting to shares it hosts. If that's a problem and it's not going to be a workstation anymore, you can run TrueNAS.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Thanks, if wasn't for the cost of the SAS drive I would consider it.  The cost of SATA is very reasonable compared to SAS at the same size, but the cost of the SAS drive I have is around 259 US dollars each with 8 of them  5 plus spares.  I am not going to let them collect dust.   I do appreciate your suggestion. 

27 minutes ago, M_Callahan said:

Thanks, if wasn't for the cost of the SAS drive I would consider it.  The cost of SATA is very reasonable compared to SAS at the same size, but the cost of the SAS drive I have is around 259 US dollars each with 8 of them  5 plus spares.  I am not going to let them collect dust.   I do appreciate your suggestion. 

You'll need a jbod attachement of some kind as well simply  8 drives dont fit in that hp at all.

Else well just an used lsi raid card thats in it mode + jbod whattevers and done pretty much.

Do keep in mind that you cant just put the disks in the new machine and expect the data to just work and be there. Basically a guarantee its gonna be fucked so make sure you have a backup!

Also how much are all those drives combined in storage capacity? Also the age because well you may just wanna condense and get some new drives as if these are og drives from the r620 thats up to 12 years of use already which is long for a drive.

The drives are about a year old.  By the date.  Each drive is 16TB.   So I have 128TB, plus the spares.  So far I have used about 20TB.  It is ok if I lose the data. I unplugged about 4 months ago due to the cost of electricity and made back ups.  There are only dead jobs on it now.  LSI controller sound good, I used them when we had 16 bit computers.   If a jbod is a disk array enclosure with power I think we are on the right track.  Do they make a external card or will I need an adapter?

Found a HP Smart Array P800 2x 4port internal and 2x 4 port external SAS, 512MB DDRIII BBWC, RAID 0, 1, 10, 5 and 6 (with BBWC). Made by LSI  for 30.00 dollars.  Hopefully one of my cable will work with it.  I believe this solves my problem.  Thanks to all who responded.