COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
53 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Is there anything stupider than that trucker convoy? 

Unfortunately some on my friends groups (Insta and FB) are sharing support for it. Their plan is to head to Ottawa next I guess?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 people out with Covid at work. The only reason we found out is we heard it thru the grape vine. HR pretty much told us its not our concern to know who has covid, even though we are around those people daily. So currently our Warehouse Manager and Assistant Warehouse manager are out. The receiving lead is running the show, or basically telling us just to make sure we get the orders done, he's not really managing anything. 

I have a feeling when the boss comes back he might have a few disgruntled employees. I personally dont care. If I get it at this point, I get it. But I understand the frustrations of some of my coworkers. The company should have let us know were we exposed so we could take additional precautions. The only saving grace for us here is the people are out before we hit our busy season, because if we had this many people out during busy season it wouldn't be pretty. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Unfortunately some on my friends groups (Insta and FB) are sharing support for it. Their plan is to head to Ottawa next I guess?

Worried about what they're going to do.

That and the high likehood of astroturfing from foreign entities. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

coming here isnt going to do anything lol

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Actual support or 'support'-hype-train?

On 1/26/2022 at 11:28 PM, Mr_Scary said:

It was very stupid, the fact I had issues finding P100/OV/AG respirator cartridge's for work, I could not do most of my jobs sawing masonry, I could not even find P95 with exhaust valve masks which aren't good enough for what I do, I mean from the beginning I was saying, these won't work, because they exhaust your breath through a valve, filter in, no filter out. 
Amazon finally let me purchase filter cartridges after a year I think. I was breathing in masonry dust just trying to make living. 

The biggest problem with masks, those blue Dr. masks, they aren't for viruses, they are for infections. You need minimum of P95, and P100 doesn't come in mask, it comes in a cartridge for a respirator.  

I decided to not wear a mask, and just did not care anymore, watching idiots use a mask for a napkin, and put it back on, constantly touching it. 
If people are so scared that they have to wear a mask, then why go into an ice cream store to get that special flavor, I guess it's worth dying for.

Who the heck do you work for that just ignored regulatory safety and took jobs knowing they couldn't provide PPE? I work on the design side of what you do, there's no way we'd let people saw masonry on one of our jobsites without adhering to OSHA. Not only is it a gigantic safety risk to all those on site, it's a gigantic legal nightmare if someone gets injured/long-term-affected by flippant worksite safety.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

1 hour ago, atxcyclist said:

Who the heck do you work for that just ignored regulatory safety and took jobs knowing they couldn't provide PPE? I work on the design side of what you do, there's no way we'd let people saw masonry on one of our jobsites without adhering to OSHA. Not only is it a gigantic safety risk to all those on site, it's a gigantic legal nightmare if someone gets injured/long-term-affected by flippant worksite safety.

Sounded like it's his own business. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

16 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Sounded like it's his own business. 

That's correct.

17 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

I still used some sort of masks and whatever I could find, and whatever I could do to avoid breathing it, or just avoid cutting all together where possible by using a chisel and hammer. 
I've been in masonry for about 37 years more really as I was born into it, and mostly worked for my Father's company or my Own, and worked for only 1 other company. I've worked on everything from a flower bed to a skyscraper. Brick, Block, Stone, Tile, Manufactured Products, Precast, & Glass Masonry.

PC1: Intel i7-6950X | EVGA X99 FTW | EVGA RTX 2080 XC2 Ultra | SBZ | ATH-M40x | 760T | Sapphire Pro 14 | G815 | Dark Core | 
Drives: 970Evo+, 980, SN750EK | 850Pro | 6x1TB RAID0 | WD RED 4TB | WD Blk 2TB | WD Blue 4TB 
Displays: (2) ASUS VG278Q | (2) ASUS VG279Q | (1) Vizio 40" 4K HDR

Build Log: https://builds.gg/builds/raid-red-rtx-ws-14981

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/politique/2022-01-29/non-vaccines/une-taxe-de-100-a-800-selon-le-revenu.php

Quebec to institute tax on un-vaxxed from $100 to $800 depending on income. 

I tested positive on Thursday and have been feeling symptomatic since Monday or so. I have had both Pfizer-BioNTech shots as well the Pfizer-BioNTech booster though and symptoms are pretty light. Had a sore throat for a few days that has mostly gone away, occasional light headaches, and have been pretty congested. Still can smell and taste. Overall feels pretty mild and I have been ok just using Flonase daily and a Breath-Right strip at night to counteract my congested sinuses. What's funny is before any other symptom showed up I was out grocery shopping last Sunday and got that famous COVID brain fog and completely forgot I was in this section looking for some black forest ham, and had to stop and think for a minute to remember. Laughed and said I had COVID brain fog jokingly to myself and sure enough I guess I did.

Omicrom is just blowing up to hell in my area (San Antonio, Texas). Our positivity rate is almost 40%. Seems like all my friends and family have been testing positive the last month, but thankfully all mild cases so far. But we're all vaccinated too.

On 1/31/2022 at 9:28 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

But we're all vaccinated too.

Its not as effective against omicron from what I have seen. Did read somewhere they are working on a vaccine for omicron specifically. But who knows what's going on with that.

Edited by Spotty

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Its not as effective against omicron from what I have seen. Did read somewhere they are working on a vaccine for omicron specifically. But who knows what's going on with that. 

Still effective against severe reactions. Just doesn't stop infections in their tracks any more since delta. Though I imagine they still offer some protection against infection in those first three months or so. Anecdotal, but my parents went on a cruise a month and a half ago and all four of their non-boosted friends they practically spent a week with nonstop other than sleeping came back positive, but my parents who got booster shots in September didn't catch it.

On 1/24/2022 at 9:31 PM, Spotty said:

Appears they're in compliance, at least according to the most recent policy regarding masks in BC I can see online.

Seems the regulations only require masks in office buildings if providing service to members of the public. It appears office workers not open to the public aren't required to wear masks.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/about-bc-s-health-care-system/office-of-the-provincial-health-officer/covid-19/covid-19-pho-order-face-coverings.pdf

image.png

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/info/restrictions

On top of this they've also been working remotely for some live streams. You can see Luke's disembodied torso floating where he has been greenscreened in.

image.png

Thanks for your reply and explanation.

I live with someone else, this someone else, got positive, and after around a week, he/she recovered

in the days following, I should get the third shot; I asked to my doc, if it's alright, or should I wait futher, and then get the third dose; he said that it's alright as long if I'm negative, and to get a test

but for what I know covid can stay incubated as long as 14 days, and some variants, can go for more days, and testing in such cases it's irrilevant, since the viral charge is not enought hight to be reported into the testing kit, so false negatives are probable

I'm not a doc, nor I think that here is the best place where to ask, but I still have my doubts, I guess that before doing my third dose, I'll tell about it to the guy who will do that, though I don't want to open issues to them

8 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

I live with someone else, this someone else, got positive, and after around a week, he/she recovered

in the days following, I should get the third shot; I asked to my doc, if it's alright, or should I wait futher, and then get the third dose; he said that it's alright as long if I'm negative, and to get a test

but for what I know covid can stay incubated as long as 14 days, and some variants, can go for more days, and testing in such cases it's irrilevant, since the viral charge is not enought hight to be reported into the testing kit, so false negatives are probable

I'm not a doc, nor I think that here is the best place where to ask, but I still have my doubts, I guess that before doing my third dose, I'll tell about it to the guy who will do that, though I don't want to open issues to them

That’s when you have to trust health officials. CDC.gov might be a good starting point. They have it all laid out. How long you need to wait between exposure and testing. As well as guidelines if you are positive. 

21 minutes ago, 12345678 said:

Yeah look up your local health officials and/or ask the on-site doctor if they are there. Here we have on-site physicians for pre-jab checks exactly for situations like this. The time frame for the booster can change if you have COVID (3 months after your infection if you got it before your booster here), so it would be good to check this out. You won't "open issues" with them, in case you mean causing trouble, this is what they are for. If you mean not wanting to tell them in fear they'll not give you the shot, also still tell them because they won't give you the shot for a reason then (reduced efficiacy, for example).

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Legault government (Québec) backtracks on vaccine tax, after backtracking on mandatory vaccines for healthcare workers...

As a side note, I'm recovering from COVID, my daughter came back sick on Friday 10 days ago. My wife and I started having symptoms last Friday, was sick all weekend (fever, muscle aches, headache, runny nose, cough, general fatigue, loss of smell, etc...).

Getting better today and so is my wife, we're all vaccinated 2 shots. We should've get the booster but we were lazy. At least we're all fine and we're all fever free now.

Get vaccinated people, it's free and it's not worth the gamble.

Edited by Spotty

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Summary

What is already known about this topic?

Face masks or respirators (N95/KN95s) effectively filter virus-sized particles in laboratory settings. The real-world effectiveness of face coverings to prevent acquisition of SARS-CoV-2 infection has not been widely studied.

What is added by this report?

Consistent use of a face mask or respirator in indoor public settings was associated with lower odds of a positive SARS-CoV-2 test result (adjusted odds ratio = 0.44). Use of respirators with higher filtration capacity was associated with the most protection, compared with no mask use.

What are the implications for public health practice?

In addition to being up to date with recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, consistently wearing a comfortable, well-fitting face mask or respirator in indoor public settings protects against acquisition of SARS-CoV-2 infection; a respirator offers the best protection.

This figure describes how people who wore a face covering were less likely to test positive than people who didn’t wear one.

Can someone explain  me why for example  in NYC they made vaccines mandatory for private sector or to enter restaurants? While being vaccinated you still can catch virus and spread it to others. So why unvaccinated cant enter to eat? Im kind of sick of being labeled as vaccinated or unvaccinated and restrictions  that come with it..

There are more people in supermarkets or subway than in restaurants... and private sector was private for a reason... so they can make their own decisions. 

To me there is no such thing as one vaccine fits all and there are plenty of side effects stories around the internet that media wont ever bother to mention. Friend of mine developed tinnitus after 2nd dose of pfizer and now nobody cares or believes him. Hes on his own with this ringing in the ear... 

39 minutes ago, mark2999 said:

Can someone explain  me why for example  in NYC they made vaccines mandatory for private sector or to enter restaurants? While being vaccinated you still can catch virus and spread it to others. So why unvaccinated cant enter to eat? Im kind of sick of being labeled as vaccinated or unvaccinated and restrictions  that come with it..

I can't comment on why NYC decided that specifically, but yes you can still catch the virus and spread it even when vaccinated. However, when vaccinated you are susbtantially less likely to develop symptoms, and if you do they will be less severe compared to being unvaccinated. The main goal of vaccination, is to make it so that it won't be a problem when you inevitably do catch the virus. Yes, the chance of developing something is low for younger people, but there we need to consider statistics that even 0.1% of populations of millions are still many, many thousands of people. Those can easily fill up the ICU in a short amount of time and occupy normal wards if unvaccinated people develop severe symptoms. One of the reasons why unvaccinated people still face restrictions is thus to not only still keep the load on hospitals manageable, but also be able to give other kinds of care to people that need it unrelated to COVID-10. Unvaccinated people will aqcuire some form of natural immunity eventually, but you don't want the entire fraction of unvaccinated people in your hospital at once nor do you want to dedicate every resource to solely treating COVID-19 patients. As you can tell, this is a sensitive topic, but at the end of the day vaccines have been common practise for a long time now and a lot of this is all easily prevented and resolved by taking the shot if you're eligible and have no medical reasons not to take it.

51 minutes ago, mark2999 said:

There are more people in supermarkets or subway than in restaurants... and private sector was private for a reason... so they can make their own decisions.

I'm speculating here, but restricting them from supermarkets is probably not possible based on grounds of that you would be denying people access to food; one of the fundamental basic rights.

52 minutes ago, mark2999 said:

To me there is no such thing as one vaccine fits all and there are plenty of side effects stories around the internet that media wont ever bother to mention. Friend of mine developed tinnitus after 2nd dose of pfizer and now nobody cares or believes him. Hes on his own with this ringing in the ear... 

Besides being sensitive or allergic to certain compounds or taking other medication that doesn't play nice with certain ingredients, vaccines are more or less universal. The side effects of the vaccines have been extensively studied over time and are all listed if a link is found. There is no grand conspiracy going on that actively hides any of them. You are experiencing science on its front lines: not everything i 100% known beforehand. The tricky thing here is that correlation (that is something appears after doing/getting another thing) does not mean causation. A potential problem with many of those stories and even the side effect databases is that they merely record correlation, unless it's properly diagnosed and assessed that it is causation. For rare side effects this is even harder, because they do not occur often. For your example, from what I can find the British Tinnitus Association reports that in the trials no reports of tinnitus appearing or worsening was made, but link to research that reports on tinnitus being rather common after an infection. If it's a side-effect, it's a rare one. I also found an earlier study reporting it after Astra-Zeneca vaccination. There's also this study late last year that finds no significant correlation between vaccination and hearing problems:

Conclusions: There are no definite correlations to the COVID-19 pandemic or vaccination and new or worsened otologic symptoms. Vaccinated patients with new or exacerbated otologic symptoms should be promptly referred for evaluation. Suspected cases of post-vaccination otologic symptoms should be reported to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) vaccine adverse event reporting system (VAERS).

Their conclusion also touches on a very important point. By "nobody believes him" do you mean actual doctors or simply arbitrary people like you and me? If he thinks it's tinnitus then it's worth going to a doctor to get it diagnosed. Only then can it be properly investigated and added to the larger net of vaccine side-effects, if it's determined that the vaccine was indeed the cause. Even one in a million things end up on the list of side effects. If it's not on the official side-effects list that only means that there is not strong scientific evidence for it being a side effect directly caused by the vaccine.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

as for areas being locked against unvaccinated people I do disagree with, as that can be stupid and already target those who are the most vulnerable.

as for public service and work, that one should be vaccinated. If you want to block someone from an area, it should be rather people that already had the virus or is proven to not have it. So you know they will be less capable to spread something. Also it should be more focus on mask use than vaccine status.

Although certain areas might have more of a reason to only allow vaccinated people.

28 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

If you want to block someone from an area, it should be rather people that already had the virus or is proven to not have it. So you know they will be less capable to spread something.

It makes no sense to block the people you describe. People that have had the virus have a certain natural immunity, so are at less risk should they catch it. People that are proven not to have it are already allowed in over here through an "access pass" after testing negative on a PCR test and have no risk of spreading it. They are, however, much more vulnerable if they are near people that do carry it. It's impossible to stop it from spreading for a long time now. Therefore we focus on creating immunity against it.

28 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

Also it should be more focus on mask use than vaccine status.

Vaccines are hugely more important than masks. Masks don't solve the issue and only buy a little time.