COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
On 11/13/2020 at 9:11 AM, wkdpaul said:

He's in the anti-mask-reopen-everything-now group, pretty sure roaming his twitter will quickly expose that. He also said the pyramids were built by aliens, he called a rescuer a pedo, etc...

His defense is that he's just trolling, but I for one never understood trolling ... it's not funny, it's not obvious (been on Facebook lately? There's literally THOUSANDS of people that are unironically peddling stupid and dangerous opinions daily), and just make the poster look like an immature dumbass.

Intellect certainly does not equate to maturity, for better or worse. Just means the jackass has another weapon (intellect) to exploit. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

17 hours ago, Benji said:

Because those idiots usually already drunk away of the little bit that was left of their brain.

Well, they usually pissed drunk to begin with which is again, a special kind of funny to watch on the television news.

I remember years ago, in Penticton British Columbia I hit up a particular liquor store called Gables on Martin Street twice in a day about a couple hours apart, the second go around the guy was like you are only allowed to come in once a day. Luckily there was a liquor store called Clancy's across the street which which I entered 3 or times a day for weeks on end with no peep from no mouth of no employee, Clancy's was a better atmosphere and cleaniness then that particular picky liquor store called Gables. BC is also a particular kind of funny because they got government liquor stores who sell warm beer which is really a big no no, plus their hours of operation is absolutely horrible, I mean closing at 9 or 10pm again thats a big no no in my drinking days book.

But those drunks in covid days liquor store, funny funny funny. No fisticups yet I've seen on the news, which would be funny.

I have a problem. It involves COVID, and I would like to ask for advice.

I currently live with a 78 YO and a 73 YO. I have a job, which requires me to be in the public, and to have contact with, people with disabilities, as well as their caregivers, and potentially other people in public. We are required to take precautions, including wearing masks, and I have taken it upon myself to purchase latex gloves, which while they are not exactly effective at preventing transmission, they have enabled me to almost entirely eliminate me touching my face with my hands (I'll say it's cut back about 98% of this habit).

That said, the couple I live with has asked me to get a Flu shot. If anyone asked me if they should get a flu shot, I generally endorse it, and encourage others to get a flu shot.

However, I have had horrible experiences in the past with getting flu shots. I have had 3 flu shots, one in 2014, one in 2015, and one in 2016. I was 'okay' after the shot in 2014. I got a medium severity cold, which may or may not have been a viral infection. However, in 2015, I had the flu worse than I could remember; the only time before this I had vomited so violently was in 2003. And again, in 2016, I had the flu, but it was even worse; I couldn't even keep water down for 4 days.

I understand what the flu shot is, and how it's intended to work. But between 2003 and 2014, I literally never had a severe viral flu infection, many minor infections, but nothing that involved vomiting.

So, this is my conundrum: Should I get a flu shot, which isn't actually intended to help prevent or reduce COVID, but might have a slight, possibly only anecdotal effect, on this, but in 2/3 of the times I've received it has been followed by violent illness, and 3/3 times has been followed by illness anyway, I personally don't feel overly fluffy about getting another flu shot.

So, what advice are you all willing to offer me? Should I risk getting ill for a potentially anecdotal effect, or should I just keep using my PPE? I'm also worried that if I get a flu shot, it might cause me to be less diligent, which might actually defeat the purpose of getting it in the first place. 😧

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

1 hour ago, Sarra said:

So, this is my conundrum: Should I get a flu shot, which isn't actually intended to help prevent or reduce COVID

Its its designed so you dont get a double whammy of the flu and covid. Besides if you do get the flu shot and you get the sniffles you have the chance to get quarantined for two weeks and hopefully your employer will pay normal salary for that time off. It is a conumdrum which is why there are outbreaks happening, gotta pay the rent right.

8 minutes ago, Orange1 said:

Its its designed so you dont get a double whammy of the flu and covid. Besides if you do get the flu shot and you get the sniffles you have the chance to get quarantined for two weeks and hopefully your employer will pay normal salary for that time off. It is a conumdrum which is why there are outbreaks happening, gotta pay the rent right.

Unfortunately, my employer actually won't pay regular pay if I get sick. I had surgery, followed by some uncomfortable diagnostic procedures earlier this year, and I burned through my sick leave.

I'm only working 4 days a week, and the fifth day has been paid using my vacation time.

So right now, I have like 3 hours of sick leave, and uh... 2 hours or so of vacation time left, for the rest of this year.

Luckily, I can get relief from a local org that got a huge grant from the state, so if I do have to be off for 2 weeks, I can actually get money to cover my bills.

Either way, though, if I get the flu and get sick, I'm at a higher risk for serious injury, should I vomit with excessive force (I could easily tear my esophagus, thanks to a genetic thing I've got).

I'm seriously considering the version of the shot that is for people with sensitivities to some ingredients in the normal shot (I think I'm allergic to some of the preservatives in the shot).

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Yeah I dunno what versions of flu shot are out there, every country and every medical juristiction is different.

If you are risk, then getting a flu shot may be wise for you, as I said you dont want to get the double whammy, flu and covid at same time. You work in a large risk factor enviroment, dealing with the public is very high risk even with all the safe guards in place. Its not like everyone is obeying the rules with covid. Stay safe.

125183930_10159472461641002_2211727902007930917_o.thumb.png.dca64d917da25ae20874b9c1e658323c.png

Michigan is closing stuff again. BUT this is being done by the State Health Department. So that whole fact that the Supreme Court killing the governors executive orders doesn't apply. LOL. LOOP HOLES for the win. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

LOL. LOOP HOLES for the win. 

Yeah, LOOP HOLES for the saving of lives.

Its good but they really do need to explain things better so the general population has a clearer understanding of the rules and why they are implementing them. The graph looks alright, make it simple!

30 minutes ago, Orange1 said:

Its good but they really do need to explain things better so the general population has a clearer understanding of the rules and why they are implementing them.

There is a group of people within the population that are too dumb to understand. There is a group who don't give a shit. Then there's the group who decides that the governor's plan interferes with their rights so they decide to try to kidnapper her, luckily they were arrested by the FBI. 

The move means 41 of the state’s 58 counties — including San Diego and Orange — are now in the restrictive “purple” tier, which severely restricts capacity at retail establishments, closes fitness centers and limits restaurants to limited outdoor-only service. The 41 counties represent 94.1% of the state’s population.

https://timesofsandiego.com/politics/2020/11/16/governor-moves-28-counties-to-purple-tier-as-covid-surges-across-california/

>insert sad pepe meme here<

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

14 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

Moderna vaccine possibly 94.5% effective, and is easier to store and transport than the Pfizer one ;

Inb4 someone screams “thimerosal” and “autism”... 😂

notwithstanding the fact that single use syringes which is most vaccines nowadays doesn’t require thimerosal 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

10 hours ago, Dean0919 said:

Now almost everything is shut down and stopped and it's been almost 2 years like that.

Two years? Where do you live and why didn't you alert us about covid-18? :P

I think Wuhan got a lockdown some time earlier, but at least for most of the West, we are barely getting to the 9-10 months mark... 

So I'm apparently a communist fascist for supporting some kind of lockdown and/or wanting face masks to be required in public.  One of the deputies got pissed off at me, because I said, "yeah, bars should be closed, same with in-dining for restaurants." So I'm apparently a fascist.  Then he was like, "I'll taze you, you communist bastard." though he was joking on that part.  I told him he didn't know what either of those words meant and to please stop using buzzwords he heard off of Fox.  We kept going back and forth and he tried to bring the moral argument of, "what about the business owners and if they lose their business, then what?  They'll be homeless too."  He got extremely pissed off and tried to get in my face, and essentially stormed out of dispatch in a temper tantrum because I followed it up with, "there's no reason there should be more Americans dead than the past five wars combined."

For those who aren't familiar with American military history, I'm talking, Iraq War, War in Afghanistan, Gulf War, Vietnam War, and Korean War.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

3 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Then he was like, "I'll taze you, you communist bastard."

Thats when you go to the police station and file a complaint against him. At the end of the day the police work for YOU. They are paid out of tax dollars and they like all of the government officials answer to the people. And if his superiors refuse to do anything Id take the issue up with either a higher police agency OR with the local media. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Thats when you go to the police station and file a complaint against him. At the end of the day the police work for YOU. They are paid out of tax dollars and they like all of the government officials answer to the people. And if his superiors refuse to do anything Id take the issue up with either a higher police agency OR with the local media. 

I work for the sheriff's department. This would cause unneeded stress against me.  Plus my state is a right to work state.  Not worth losing my job over in the middle of a recession.

7 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

I work for the sheriff's department. This would cause unneeded stress against me.  Plus my state is a right to work state.  Not worth losing my job over in the middle of a recession.

What the deputy did was against Federal and probably state law. 1) Its illegal to threaten a co worker. 2) Law enforcement officials are not just allowed to threaten people. 

On top of that. Firing you over a complaint like that would violate Federal Labor laws, right to work or no right to work they fire you over a complain of that nature and that opens them up to lawsuits, Federal investigations and probably having protests outside the department. The police are not really well liked in this day and age. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

What the deputy did was against Federal and probably state law. 1) Its illegal to threaten a co worker. 2) Law enforcement officials are not just allowed to threaten people. 

On top of that. Firing you over a complaint like that would violate Federal Labor laws, right to work or no right to work they fire you over a complain of that nature and that opens them up to lawsuits, Federal investigations and probably having protests outside the department. The police are not really well liked in this day and age. 

I live in a small town in the middle of Trump country, man.  The outlook doesn't look amazing.  Like I said, I'm not too worried about it.  

23 hours ago, like_ooh_ahh said:

Inb4 someone screams “thimerosal” and “autism”... 😂

notwithstanding the fact that single use syringes which is most vaccines nowadays doesn’t require thimerosal 

Anti-vax people are as bad as flat-earthers, even when they fund studies trying to prove they're correct in their respective arguments, they get proven wrong. As soon as medical staff, first-responders, and other frontline people get their vaccinations (and they should be first), sign me up; My body is ready.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

18 hours ago, Donut417 said:

That's easy in theory, but it's hard in practice ;

Even police officers are bullied off the force if they try to do the right thing, so forget about office workers or dispatch workers ;

https://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/12/officer-who-issued-120-mph-ticket-suing-police-harassment/

and then the justice system sides with the bullies ;

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fl-sb-jane-watts-miami-case-20170208-story.html

While those are isolated incidents, they're not uncommon (or else @kaiju_wars would've went with a complaint, and wouldn't have mentioned fear of losing his job over this, that's completely disgusting behaviour for a deputy to have).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

20 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

We kept going back and forth and he tried to bring the moral argument of, "what about the business owners and if they lose their business, then what?  They'll be homeless too." 

Fun fact: it doesn't matter. For all the discussion there was, back when lockdowns started, about the trade-off between "saving lives and saving the economy", now the data is in and the economy was screwed regardless of the lockdowns, at least as far as the available evidence on consumer expenditures tells us. Basically, people cut back certain expenditures simultaneously in places where lockdowns started and ended at very different dates. The recession was mostly demand-driven, not regulation-driven.

(for example: see figure 12.A in https://opportunityinsights.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/tracker_paper.pdf comparing Colorado and New Mexico)

Browse all data at: https://tracktherecovery.org

12 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Fun fact: it doesn't matter. For all the discussion there was, back when lockdowns started, about the trade-off between "saving lives and saving the economy", now the data is in and the economy was screwed regardless of the lockdowns, at least as far as the available evidence on consumer expenditures tells us. Basically, people cut back certain expenditures simultaneously in places where lockdowns started and ended at very different dates. The recession was mostly demand-driven, not regulation-driven.

(for example: see figure 12.A in https://opportunityinsights.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/tracker_paper.pdf comparing Colorado and New Mexico)

Browse all data at: https://tracktherecovery.org

Oh yeah, I brought up we're already in a recession, it's too late to be thinking like that.

Rip BC...

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Welp, here in the Czech Republic, if you wanna shop for groceries, you HAVE TO take a shopping cart.

Also, there can only be one person per 15 sq m in gorcery shops. Also also, the state of emergency got extended.

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

The curfew, which the state is calling a "limited Stay at Home Order," stops short of a full lockdown. It will be in effect from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. starting Saturday. The restrictions between those hours will be similar to the stay-at-home order that was in effect in March. That means all non-essential work, movement and gatherings will have to stop in all purple tier counties.

The curfew is set to remain in effect until Dec. 21 at 5 a.m.

https://abc7.com/governor-newsom-california-curfew-gavin-los-angeles/8101518/

Super yikes. Like how are they going to enforce this. Good thing I still have my company's letter from March in my car that says I can be out passed that time because I'm an essential worker. 

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X