COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
On 10/30/2020 at 1:47 AM, Mister Woof said:

Not sure why a lot of people think a mask is some kind of emasculating behavior.

On 10/30/2020 at 11:08 AM, kaiju_wars said:

"ITs MinD COnTroL"

Well, in their favor, if mandatory schooling led to them, what can we expect from mandatory mask wearing? :P 

Would have been better to keep the kids at home for schooling if the work allowed to work at home.

3 hours ago, Orange1 said:

Every province is increasing.

Same thing is happening in the US. I only expect it to get worse in the next coming weeks. New rioting has begun. Which means even more cases are likely. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Case rate rose above 7% here. If it doesn't decrease within a week, we will move back into the strictest purple tier and possible re-closures, like schools and in door restaurants. It's going back and forth. Very frustrating. 

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

President-elect Joe Biden is forming a COVID task force to combat and contain the spread of COVID already.

https://www.axios.com/biden-to-announce-covid-19-task-force-monday-23b353bd-863b-4e0f-bb64-c6da4a5758b2.html

Looking like he might actually take COVID seriously.

1 hour ago, Nowak said:

President-elect Joe Biden is forming a COVID task force to combat and contain the spread of COVID already.

https://www.axios.com/biden-to-announce-covid-19-task-force-monday-23b353bd-863b-4e0f-bb64-c6da4a5758b2.html

Looking like he might actually take COVID seriously.

Tbh, unless Democrats happen upon a miracle and manage to flip the Senate, Biden will have little choice but to fight the long game, no matter how serious he takes this virus. Without financial support to individuals and businesses, the swift(er) resolution via widespread lockdown is pretty much a non-starter. Will be interesting to see what course of action Biden will decide upon. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

44 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Tbh, unless Democrats happen upon a miracle and manage to flip the Senate, Biden will have little choice but to fight the long game, no matter how serious he takes this virus. Without financial support to individuals and businesses, the swift(er) resolution via widespread lockdown is pretty much a non-starter. Will be interesting to see what course of action Biden will decide upon. 

There's still the Georgia senate races, but that goes beyond the scope of this thread.

I would like to see things get under control. I'd like to see my friends again.

Cases keep rising in my state, let alone in the county I work in, fast as hell.  We keep getting 911 calls for covid related... well.. anything.  They're increasing fast.  One of the hospitals in the neighboring county recently said they couldn't take anymore Covid patients.

But my coworker still believes it's a fucking hoax.  But she's also one of those QAnon Trump supporter types.  Not bringing up the politics side, just explaining her thought process as it already is.

It's just... stressful with an already raging pandemic.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

Cases keep rising in my state, let alone in the county I work in, fast as hell.  We keep getting 911 calls for covid related... well.. anything.  They're increasing fast.  One of the hospitals in the neighboring county recently said they couldn't take anymore Covid patients.

But my coworker still believes it's a fucking hoax.  But she's also one of those QAnon Trump supporter types.  Not bringing up the politics side, just explaining her thought process as it already is.

It's just... stressful with an already raging pandemic.

Sounds like you're AD. This year is making me happy I stepped off the ambulance in '19. Can't imagine how this year has been treating you. Don't let it go to you too bad.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

Sounds like you're AD. This year is making me happy I stepped off the ambulance in '19. Can't imagine how this year has been treating you. Don't let it go to you too bad.

I'm not familiar with AD.

Honestly, the job itself I enjoy.  I like dispatch, and I like 911 calls.  It's just irritating and stresses me out that we have another dispatcher actively calling it a hoax and trying to downplay it every chance she gets.  We have lives to save, not your conspiracy theories. 

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

I'm not familiar with AD.

Honestly, the job itself I enjoy.  I like dispatch, and I like 911 calls.  It's just irritating and stresses me out that we have another dispatcher actively calling it a hoax and trying to downplay it every chance she gets.  We have lives to save, not your conspiracy theories. 

AD is just what we called yall. Active Dispatch. Just don't let them ruin your mindset. I work in mining, I deal with those people every day. That's a rough profession to be in. You more than likely went into it because you like to help people. Just keep that in your mind more than what your co worker is saying. I miss the ambulance a lot. Just not this year. I moved to buy a house and the nearest volunteer department is about an hour or so away. 

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, Voluspa said:

AD is just what we called yall. Active Dispatch. Just don't let them ruin your mindset. I work in mining, I deal with those people every day. That's a rough profession to be in. You more than likely went into it because you like to help people. Just keep that in your mind more than what your co worker is saying. I miss the ambulance a lot. Just not this year. I moved to buy a house and the nearest volunteer department is about an hour or so away. 

Ahh, thanks, I'll try not to.  As for why I got into this field, it's a little bit of yes and no.  I do like helping people, always have.  I just joined it because I needed money at the time.  Not the most glamorous story.  I figured, I like helping people anyways, so it'll at least get me on my feet and allow me to save money.  I ended up loving it.  I try to ignore her, but unfortunately she's a very loud person, as a way to put it.

On 10/29/2020 at 11:47 PM, Mister Woof said:

Tangent -

I'm a gun toting hot blooded American - 

I'm also staying home, social distancing, wearing a mask, and doing my part to stop the spread.

Not sure why a lot of people think a mask is some kind of emasculating behavior.

In the same boat myself. A few people I know have ignored the precautions completely, and wondered why I take them seriously. Apparently trying to keep myself and those around me safe isn't a sufficient reason to them. I see this as a great litmus test, I will probably ignore most of them in the future. Anyone that's willing to purposefully risk the lives of people around them during a pandemic likely has other character faults, I've just not witnessed yet.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Speaking of COVID cases rising, Massachusetts recorded nearly 1200 new cases today, a day after recording over 2000. Still a ways away from the peak daily average of ~4800, but still not good.

Governor Baker's issued a new curfew, but says that kids are still expected to attend school in-person. Kids aren't immune to COVID, so why are we still putting them at risk?

1 hour ago, Nowak said:

Governor Baker's issued a new curfew, but says that kids are still expected to attend school in-person. Kids aren't immune to COVID, so why are we still putting them at risk?

That is crazy, I'd pull my kids out right away!

7 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

In the same boat myself. A few people I know have ignored the precautions completely, and wondered why I take them seriously. Apparently trying to keep myself and those around me safe isn't a sufficient reason to them. I see this as a great litmus test, I will probably ignore most of them in the future. Anyone that's willing to purposefully risk the lives of people around them during a pandemic likely has other character faults, I've just not witnessed yet.

One of my friends is like this. She asked a few days ago when we were all going to her food. It’s like it’s not the time for that. Plus if you eat in a restaurant you have to provide personal details for contact tracking. I don’t like sharing personal info if I don’t have to. She told me she was going to lie about her info. 🤨 Yeah that’s the way to do it. Lie so they can’t inform you that you have been in contact with someone infected. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

She told me she was going to lie about her info. 🤨 Yeah that’s the way to do it. Lie so they can’t inform you that you have been in contact with someone infected. 

This is what I was talking about earlier, wtf is wrong with people?

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

1 minute ago, Parideboy said:

This is what I was talking about earlier, wtf is wrong with people?

I know here authorities have had issues reaching people when doing contact tracing, some don't answer the phone, if they don't answer, they don't have to get tested and they don't have to "worry" about being forced to quarantine if they test positive ... 

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Masks and social distancing is protecting us from COVID, but also from other endemic diseases, like influenza. But when those measures are going to stop, they're expecting large outbreaks of those endemic diseases. 

Didn't read the whole thing, but it kinda makes sense ;

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2020/11/09/large-delayed-outbreaks-endemic-diseases-possible-following-covid-19-controls

Just now, wkdpaul said:

I know here authorities have had issues reaching people when doing contact tracing, some don't answer the phone, if they don't answer, they don't have to get tested and they don't have to "worry" about being forced to quarantine if they test positive ... 

It should be in their own interest to get themselves tested. Not to mention the self-quarantine argument for the safety of other citizens.

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock H97 Pro4 CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @3.30 Ghz Intel Xeon E3-1271v3 @4.00 Ghz RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) Kingstone HyperX Fury DDR3@1600 Mhz (9-9-9-27)

GPU: MSI 390 8Gb Gaming Edition PSU: XFX TS 650w Bronze Enermax Revolution D.F. 650w 80+ Gold MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum KEYBOARD: Monokey Standard Suave Blue

STORAGE: SSD Samsung EVO 850 250Gb // HDD WD Green 1Tb // HDD WD Blue 4Tb // HDD WD Blue 160Gb CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed OS: Windows 11 Pro x64 Bit

MONITORS: Samsung CFG7 C24FG7xFQ @144hz // Samsung SyncMaster TA350 LT23A350 @60hz Samsung Odyssey G7 COOLER: Noctua NH-D15

WOW. Everyone here is in favor of wearing masks. I have to say I am too, but Im more in support of freedom of choice. Yes folks, I'd prefer to not wear a mask!

That's not to say there is anything wrong with wearing masks, keeping 6 feet apart, staying home. I understand why this ideology is upsetting, I do. People aren't tolerant weather you're for masks or against them. I don't believe the way a lot of dramatic anti maskers are reacting is in anyway acceptable. I have my personal opinion on the matter. Yes I wear a mask where I feel I need to, mandatory or not like extremely crowded places, in stores, I don't create a scene, I just try to get by. Covid itself sucks but I'm young, I'm not too afraid of a small chance of dying. As young men and woman we ought to encourage the old and sick to stay home. I have a ton to say about the situation but I'm not a very good writer and I'm working :(

hope this creates controversy >:D

1 minute ago, WindirBear said:

*snip

Yes folks, I'd prefer to not wear a mask!

*snip*

and so does everyone else, do you really think people in favor of masks are in it because they like to wear it ?

In the US, some hospitals are at 100% capacity (source), here in my province, we're in a second wave, numbers aren't going down, and as time goes on, we're getting more information on the virus, like that it's probable that we have a limited immunity to COVID, similar to other coronaviruses, like influenza.

This has tons of implications, and I get that some don't get it, but having a 4-5% death rate isn't anywhere close to it being like the flu (source ; https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection.html - As of Nov. 9th, Canada has a total of 268,735 cases, with 10,564 death, so that's a 3.93% fatality rate).

This isn't about choice BTW, this is the same argument we were hearing from smokers when smoking bans happened ; "I have the right to ...", the issue is that people saying that are viewing the issue from the wrong end ; you can smoke, or not wear a mask, the issue is the people around you, they don't have the choice to stop breathing because you decided you had the right to smoke / not wear a mask. Both present health risk for the people AROUND you, for others.

So yeah, I also hate wearing a mask, and I wish we could be back to normal, but it's not currently the case, and thanks for doing you part and wearing a mask when necessary!

17 minutes ago, WindirBear said:

Covid itself sucks but I'm young, I'm not too afraid of a small chance of dying.

Wearing a mask is not about protecting yourself, it's about protecting the others around you.

If the transmission was 1:1, you might have an argument. I don't care about the virus, if I get it I'll fight it.

The problem is, you're probably more likely to infect 2 or more people in the process.

Now I don't know about you, but I don't want to be the one infecting other people.

I wear a mask not to protect myself from the virus, but to prevent myself from spreading it in case I have it but I'm not showing any symptoms.

In my case I can breathe just fine (I'm not overweight, but not fit either), sometimes my glasses get fogged and it sucks, but I get that it is for the community.

If there were no repercussions I wouldn't wear a mask. Who would? The real question is, is not wearing a mask worth the risk?

Heck, in Asian countries it's actually in their culture to wear a mask when they're sick. Way before covid was a thing.

https://www.voanews.com/science-health/coronavirus-outbreak/not-just-coronavirus-asians-have-worn-face-masks-decades