COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
3 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

Throughout those weeks we were consistently denied visitation, even though at one point the family member was in a "normal" inpatient ward. Normal as in, not ER, ICU, or another special care ward.

Which makes perfect sense. The ICU is full of infected patients already, but the one thing you do NOT want is any potential contamination source getting into the still "clean" side with so far unaffected but weakened patients.

We were very lucky to have a well respected nurse that actually cared be the person responsible for the patients care at the most critical time. Without this point, none of the others would have mattered, and my family truly owes this person a debt that can never be repayed.

That's the only one point that matters, although some of the others might have pushed her to this decision.  

The family exhibited no symptoms of any infectious disease, and had not for atleast so long that none of us could remember the month of our last symptom.

The whole reason we're here today is that you can have COVID and be highly contagious for a long period with no symptoms. 

Be aware that with your trip to the ICU all your family could have caught the virus, so please be responsible and isolate yourselves as if you were sure you had for the next few weeks...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Short notice for my county though. Let the scrambling for masks/bandannas commence. Deadline April 4th.

The order will make it mandatory for businesses that interact with the public to use cloth face coverings for their employees starting Saturday; that includes grocery stores, pharmacy's and gas stations, according to Supervisor Nathan Fletcher.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/mask-wearing-policies-added-to-san-diego-countys-public-health-order/2298442/

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

2 hours ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

Short notice for my county though. Let the scrambling for masks/bandannas commence. Deadline April 4th.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/mask-wearing-policies-added-to-san-diego-countys-public-health-order/2298442/

Remembering stuff about early talk regarding the virus before it hit the US.  2 layers of unmercantarized cotton (fluffy not smooth like bandannas) and only the tiniest bit of water, which is provided by breath, gives some decent protection.  Artificial fibers are much less effective.  I’ve got some clean tube socks with holes in them I’m planning to cut up and use.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

41 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

so TIL this apparently almost happened here

https://www.ft.com/content/cee34681-5f47-416b-9cbc-d824e9eec68e

thank you, 3M

In fact it gets even worse than that...

The interesting part starts at 2:13 (that's where the video is linked to)

So listen careful to what is said...

Pence and Polowczyk officially announced that 250k masks would be sent to NY for the public health hospitals (as per Pence saying) or to warehouses in NY (as per Polowczyk saying).

And then... Badoom! No! These masks are not for the Medical staff... They are going to be distributed by the Federal Government to PRIVATE COMPANIES which are going to sell them to the highest bidder (and if that means abroad, then they are going to be sent abroad!) !!!

Isn't that just wonderful? Some people yesterday where giving me lessons... There! They can look in their own courtyard!

Oh... And what they did to France, they also did it to Canada...

Edited by Guest
edited typos

1 hour ago, Cora_Lie said:

In fact it gets even worse than that...

The interesting part starts at 2:13 (that's where the video is linked to)

So listen careful to what is said...

Pence and Polowczyk officially announced that 250k masks would be sent to NY for the public health hospitals (as per Pence saying) or to warehouses in NY (as per Polowczyk saying).

And then... Badoom! No! These masks are not for the Medical staff... They are going to be distributed by the Federal Government to PRIVATE COMPANIES which are going to sell them to the highest bidder (and if that means abroad, then they are going to be sent abroad!) !!!

Isn't that just wonderful? Some people yesterday where giving me lessons... There! They can look in their own courtyard!

Oh... And what they did to France, they also did it to Canada...

I dont think anyone was saying the US wasnt doing some shady shit as well. 

US national cotton mask advisory just went out.  
found a tutorial from an older ny times article on how to make them.  Not sure if the link will work.

... and it doesn’t.  Argh.

I’ll try to hit the highlights as best I can:

Two layers of soft cotton.  Wool and synthetics fail. Tea towels over t-shirts.  Strings need to be 18” long.  For strings use 3/4” of fabric, fold the edges over, fold it in half. And see through the middle.  Keeps the cloth from unraveling.  Ties need to be sewn securely between the two layers of fabric.  Helps make them stay.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid19-decisive-move-workplaces-closed-lee-hsien-loong-12606614

Singapore on soft lockdown starting this coming tuesday:

• WFH must be considered to its fullest extent; major economic/infrastructure work and supply-chain industries may still operate, but other physical offices must close.
  • food takeouts and grocers may still operate within means
  • Schools to close for e-learning starting on this coming wednesday
  • "wear masks only when feeling unwell" advice will be discontinued; now wear masks when outside, to err on side of safety

no slated expiry date, but possibly will be in force for about a month

Considering the shift to face masks, it looks like both production is up globally and they're anticipating a mutation cycle is underway to be more airborne contagious. Or data came in that the non-symptomatic period is actually longer than the initial reports. It would be nice to have the technical information they're giving orders off, just to see where the current information stack is sitting. Along with the current treatment paradigms, as the "combat knowledge" accrues fairly quickly.

Sad to see Singapore going on lockdown. Thought they'd manage to avoid the issues by heavy testing & tracking, but it looks like that failed. Would appear completely travel isolation was the only ever defense.

Expect most lockdowns to be between 5-6 weeks, unless the asymptomatic period is longer than initial reports. I'd expect large gathering to banned for upwards of 3 months. Toronto's "see you in July" order is probably going to be fairly common. We're not quite to the point where the decisions will be made to go full Darwinian, but they can't keep lockdowns in place for all that long and the consequences of so many people out of work is immense. 

A few things to watch out for, as this plays out, is that, given the nasty hit to organs that can come with COVID-19, a lot of the deaths among the under-40 set are going to be un-diagnosed other issues. We're in for a number of media panic cycles because of this, unfortunately. Still no word on the lethality difference out of Italy and spreading to Spain. Hopefully it's not something so stupid as a local food causes more rapid onset because of some accelerant property. 

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

8 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Be aware that with your trip to the ICU all your family could have caught the virus, so please be responsible and isolate yourselves as if you were sure you had for the next few weeks...

We are obviously aware of the risks. Please don't respond this way to people who tell you a story like mine in the future.

When someone says "hey, here's a way to do something", and they had been working with medical professionals throughout the entire process, you can assume that processes were in place to mitigate risk as much as possible and you should be more considerate than nicely replying "you shouldn't have done that" or "you should be more considerate".

I just told you we had been isolating ourselves as if we were under a strong stay-at-home order for more than 4 weeks, which started before POTUS even asked people to do social distancing, and well before even the first stay-at-home orders in the country. What makes you think that we aren't being responsible here?

Yes, certain things are risky. But certain things are worth the risk. Getting my father to be able to visit my mother during her final moments on Earth after a 57 year marriage is one of those things.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

36 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Considering the shift to face masks, it looks like both production is up globally and they're anticipating a mutation cycle is underway to be more airborne contagious. Or data came in that the non-symptomatic period is actually longer than the initial reports. It would be nice to have the technical information they're giving orders off, just to see where the current information stack is sitting. Along with the current treatment paradigms, as the "combat knowledge" accrues fairly quickly.

Sad to see Singapore going on lockdown. Thought they'd manage to avoid the issues by heavy testing & tracking, but it looks like that failed. Would appear completely travel isolation was the only ever defense.

Expect most lockdowns to be between 5-6 weeks, unless the asymptomatic period is longer than initial reports. I'd expect large gathering to banned for upwards of 3 months. Toronto's "see you in July" order is probably going to be fairly common. We're not quite to the point where the decisions will be made to go full Darwinian, but they can't keep lockdowns in place for all that long and the consequences of so many people out of work is immense. 

A few things to watch out for, as this plays out, is that, given the nasty hit to organs that can come with COVID-19, a lot of the deaths among the under-40 set are going to be un-diagnosed other issues. We're in for a number of media panic cycles because of this, unfortunately. Still no word on the lethality difference out of Italy and spreading to Spain. Hopefully it's not something so stupid as a local food causes more rapid onset because of some accelerant property. 

Neither afaik.  It was Typhoid Mary syndrome.  There are apparently people who get the thing that remain asymtomatic.  Not feeling sick for two weeks doesn’t mean you don’t have it.

11 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

the worst part is not knowing when the hell do i start counting the two weeks, and would i start getting worse after that or not ._.

The two week thing is apparently vague.  It reportedly can hit in as little as a couple days.  The older you are or more compromised you are apparently the longer it takes.  There’s also some sort of correlation with how sick you get.  The problem is apparently some people can never get sick at all but will still shed virus.  How long they can do this for is apparently unknown, at least by me, atm

I mentioned this local councilman earlier in the other thread. He talked to the news on the phone and a few days after that had to be hospitalized. He had to spend 11 days on a ventilator. 

A Chula Vista city councilman who was sent to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) for treatment of COVID-19 says he is showing progress in his weeks-long battle with the disease caused by the new coronavirus.

"Friends – I’m off the ventilator, out of the ICU, and will be home soon," Council Member Steve Padilla said in a series of tweets Friday.

When Padilla first tested positive on March 15, Padilla said in a video message to constituents that he was "doing very well and feeling very well." But within days, his symptoms worsened, according to his daughter, and he was admitted to UCSD Health and placed in the ICU.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/threat-of-covid-19-is-real-chula-vista-councilman-warns-after-lengthy-battle/2298994/

1 hour ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

I mentioned this local councilman earlier in the other thread. He talked to the news on the phone and a few days after that had to be hospitalized. He had to spend 11 days on a ventilator. 

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/threat-of-covid-19-is-real-chula-vista-councilman-warns-after-lengthy-battle/2298994/

So he got it, it got bad, ha had to be put on a ventilator, got off it, and it got bad again?

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So he got it, it got bad, ha had to be put on a ventilator, got off it

This. Date mentions March 15th.

He was doing fine for a couple days then got much worse. Has has recovered and will be discharged soon. Probably a case of ARDS.

9 hours ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

I’m not a cosplayer but I don’t think ComicCon organizers would like to see a SARS-Cov-2 cosplay. I think even Furries in a Furry convention would approve of such. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

35 minutes ago, CalintzJerevinan said:

Tyndall AFB got one person that tested positive as well.  Along with a few other bases too.

More or less now, most bases are only allowing essentials personnel onto the bases.  

Then there is that mess with the USS Theodore Roosevelt.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/02/27/coronavirus-coca-cola-warns-impact-diet-coke-supply-chain/4890071002/

Corrections and Clarifications: A previous version of this story wasn't clear about where the Splenda brand of sucralose is manufactured. 

Coca-Cola said on Monday that its supply chain could be disrupted in the long term as coronavirus continues to spread. The beverage manufacturer also said it depends on suppliers in China for certain sweeteners added to its diet and zero sugar drinks.

The conglomerate relies on companies in the U.S. and China for a "critical raw material" called sucralose. Sucralose is used in Diet Coke with Splenda, Minute MaidSparkling, Powerade Zero, Dasani Flavors and other drink offerings, according to Coca-Cola's website

Since coronavirus is sickening thousands, shuttering factories and slowing down production in China, Coca-Cola is poised to get the sugar substitute elsewhere. 

"As a result of the outbreak of the novel coronavirus COVID-19 ... our suppliers in China have experienced some delays in the production and export of these ingredients," Coca-Cola wrote in an annual financial filing. "We have initiated contingency supply plans and do not foresee a short-term impact due to these delays."

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

So... regarding that there are new recommendations now in the US regarding masks, AND there is a shortage of masks, thought I'd put some tutorials here to help regarding the DIY masks.

They are really easy to make! All videos have links for downloadable patterns.

Face masks with filter pocket/slot

Spoiler

Spoiler

The Olson mask

Spoiler

Here you can find filters replacements : https://www.amazon.com/CHRISLZ-Activated-Carbon-Protective-Replacement/dp/B076Q27336/

Face masks WITHOUT filter pocket/slot

Here she explain HOW to do make the mask

Spoiler

Here she explains WHICH and WHY some fabrics are prefered for masks

Spoiler

This one is interesting as she explains WHY cotton fabric should not be use on the inside layers.
BUT she recommends to use something called OLY Fun. And this one is not to be used at ALL because it is not breathable enough.

A guide for the materials to use for the masks:
https://www.makemasks2020.org/mask-making-guide

Edited by Guest
edited to fix the videos

27 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

all the spoiler boxes are empty o_o

????  Strange...O_o  I'll fix that right away!

Edited by Guest
fixed the videos. I don't understand why they disappered... :-S

- Thread Cleaned -

No tinfoil hat conspiracy theories or political flamebait.

No arguing over conspiracy theories. Please don't share conspiracy theory videos from political commentary youtube channels.

Edited by Spotty
Edited to better reflect why thread was cleaned

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Stockholmes said:

Still, kind of interesting in my opinion that some people knew something like this would happen.

Of course they knew something would happen, because we know these virus exist and are dangerous. There were research since SARS, and the scientific community has been warning about something like this for years.

Are you not aware about what scientist are doing???

They have been raising flags since the mid 2000 about this. But sadly, we have a worldwide political environment that kinda prevents long term returns on projects (in the sense where we will see returns in 10-20 years) or project that PREVENTS something (after all, if "it" doesn't happen, how can we be sure there "it" was something that bad ?).

It's not interesting that they knew something like this could happen, but rather, it's interesting that nobody seems to be interested in those warnings until something DOES happen. These people aren't raising flags and warning us about dangers for the fun of it, but it seems the expression "better safe than sorry" is somewhat selective, sadly.

Edit ;

Here's a paper from 2007 about it ;

ub0lb0hl49o41.jpg

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I have depression and I struggle with loneliness because I'm an aspie and I'm generally a pretty lonely guy, but this has me feeling even more isolated.

I've been getting into model and fashion photography because I have a lot of model friends who love my portrait work, and I had to cancel ALL of their photo shoots. They were going to be free anyway because I was planning on using their images in my advertising so it was mutually beneficial, so I didn't lose any money, and my models are very nice and we're going to shoot this summer when this is all over.

But I've been feeling more depressed and lonely right now. I am also getting a degree in psychology and I worry about people's depression during all of this. 

Anyone else feeling lonely and depressed?

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

13 minutes ago, Thready said:

I'm not depressed just yet but at the moment I am feeling lonely and bored just like Rapunzel

Edited by captain_to_fire

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

13 minutes ago, Thready said:

I have depression and I struggle with loneliness because I'm an aspie and I'm generally a pretty lonely guy, but this has me feeling even more isolated.

I've been getting into model and fashion photography because I have a lot of model friends who love my portrait work, and I had to cancel ALL of their photo shoots. They were going to be free anyway because I was planning on using their images in my advertising so it was mutually beneficial, so I didn't lose any money, and my models are very nice and we're going to shoot this summer when this is all over.

But I've been feeling more depressed and lonely right now. I am also getting a degree in psychology and I worry about people's depression during all of this. 

You're definitely not the only one.  I'm fortunate to have my girlfriend, but it's hard not to feel isolated when you can't even pass close to someone on the street, and stepping outside feels like a perilous quest.  There's a basic human connection we'll have lost for a while.

I'm not an expert, but I suspect it could help to reframe this as a chance to enrich yourself and prepare for the future.  Think about the opportunities you have to educate yourself, to read or see all those things  you said you would but could never get around to doing.  Think about getting ready for those shoots and how you might explore a new technique or location.  And when you think about it, those feelings are a reminder of how much you'll appreciate reconnecting with others.

Just remember that we've got your back, whatever you do -- we want to see you succeed.