COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson is now in Hospital with COVID...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52180223

I realise that I'm not exactly his biggest fan, I often don't agree with things he says and I don't agree with the politics his party stands for BUT he is a human with family and friends and I genuinely wish him all the best and hope that he makes a full recovery.

The UKs Health Minister is 100% correct, at this point he should be relieved of duty until such point as he's deemed medically fit to resume. The guy has been running the country while isolating in a flat, he's had no time to recover and his life has to come first.

Despite my feelings towards him I think he's done a very good job of managing this crisis and now he needs to be given the chance to rest and recover.

If he has to be put on a ventilator he’s got to be put in a medically induced coma so that’s probably automatic.  If he’s trying to maintain power through being put on a ventilator that’s insane.  As a primary national leader though he may not be in terrible shape despite being hospitalized.  As to “very good”, he has done better than some but worse than others.  There have been some abject ball fumbles amongst some world leaders.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If he has to be put on a ventilator he’s got to be put in a medically induced coma so that’s probably automatic.  As a primary national leader though he may not be in terrible shape despite being hospitalized.  

They've said its only precautionary since he's been ill for 10 days and hasn't recovered. Apparently he is otherwise fine but still suffering from a fever.

Honestly he probably just needs to rest (I genuinely hope that's the case anyway)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 hours ago, Deli said:

Problem: Coronavirus comes from China!

Solution: Let's kill all the Chinese!

Joking aside, the anti-China rhetoric is going nut in many social media platforms. It'll likely get worse in the coming months. I hope no nasty things target Chinese/Asian communities overseas by some idiots.

I was going to say exactly the same thing but didn't want to start another cultural shit fight.  The ignorance is getting beyond my ability to keep quite.   The problem with much of today's people is they think memes are a legitimate source of information. 

EDIT: forgot too mention that Asians in Australia are already being attacked because of it.

https://10daily.com.au/news/a200330gzfhi/asian-women-abused-spat-on-in-marrickville-sydney-20200331

Absolutely disgraceful and unnecessary act.  I hope they throw the full wait of every law we have at them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

probably using the situation like how a few did to the 5G poles: another outlet to justify their inner gremlin ._.

I think your right fin that it's hard for me to believe that people would suddenly become so vile without a predisposition to behaving like that,  however the amount of social media BS and propaganda against he Chinese cannot be excused for its part in inciting this though.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Also It looks like the daily cases is dropping in Australia.  if this trend continues it means we successfully flattened the curve.  And it only cost us 30 years of GDP 🤪*. 

*I don't know what it actually cost, suffice to say it will be a very long time before we are back to where we were.

I did post about 2 months ago now in the other thread about this "ALL Asian looking people are Chinese. Chinese are responsible for Coronavirus. Let's chase ALL Chinese out of OUR country".

And no, it was obviously not important in any way that these "Chinese People" were 3rd, 4rd or 5th generation Americans (or any other citizenship).

Or that they were not of Chinese descent in any way.

Look is good enough.

The epithomy of stupidity in human form.

Fear and ignorance are the worst enemies of reason. But hey... We are "civilized", ain't we? 🤔

Picard_double_facepalm.gif.391fb0fa215b6d7a78a38ca0f4a9406b.gif

I've just heard on the radio that Singapore Airport will close its "Changi" Terminal 2 for at least 18 months because of the drop of international travel and as they doubt that there will be a return of high travel traffic after the Covid-19 outbreak...

Closing Terminal 4 is also in consideration.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/coronavirus-singapore-changi-airport-close-terminal-a9449561.html

This is... WOW! O_o

Edited by Guest
edited to add info on 2nd Terminal possible closing

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

I think your right fin that it's hard for me to believe that people would suddenly become so vile without a predisposition to behaving like that,  however the amount of social media BS and propaganda against he Chinese cannot be excused for its part in inciting this though.   

Its not really the medias fault though.

Saying China is at fault has nothing to do with asian people. What Chinas government does has nothing to do with someone who is asian. Some people are just straight up idiots. Hell theres still people out there that wont drink Corona beers because they think they have something to do with it.

I have no problem saying Chinas government should be held responsible for a lot of this. In no way can any rational human being use that as an excuse to assault an asian person though.

Some people are just idiots. But theres nobody to blame but them for their stupidity.

They are going to have to figure out something fast or people are not going to keep doing this.

Just being told to stay home isnt sustainable. Even the stimulus bill tbat was passed is only going to buy a small amount of time.

Eventually areas are going to have to open up. Virus or no virus. 

I know my the politicians in my area are already in talks of what they are going to have to do. 

Theres no a chance that we stay shut down for much longer. People are not going to accept that.

17 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

[...]

This is... WOW! O_o

I think there will be many effects on the aviation industry as a whole. From what I gathered from following aviation-related youtube channels, there are many people currently on unpaid leave or fired, a large number of aircraft sitting on the ground (sometimes on closed taxiways because there are fewer proper parking spaces than planes) and some plane types like the A380 and MD11 could disappear sooner than planned. Airlines have a hard time keeping both their pilots and their planes current (e.g. fit for commercial flights) so that they can quickly start operating like before the crisis once the bans are lifted.

5 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Theres no a chance that we stay shut down for much longer. People are not going to accept that.

Well, I'm the other side of the Atlantic and travelling is blocked so I don't have a problem if Americans would rather mass die of COVID than stay at home for a few weeks becasue FREEDOM!!!

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Well, I'm the other side of the Atlantic and travelling is blocked so I don't have a problem if Americans would rather mass die of COVID than stay at home for a few weeks becasue FREEDOM!!!

Its not about "freedom" its about an economical collapse resulting in no jobs, no money, no homes, no food, etc. What about all the lives that will be lost due to all of that?

Nobody wants people to die. But its asinine to not take into consideration the impact of a 6 month lockdown.

And im not talking "just a few weeks". Its already been "just a few weeks" with no end in sight. Im not talking about opening up next week. But its going to have to happen sooner rather then later.

You are lying to yourself if you think it wont be an issue in your area as well. Id be willing to bet money that the vast vast majority of politicians in every area are not currently talking about the same thing. Everyone knows that this is not sustainable for long.

11 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

TTheres no a chance that we stay shut down for much longer. People are not going to accept that.

Well let's hope the situation will develop in such a way that lifting the restrictions or at least easing them can be possible.

Austria starts easing some restrictions starting on April 14th: small shops as well as hardware stores are allowed the open. Malls, larger shops and hairdressers/barber shops will be allowed to open on May 1st (technically May 2nd, since May 1st is a holiday here). Other things like hotels and restaurants can reopen in the middle of May, large events will be forbidden until July. The hygiene and distance rules will still be applicable for a while, but it looks like "normal" life can slowly be restarted.
Our lockdown started on March 16th, which means we will have had a month of lockdown before some of the restrictions are lifted. Personally, I find it reassuring that an end of the measures is in sight.

1 minute ago, greenhorn said:

Well let's hope the situation will develop in such a way that lifting the restrictions or at least easing them can be possible.

Austria starts easing some restrictions starting on April 14th: small shops as well as hardware stores are allowed the open. Malls, larger shops and hairdressers/barber shops will be allowed to open on May 1st (technically May 2nd, since May 1st is a holiday here). Other things like hotels and restaurants can reopen in the middle of May, large events will be forbidden until July. The hygiene and distance rules will still be applicable for a while, but it looks like "normal" life can slowly be restarted.
Our lockdown started on March 16th, which means we will have had a month of lockdown before some of the restrictions are lifted. Personally, I find it reassuring that an end of the measures is in sight.

Yea if those dates are true for places opening back up then thats ones thing.

Im more talking if they try to delay it further. 

In a lot of areas its all tentative right now.

Which i understand why it is that way. With what little info we have we cant really know whats going to happen. Im just saying something has to happen as what we are doing now isnt sustainable.

People are not going to just lose their business, home, cars, and potentially lives so easily. 

I cant speak for other nations as i know nothing about them. But here atleast they are going to have to open back up sooner rather then later. Virus or no virus. Theres just no way around that.

25 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Letting society collapse and our economy sink isn’t any better, because the end result will be the same: Lots of people won’t survive, it’ll just be from losing the roof over their head instead of a virus.

Also, it’s already been a few weeks for lots of us. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

12 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

They are going to have to figure out something fast or people are not going to keep doing this.

Just being told to stay home isnt sustainable. Even the stimulus bill tbat was passed is only going to buy a small amount of time.

Eventually areas are going to have to open up. Virus or no virus. 

I know my the politicians in my area are already in talks of what they are going to have to do. 

They will have to open up at some point, but that point should be pushed back as far as possible.  Many people don't seem to understand that opening things too soon will be much, much worse than being overly cautious.  A trip to the mall isn't worth seeing your neighbours carried out in bodybags.

I figure you won't see loosened restrictions until May at the earliest, and I won't be surprised if there's a longer wait than that.

11 minutes ago, Commodus said:

They will have to open up at some point, but that point should be pushed back as far as possible.  Many people don't seem to understand that opening things too soon will be much, much worse than being overly cautious.  A trip to the mall isn't worth seeing your neighbours carried out in bodybags.

I figure you won't see loosened restrictions until May at the earliest, and I won't be surprised if there's a longer wait than that.

I agree it should be pushed back as far as possible.

The problem is that "as far as possible" isnt much longer.

Its undeniable that what we are doing now is unsustainable. If its may then that should work. If we are talking july or august then that wouldnt work. 

And theres no chance the 12-18 month wait for a vaccine is sustainable at all.

7 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

I agree it should be pushed back as far as possible.

The problem is that "as far as possible" isnt much longer.

Its undeniable that what we are doing now is unsustainable. If its may then that should work. If we are talking july or august then that wouldnt work. 

And theres no chance the 12-18 month wait for a vaccine is sustainable at all.

The vaccine thing will take too long.  The current hope now is for other short effect drugs or discoveries about the virus.  It’s a die roll though. I’ve heard August mentioned. The word  “July” doesn’t seem to be in the news much that I have seen.  A way to lower the fatality rate and reduce danger to hospital staff could change the game a bit.  One big worry is planting season is coming.  There has to be workers to plant or there will be food shortages come fall.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The vaccine thing will take too long.  The current hope now is for other short effect drugs or discoveries about the virus.  It’s a die roll though. I’ve heard August mentioned. The word  “July” doesn’t seem to be in the news much that I have seen.  A way to lower the fatality rate and reduce danger to hospital staff could change the game a bit.

I dont think areas are going to stay shut down till august. Not without huge economic consequences which i dont think local leaders are willing to accept.

It sounds cold but its kinda the truth. At some point we are just going to have to accept that alot of people are going to die. We are gonna have to try and weigh out the number of deaths vs the effect on the economy.

Like if we open up on june and we lose an extra 100k lives is that as bad as staying closed till august and losing millions of jobs and businesses and the associated issues with that (like deaths due to another depression). 

Obv im no expert and dont have the numbers to make an opinion on whats best. But weve already seen some experts start talking about it.

Its going to be a balancing act. And then end result either way is not going to be pretty.

12 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

I dont think areas are going to stay shut down till august. Not without huge economic consequences which i dont think local leaders are willing to accept.

It sounds cold but its kinda the truth. At some point we are just going to have to accept that alot of people are going to die. We are gonna have to try and weigh out the number of deaths vs the effect on the economy.

Like if we open up on june and we lose an extra 100k lives is that as bad as staying closed till august and losing millions of jobs and businesses and the associated issues with that (like deaths due to another depression). 

Obv im no expert and dont have the numbers to make an opinion on whats best. But weve already seen some experts start talking about it.

Its going to be a balancing act. And then end result either way is not going to be pretty.

As one of those slated to possibly die this does not give me a lot of hope.  

the thing about the “curve” is it looks more like a curve push than a curve flattening atm.
As it stands as far as I can tell if I get sick I’ve got around a 50% chance of being put in the hospital with around a 50% chance of needing a ventilator, and if there is one for me available there is fair chance I will die anyway.  Total Chance of survival not a lot different that a pretty hot Ww2 battle. A lot of my family and friends are worse off. I really don’t want to get sick.  An advance that could change those numbers would be real helpful.

26 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

As one of those slated to possibly die this does not give me a lot of hope.  

the thing about the “curve” is it looks more like a curve push than a curve flattening atm.
As it stands as far as I can tell if I get sick I’ve got around a 50% chance of being put in the hospital with around a 50% chance of needing a ventilator, and if there is one for me available there is fair chance I will die anyway.  Total Chance of survival not a lot different that a pretty hot Ww2 battle. A lot of my family and friends are worse off. I really don’t want to get sick.  An advance that could change those numbers would be real helpful.

Yea for a large group of people this is going to be something they will have to worry about even after things open back up.

My father in law is a high risk person and we are going to keep him staying home for weeks even after this starts to ease up just to play it safe.

2 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Yea for a large group of people this is going to be something they will have to worry about even after things open back up.

My father in law is a high risk person and we are going to keep him staying home for weeks even after this starts to ease up just to play it safe.

Disease prevention is extremely detail oriented. It will have to involve everyone not just keeping someone at home.  Extreme sanitation.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Disease prevention is extremely detail oriented. It will have to involve everyone not just keeping someone at home.  Extreme sanitation.

But everyone cant stay home for an extended period of time. Its impossible. Theres nothing we can do to make the risk 0%.

So you have to do what you can. Its not going to be fool proof by any means. But it is what it is.

The Bronx Zoo is reporting that one of its big cats has tested positive for COVID-19. ABC News’ Will Ganss reports on what it means for other animals, including your pets. https://abcn.ws/2JLe3Xs A tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for the new coronavirus, in what is believed to be the first known infection in an animal in the U.S. or a tiger anywhere, federal officials and the zoo said Sunday. The 4-year-old Malayan tiger named Nadia — and six other tigers and lions that have also fallen ill — are believed to have been infected by a zoo employee who wasn't yet showing symptoms, the zoo said. The first animal started showing symptoms March 27, and all are doing well and expected to recover, said the zoo, which has been closed to the public since March 16 amid the surging coronavirus outbreak in New York.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel