COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
3 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Yes, then unfortunately those who can't afford and do it anyways kinda deserve it now don't they? They knew the risks leaving and should have known better. That said each case is different right so while I would chose money, if I knew I couldn't afford it I simply wouldn't do it, there is always another solution.

😎

I'm not endorsing the behavior and I am certainly not going to make claims about who deserve what (II do hold opinions but they are not helpful in this forum), I'm just saying there is a reason it is happening and while we don;t have a better solution to an immediate problem I am not about to through stones. Also I am a chronic tight arse, $1600 is lot for me but wounds heal. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

During his daily news conference, California Gov. Gavin Newsom said he accepted responsibility for the lack of statewide testing so far and announced new initiatives to increase the number of those tested by making more COVID-19 tests available.

spacer.png

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

He did not.  He says he has a responsibility as a governor.  He’s saying the job requires better action.  There’s a difference.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

During his daily news conference, California Gov. Gavin Newsom said he accepted responsibility for the lack of statewide testing so far and announced new initiatives to increase the number of those tested by making more COVID-19 tests available.

I can't see how he can accept responsability about something he has no control on.

The availability of tests kits is under government's control, not the governor's. Or am I wrong?

Just now, Cora_Lie said:

I can't see how he can accept responsability about something he has no control on.

The availability of tests kits is under government's control, not the governor's. Or am I wrong?

I assume you mean federal government rather than state government?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

I assume you mean federal government rather than state government?

yep...

Humans...

Problem: Coronavirus comes from bats!

Solution: Let's kill all the bats!

Not kidding...

In several places in Asia and South America, humans started killing all the bats to "prevent" another outbreak of Coronavirus, which may happen one day eventually...

Article in German. Google translate is your friend:

https://nzzas.nzz.ch/wissen/fledermaeuse-und-flughunde-werden-wegen-corona-gejagt-ld.1550188?reduced=true

19 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Humans...

[...]

It is sad, but I will really get worried if people start calling for the elimination of a bat species commonly found in the US called "baseball bats" /s

More on topic, I saw a virologist on TV who took several samples from surfaces in houses of infected people in Germany and found virus residue, but in most cases this residue was not active anymore, so it could not infect anybody anymore. His sample size was small and he wants to conduct a much larger, more meaningful study soon. Source (in German):

27 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Humans...

Not kidding...

In several places in Asia and South America, humans started killing all the bats to "prevent" another outbreak of Coronavirus, which may happen one day eventually...

https://nzzas.nzz.ch/wissen/fledermaeuse-und-flughunde-werden-wegen-corona-gejagt-ld.1550188?reduced=true

I was talking to a buddy of mine at lunch yesterday and this came up and i started thinking.

Is there any real reason we need bats to exist? If they were wiped out would there be any consequences?

I know very little about bats. I think its weird they blame bats but not the idiots eating them and chinas wet market in general.

31 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

I was talking to a buddy of mine at lunch yesterday and this came up and i started thinking.

Is there any real reason we need bats to exist? If they were wiped out would there be any consequences?

I know very little about bats. I think its weird they blame bats but not the idiots eating them and chinas wet market in general.

From what I understand of bats, they’ve adapted a peculiar immune system to cope with the metabolic demands of flight. Flying requires a lot of energy, which exacts a toll on the cells and damages the DNA in short order. A bat’s immune system continually repairs the damaged cells. In most other mammals, widespread inflammation would result, however, this doesn’t occur with bats. 

in most cases of viral infections, symptoms (and sometimes damage) occur due to immune response. Due to lack of an inflammatory response, bats don’t experience much of the symptoms that afflicts other mammals, leaving behavior unaltered. Though infections are resolved in time, providing immunity in the same way that other mammals attain immunity from the same virus. 

Further, bats tend to form tight clusters when resting, which facilitates rapid spread of virus among bat populations. 

However, many species of bats prey upon them insects, some of which would be difficult to control in absence of a predator. Thus the mass genocide of bats is likely to lead to unintended ecological damage. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

Well that’s scary as heck.  I haven’t heard of a mass milk dumping as anything other than a publicity stunt for many years.  It happened in 1929 though.  I’d really like to see a timeline on how often this sort of thing happens.   I don’t have a lot of data.  “What I’ve heard” is not a particularly good referent.

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

From what I understand of bats, they’ve adapted a peculiar immune system to cope with the metabolic demands of flight. Flying requires a lot of energy, which exacts a toll on the cells and damages the DNA in short order. A bat’s immune system continually repairs the damaged cells. In most other mammals, widespread inflammation would result, however, this doesn’t occur with bats. 

in most cases of viral infections, symptoms (and sometimes damage) occur due to immune response. Due to lack of an inflammatory response, bats don’t experience much of the symptoms that afflicts other mammals, leaving behavior unaltered. Though infections are resolved in time, providing immunity in the same way that other mammals attain immunity from the same virus. 

Further, bats tend to form tight clusters when resting, which facilitates rapid spread of virus among bat populations. 

However, many species of bats prey upon them insects, some of which would be difficult to control in absence of a predator. Thus the mass genocide of bats is likely to lead to unintended ecological damage. 

Watched a scishow episode on this recently.  I like scishow.

A Walking Dead actor. Ironic.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

9 hours ago, Cora_Lie said:

Humans...

Not kidding...

Or just stop eating them.  No point in killing them at this point anyway...it's jumped to multiple species.

What you should be really annoyed with is if it gets widespread to the animals everyone else uses for food, like the average cow, pig, goat, and/or chicken, etc.

The only people that win in that scenario are the vegans.  No one wants that.

9 hours ago, Cora_Lie said:

Humans...

Not kidding...

Humans = dumb lynch mob.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, Cora_Lie said:

Humans...

Not kidding...

Problem: Coronavirus comes from China!

Solution: Let's kill all the Chinese!

Joking aside, the anti-China rhetoric is going nut in many social media platforms. It'll likely get worse in the coming months. I hope no nasty things target Chinese/Asian communities overseas by some idiots.

1 hour ago, Deli said:

I hope no nasty things target Chinese/Asian communities overseas by some idiots.

Racist people in many countries have done just that already which is sad. Identity politics anyone?

Edited by captain_to_fire

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

12 hours ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

A Walking Dead actor. Ironic.

Typical business day in Murica. 

Also calling him a Walking Dead actor is a stretch, I have no idea who he played and In know the lore. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

31 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Typical business day in Murica. 

Also calling him a Walking Dead actor is a stretch, I have no idea who he played and In know the lore. 

I...can't really say I'm surprised...insurance and medical costs have been batty since before I can remember.  I've had garbage high-deductible insurance and other plans that were extremely generous...but if you encounter ONE thing that they don't want to cover, you can be billed an amazing amount for it.  I had a prescription for a muscle relaxant once that my insurance refused to cover...the pharmacist told me my insurance wouldn't cover it, then said the bill for the 30-day supply would be $600.  After uttering a very loud expletive aimed at the insurance company (at which the pharmacy tech covered her mouth to avoid laughing (her eyes gave it away)), I stated I guess I should stretch more, and to cancel the prescription request.

On the better side, I had 3 surgeries over the past two years that would have cost about $30k+ (two in-office, one OR), but only paid $1700 out of pocket.  That's with an insurance plan where I pay about $170 a paycheck (twice a month) and my employer pays about $600 a paycheck.

ER's always have higher fees though...a flat higher fee copay for the ER if you're admitted, then everything else depends on your plan details.

Can't really say much more without getting into politics (against the rules of the thread)...but I wouldn't trust people higher up in our country to run a national health care system.  Nope.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson is now in Hospital with COVID...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52180223

I realise that I'm not exactly his biggest fan, I often don't agree with things he says and I don't agree with the politics his party stands for BUT he is a human with family and friends and I genuinely wish him all the best and hope that he makes a full recovery.

The UKs Health Minister is 100% correct, at this point he should be relieved of duty until such point as he's deemed medically fit to resume. The guy has been running the country while isolating in a flat, he's had no time to recover and his life has to come first.

Despite my feelings towards him I think he's done a very good job of managing this crisis and now he needs to be given the chance to rest and recover.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)