Why Linus still has good things to say about Apple products

rombille

every time

3kyk89.jpg.1559b980686d5c263012e7e6c6029b2d.jpg

1 hour ago, rombille said:

Why does Linus still bring out Apple products when they tried to screw him on his Mac book Pro computer and would not fix his Display. Anyone who watches Louis Rossman videos knows that Apple screws their customers by a. overpricing reapairs b. telling you they can't fix it and wanting you to buy new overpriced products. c. outright lying about your choices on repairs. Old technology that is insanely expansive for no reason. The old Apple was a leader in innovation. now they just reuse old technology. And everything has to be done the Apple way. You pay for something, you should be able to use it anyway you want too. Try loading music or files on to a iphone. You need a course on how to do this. my opinion its overpriced junk. 

Try downloading stuffs on iPhone. It is like rocket science, but the result will always be terrible. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 hour ago, minibois said:

They are a review channel. It's the same reason a news channel would still focus on bad news, it's their job to cover it. Apple being one of the largest tech corporations they can't afford to not review Apple stuff.

That being said, I would still say them - as reviewers - should cover each product with fairness and thus not drag personal bias into it.

Although it's not like they are buying all the Apple products outright, like them planning to return the Mac Pro after reviewing it (as stated on numerous occasions).

Any YouTube channel that is biased and will always bash Apple no matter what? We have a large audiences for such content. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I think because part of his audience is apple consumers and he wants to create content relevant to them.

I think most people know apple doesnt make bad products. That some of its designs are very sleek and impressive.

However, with apple you are not just buying a product but its ecosystem of apples locked down hardware and software.

Thats where apple simplicity comes at a cost of freedom. For most enthusiasts its too expensive to lose that control.

It however doesnt change for some people this is a worthwhile trade off, and its products are sometimes impressive and do offer some interesting designs.

I dont mind apple reviews, personally i never used one and probably never will

16 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

It's also illegal.

Only if there are very clear consumer protection laws. So if its illegal, why haven't there been major class action lawsuit against Apple? Why haven't Apple been banned on some markets if their marketing conflicts so badly with reality?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I think I have saved money by going with Apple, based on my previous non-Apple experiences and others I know who go Android.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Only if there are very clear consumer protection laws. So if its illegal, why haven't there been major class action lawsuit against Apple? Why haven't Apple been banned on some markets if their marketing conflicts so badly with reality?

Most likely the same reasons BMW get away with replacing head gaskets and charging for it when a £25 sensor is what's failed. When your old parts are long gone with no way of getting them back, you can't prove a thing. I doubt Apple will allow you to keep your old logic board to have it inspected, that thing is already off to be repaired and sold to the next customer for a few hundred.

22 hours ago, minibois said:

They are a review channel. It's the same reason a news channel would still focus on bad news, it's their job to cover it. Apple being one of the largest tech corporations they can't afford to not review Apple stuff.

That being said, I would still say them - as reviewers - should cover each product with fairness and thus not drag personal bias into it.

Although it's not like they are buying all the Apple products outright, like them planning to return the Mac Pro after reviewing it (as stated on numerous occasions).

I hate to have to tell you this, but you can't build a Youtube review channel without having personal bias play a role. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that no one wants to watch a tech review that does not add any bias. You know why? Because that would just be a person reading the spec sheet.

I will say that a good review will include the reasoning behind a biased statement, but having no bias at all would lead to reviews like "Apple iPhone 11 is a smartphone. It has three cameras. It runs iOS. It has no headphone jack. etc."

21 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

Or rather you're not getting my point? Apple products is like a premium thing, I hope no one buys them for sheer performance only for the most out of their money. Seriously there are many who just likes Apple's idea of a warranty, in which they just send you a new one when your old one stops working.

Tbh, my customer service experiences with Apple have all been stellar. I've had the "good fortune" to buy an iPod Nano that had a battery charge issue which led to me receiving the best error report I have ever seen (just the word "Dead.") and they replaced it free of charge even though I had bought the thing on another continent. Five years later, it was discovered that the model I had received had another type of battery issue, leading to yet another free replacement, which upgraded my then-unused 2GB iPod to the then-cheapest 8GB model. Three years later, an HDD recall on my iMac led to me getting that replaced for free.

I like the fact that they do it this way because it reduced the impact to me as a customer.

23 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

It's no different if you only watch positive reviews from people getting free samples from Apple, of course you're going have a positive opinion for them.

Yeah and Apple doesn't sample anyone free hardware. Maybe early look for large publications but that's it. Also most reviewers who in fact even do a thorough review of Apple devices aren't the once who got an early look anyway. So your point is invalid at best.

Rossmann isn't the only independent tech in the repair industry, but people biased towards Apple love to single him out and discredit him all the time, if the machines were perfect as some reviewers insist there wouldn't be any point in running a business specializing in Apple device repair.

I single him out because he doesn't seem to know jackshit about the return rates, software problems and hardware defects of other laptops. Razer has horrible track record, asus laptops are known to just die, etc. And general consensus for Apple hardware has always been great (apart from the major fuckup of the butterfly keyboard, which they now fixed).

And the reason why there are shops specializing in Apple hardware repairs is because of the sheer number of Apple devices existing in the real world. Apple has the highest market share in most places if you take category by category basis. iPhones are the most popular 700+ smartphones. MacBooks are the most popular laptops compared to any other single Windows model, Apple Watch dominates smartwatches, and iPad is uncontested. So among a millions and millions of devices, a few hundreds getting broken (and most of them being user damage like liquid) is normal. The fact that you can't seem to get that baffles me.

And that still doesn't change the fact you need an app to do something as simple as drop a file to or from your phone, or you're getting less hardware for the money.

Yeah, so airdrop is appreantly and App in the app store. Smh.Please, tell me an easy way to transfer files from android phone to a windows device like airdrop?

On 1/1/2020 at 12:42 PM, rombille said:

Anyone who watches Louis Rossman videos knows

Anyone who watches Louis Rossman videos should know he's in the horse and buggy repair business in the age of cars.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

42 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

I single him out because he doesn't seem to know jackshit about the return rates, software problems and hardware defects of other laptops.

Well, he doesn't have to. Its not pertinent to his job. Nor would it make a difference if he did. Judge a product on its own merits, if you're comparing it to something else to show "well x does it too" your not improving the image of one company, you're pulling down both.

There's been numerous times that he's given his opinion on other laptop makers, hell he's blasted lenovo and they are had s favourite company.

And yes, he doesn't deal with other manufacture repairs because to him they are not profitable. Doesn't matter why, they just aren't.

Bias can be good as long as you balance it out with bias in the other side and numerous non bias reviews, then come up with your own conclusion.

I see a lot of people discredit rossman because he's anti apple and therefore ignore his opinion, which is stupid.

I'm going to copy paste something I said from a previous thread because I think it fits with this discussion

Spoiler

so you're saying i can just completely disregard peoples opinions here on this forum because it's known that they hate the product they talk about?

the amount of

• anti-Microsoft
  • anti-Intel
  • anti-NVidia

posts on this forum absolutely dwarf the anti-Apple ones.

The people i tend to disagree with most on the above topics would be @LAwLz @Delicieuxz and @jagdtigger. does that mean i should disregard their opinions? Absolutely not. there have been a number of things that i have changed my mind on because of the opinions of these 3, i still have disagreements but you need that, nothing is worse than an echo chamber. your own bias's can cloud your judgement, so you need people with opposing opinions to offset that.

People have the right to be upset with Apple, in fact it's generally the people that are the harshest that you should listen to, because 9 times out of 10 they actually have a legitimate reason for their "disdain" as you put it.

my Tech Philosophy has always been "judge the product, not the company". i Dislike Apple, i don't like their business practices, but i still bought an iPad like a month ago because it was better than the Android alternatives. you don't have to boycot an entire company's products just because you don't like them, especially if they offer something you want/need.

As for Louis, he repairs these things everyday, he makes a living repairing them, so hes in a better position to criticize how they are made than most people. most people don't care how much it costs to repair their PC if it means a lot to them, Apple just makes it unnecessarily hard to repair.

Infact, here's the thread that spawned this comment, its about apple and rossman too

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

3 hours ago, EldritchMoose said:

Tbh, my customer service experiences with Apple have all been stellar.

I'm glad you've had positive experiences, because you're luck at getting products has been horrible :)

(I've been an Apple customer since the 80's and also have good to great customer service experiences, mind you, including an Apple store just giving me a new power adapter for my long out of warranty lap top because they're payment system was running slow that hour)

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

12 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

Anyone who watches Louis Rossman videos should know he's in the horse and buggy repair business in the age of cars.

What, helping people getting their device repaired, instead of the Apple store trying to convince people to pay more than the laptop is worth in repairs or buy new when a $5 cable came loose?

3 hours ago, EldritchMoose said:

I hate to have to tell you this, but you can't build a Youtube review channel without having personal bias play a role. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that no one wants to watch a tech review that does not add any bias. You know why? Because that would just be a person reading the spec sheet.

I will say that a good review will include the reasoning behind a biased statement, but having no bias at all would lead to reviews like "Apple iPhone 11 is a smartphone. It has three cameras. It runs iOS. It has no headphone jack. etc."

What I meant was, someone should be able to make a review without any previous bias. Not that they can't say their own opinion.

There is a difference between saying "This phone was okay because xyz" and "I hate brand A, this is why I hate their phone".

A reviewer shouldn't drag their bias towards a company into a review of a product. You are reviewing a product, not a brand. You are reviewing the experience you have with a certain device. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

27 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

Can you explain this analogy? Because from my perspective, it's the opposite. The average person could repair a buggy or heck a much earlier car on their own easily, but not really a modern car.

Maybe he likes the design 

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

2 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

Yeah and Apple doesn't sample anyone free hardware. Maybe early look for large publications but that's it. Also most reviewers who in fact even do a thorough review of Apple devices aren't the once who got an early look anyway. So your point is invalid at best.

Many reviewers that produce videos on Apple products are usually biased towards the positives of it and hardly ever mention any flaws with the product. However you can't claim my point is invalid unless you have proof Apple doesn't provide anyone with free hardware for review.

I single him out because he doesn't seem to know jackshit about the return rates, software problems and hardware defects of other laptops. Razer has horrible track record, asus laptops are known to just die, etc. And general consensus for Apple hardware has always been great (apart from the major fuckup of the butterfly keyboard, which they now fixed).

You're singling him out just because they don't know the issues other laptops have? That doesn't matter, he doesn't repair anything but Apple laptops. By going "but other laptops have problems" you're clearly grabbing at straws.

General consensus for Apple's hardware is going to be great because people line up to buy it no matter what, they kept the awful butterfly keyboards for way too long, told people no no you're just using it wrong and you have to spray the keyboard with a can of air because these keyboards are flawless, and people still lined up for the latest laptop still using defective keyboards.

Yeah, so airdrop is appreantly and App in the app store. Smh.Please, tell me an easy way to transfer files from android phone to a windows device like airdrop?

So you still need an app to easily transfer files, all you need with an android phone is a USB cable, or most phones usually have some kind of wireless sharing.

Not sure if you're trying to be like some hardcore tech person, because right not you don't seem like it.

Why does Linus say good thing about Apple products?

What do you expect him to say, bad things? He does review, when doing a review, one needs to have an open mind, not immediately start bashing it with negativity, just because it says has the Apple branding on it.

7 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

So you still need an app to easily transfer files

Air Drop is a function built into iOS, not an App that needs to be downloaded.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Not sure if you're trying to be like some hardcore tech person, because right not you don't seem like it.

Why does Linus say good thing about Apple products?

What do you expect him to say, bad things? He does review, when doing a review, one needs to have an open mind, not immediately start bashing it with negativity, just because it says has the Apple branding on it.

Air Drop is a function built into iOS, not an App that needs to be downloaded.

I agree having an open mind with reviews is important, but after Apple really screwed him over with that iMac Pro he doesn't really have any reason to keep reviewing Apple products besides getting more views from Apple users, most Apple consumers probably wouldn't watch the LTT videos on various other things.

I know iPads and macOS have AirDrop built in, wasn't sure about iOS, but I still think it's weird you can't easily transfer a video to your phone without iCloud or macOS so that kind of forces you in the whole ecosystem.

15 hours ago, minibois said:

What I meant was, someone should be able to make a review without any previous bias. Not that they can't say their own opinion.

There is a difference between saying "This phone was okay because xyz" and "I hate brand A, this is why I hate their phone".

A reviewer shouldn't drag their bias towards a company into a review of a product. You are reviewing a product, not a brand. You are reviewing the experience you have with a certain device. 

And what I meant was that reviews are inherently biased by their very nature. Any person's experiences with a device is going to be coloured through the lens of their biases which may or may not be inextricably linked to a company's preferred method of doing things. I stopped using iPhones (and made a conscious choice to replace my iMac with a PC) because of a number of reasons, including but not limited to:

- reliance on iTunes.

- the fact that save pictures on my phone are all renamed to "IMG_****".

- near complete lack of support for Bluray.

- the proprietary nature of many of their products or connectors.

- great if you want to use a tool that's in the walled garden, unnecessarily difficult when the tool is not in the walled garden.

- I wanted to build and be able to tweak my devices to a greater degree than Apple allows.

All of these are tied to the way Apple does things and key reasons for me to move away from them as a customer. I may not hate Apple, but an argument could be made that I am certainly biased against the way they do business. My experiences with an iPhone will be influenced by the fact that I don't like the way Apple does things, but does that mean I wouldn't be able to review an iPhone? Does this invalidate my opinion on the camera or sound quality of the device?

Too often, "biased" gets thrown around when "critical" would be more accurate. I think it's a stupid business decision to force me to link all my mobile devices with my iTunes account while only allowing five devices at any given time. It doesn't make me hate Apple as a company, but it's certainly a thing that will impact my experience with a new mobile device from Apple and would be something I bring up if I were to review a new iPhone.

On 1/1/2020 at 3:44 PM, RedRound2 said:

Rossmann has strong bias against Apple. he only sees broken machines among tens and millions of perfectly fine machines.

This

His sample size is entirely made of broken devices. So I watch some of his educational videos "how-to-fix-this-part", and leave the ranting aside.

On 1/1/2020 at 3:00 PM, Jurrunio said:

repairs repairs repairs, thing is there are tons of people who dont care about this. All they want is a job to be done for a set price, even if it's a bit high.

a LOT of people are like that (like most of my family for exemple), but then there's also the enthusiast that would love to fix things by himself when the warranty is over. I completely understand the "want" Apple has, to lock down their product, but it shouldn't be at the cost of the regular Joe that wants in the ecosystem at a reasonable price, even if he's on his own, or the person that wants to keep his old device and go to a 3rd party repair shop.

But to be fair to Apple, I had a similar experience with HP, where I had a perfectly working laptop, but a dead power brick (yet still under warranty because I just had bought an original replacement a few months prior), yet calls after calls would yield the same replies ; "this laptop is discontinued, you should buy a new one !", even though I kept telling them it wasn't the laptop the issue. I did get the issue resolved, but what I mean is, it's understandable for companies to want their clients to change devices rather than fixing them (after all, that's where the money is).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

42 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

His sample size is entirely made of broken devices. So I watch some of his educational videos "how-to-fix-this-part", and leave the ranting aside.

He does have a point with some of his rants, such as pointing out a specific flaw that Apple keeps putting in their computers (typically a power management IC that isn't suitable for the job), and then Apple saying that said computer is a "premium" product or charging half the cost of the computer for what amounts to a new IC and some soldering.

3 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

He does have a point with some of his rants, such as pointing out a specific flaw that Apple keeps putting in their computers (typically a power management IC that isn't suitable for the job), and then Apple saying that said computer is a "premium" product or charging half the cost of the computer for what amounts to a new IC and some soldering.

That's my issue with them, using components that just can't cope with the job they are being asked to do, custom variations of parts that serve no purpose other than to be impossible to source, replacing whole boards for a single failed component, and then blaming 3rd party repairs as a reason for this.

Every engineer makes a fuck up at some point, whether it be something minor like a flex cable that's not capable of handling the bending required and may fail, or a right whopper like using an under-rated resistor that fails after 18 months of daily use. Things like that happen and are easy to remedy, what can't be excused is then using the same part in the next revision knowing that there will still be failures and then only offering a replacement board as a repair option. If it's under warranty then there's no cost to the user, but when SSD's are soldered down and Apple refuse to recover data then it becomes totally unacceptable. Everyone should have backups, especially on mobile devices, but for those of us that occasionally work offline or need to configure specific drivers an OS settings, it can be a day or so to get productive again and potential lost data.

Apple, just repair the customers damn board. Even if you don't warrant the repair and have a week turnaround time, that's better than nothing. Or better still, if you really can't be arsed to do board repairs, send it elsewhere with the parts, charge the customer, give it back and say good luck.

6 hours ago, EldritchMoose said:

- reliance on iTunes.

- the fact that save pictures on my phone are all renamed to "IMG_****".

- near complete lack of support for Bluray.

- the proprietary nature of many of their products or connectors.

- great if you want to use a tool that's in the walled garden, unnecessarily difficult when the tool is not in the walled garden.

- I wanted to build and be able to tweak my devices to a greater degree than Apple allows.

These all sound like relevant points to bring up in a review of an Apple product, since they are relevant to the usage of a device.

But if you only rely on bias without reviewing it again, that's bad.

Say you had the previous bias of "I can't tweak my devices" and kept that bias, you wouldn't give new customization a chance (I just took this as an example, I don't know your stance or the current Apple standing on that part).

There is a difference between obviously showing your bias and not moving past that and reviewing a product fairly.

I am not good with words, so I don't know how to write down what I have as thoughts.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/