NordVPN hacked - More like FlawedVPN

yolosnail

The admission comes following rumors that the company had been breached. It first emerged that NordVPN had an expired internal private key exposed, potentially allowing anyone to spin out their own servers imitating NordVPN.

NordVPN told TechCrunch that one of its data centers was accessed in March 2018. “One of the data centers in Finland we are renting our servers from was accessed with no authorization,” said NordVPN spokesperson Laura Tyrell.

The attacker gained access to the server — which had been active for about a month — by exploiting an insecure remote management system left by the data center provider, which NordVPN said it was unaware that such a system existed.

NordVPN did not name the data center provider.

Looks like 'hackers' were able to access one of NordVPN's rented servers without requiring any authorization. They say that while no logs were leaked, it was possible for someone to pretend to be a NordVPN server and collect data that way

NordVPN said it found out about the breach a “few months ago,” but the spokesperson said the breach was not disclosed until today because the company wanted to be “100% sure that each component within our infrastructure is secure.”

As usual, this is the fault of a third party, they found out about it a whole ago but wanted to make sure that they were fully secure before a public announcement.

I personally find it quite scary that a company can go around saying they keep your data safe and secure, but rent out servers with security issues that they didn't know about!

Source: https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/21/nordvpn-confirms-it-was-hacked/

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

OOF

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

And some people were giving shit at LTT in the beginning for not choosing NordVPN instead of PIA for their VPN of choice...

Hah.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

And some people were giving shit at LTT in the beginning for not choosing NordVPN instead of PIA for their VPN of choice...

Hah.

Speaking of bad VPNs... TUNNELBEAR!

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

LTT showing what VPN's you should ignore. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

big yikes

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

It makes sense that the good old rule that is "everything either has been breached, will be breached, or both" applies to VPNs as well

I do wonder about the timeline though.. Surely it shouldn't take 1,5 years to let your customers know they might be in trouble

It probably would've been prudent to earlier mention a breach was discovered. Details needn't have been released until a fix was issued. Keeping the customerbase in the dark about core functionality is one of the "5 Easy Steps to Piss Off your Customers." ;)

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

it really bugs me that they have known for months and told nobody!

https://nordvpn.com/blog/official-response-datacenter-breach/

The official response from Nord with more details about the incident. 

The expired TLS key was taken at the same time the datacenter was exploited. However, the key couldn’t possibly have been used to decrypt the VPN traffic of any other server. On the same note, the only possible way to abuse website traffic was by performing a personalized and complicated MiTM attack to intercept a single connection that tried to access nordvpn.com.

This appears to refute the opening commentary from techcrunch. Or at least attempt to.

40 minutes ago, Queen Chrysallis said:

my nordvpn sub expires in 3 days... what to do, what to do... where to go, where to go? ?

TOR?

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

Hah.

This could have happened to PIA as well.  LTT simply lucked out ... for now. 

Here is the source https://share.dmca.gripe/hZYMaB8oF96FvArZ.txt if you want to test it out for yourself. Looks like it was floating around for quite a while before anybody noticed it. If the key was used before it had expired, there would be no warnings. Impersonating a trusted web server would be a gold mine for a sophisticated attacker especially after what Google Project Zero discovered being used out in the wild, potentially leading to full device compromise of a Pixel or Galaxy device. Also VikingVPN and TorGuard were hacked.

This tweet aged well:

EHVR6h1XkAMTl4N.jpg:large

Fail to see how this is Nords fault

by exploiting an insecure remote management system left by the data center provider

Never used Finland servers anyway. Nord is still the best performing VPN for my shitty internet 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

TOR?

You probably already know this, but TOR on its own is a bad idea.  TOR traffic is really obvious, and can be used to identify you, like in the case of this guy who called in a fake bomb threat to get out of finals (Verge link plz don't kill me)  If you don't want that to happen to you, you should use TOR underneath a VPN, like today's sponsor, PIA!

Pseudo related:

I bet this guy feels like a fool:

(He switched from PIA to Nord)

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

6 hours ago, LividPanda said:

Here is the source https://share.dmca.gripe/hZYMaB8oF96FvArZ.txt if you want to test it out for yourself. Looks like it was floating around for quite a while before anybody noticed it. If the key was used before it had expired, there would be no warnings. Impersonating a trusted web server would be a gold mine for a sophisticated attacker especially after what Google Project Zero discovered being used out in the wild, potentially leading to full device compromise of a Pixel or Galaxy device. Also VikingVPN and TorGuard were hacked.

This tweet aged well:

EHVR6h1XkAMTl4N.jpg:large

The remote access was removed by the server provider on March 20th 2018. So the people who swiped the cert had all of 3 weeks to watch traffic going through a single Finnish server. In order to subsequently abuse the cert, they would have to separately target individual computers with a MitM attack that were trying to connect to the server in question and not any other server. The scope of this breach is incredibly minor unless you were specifically using a Finnish server between late February and mid March of 2018.

1 hour ago, ravenshrike said:

The remote access was removed by the server provider on March 20th 2018. So the people who swiped the cert had all of 3 weeks to watch traffic going through a single Finnish server. In order to subsequently abuse the cert, they would have to separately target individual computers with a MitM attack that were trying to connect to the server in question and not any other server. The scope of this breach is incredibly minor unless you were specifically using a Finnish server between late February and mid March of 2018.

Your explanation and ultimately theirs ignores an entirely separate attack vector. Impersonation of a trusted web server once you have the private keys. Imagine you're running a phishing campaign and the malicious site you set up now isn't just using any old valid TLS certificate but is using NordVPN's valid certificate. That would be an unsophisticated simple attack to harvest credentials from a service that largely trades in fear, uncertainty, and doubt with its customers. Imagine the certificate wasn't expired in the screenshot below and I copied the NordVPN site automatically with the Social Engineering Toolkit and then started sending out emails that have been gathered from previous breaches. How about a dump of users from a private torrent tracker breach? They'd likely be using a VPN service, right?

image.png.38cb1dd8669e3a87fb22e650ddd057d2.png

I agree the MitM attack would of been a stretch but I think it is burying the lead and isn't what an attacker would actually do at all, they'd go phishing. If you used NordVPN on your phone when this occurred in combination with the link in my first post about a Use-After-Free attack affecting Android phones you now have a very real sophisticated attack chain that isn't purely academic. 

People are acting like having an out-of-band management solution you don't know about is a get out of jail free card. NordVPN is ultimately responsible for knowing what is and isn't plugged into their servers. Critical Security Control number one is Inventory of Authorized and Unauthorized Devices. If they failed at doing number 1, what makes you think they're doing 2 through 20? Not to mention the at best dubious ethics of waiting this long to notify people.

11 hours ago, Deli said:

Fxxk, it's time to switch. Which VPN service is safer?

p r i v a t e i n t e r n e t a c c e s s