Unpopular Tech Opinions

On 9/7/2021 at 7:51 PM, GDRRiley said:

A PSU creates so little heat and most people put it on the bottom so it

actually they can get quite hot, depends heavily on the model apparently but they can - for example "straight power 11" heat up my entire pc in no time and for no apparent reason (someone told me its on purpose as the unit is designed to use the case as heat sink - i don't know if thats true, but its effectively what actually happened) Funny thing is a "pure power 10" doesn't heat up at all, at the roughly same load / configuration (~450w)

Now I have a RMI which is somewhat in the middle,  its not "hot" like the straight power was, but it does warm up quite a bit .

The other thing is, it probably depends on other things as well, for example i had a nzxt case and it got hot as heck (20 c more than my inwin case!) And that *did* have the psu in the bottom plus a "top exhaust "... it didn't do anything at all lol... now I don't know if the nzxt case was really *this* bad or if the design is just flawed regardless,  but hot air still goes *up* it's not ideal...

(Depends on many factors perhaps , i just don't think the majority of psus actually runs *cool*, on the contrary i think most people just don't actually test this... which is hard to do anyways admittedly) 

Side note, my current set-up is as follows:

Psu on top (inwin case):

Psu fan off, gpu temp: 63C 

Psu fan on , ~900rpm, gpu temp: 56C (same load)

While I think this mostly shows a "top exhaust " is actually useful,  it also shows that the design (psu on top) is actually not bad at all (if done right)

it can reduce latency

but by how much? You need still an input lag tester,  because frametimes =/= input lag, i think the influence is really minimal but no one really tested it yet either? And then the question is, does 1-2ms (guesstimate) *really* help, especially in an online environment with possibly  100+ ms of "latency"? 

It probably does, but in the same way a placebo "works". 🤔

I-GPUs need it

They've got a point, good luck cooling a 300W+ CPU on air without having a jet engine on it

Yeah, there are always exceptions to the rule, but generally people buy AOIs for the bling mostly,  unaware that a good air-cooler would be at least as good, igpus, it does make make sense they would show a big difference with faster ram , but for ryzen cpu specifically ,i tested it, 2933mhz, 3200mhz, 3600mhz , there is just basically no difference... like 1fps more,  maybe (that really seemed to be a thing with the faster ram 👀) and then was told "its my motherboard probably..." nah, I'm not buying that, the ram either runs at a certain speed or it doesn't,  so the effects of ram speeds are often vastly exaggerated in my opinion and testing...and yes, I've seen some videos from GN where he gets like "10fps" more with faster ram, but! he also tweaked it "for 2 days" , sub timings and such, I think that's a bit misleading even if true, because most people will buy ram and not bother with sub timings and such, and even then success isn't guaranteed at all.

It's nice he gets these results, I found it rather sus however, precisely because of the sub timings and stuff, not that i don't believe it, but the take away will mostly be "fast ram=more fps", which just isn't true in a bold fashion like this, in my experience,  or at least over exaggerated...will change my opinion when I can test this myself some times, perhaps - maybe I really just need one of those magic super (expensive) motherboards? 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Mark Kaine

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

actually they can get quite hot, depends heavily on the model apparently but they can - for example "straight power 11" heat up my entire pc in no time and for no apparent reason (someone told me its on purpose as the unit is designed to use the case as heat sink - i don't know if thats true, but its effectively what actually happened) Funny thing is a "pure power 10" doesn't heat up at all, at the roughly same load / configuration (~450w)

Now I have a RMI which is somewhat in the middle,  its not "hot" like the straight power was, but it does warm up quite a bit .

the only thing that should affect how much heat they make is efficiency. a 85% efficient unit means its dumping 15% into heat and yes that changes with load but even a 1500W gold PSU is going to do maybe 150W of heat under max load. a 750W gold unit is around 80W max

The other thing is, it probably depends on other things as well, for example i had a nzxt case and it got hot as heck (20 c more than my inwin case!) And that *did* have the psu in the bottom plus a "top exhaust "... it didn't do anything at all lol... now I don't know if the nzxt case was really *this* bad or if the design is just flawed regardless,  but hot air still goes *up* it's not ideal...

(Depends on many factors perhaps , i just don't think the majority of psus actually runs *cool*, on the contrary i think most people just don't actually test this... which is hard to do anyways admittedly)

they run cool enough for their parts and for many of the larger brands to toss out at least 5 if not 10 or 12 year warranties

but by how much? You need still an input lag tester,  because frametimes =/= input lag, i think the influence is really minimal but no one really tested it yet either? And then the question is, does 1-2ms (guesstimate) *really* help, especially in an online environment with possibly  100+ ms of "latency"? 

It probably does, but in the same way a placebo "works". 🤔

did you miss the LTT video on it?

, igpus, it does make make sense they would show a big difference with faster ram , but for ryzen cpu specifically ,i tested it, 2933mhz, 3200mhz, 3600mhz , there is just basically no difference... like 1fps more,  maybe (that really seemed to be a thing with the faster ram 👀) and then was told "its my motherboard probably..." nah, I'm not buying that, the ram either runs at a certain speed or it doesn't,  so the effects of ram speeds are often vastly exaggerated in my opinion and testing...and yes, I've seen some videos from GN where he gets like "10fps" more with faster ram, but! he also tweaked it "for 2 days" , sub timings and such, I think that's a bit misleading even if true, because most people will buy ram and not bother with sub timings and such, and even then success isn't guaranteed at all.

did you keep the timings as tight? it does no good to run 4800 C30 vs 3600 C14

ram especially on ryzen isn't a simple discussion given single vs dual rank dims affect it, motherboards can mattering on how they've got it wired

its not misleading, he said what hes done not you'll get this right out of the box.

It's nice he gets these results, I found it rather sus however, precisely because of the sub timings and stuff, not that i don't believe it, but the take away will mostly be "fast ram=more fps", which just isn't true in a bold fashion like this, in my experience,  or at least over exaggerated...will change my opinion when I can test this myself some times, perhaps - maybe I really just need one of those magic super (expensive) motherboards? 🤷‍♀️

its not about how expensive the board but how its wired. go watch some https://www.youtube.com/c/ActuallyHardcoreOverclocking if you want to learn about why it can affect it and all the little details about OC.

so its sus because you haven't spent the time testing it yourself? thats not a good way to decided if something is true or not

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

People shopuld upgrade parts that are dragging them.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

8 minutes ago, sub68 said:

People shopuld upgrade parts that are dragging them.

i dont think upgrading a gpu at this moment is a viable option.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

• 3 weeks later...

I really like laptop keyboards. Not for typing comfort or gaming, but I can type the fastest on them.

After that come normal office/membrane keyboards and lastly for me mechanical boards. I just can't get used to mechanical.

This is the reason my preference are low profile keyboards. Too bad it's a bit of a niche.

We deserve the scalped pricing on graphics cards thanks to people supporting purchases at insane markups.

China banning crypto is something other nations should follow suit with. Gamers aren't entitled to a 3000 series card at retail, the environmental impact is the bigger issue.

3 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

We deserve the scalped pricing on graphics cards thanks to people supporting purchases at insane markups.

China banning crypto is something other nations should follow suit with. Gamers aren't entitled to a 3000 series card at retail, the environmental impact is the bigger issue.

Agree. 

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes - what can I say? 

1. Everything being connected is a bad thing.  I don't want my refrigerator to communicate to google what my eating habits are.  I don't want my toilet communicating to google what my BM consistency is.  Tech innovations are cool; great even.  But I don't want them talking and sharing data.  I'll use a keypad to get into my house; I don't want to use my phone to do it.  I'll use an old fashioned RF remote to open my garage, I don't need android apps to do that.  And I'll take as much RGB as possible--but it will never be smart-connected in any way.  The only exception is getting a gaming setup to color-coordinate RGB.  In which case, that would be nice; can we get an industry standard on interfaces and software so that you don't have to stick to only 1 company--just to make things work?

2. 1080p belongs only on phones.  If you offer a device > 10" with 1080p, you go should go to prison.

3. Phones are no longer phones.  Today's phone is practically competing with a mini-tablet for market share.  Calling a phone "mini" when it has a screen over 5" means you should go to prison.  Phones sizes are a conspiracy with the textile industry to sell more purses and other accessories--because you can't fit the damn things in your pocket.

4. Curved is legit.  32:9 is not.  I don't want to use a computer where it feels like I'm peering through a prison-window.  And every multiple-monitor setup--ever used on a personal desktop--has the monitors canted inwards.  Stop selling "single-monitor" options to replace these...that have ZERO curved options; it's asinine.  16:10 > 16:9, 21:9 and 32:9.

5. A quality membrane KB is preferable to a noisy mechanical one.  Why the hell would I go to the trouble of trying to silence fans/cooling in my PC, only to pick a keyboard that sounds as loud as a jumbo jet on take-off?

6. Laser mice are superior to optical mice.  Life on the go with an optical mouse is an exercise in masochism.

7. Wired will always be superior to wireless--until and unless capacitive charging is built into the darn things, and I don't ever have to worry about losing my interface mid-game due to low battery.

8. Nanoleaf is beyond overplayed.  It's like your grandparents dancing to the Macarena levels of overplayed.

9. RGB should always come with diffuser options (I myself am guilty of sinning, as I currently have none on my edge-lighting).

10. Gamer chair should be illegal at this point.  I would trust a $19 chair from Big Lots over one of those pieces of garbage.

11. If the hippies really cared about the environment, they'd be banning crypto-currency.  The power demands alone are going to hobble the entire power grid in 2 decades or so...if left unchecked.  It shouldn't even be about providing gamers with access (i.e. reasonable prices) to GPUs.

12. Freemium games are treasonous and the business model should be illegal.  If your game relies upon gambling, micro-transactions, etc...you are satan.  Kill yourself.

5 minutes ago, IPD said:

1. Everything being connected is a bad thing.  I don't want my refrigerator to communicate to google what my eating habits are.  I don't want my toilet communicating to google what my BM consistency is.  Tech innovations are cool; great even.  But I don't want them talking and sharing data.  I'll use a keypad to get into my house; I don't want to use my phone to do it.  I'll use an old fashioned RF remote to open my garage, I don't need android apps to do that.  And I'll take as much RGB as possible--but it will never be smart-connected in any way.  The only exception is getting a gaming setup to color-coordinate RGB.  In which case, that would be nice; can we get an industry standard on interfaces and software so that you don't have to stick to only 1 company--just to make things work?

I totally agree with this statement and would not be surprised if it is popular. 

6 minutes ago, IPD said:

2. 1080p belongs only on phones.  If you offer a device > 10" with 1080p, you go should go to prison.

dang ig i gotta go to prison. 1080p really isnt that bad, especially if its a tv that you arent gonna be super super close to. Hardly noticable difference at a distance. 

https://www.lttstore.com/

1990 M3s are the best looking things ever made.    

^This statement has been retracted^
2020/2021 BMW S1000RRs/Ninja H2s are the best looking things ever made. 

Don't ask to ask. 
If you want me to see the reply, @XGoodGuyFitz(aka me) and/or quote me.
Thanks!

13.  Introductory pricing.  When your ISP wants to raise your rate by 100%+ after 6 months to a year--kneecaps should be broken.

On 9/19/2019 at 6:17 AM, 5x5 said:

Laptops have become too "thin and light" at the expense of everything else

I would buy a Cheap but thick and heavy laptop for good specs instead of a thin and light one .I barely even move my laptop around so it doesint matter for me and i only use a laptop just for the convenience when i DO move and for the battery

TABLET:Lenovo M10 REL
Main pc:Asus X543 with pentium n5030
old pc: toshiba c55-B5353 with a pentium n3530

21 minutes ago, Shaunegaming said:

I would buy a Cheap but thick and heavy laptop for good specs instead of a thin and light one .I barely even move my laptop around so it doesint matter for me and i only use a laptop just for the convenience when i DO move and for the battery

Ditto.  2" think would be fine if it has a RTX 3080, a 4k screen, and won't overheat.

On 9/8/2021 at 4:30 PM, Rex Hite said:

MS Office 2007 is fine.

2003 was even better 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

14. Movies in "3D" are not worth it.  Apart from Avatar and maybe 1 or 2 more, they are all just gimmicks.  You get--at best--a subtle distinction between foreground and background.  You won't get 3-5+ layers of depth and the experience isn't going to very much at all from a regular 2D experience.  Avatar may be a crappy story, but I still refuse to watch it again in non-3D.

My unpopular opinion is that you don't need to number all your unpopular opinions.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Spread thermal paste evenly on the IHS instead of adding just one dot.

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

Just now, thekingofmonks said:

Spread thermal paste evenly on the IHS instead of adding just one dot.

Not sure that is actually unpopular since they already sell tiny spatula tools for that.  It’s not something that makes sense to me though.  It strikes me as a great way to trap air bubbles.  It apparently works at least OK though. May waste thermal paste.  I don’t know.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

12 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Not sure that is actually unpopular since they already sell tiny spatula tools for that.  It’s not something that makes sense to me though.  It strikes me as a great way to trap air bubbles.  It apparently works at least OK though. May waste thermal paste.  I don’t know.

Far less air gaps than when it’s a dot that only spreads in one direction when installing the heatsink.

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

5 hours ago, thekingofmonks said:

Far less air gaps than when it’s a dot that only spreads in one direction when installing the heatsink.

For sure it requires you to press them together level, or it won't spread even.  But unless you are drastically over or underdoing the paste--i don't think it will matter much.  Even if you spread it, the compression between them when installing is going to move the paste around a bit.

6 hours ago, thekingofmonks said:

For it to spread in only on direction the heat sink would have to go on very unevenly. Might happen more often than expected though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 9/7/2021 at 8:22 PM, JZStudios said:

The motors are quite large, it's hard to do subtlety with them. I like the trigger rumbles in the Xbox controller and can occasionally provide information. The PS5 controller has transducers so it can be more detailed and subtle... but it's still pretty much the same.

He's promised a lot of things and said a lot of stuff that never happened and weren't ever true. The entirety of Tesla and all of his promises made about it are a complete joke.

Not necessarily "tech" related, but I've heard a lot of people say that PC games aren't poorly optimized because they have graphics options. To which I'd like to point them towards Saints Row 2, GTA4, Arma 3, Batman Arkham Knight (I don't even care if it was caused by Denuvo) and to an extent Crysis (Since it was designed around dual core and not "multi-core"). Having people telling me a game that looks awful and runs poorly is just as well optimized as something like Destiny 2 which ran shockingly well on my system is infuriating.

Sounds like more of an opinion about the cars than the man.  I’m not sure “a complete joke” is accurate.  There have been some big overstatements though.

I dislike any keyboard that's not a fullsize 100% keyboard. Only good reason I can think of is space saving.

27 minutes ago, FRD said:

I dislike any keyboard that's not a fullsize 100% keyboard. Only good reason I can think of is space saving.

I do too, even though a lot of buttons on it I’ve never used. I found out what they’re for though: word processing.  I can’t see a heavy word processor user ever wanting anything but a full size keyboard.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Sounds like more of an opinion about the cars than the man.  I’m not sure “a complete joke” is accurate.  There have been some big overstatements though.

Not really. The cars aren't known for reliability, the customer service is very known for being terrible at best and non-existent at worst, none of his release plans for any vehicle or production has been met to date, overstatements is an understatement, even things like the Tesla Semi if they lived up to their marketing would still be pointless, he knowingly showcases and sells false products that don't even exist, and he's an egotistical asshat. They're even upcharging people $400 to access their own heated seats.

Tesla is a complete joke, and the only reason people buy them is because they were the first big push into government subsidized EVs. Now Ford, Porsche, VW, and others are entering the EV and hybrid market and they're all much better than Tesla. The only reason Elon runs Tesla is to fund SpaceX.

Check out the cybertruck, his claims of ramping up production, the roadster, the Semi, solar titles, opening factories, self driving cars by 2020, etc. and literally none of them have worked or happened yet.

#Muricaparrotgang