Here’s why Chrome is slow (it’s NOT your RAM)

AdamFromLTT

Google Chrome isn't as good as it used to be. While it was a great replacement for Internet Explorer and Firefox and Safari, but as it's become the dominant browser, it seems like it ain't quite how it used to be. And now that browsers like Microsoft Edge, Brave, Opera GX and Vivaldi have all switched to run on Chromium, we decided to get to the bottom of those performance woes.

Would have actually been nice to see some Firefox performance, and Safari(or any webkit based browser), given they're the primary competitors to Chromium based browsers that are actually different under the hood.

I personally gave up on Chrome years ago, and have been using Firefox ever since without any issues. Would use it on my iPhone as well if apple wasn't forcing WebKit on everything. And I'm glad I chose it seeing as Mozilla continues to support manifest v2 and their v3 implementation is different to Google's allowing for extensions like content blockers to remain fully featured while also allowing for cross platform extensions.

25 minutes ago, JEskandari said:

that's why people use Firefox derivative like LibreWolf or Floorp.

but honestly that compared to Chrome is child play

That and you can just permanently opt out of stuff like this with a a few switches. They even mention it in the article and redirect you to an article telling you how to do it.

image.png.f375d9c16e51a6214a6daf486e96f7bb.png

1 hour ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

That and you can just permanently opt out of stuff like this with a a few switches.

Opt out and it can't be done during the initial setup.

People never go out of business.

13 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

That and you can just permanently opt out of stuff like this with a a few switches. They even mention it in the article and redirect you to an article telling you how to do it.

image.png.f375d9c16e51a6214a6daf486e96f7bb.png

I did not know that it was a thing. Just disabled it. It is really sad seeing how Firefox management are actively trying to ruin Firefox under the guise of keeping the lights on. All while they get paid ludicrous amount of pay for ruining Firefox. Did they change that CEO who tried to defend Google search monopoly? or is she still running the organization down?

14 hours ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

Switch to firefox is what they say:

https://blog.mozilla.org/en/products/firefox/firefox-search-update/

Mozilla dropped this earlier today.

I mean yeah that's not amazing, but at least they're being transparent about what they're doing, which Google or Microsoft really aren't.

Meanwhile in 2024: Ivy Bridge-E has finally retired from gaming (but is still not dead).

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X; 64GB DDR5-6000; Radeon RX 6800XT Reference / Server: Intel Xeon 1680V2; 64GB DDR3-1600 ECC / Laptop:  Dell Precision 5540; Intel Core i7-9850H; NVIDIA Quadro T1000 4GB; 32GB DDR4

On 5/14/2024 at 5:21 PM, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

Opt out and it can't be done during the initial setup.

True but it doesn't reset itself on updates like some other companies do. Just checked and mine's still disabled.

Just for fun i did the motionmark benchmark on much older hardware than in the video, and with odd parameters.

Conditions: intel I5 4570 CPU, 16GB ram, RTX 2070 Super GPU, Windows 11 Pro, Windows Defender.

From left - Vanilla Edge -> Plain Firefox on WSL2 (Subsystem for Linux) -> Vanilla Google Chrome -> Vanilla Edge in Windows Sandbox (30FPS)

I don't know what a good score is and isn't, but i find benchmarks interesting, especially compared head to head in this way.

Skärmbild 2024-05-16 215849.png

Why would you run FF under WSL and not native

5 hours ago, daithic said:

Why would you run FF under WSL and not native

Experimenting with WSL and FF was like a good start. I normally dont like FF.