Unpopular Tech Opinions

4 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

The new Discord looks pretty bad.

The new logo is fine, it's barely any different to the old one anyway.

The font on the other hand... don't even get me started...

Quoting myself from a status update:

"The new Discord brand font looks absolutely disgusting. First time I saw it I literally thought there was a bug causing it to be rendered incorrectly.

It somehow manages to look both squashed and stretched at the same time."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Just now, pythonmegapixel said:

The new logo is fine, it's barely any different to the old one anyway.

The font on the other hand... don't even get me started...

The new font reminds me of when you try to write properly with a super thick/broad marker, it feels really convoluted.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

8 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

The new Discord looks pretty bad.

That sentence amuses me a lot. Applicable in so many ways.  Discord means disagreement.  It’s actually the name of a Greek/Roman diety who was the goddess of arguments. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

As well as networking 21 years worth of Windows without a care in the world, I also clean the dust from my workstations with a vacuum cleaner and a paintbrush. As well, I don't wear any grounding straps. Grounding straps are the dental floss of tech.

2 hours ago, Rex Hite said:

As well as networking 21 years worth of Windows without a care in the world, I also clean the dust from my workstations with a vacuum cleaner and a paintbrush. As well, I don't wear any grounding straps. Grounding straps are the dental floss of tech.

So you’re saying you’re not well grounded then 😛😛😛

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Gah!!! Still not seeing most graphics.  The video thumbnails are gone, all the editing icons and apparently the smileys.  Rebooting my phone did not fix.

Another unpopular tech opinion;

I expect many people think this is an extremely bad idea but I print out all my passwords from Firefox and keep it in a folder in a filing cabinet.

I've done this for years. It has come in handy many times. Physical access to the list means access to a filing cabinet containing far more personal and valuable information than can be got from dicking around with a stolen computer. The only password not printed out is the master password.

Vista was kind of OK. 

Autopilot is good at braking in my opinion.

Ethernet can be just as bad as Wi-Fi.

Resolution > Refresh rate. I prefer 1440p 75Hz to 1080p 240Hz, because FPS games aren't' the only existing games.

1440p looks way better on 24" and no scaling is needed.

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

4 hours ago, TheOriginalPhoto said:

Autopilot is good at braking in my opinion.

How good any driver-assistance technology is at its job is an immaterial question until it is good enough that it can be trusted to drive entirely autonomously, because until it can be trusted to do that, and until we have the ethical and legal issues around it doing that out of the way, it is still essential that the driver watches the road at all times and is ready to intervene if something goes wrong. No matter how good the automatic braking is, in an emergency situation the driver still needs to apply the brakes.

The fear I have with Autopilot is that it gives drivers an excuse for distracted driving, which is dangerous, because as we've seen in the past, computers screwing up this kind of thing can have disastrous consequences.

Ethernet can be just as bad as Wi-Fi.

Well yes, if the upstream network is no good or there's something wrong with your cables...

Wi-Fi will never be as stable as Ethernet though. An Ethernet cable doesn't just randomly disconnect from your computer, does it?

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

Disabling updates and allowing the  operating system update once or twice a year is fine.

On 5/18/2021 at 4:29 AM, TheOriginalPhoto said:

Vista was kind of OK. 

Yes, just the hardware was not yet ready after 5 years of Windows XP.

Good luck vista and 512mb RAM, but even 1gb was trash

Who even uses Discord? I feel like it's for typical gamers only. Same goes for Reddit, but not just for gamers.

Origin is totally fine, Steam isn't THAT much better. Ubisoft is the worst probably.

2 hours ago, FRD said:

Who even uses Discord? I feel like it's for typical gamers only.

Discord sees very little "mainstream" use. Most people I know that use it are gamers or involved in RPG's, etc.

2 hours ago, FRD said:

Same goes for Reddit, but not just for gamers.

Reddit has a lot higher mass usage, but typically is relegated to the more "techy" internet savvy folk. Still, you get plenty of middle aged regular folk on reddit.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Whenever I hear of discussions on discord I imagine people throwing little golden apples at each other. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_of_Discord

On 5/15/2021 at 4:42 AM, Andreas Lilja said:

I don't get the whole insurrection when there are no FOV sliders.

I literally get heacaches from playing first-person games with 70° or 80° FOV. So any 1st person game that has no FOV slider (or at least 90° FOV as standard) is unplayable for me. Same with useless camera wobble. I can't play Hellblade or the Tomb Raider trilogy because after 1 hour of playing the game i get motion sick from the wobbly camera and have to quit.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

I honestly hate how certain tech tubers buy old hardware and then only run modern games on it.  I'm not against seeing modern games benched, that gives you a baseline to compare performance between other more modern hardware, but to stop there you're just going 'LOL Radeon HD 7770 Runs Cyberpunk Like A Potato!'.  They should also bench and show off older, but still very playable games that the hardware can be used.  Especially today when people are trying to get more life out of older hardware due to shortages, it'd be useful to see some 'older' games that you can run really well on that hardware along side the more modern games that you're running at 800x600 and still getting 19fps.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

1 hour ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

I honestly hate how certain tech tubers buy old hardware and then only run modern games on it.  I'm not against seeing modern games benched, that gives you a baseline to compare performance between other more modern hardware, but to stop there you're just going 'LOL Radeon HD 7770 Runs Cyberpunk Like A Potato!'.  They should also bench and show off older, but still very playable games that the hardware can be used.  Especially today when people are trying to get more life out of older hardware due to shortages, it'd be useful to see some 'older' games that you can run really well on that hardware along side the more modern games that you're running at 800x600 and still getting 19fps.

I agree. It would give some context .

But unless it is a channel that specifically caters to old stuff it's not in the channe'ls interest to dwell on how well old stuff might work but how great new stuff is. And how crap old stuff is. Their sponsors sell new stuff. There's land to be filled and it isn't gonna fill itself.

6 minutes ago, Rex Hite said:

I agree. It would give some context .

But unless it is a channel that specifically caters to old stuff it's not in the channe'ls interest to dwell on how well old stuff might work but how great new stuff is. And how crap old stuff is. Their sponsors sell new stuff. There's land to be filled and it isn't gonna fill itself.

Nah, these are people who typically do 'older' hardware,  RandomGaminginHD would top my list but not be the only example.  But people reviewing mini PCs/compute type boards, ect, would also benifit from it.  I don't see how seeing a Latte Panda board fail at Cyberpunk tells me much of anything without showing me what it is good at.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

9 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

I literally get heacaches from playing first-person games with 70° or 80° FOV. So any 1st person game that has no FOV slider (or at least 90° FOV as standard) is unplayable for me. Same with useless camera wobble. I can't play Hellblade or the Tomb Raider trilogy because after 1 hour of playing the game i get motion sick from the wobbly camera and have to quit.

Interesting. Can you close your eyes and balance on one leg?  Some people can’t.  

7 hours ago, Suki-chan said:

Low-end, cheapo smartphones are actually fun and enjoyable to use...

I use a 100usd Nokia 3.1C

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

7 hours ago, Suki-chan said:

Low-end, cheapo smartphones are actually fun and enjoyable to use...

To be fair features that are low end now we’re high end 10 years ago and they worked fine then.  Shouldn’t be any reason they wouldnt keep doing it.  The big difference between low end and high end phones seems to mostly be processor speed, camera quality, and pixel density.  If you don’t need anything more than snap quality images, don’t play hardware intensive games on your phone, and don’t require retina level pixel density or super high refresh rate, a higher end new phone just doesn’t have much of anything on a lower end one. A lower end phone today has more raw horsepower in it than desktops ive used in the more distant past. If all you do is watch videos, use the browser, and maybe do some video chat, a lower end phone can do all that just fine.

Edited by Bombastinator