Unpopular Tech Opinions

I think the old home computer + integrated keyboard format should be revived. Something that isn't really a notebook but portable enough so you can take it with you if you go traveling somewhere as far as the place has a video output such as a TV. I hate the way laptop screens sit so low, but not as much as I hate flat keyboards, and nowadays laptops look like I will break something in any moment as they're paper thin. Yes, yes, I know, you can't take such a thing to a coffee place and achieve the hipster experience of using your computer inside Starbucks, but I don't even do that to start with (hate aside, I just don't do that).

18 minutes ago, PlacaFromHell said:

I think the old home computer + integrated keyboard format should be revived. Something that isn't really a notebook but portable enough so you can take it with you if you go traveling somewhere as far as the place has a video output such as a TV. I hate the way laptop screens sit so low, but not as much as I hate flat keyboards, and nowadays laptops look like I will break something in any moment as they're paper thin. Yes, yes, I know, you can't take such a thing to a coffee place and achieve the hipster experience of using your computer inside Starbucks, but I don't even do that to start with (hate aside, I just don't do that).

Agreed. I love the idea of showing up at a hotel and just hooking up my pc. Currently I'm saving up for an InWin 301 to make my pc more portable, and then I'll go for some wireless periphs.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, PlacaFromHell said:

Didn’t LTT do a review of a raspberry Pi “keyboard” that was pretty much exactly that?  You could of course..  you’d just need a portable monitor to bring along with it. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Interesting. Can you close your eyes and balance on one leg?  Some people can’t.  

Is this supposed to be a joke or a serious question?

I'm just really susceptible to motion sickness when it comes to the things i mentioned. Motion sickness is a thing.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 5/19/2021 at 5:55 AM, KappaPlz said:

Windows 8.1 wasnt bad. 

it was pretty good.
8.0 can die but 8.1 always ran fine on my old laptop, although I did have one of the fastest mobile CPUs of the time

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

19 hours ago, FRD said:

Who even uses Discord? I feel like it's for typical gamers only.

I'd say lots of Youtube channels use it for a community.
I know at least a dozen camera channels that run discords and its not always the big ones

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

Is this supposed to be a joke or a serious question?

I'm just really susceptible to motion sickness when it comes to the things i mentioned. Motion sickness is a thing.

Yes.  One cause is problems with the inner ear but some people learn to balance visually and may never know they have a problem.  They can’t close their eyes and maintain balance though.  I tried after learning that. It is harder but not undoable.  I’ve gotten extremely seasick. Bad enough Dramamine wouldn’t touch it. It was ikishibi style fishing though, which involves letting a small boat drift on ocean currents and can get just about everyone, however I’ve never gotten carsick.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

21 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yes.  One cause is problems with the inner ear but some people learn to balance visually and may never know they have a problem.  They can’t close their eyes and maintain balance though.  I tried after learning that. It is harder but not undoable.  I’ve gotten extremely seasick. Bad enough Dramamine wouldn’t touch it. It was ikishibi style fishing though, which involves letting a small boat drift on ocean currents and can get just about everyone, however I’ve never gotten carsick.

I can balance myself with closed eyes. I normally don't have problems with motion sickness. I can even play VR for hours without any signs of sickness or headaches. But for some reason i am really susceptible to narrow FOV and wobbly cameras. Like i said, after playing an hour of Hellblade (which combines a narrow FOV and a lot of useless camera shaking) i felt horrible and was about to puke. Never had this issue to that extend in any other game before or ever since.

And i see no problem for devs to implement a simple FOV slider that at least goes to 90° and a toggle for camera shaking. Then i don't have to skip games that i'd love to play otherwise. I don't even understand why some games run on 70° FOV by default. Why is 90° not the standard like in CS:GO for example?

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 9/19/2019 at 3:45 AM, James Evens said:

4. the red nipple on think pads should be removed

5. 640 kB is enough

I had a simular opinion with my latittude E6540
Until today, when my pointer went total crazy, like opening and closing youtube videos, just wondering around the screen.
It is a gamechanger when your trackpad does eventually fail
My day would have been ruined without one

Lenovo should sell black tips to those nipples, I guess

On 9/19/2019 at 3:52 AM, 5x5 said:

Apple, Razer, Asus, Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo, all of them

I would dissagree on the case of dell.
Almost all of the dell laptops availlable here are from their Bussiness lineup.
I can tell you they are not thin
Dell´s XPS does exist, but they are just way too expensive, at least for most people

"desktop inkjet printers for the home office are an excellent value"

Also, I think that dailying a low-end Optimus from 2011 is fun.

18 minutes ago, Rex Hite said:

"desktop inkjet printers for the home office are an excellent value"

Yes! But only if you know how to refill.

4 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

Apple makes a lot of good stuff

Wouldn't really call this an unpopular opinion, majority of their products are good even though they make some anti consumer choices

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2019 at 5:41 PM, Guest said:

Ever feel like you were alone in what you thought about technology today? I sure have, so I thought I'd create this thread to see if we're truly as alone as we may think. So ITT, list off a few items that seems go against the grain when it comes to mainstream tech ideas. I'll start.

1. High end specs in a phone (ie 12GB of RAM) are a waste of money to both produce and buy

2. 'Safety features' in a modern vehicles, like applying the brakes for you, will create bad driving habits and bad drivers overall

3. Voice assistants are a bad idea

I like Austin Evans more than LTT

2 minutes ago, Coastqr said:

I like Austin Evans more than LTT

Dont know what Austin evans is.  Is that anything like Austin Powers or Austin Healey?

3 minutes ago, Coastqr said:

Oh.  That dude. Seen his stuff. Seems he doesn’t always know what he’s talking about.

Don't see the use for an anti-malware in 2021.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 hour ago, overthe6r said:

Phones should be easily damagable. We need Linus tipping tech

Sounds like a potential foldable phone customer

Content on YouTube at 60fps feels weird

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, FlareFXZ said:

Agreed

Currently anyway.  There seems to be some bleed. Zen2 could fight and zen3 is owning a bit, but zen1 and zen+ were not as competitive.  They often get a bounce though because they’re AMD. There are some very very good AMD chips out there.but also a few not so good ones.

On 4/22/2021 at 1:33 PM, SeanChronicR said:

New iMac is SEGGZY AF

NGL it does look good. Not in my price range and it can't do what I want but if there was a PC that looked like that and was $800 cheaper I would look into that.

2 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Content on YouTube at 60fps feels weird

My router overheats if I upload YT videos for too long so I put them all in 30 FPS because it makes them upload faster and therefore they don't get cancelled halfway thru because of the router shutting off.