Unpopular Tech Opinions

4 hours ago, IPD said:

For sure it requires you to press them together level, or it won't spread even.  But unless you are drastically over or underdoing the paste--i don't think it will matter much.  Even if you spread it, the compression between them when installing is going to move the paste around a bit.

That’s exactly not my point: what matters for the least is that there’s paste everywhere on the IHS. It is another concern for the paste to be spread equally, but at least there’s proper contact between the heatsink and the entire IHS.

Asus ROG G531GT : i7-9750H - GTX 1650M +700mem - MSI RX6600 Armor 8G M.2 eGPU - Samsung 16+8GB PC4-2666 - Samsung 860 EVO 500G 2.5" - 1920x1080@145Hz (172Hz) IPS panel

Family PC : i5-4570 (-125mV) - cheap dual-pipe cooler - Gigabyte Z87M-HD3 Rev1.1 - Kingston HyperX Fury 4x4GB PC3-1600 - Corsair VX450W - an old Thermaltake ATX case

Test bench 1 G3260 - i5-4690K - 6-pipe cooler - Asus Z97-AR - Panram Blue Lightsaber 2x4GB PC3-2800 - Micron CT500P1SSD8 NVMe - Intel SSD320 40G SSD

iMac 21.5" (late 2011) : i5-2400S, HD 6750M 512MB - Samsung 4x4GB PC3-1333 - WT200 512G SSD (High Sierra) - 1920x1080@60 LCD

Test bench 2: G3260 - H81M-C - Kingston 2x4GB PC3-1600 - Winten WT200 512G

Acer Z5610 "Theatre" C2 Quad Q9550 - G45 Express - 2x2GB PC3-1333 (Samsung) - 1920x1080@60Hz Touch LCD - great internal speakers

57 minutes ago, thekingofmonks said:

That’s exactly not my point: what matters for the least is that there’s paste everywhere on the IHS. It is another concern for the paste to be spread equally, but at least there’s proper contact between the heatsink and the entire IHS.

An expanding circle pushes air out of the way. A descending plate can trap it. Might be possible that compressing the drop so it expands evenly enough is beyond the capacity of the average builder though, in which case the spread technique might be better. If it’s done right the drop technique will spread the paste just fine.  It becomes a question of which is more commonly net worse.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

I do too, even though a lot of buttons on it I’ve never used. I found out what they’re for though: word processing.  I can’t see a heavy word processor user ever wanting anything but a full size keyboard.

Just for school I do a lot of word processing, but also for calculations you just can't live without the numpad on the right. Typing calculations with the numbers on top is just frustrating.

I think I use most keyboard buttons, except F1-F12 and a few others. Home, End, Pg Up, Pg Down are great for writing, but even for writing on this forum for example.

A non full size keyboard also feels too small and unnatural for me.

7 hours ago, FRD said:

I dislike any keyboard that's not a fullsize 100% keyboard. Only good reason I can think of is space saving.

Fact Check: True

100% all the way.  What are "space" are you saving?  Are you trying to game on the lunch tray on your airline seat?  What "weight" are you saving?  Are you saying that you literally cannot open a jar of pickles because "weenie arms"?

And there needs to be case modding options for 100%.  Tired of finding the cases/frames that look how I want--and then find out that they do not offer them in 100%.

And on that note: Aviator Plugs are a retarded gimmick of the me-too keyboard crowd that serves no viable purpose for 99.999% of consumers.

4 hours ago, FRD said:

Just for school I do a lot of word processing, but also for calculations you just can't live without the numpad on the right. Typing calculations with the numbers on top is just frustrating.

I think I use most keyboard buttons, except F1-F12 and a few others. Home, End, Pg Up, Pg Down are great for writing, but even for writing on this forum for example.

A non full size keyboard also feels too small and unnatural for me.

Also true.  But for me it harkens back to playing Descent 1, and how I would play without a mouse.  WADS keys for movement, Numpad for roll, pitch and yaw.  I've adapted to using a mouse, but the familiarity stuck.  And i do prefer having the number input option right there.

On 9/19/2019 at 2:41 AM, Guest said:

2. 'Safety features' in a modern vehicles, like applying the brakes for you, will create bad driving habits and bad drivers overall

Bruh.. This feature has saved me twice in my Volvo V70 D3 from 2016.. Maybe even a third time when i didnt notice the car rolled too.

On 9/19/2019 at 2:41 AM, Guest said:

1. High end specs in a phone (ie 12GB of RAM) are a waste of money to both produce and buy

Think i have 8GB now and honestly i can it runs faster than when i had 6GB on my old huawei from 2017..

If your fine with 1GB vram, thats cool but i prefer applications actually loading faster.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

29 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Smart light bulbs are just ridiculous.

If you enjoy walking over to a wall instead of using 1 second of your life to double tap an application, be my guest.. But i prefer RGB rainbow glitter in my entire apartment synced with the caramel song blasting xDD

edit:

All tho im not allowed to do full blast anymore.. As the neighboors complained..

But my house and THEIR garage seperating our properties and yet.. They hear my 40 watt subwoofer from the Z623 Logitech set.. But noooooo no full blast any longer..

Also now with a dog it doesnt fit too well unless i close the door and open both my windows x)

Edited by MultiGamerClub

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

Joke's on everyone my switches glow in the dark.

Only some of mine do.  The one in my bathroom and the ones in the common areas.  They were expensive.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

19 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Here those were the norm but I've heard they were banned in the mid 90's over health concerns, whatever makes them glow was deemed toxic. Now they're all regular plastic and only the expensive ones come with a tiny LED. Visuals over quality.

That’s weird.  What makes them glow is a little LED in the switch end that runs off house current. I bought mine around 2000.  I can see that happening with phosphorescent stuff.  Mine are a lot like night lights though I don’t know if the others are.  40 years is a fairly reasonable service life for a higher quality light switch.  There very well might be some still around.

photo:

050ECAA5-741A-4D51-923E-37594CF75C40.jpeg

B7311D1F-7F3F-43EB-8EAF-0C9F9B408A64.jpeg

5 hours ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Bruh.. This feature has saved me twice in my Volvo V70 D3 from 2016.. Maybe even a third time when i didnt notice the car rolled too.

If you've had to rely on automated emergency braking 3 times in the past few years then either you spend an awful lot of time driving, you've been quite unlucky, or you really need to start paying more attention to the road.

5 hours ago, MultiGamerClub said:

If you enjoy walking over to a wall instead of using 1 second of your life to double tap an application, be my guest..

But that assumes you are already spending all of your life glued to your phone. There is no reason to assume that at any given time, walking over to pick up my phone, unlocking my phone and opening the app will take less time than just going and using the light switch normally. Especially considering that most of the time, people switch lights on/off as they enter or leave a room, and switches tend to be placed next to doors.

Internet control of light bulbs for me falls firmly into the all-too-common category of a fantastic product for people with mobility difficulties having a really strained attempt to market to the wider population.

I can get behind some of the scheduling features that the smart systems have, but they could be implemented without needing an internet connection, if the companies weren't more interested in data mining than actually providing a usable and secure product.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

12 hours ago, IPD said:

Also true.  But for me it harkens back to playing Descent 1, and how I would play without a mouse.  WADS keys for movement, Numpad for roll, pitch and yaw.  I've adapted to using a mouse, but the familiarity stuck.  And i do prefer having the number input option right there.

In my case I have good experiences playing Tony Hawk using the arrows and numpad. Back then we also used to play split screen games with 2 people using the same keyboard. Ghosting was a bigger issue at the time.

6 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

If you've had to rely on automated emergency braking 3 times in the past few years then either you spend an awful lot of time driving, you've been quite unlucky, or you really need to start paying more attention to the road.

43000km the last 3 years now 🙂, it has saved me from many things already and im always suprised when it does a suprise break, attention wise no idea as some of the scenarious still doesnt make sense 😄

6 hours ago, pythonmegapixel said:

if the companies weren't more interested in data mining than actually providing a usable and secure product.

This does kind of scare me, but i have yet to hear mining noises from the lamp 🙂

I have LeGrand light switches.  They have the LED dot light.  Also have the outlets with the adjustable intensity night light.  Cannot recommend enough.

As far as rainbow puking it up...hey go for it.  I like color LEDs, and I'd outfit my whole house if I were more motivated.  I don't want smart connected stuff though.  Give me a normal switch per room/application.

The tech industry should slow down and try to work against consumerism.

We should value simplicity (both in hardware and in software) over needlessly complicated systems such as the software and garbage hardware (how many different microprocessor are in your CPU socket nowadays?) that we use today. 

Instead, we keep chasing bigger numbers. Faster IPC, more cores, faster NVME drives, more RAM, the list goes on and on. This allows developers to become lazy and write slow code (electron) or insanely big code (Linux is now 20 Million LoC) without care which renders old machines useless and the cycle continues.

Simple code is easier to maintain and tends to be faster. Simple code ages better.

Simple hardware is easier to program for and to write code in a lower level.

</rant>

On 10/10/2021 at 4:50 PM, FRD said:

I dislike any keyboard that's not a fullsize 100% keyboard. Only good reason I can think of is space saving.

I didn't want to get rid of the number pad myself, so after some research online I opted for buying a 98 keys board that wouldn't lose the functionality I had from the workplace boards yet it would still be small enough to not take up half of my personal desk space at home.

Leopold FC980M is the keyboard I'm talking about and it's such a nicely built board, really like it in the Cherry MX "Pink" configuration.

On 10/14/2021 at 12:55 PM, kvuj said:

The tech industry should slow down and try to work against consumerism.

We should value simplicity (both in hardware and in software) over needlessly complicated systems such as the software and garbage hardware (how many different microprocessor are in your CPU socket nowadays?) that we use today. 

Instead, we keep chasing bigger numbers. Faster IPC, more cores, faster NVME drives, more RAM, the list goes on and on. This allows developers to become lazy and write slow code (electron) or insanely big code (Linux is now 20 Million LoC) without care which renders old machines useless and the cycle continues.

Simple code is easier to maintain and tends to be faster. Simple code ages better.

Simple hardware is easier to program for and to write code in a lower level.

</rant>

Lots of shoulds in the world.