iRaise, iFold - Patent points to DUAL folding iPhone

rcmaehl

Source:
Tom's Guide

Summary

Apple seems to want to 1-up the folding phone competition with a DUAL fold

Media:
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS81L0gvODQwMDA1L29yaWdpbmFsL0FwcGxlLUZvbGRhYmxlLVBob25lLVBhdGVudC1BZ2Fpbi5qcGc=

Quotes/Excerpts:

Apple’s foldable phone patents keep piling up...At this point we can easily assume that Apple will release a foldable phone, just like everyone else. The new patent describes a device that can be folded not once but two times. Mixed use of flexible material covering for the flexible part on the hinge and hard glass-like parts for the flat sides of the display. The patent doesn’t discuss if this is for a phone, a tablet, or both. The Cupertino company got awarded a patent for a flexible battery in March 2018...a...patent for a magnetic latch that would keep the phone closed without any physical mechanism, [and] a Motorola Razr-like vertical foldable phone. So perhaps the question now is not if Apple will release such device but when. 

My Thoughts:
When it comes to the folding device war, I think the old flip phone-esque designs are going to win out. I'm unsure where Apple's phone stands design wise, but inwards folding phones provide more case coverage. It will be interesting to see the upcoming foldable phone designs.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

iDon'tCareForFoldingPhones

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

#SpacebarLivesMatter

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Oh god why

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Incidentally, I think dual folds are the way forward when it comes to folding phones.  That said I'm not sure they're really ready or necessary at this point at all, but if you're gonna have one, this is how.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Lots of patents are filed for products that never go to market for various reasons.

The design looks like my wallet.  Considering the push by everybody to replace your wallet with your phone, I can see this being a "hey, that'd be cool to fit where my wallet does" design inspiration…and quite frankly, large phones are one of the major reasons I won't get a modern phone…doesn't comfortably fit in a pocket anymore.  If it can be done without compromising durability, this would be pretty cool.  I don't think that time is reasonably soon, but I expect it will eventually happen, if holographics/AR don't find better ways to do large personal displays sooner.

2 hours ago, bleedblue said:

Oh god why

So they can sue Samsung again. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, givingtnt said:

nobody should give a shit about folding phones. I thought we were past that.

Sorry about my spelling sometimes. My $1200 laptop has a $2 keyboard.

9 minutes ago, BleachedFur said:

nobody should give a shit about folding phones. I thought we were past that.

I don't understand this ideology,  why shouldn't people be interested in them?  The concept is great and if they can manage to make a more robust one I'd certainly be interested. I hate big phones.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I’m going to say it now, this phone will be very THICK.

The real iBook.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

This is goind to be THE folding phone, considering apples vast expirience with flexible aluminum and glass. A few years ago i would even say this unironicly, despite my spite towards apple

People who really wants one: #SacrificingMyBothKidneysAndChildrenToAffordOne

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

I just can't see them being durable enough.

A folding phone just seems like a gimmick to me, what's the actual benefit?

My current phone certainly has enough screen space, i don't need a longer screen, especially when i can't reach from top to bottom with one hand as it is. (ahem stupid iphone draw being top right of the screen and home key at the bottom)

Can't they give us more battery power first?

Weird Flex but Ok

#FlexandBendgatereturns

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

2 folds seems to me a bit too cumbersome for a small device. 

If its something you are going to use a lot. Flipping it once is enough

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

2 folds seems to me a bit too cumbersome for a small device. 

If its something you are going to use a lot. Flipping it once is enough

I think Apple is trying to avoid a Center crease similar to the fold. Would you take a crease (between each of the three open apps) that you wouldn't touch as much, or a single crease in the middle of the screen.