How do you justify large purchases to yourself?

Arika

This is a conversation i was having with one of my friends about 2 hours ago.

per the title, how do you justify making large purchases? not just tech, but anything

She was telling me that she regularly spends large amount of money and that if something costs less than her fortnightly pay (that's every 2 weeks) then she doesn't feel bad about buying it, obviously as long as she doesn't spend more than her pull pay within that 2 week period. This just feels weird to have that kind of mindset.

I feel like i have to budget for weeks before buying anything large, and if something else comes up first it pushes it back further. it sometimes takes me a month or more between "i want this" to actually buying it, it's not for a lack of money it's just that i feel like i have to prepare to spend large sums.

Maybe i'm the weird one?

Spoiler

though the above was never up for debate, i'm weird, but in other ways.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I always say it'll pay itself off, or I've been thinking about this far too long, I should just get it. More onto the cost side of things, I'm a big AfterPay addict, throws your budgeting for the week off slightly because you think its just $20 a week etc. 

Well, everyone has their own "budget" and "value", cant argue on that.,

so as long as there is low opportunity costs/ doesnt affect living, their purchase isnt big to them

14 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

i think this depends greatly on what the purchase is

the one we were talking about was like $1200 AUD worth of clothes/accessories

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I set the money aside. Then it's no worries since it doesn't effect my budget

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

"I can buy this today, it breaks tomorrow, but that one is $150 more expensive, but it'll last me a lifetime".

$1200 AUD on clothes/accessories is for me, too far.

For me it's: "Do I buy this $500 winch that's been known to die or this $1000 winch that will go a lifetime"

And then I just reduce the amount of money spent elsewhere. No fast food, no large purchases of stuff I don't need etc.

14 minutes ago, Arika S said:

clothes is harder for me to justify if I have decent clothes. If my holes are torn up it's as simple as a necessity, but at that much money, I wouldn't be able to justify. I could get by with 500 for a pretty extensive wardrobe update. 
Anything past that is me getting name brands which isn't necessity. I tend not to buy expensive clothes personally. If I already have good clothes and I just want more or new, I wouldn't justify it unless I was a lot more wealthy

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

22 minutes ago, Arika S said:

if its good quality though why not. I just don't buy budget shoes or jeans or shirts etc because they don't last long at all, but now buying premium they last forever. Its a good value option really. 

For me it's either:

An "investment" (something I'll need or use for a long time)

Or "But I need it for my studies!! #sadface".

You know, just secondary stuff. Secondary laptop, MX master (because I gotta control all these devices!), Wireless keyboards, 60% mechanical keyboards (for class!! Even though it's all mathematics)

For smaller stuff it's more like: "You know you're going to be sad soon and give in and buy it. Might as well get it already."

And my favourite quote from my friend regarding AliExpress: "You don't buy what you need right now. You what you'll need two months for now" 

F me honestly

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

For anyone saying they cant justify that much on clothes just remember those people buying the clothes probably couldnt justify spending what we do on hardware, for them the 299.99 laptop on sale at best buy is just fine where as on here most of us wouldnt use that for anything besides a door stop. As for the OP, it just comes down to how much disposable income you have. If you make 5 or 6 grand a month and your monthly bills are like 2 grand than it would be pretty easy to justify a $1000 expenditure, not on a weekly basis but definitely far more often than someone who makes 2 grand a month and has 1600 in bills

Depends on the sort of purchase, but I like doing the "how much does this item cost me per hour that I will use it/how much it costs me per hour saved".

So for example, if a 100 USD item saves me 100 hours in a year, that is a worthy purchase.

Otherwise I don't spend a ton of money (I think?) on luxury items. With things like clothes I am super utilitarian, meaning I just buy what I need, just not for high prices (like brand clothes).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

7 hours ago, Arika S said:

per the title, how do you justify making large purchases? not just tech, but anything

Depends on what it is, what it is for and especially:
How long I intend to use it!

A Miele Washing machine can be justified by "well, I pay 1000€ for it now, but I will use it the next 15 years, that's just 66,70€ per Year, that's pretty cheap!"

7 hours ago, Arika S said:

She was telling me that she regularly spends large amount of money and that if something costs less than her fortnightly pay (that's every 2 weeks) then she doesn't feel bad about buying it, obviously as long as she doesn't spend more than her pull pay within that 2 week period.

To be blunt:
It sounds to me that she doesn't have no purpose in life and needs something to do because she doesn't have anything else.

Well, problems of modern societys, where people are told the wrong things, shit that doesn't really matter that is, in the long run, not forfilling for the people that are told these lies...

But if you went down the Rabbit Hole too much, its hard to come out of it and go for what you really want/need.

Hint: Its nothing you can buy with money.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

well i mean what is large really. for me anything above 100 bucks i dont buy just right away but i first research way too long on whats the best price to performance product and where could i get a good deal. for example i will buy alot of tech stuff used. just cause theres not much that can age really. at lest in my experience all my tech stuff was perfectly fine. 5.1 dolby by teufel was fine. 55" Sony TV was fine (actually half price compared to new). 1080 ti was fine. also if its worth it then its worth like the gpu was the most expensive gpu ive bought ever but again i got a good deal and im happy with it. my last chair was a bummer though i spent 400 bucks (also the most i ever spent on a chair) and it was just pure fancy looking but shittyly built china crap. 

some things just cost more. but think if i got a good deal compared to market price then its fine. i spent 800 bucks on a frigde but the justification was that its a quality brand and should last me a "life-time". same thing for the bed. i spent 1000 bucks but its a special order with harder matresses and perfectly worth it to me. 

right now i have a shopping cart at EK that im hesitant to comfirm and order since its like 300 bucks in watercooling supplies and its not a neccessary product but just a hobby so i wait until i feel like i deserved it somehow

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

if it like helps a skill, i usually get it, not for total enjoyment per say, like my new system, i play games on it, but its also much better for content creation and engineering programs, so it helps be become better at my skill 

and also if it saves me time , thats a bonus too

PC: Alienware 15 R3  Cpu: 7700hq  GPu : 1070 OC   Display: 1080p IPS Gsync panel 60hz  Storage: 970 evo 250 gb / 970 evo plus 500gb

Audio: Sennheiser HD 6xx  DAC: Schiit Modi 3E Amp: Schiit Magni Heresy

For me, I think of the long term benefits. Like college for example, I'm expecting to have to take out student loans. However, I feel confident that I'll succeed, in which case I'll have a nice paycheck to not worry about it. With building a new pc (just under 2,000 USD) I think about what I'm actually getting. Hardware that is not only top grade, but that is up-gradable in the near future. I can then sell the 'old' stuff and help pay for the new upgrades; when they happen. I don't normally buy things if I don't have the money. Buying my truck and going to school are the only exceptions right now (though buying land and building a house will be another). At the end of the day, I'd say it's all about what the purchase is worth to you in any-other value than monetary. I have my first car that's in a state if disrepair right now. It's worth about 400 USD in it's current state, but there's more than enough sentimental value for me to not care how much I spend on restoring it (probably closer to 10,000 USD when it's all said and done). 10k seems like a lot, but at the same time, I'm expecting it and will be overjoyed when it's done. So I guess it's all in your mindset and how you value what you spent, on a non-monetary level.

I recently bought a £520 Asus ChromeBook, and I justified it using the following questions to ask myself, and I have to answer 'Yes' in order to get the green light.

• Do you need it?
  • Will you be financially stable after this purchase?
  • Will you be happy after this purchase?

I answered yes to all, and so allowed myself to shell out £520 for it. One of the best purchases I've made in recent years, as when I'm out and about, it has the processing power and aesthetics that I've dreamt about for years.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

When I don't owe anything to anyone and when I have enough money to spare. Which is usually always because I don't waste it in the first place.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I WANTS GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!!!!!!

or something like that?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Do I have the extra money to spend (even after moving my normal amount to savings, after bills etc)?

Will I still use it 2-3 years (more or less depending on item) from now?

Will it offer me a noticable benefit from what I have now?

Is the price reasonable for what it is?

If yes to all of those, I generally have no regrets buying something.  Although I'm the type that researches before buying so I rarely impulse purchase something.

"Anger, which, far sweeter than trickling drops of honey, rises in the bosom of a man like smoke."

I justify it by how much I am going to be useing the item  take my car for instance.   I have at least an hour drive to and from work, plus I usualy eat lunch in my car or take a nap during lunch in my car  so though out a normal week I spend around 20+ hrs in there so Im ok with spending more on that. 

the things i tend to cheap out on are things like soap, food, tv subscriptions, flashy watches, and useless items like tattoos, alcohol, candy,  apps things like that.  

Mostly set money aside each month for possible items I want down the road.  But, I still a sticklier on finding the lowest price even on big items.

I will hunt for a few months for lowest price I can get while checking historic lows.  Heck, I hunted over a whole year to nab my current main monitor (bought barely used).  Even if I have the money to out right buy a item at full price, I still going to hunt or wait for the best deal I can get or just not buy it if the item never gets to a price I'm willing to pay. 

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

12 hours ago, Arika S said:

Why y'all gotta spend so much money on clothes? 

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!