Windows became extremly slow, then broke, i reinstalled windows and it is messy.

Go to solution Solved by manikyath,

that sounds very similar to the behavior i'd expect when your boot drive is dying, might be worth checking that before you spend hours upon hours of troubleshooting.

So, a couple days ago when i wanted to turn on my pc so i did, i put my password and after pressing enter it took really long. When windows finally booted, there were no icons on the desktop and i could not open apps on the taskbar. The desktop behaved like a application that is not responding and sort of "refreshed" a couple times. Eventually it did sort of load. However, many apps would not start and show a error that i don't fully remember

[it said something like: the service you wanted to run is not installed]. That included task manager and the setup.exe program on a bootable windows usb stick. Also networking did not work. So i reinstalled windows [clean install] and the issues were mostly fixed. But the following morning, i had similar issues to the previous day. I also did not mention that i had a issue where sometimes when booting it would say: windows needs to be repaired. But sometimes it would simply boot into windows.  It did work a couple times but then one time when it booted, there was no networking once again. Then the networking worked. I flashed the bios right as i was typing this post.

Also, right before i flashed the bios, windows booted into the setup screen you see after all files have been moved from the USB to the drive. So, does anyone know what is the cause and how to fix it?

31 minutes ago, Darknighterror said:

Download malwarebytes and check all drives

So turns out the fix might have been running the System File Checker but there is a chance that it will break after some time.
Also with a clean install, wouldn't any viruses be deleted?

6 minutes ago, i like xeons said:

So turns out the fix might have been running the System File Checker but there is a chance that it will break after some time.
Also with a clean install, wouldn't any viruses be deleted?

Maybe im missing something, but in theory only things that are associated with the deleted files.So if you have some malicious file that is still on your drive and not related to the windows install, it should be still there.

that sounds very similar to the behavior i'd expect when your boot drive is dying, might be worth checking that before you spend hours upon hours of troubleshooting.

Try another clean install, but after doing a secure erase on your boot drive.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I put a different SSD and installed windows on it. If it works for 1 week then I will mark @manikyath's solution as the right one.

On 4/30/2024 at 11:33 PM, manikyath said:

Yep, that was likely the drive, since i have basically no problems with the new one