FBI Conducted a Sting Operation on Huawei at CES

danieltien
Message added by W-L

Just as a reminder that political debates aren't allowed and may lead to to sudden removal of posts. 

Spoiler

No trolling or flame-bait.

• This includes topics such as AMD vs NVIDIA, "company X sucks", and political or religious debates.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-02-04/huawei-sting-offers-rare-glimpse-of-u-s-targeting-chinese-giant

Chicago-based Akhan Semiconductor was in development of a potential competitor to Corning's Gorilla Glass, coating glass with a proprietary diamond nanoparticle medium. Huawei expressed interest in the product and agreed to a 60-day evaluation period, during which they promised not to damage the sample and return it on time. Months overdue, Akhan received their sample back, except that it was broken in pieces, with chunks missing. FBI lab testing found that it was hit with a high-powered laser in an attempt to reverse-engineer it. The FBI enlisted the executives in a sting operation that was conducted during the CES show in January, after which the San Diego headquarters of Huawei were raided.

"...the government searched the Huawei lab in San Diego where Akhan's glass had been sent. The FBI raid was a secret, but not to Khan and Shurboff, who'd been receiving regular briefings of the investigation's progress through Akhan's lawyer, Renato Mariotti, a well-known former prosecutor who's now a partner at Thompson Coburn LLP. By then, they'd succeeded in getting Huawei representatives to admit, on tape, to breaking the contract with Akhan and, evidently, to violating U.S. export-control laws. Huawei did not respond to repeated requests for comment. This story is based on documents, including emails and text messages exchanged among Huawei, Akhan, and the FBI as well as reporting from the sting operation in Las Vegas and interviews with Khan and Shurboff."

Ah, so I see the problem. Huawei didn't pinky swear.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

A bunch of idiots over there. They knew this would happen. I was thinking of buying one of their products today...NOT ANYMORE!!!!!

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Ah, so I see the problem. Huawei didn't pinky swear.

Everyone forgets the pinky swear.

This wasn't so much "at CES" as "during CES" though.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Is it me or are the past couple years (trump admin) the first time where we're calling china out for doing what china does- IP theft? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

11 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Is it me or are the past couple years (trump admin) the first time where we're calling china out for doing what china does- IP theft? 

Yes, it is.

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

10 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Chinese just can't help themselves... they just have to steal others work/tech/products.

i mean, their phones has had pretty bad glass in the past. so at least they know who to steal from and what.......

inb4 the "definitcly not A12 Bionic" kiririn 69420 from Huawei

21 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

More like the long going issue being a bit more talked about in the media.

The disputes between both countries been going on way before the current administration.  Along with compliants filed even back during previous administrations.  One WTO compliant I'm aware of was filed back in Apirl 2007 agaisnt China over IP theft.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Always knew Huawei was phoney

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

This definitely has nothing to do with Trump. There's a push in the industry for this. He's also not even anti spying, outside of the campaign trail complaining about being wire tapped by Obama.

I think trump has a lot to do with the huawei and ZTE bans, mainly posturing. Though yah, why I'm talking this admin in general not trump in particular. It's a new concept to me, we've never really help them accountable 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

2 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

More like the long going issue being a bit more talked about in the media.

The disputes between both countries been going on way before the current administration.  Along with compliants filed even back during previous administrations.  One WTO compliant I'm aware of was filed back in Apirl 2007 agaisnt China over IP theft.

The disputes were there but any action from the government? 

To be clear I'm not saying trump is the cause, just the trump admin is when it started. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Huawei: *sells phones that are better than the iphone*

USA:

tenor.gif

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

8 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

To be clear I'm not saying trump is the cause, just the trump admin is when it started. 

huawei stuff started before trump?

22 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Yes, the US used Special 301 actions on China by declaring them a "Priority Foreign Country" back in 1991.  This lead China to agree to a bilateral IPR agreement which in turn changed legislation, of course, not much change in enforement by China. Then, in 1994, the US did so again to try to force China to enforce IP laws along with threatening trade sactions.

Older document, but has a bit of the history between the two and the disputes on IP laws:  https://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2190&context=ilj

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 minutes ago, pas008 said:

as far as I'm aware we've always seen them as a  security problem and believed the chinese were spying, but no action 

image.thumb.png.53d2ddd4665049138baf789f83c84ad2.png

muh specs 

All parts black

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Even though it is highly unlikely that Trump himself is involved, he's not doing anything to counteract it nor do the various organizations need to hinder themselves for the sake of the administration.

Was hearing on the BBC News that the FBI investigation had been ongoing for at least 5 years, and found misconduct from at least 10 years ago.

9 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

as far as I'm aware we've always seen them as a  security problem and believed the chinese were spying, but no action 

image.thumb.png.53d2ddd4665049138baf789f83c84ad2.png

looks to be the start of actions to me by getting other countries onboard and removing their products

29 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

This definitely has nothing to do with Trump. There's a push in the industry for this. He's also not even anti spying, outside of the campaign trail complaining about being wire tapped by Obama.

this is just US doing US things. nothing have honestly changed that much. 

*looks around for cleaning admins and the approaching locksmith

1 minute ago, pas008 said:

looks to be the start of actions to me by getting other countries onboard and removing their products

Soo.... Huawei is going to at least somewhat die because of "No producto here, Hunni"

✨FNIGE✨

17 minutes ago, pas008 said:

Not the actual action being taken against them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Not the actual action being taken against them.

raising awareness and getting others on board is actions

actually the first actions along with internal testing

Okay hopefully this thread doesn't get a lock but wow, Huawei is dumb. They make good products but wow, they are dumb. I was looking at some of their phones the other day because I'm a teenager that doesn't care about security (@ facebooks vpn app that I missed :( ) I guess they won't have me buying anymore because this is just "tech plagiarism".

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(