FBI Conducted a Sting Operation on Huawei at CES

danieltien
Message added by W-L

Just as a reminder that political debates aren't allowed and may lead to to sudden removal of posts. 

Spoiler

No trolling or flame-bait.

• This includes topics such as AMD vs NVIDIA, "company X sucks", and political or religious debates.

3 minutes ago, pas008 said:

raising awareness and getting others on board is actions

Neither of those really happened prior current administration.

6 minutes ago, pas008 said:

actually the first actions along with internal testing

And prior administrations did nothing.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Why are we trying to argue who gets credit for this? If anyone gets credit it would be the ones who worked long and hard on this case. 

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

lol google

obama and huawei

you should know by now things take time when it comes to politics lol

1 minute ago, pas008 said:

lol google

obama and huawei

im pretty sure that was all about the NSA spying on them. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

im pretty sure that was all about the NSA spying on them. 

oh thats not actions

then how did they get to this point

2 minutes ago, pas008 said:

Mundane things take time.

Issues of national security do not take as long as you suggest, unless an administration is either incompetent or malicious.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Mundane things take time.

Issues of national security do not take as long as you suggest, unless an administration is either incompetent or malicious.

you need proof/evidence/etc before you can start doing things and that doesnt come easy considering they arent going to easily hand that over just like any other investigation

1 minute ago, pas008 said:

oh thats not actions

then how did they get to this point

my original message was about bans and arrests of people connected to the company like the CFO idk actions like that. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

my original message was about bans and arrests of people connected to the company like the CFO idk actions like that. 

read above

Fuck this, I'm done.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

11 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Why are we trying to argue who gets credit for this? If anyone gets credit it would be the ones who worked long and hard on this case. 

No clue, especially considering this ain't the first time Huawei gotten themselves in a pickle.

Just for a bit of a point:

Capture1.PNG.059fc0788fc9c6d0859537694b66f50a.PNG

Oh, look, Motorola was going after them.  Looks a bit farther back, heck, Cisco was going after them with a lawsuit back in 2003.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

13 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Oh, look, Motorola was going after them.  Looks a bit farther back, heck, Cisco was going after them with a lawsuit back in 2003.

Motorola and Cisco =/=US government.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Cisco were caught with an NSA backdoor in their routers several times,

Irrelevant to the conversation.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Iterestingly this has nothing to do with the spying allegations...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Chinese just can't help themselves... they just have to steal others work/tech/products.

I bet that's somewhere in the little red book! /s

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

3 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

The Trump administration was also working to reverse the ZTE ban and had an agreed settlement but that was blocked Senate. July 2018 the ban on ZTE was lifted. No one is actually as anti-China as made out to be, or at least realizes trade with them is still vitally important and not a bridge so easily burnt.

Investigations of Huawei and ZTE have been going on for a long time, likely even before the Obama administration. Like with a lot of things it comes down to  appearance/perception, Huawei is now deemed interesting and topical so is getting more media attention than before so it's hard to tell if there is more action or simply more reporting on action.

I own a mate 10 pro and this is probably my last Huawei phone. In the new EMUI 9 update several of my pictures seem to have been corrupted and the locked boot loader makes it bad for the developer scene, although I already got a code before they shut down their website but it's almost useless with barely any stuff I can do.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

The Trump administration was also working to reverse the ZTE ban and had an agreed settlement but that was blocked Senate. July 2018 the ban on ZTE was lifted. No one is actually as anti-China as made out to be, or at least realizes trade with them is still vitally important and not a bridge so easily burnt.

Investigations of Huawei and ZTE have been going on for a long time, likely even before the Obama administration. Like with a lot of things it comes down to  appearance/perception, Huawei is now deemed interesting and topical so is getting more media attention than before so it's hard to tell if there is more action or simply more reporting on action.

Huawei also really screwed up. Security Services always end up acting at least a little like a protection racket for a company. "Hey, nice business license you got there. Shame if anything happened to it.". The smart foreign companies are always cognizant of this reality and adjust accordingly. Corning is a big company. They can make a few calls and Huawei gave an easy opening. Really stupid on their part.

7 hours ago, aezakmi said:

Huawei: *sells phones that are better than the iphone*

USA:

tenor.gif

Where is this gif from?

8 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Is it me or are the past couple years (trump admin) the first time where we're calling china out for doing what china does- IP theft? 

No, US government has tried, usually in vain, to curb Chinese IP theft since the first George Bush was in office. Clinton in particular was quite vocal about the issue - he even threatened the current route of slapping tariffs on everything. He was moderately successful in that he was able to get the Chinese government to raid and shut down quite a lot of pirated good factories. 

i lived in China when I was a kid and it was always super easy to get knock off goods (in 2003-2004) but having gone back a few times in recent years, it’s clear a crackdown has been made on outright fake goods.

The overall issue of IP theft is of course still very present (though on the decline and has been since before trump - China will copy until it understands the technology and then do its own thing). 

The topic of Huawei is less an IP theft issue and closer to straight industrial espionage - reverse engineering products sent to you - though it doesn’t cleanly first into either category.

9 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Calling it now, this thread will be locked by the end of the day with the way you guys are carrying on xD

No no, it would be honor cutting sponsorship at this speed. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 hours ago, Dredgy said:

The overall issue of IP theft is of course still very present

This is very true, I have first hand experience of larger companies reverse engineering competitors products,  China doesn't really steal IP any more than the rest of the world, they just have the ability to make it really cheap in house and have enough officials turn a blind eye to it that complete ripoffs are available.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I worked in manufacturing for years. I can say from experience that if you're a big company making a tech product in China - you KNOW they are stealing your IP as fast as the can. I've seen advanced equipment knock-offs show up in Chinese markets within a year of a legit product launch. That is, you have them make your new product and within a year it's been cloned and available on the Chinese market. The Chinese Mainland way is is completely ironic because questioning their honesty is a great dishonor to them. But at the same time, they're blatantly dishonest - and hustling you as cultural rule (it's like sport to them). The closest comparison is it's like cheating on a marriage is standard practice as long as long as it's one sided and you're never called out on it by your partner. She knows...but she's supposed to smile and pretend it's not happening...and that makes for a happy marriage.  

Edited by BlueThumb
Typos...my hands are getting old

13 minutes ago, BlueThumb said:

I worked in manufacturing for years. I can say from experience that if you're a big company making a tech product in China - you KNOW they are stealing your IP as fast as the can. I've seen advanced equipment knock-offs show up in Chinese markets within a year of a legit product launch. That is, you have them make your new product and within a year it's been cloned and available on the Chinese market. The Chinese Mainland way is is completely ironic because questioning their honesty is a great dishonor to them. But at the same time, they're blatantly dishonest - and hustling you as cultural rule (it's like sport to them). The closest comparison is it's like cheating on a marriage is standard practice as long as long as it's one sided and you're never called out on it by your partner. She knows...but she's supposed to smile and pretend it's not happening...and that makes for a happy marriage.  

It is their culture and funnily enough it applies to their marriages too. Well if the man is wealthy enough to support other women.