Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rcmaehl

[UPDATED] Stop Dave. I'm afraid. - Microsoft tests soft blocking Firefox and Chrome Installs

Just now, LordOTaco said:

if I recall correctly there was a big case about something similar in regards to Netscape and MS going at each other way back. 

think there was 2010ish one too

not sure to lazy to look up

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Its a few extra clicks I dont see as an issue. Most non-tech savy people that people wont even notice because they couldnt care less about the browser they are using let alone install a different one and just an extra click away on install anyway.  

I get that these are sneaky tactics but enough to warrant suing for anti-competition? Come on...

Yes, it may well warrant using for anti-competitive practices.

The fact that non-tech savvy people don't care is besides the point. There are a LOT of people who I wouldn't call "tech savvy", but also prefer to use Chrome. These are the people who will be most impacted by this. Some of them might just "give up" on switching because they click the "keep using Edge" button by mistake and get frustrated as to why it's not switching easily and quickly, for example.

Just because it's a fairly minor thing does not mean it's okay. Sneaky tactics need to be confronted immediately, because if they get away with this, it will encourage them to do worse things in the future.

For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, pas008 said:

You mean this from Microsoft?

Image result for microsoft europe default browser

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME
NotCPUCores Dev | Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX480 8GB OC, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

4 minutes ago, pas008 said:

1998-2001 here ya go

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft_Corp.

"Your next line is..."

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1800X | GPU:  Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 | RAM:  32GB G Skill Flare X DDR4-2400 | PSU: EVGA 1000W GQ 80+Gold | Motherboard: Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5| Cooler:  Noctua NH-D15 |Case:  NZXT Noctis 450 | Storage: 512GB Samsung SSD + 4TB Western Digital 7200RPM|

Edge is an ok browser but still not good enough to replace a WebKit based browser such as Chrome (Windows & Mac) and Safari (Mac only as Windows Version is ... shit). 

This is why I've decided to switch to MacOS and stay there as Microsoft are just wrecking everything.

Main Machine:  27inch iMac 5k Retina (Mid 2017), Core i5-7600, 1TB Fusion Drive, 40GB DDR4-2400MHz, Radeon Pro 570 4GB, MacOS Mojave

Network Gear: Dell PowerEdge T110, TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, Sky Router, Asus Wireless Access Point.

Mobile Machine:  13inch MacBook Air (2018 Retina), Core i5-8210Y, 128GB SDD, 8GB RAM, Mac OS Mojave

Other Tech: iPhone XS Max, Series 4 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods, PS4, Nintendo Switch,PS3, Xbox 360, 20inch iMac G4, 30inch Apple HD Cinema Display

So the big question, is what would Edge needs to have as feature or improvement that will make you switch to Edge?

Does it need to be faster than Chrome? If so, by how much?

What feature you want? (for me, it is right-click on an image, and pick "View image", even if the image is a URL link. I think, and Media panel), and the Privacy it offers

1 hour ago, LordOTaco said:

Firefox is the superior browser waifu.  This means war.

The Holy Browser Wars have begun, the main belligerents are Microsoft and Mozilla.

The armed conflict began when Microsoft start prompting users against installing Firefox and Chrome.

Mozilla's forces are supported by Google's.

a Moo Floof will solve all the world’s problems, buy a moo floof today.

:x@Dan Castellaneta x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Tyler :x 89ever :x
Volume / Normalized  100% / 89% (content loudness 1.0dB)

41 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

You mean this from Microsoft?

Image result for microsoft europe default browser

Wow, this news is surprising, considering Microsoft got a huge fine from the EU back in the day because of bundling IE with Windows (I guess Windows XP at the time). This was a huge monopoly lawsuit brought by the EU.

They were forced to put a browser options screen into Windows (in the EU at least), showing you alternatives to IE.

EDIT: The one you are showing right here, exactly.

Very surprising they would do this, this opens them right back up to antitrust lawsuits.

Also: I laughed at the title of this thread. Pretty good. I love 2001 a space odyssee xD

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

So the big question, is what would Edge needs to have as feature or improvement that will make you switch to Edge?

What feature you want? (for me, it is right-click on an image, and pick "View image", even if the image is a URL link. I think, and Media panel)

Nothing could make me switch from Firefox, to ANY other browser.

Mozilla is the only company that is pro-consumer and pro-privacy and open internet. All the others are big corporate monopolies. That is why I choose Firefox. Also it is fast (now with Quantum engine).

2 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Nothing could make me switch from Firefox, to ANY other browser.

Mozilla is the only company that is pro-consumer and pro-privacy and open internet. All the others are big corporate monopolies. That is why I choose Firefox. Also it is fast (now with Quantum engine).

Firefox was ruined for me when they nuked 90% of their add-ons/extensions with an update. I can no longer modify the appearance of firefox in the way that I want.

NotCPUCores Dev | Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 32GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX480 8GB OC, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

13 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Firefox was ruined for me when they nuked 90% of their add-ons/extensions with an update. I can no longer modify the appearance of firefox in the way that I want.

I saw many people talking about this. When I looked into it I discovered the Firefox had baked in all the features they were saying their disabled extensions were used for.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Just now, keskparane said:

I saw many people talking about this. When I looked into it I discovered the Firefox had baked in all the features they were saying their disabled extensions were used for.

Still can't automatically hide the URL bar within Firefox. :(

A    n   t    i    t    r    u    s    t

n

t

i

t

r

u

s

t

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

I guarantee you this change wont make it to anywhere in Europe, MS have been in deep shit twice with European courts over trying to force IE onto people and they've had a hefty fine for it once as well.

It go so bad the EU forced them to add a new prompt to Vista & 7 for anyone in Europe telling them that while IE is installed by default there are other browsers available and letting them choose to install another one from a list of popular browsers.

Pushing this into Europe is plain stupid for MS, if they do they'll be back in court so quickly.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Asus Rog Strix Vega 64 8GB OC Edition | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Server:-

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B running OMV Arrakis and an 8TB Seagate USB 3.0 external HDD

Microsoft will not be satisfied untill they become apple or worse, someone who controls 100% percent of the software you use, MS Edge, MS office no other office app allowed, and so on.

2 hours ago, KendoSapion said:

Edge no longer has the great battery it started with.

Outdated already this is before Firefox Quantum.

Workstation Rig:
CPU:  Intel Core i9 9900K @5.0ghz  |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Dark Rock 4 |~|  MOBO: Asus Z390M ROG Maximus XI GENE |~| RAM: 32gb 3333mhz CL15 G.Skill Trident Z RGB |~| GPU: nVidia TITAN V  |~| PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 80Plus Platinum  |~| Boot: Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2X4TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Iron Wolf + 2X2TB SSD SanDisk Ultra |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Acer Predator X34 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Personal Use Rig:
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900 @4.75ghz |~| Cooling: beQuiet! Shadow Rock Slim |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3400mhzCL15 Crucial Ballistix |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti |~| PSU: beQuiet! Straight Power 11 80Plus Gold  |~|  Boot:  Intel 660p 2TB NVMe |~| Storage: 2x2TB SanDisk SSD Ultra 3D |~| Case: Cooler Master Case Pro 3 |~| Display: Viotek GN34CB 3440x1440p100hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

HTPC / "Console of the house":

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4.45ghz |~| Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212X |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z370M D3H mATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: nVidia Founders Edition GTX 1080 Ti |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.
49 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

What feature you want? (for me, it is right-click on an image, and pick "View image", even if the image is a URL link. I think, and Media panel), and the Privacy it offers

Stability, I used to use edge a year or so ago but switched back to chrome due to edge having to reload web-pages a lot. NFL website and other sites that hosted videos that weren't major video platforms were the most common to crash.

The speed for me was in the range that was acceptable, and the UI is good and stays out of the way.

I would use FF but the UI just drives me nuts. It feels like it takes up more screen space and is distracting.

2 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Source:

Verge

Ghacks

TL;DR:

Microsoft is testing adding additional prompts to try to prevent users from switching to alternative browsers.

Media:

edge firefox chrome blocks installation

Quotes/Excerpts:

My Thoughts:

Darn it Microsoft. I will not use Edge. You can make Anime versions of your browsers, Give me a ton of additional prompts, but I just don't like it. With Linux getting some major support from Steam, I may eventually swap back over to Linux with all this non-sense.

The annoying thing is that there is a legit reason to use Edge (other than downloading another browser); Edge is the only browser where you can watch Netflix above 720p. Doesn't mean they should do a Apple a force a change on us [cough] U2 album [cough]

2 minutes ago, Tcrumpen said:

The annoying thing is that there is a legit reason to use Edge (other than downloading another browser); Edge is the only browser where you can watch Netflix above 720p. Doesn't mean they should do a Apple a force a change on us [cough] U2 album [cough]

Only really an issue on PC. Chromecasts and mobile devices don't have this issue.

3 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Only really an issue on PC. Chromecasts and mobile devices don't have this issue.

That is true, but if you're on a mobile device (Aka something a mobile for example) you're not using Windows

34 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

What feature you want? (for me, it is right-click on an image, and pick "View image", even if the image is a URL link. I think, and Media panel)

I would want three things from Edge:

1. Extension/Add-on support comparable to FF and Chrome (possibly by making it compatible with WebKit add-ons)

2. Cleaned up improved UI

3. Comparable features to the other big ones

As it is now, I don't think Edge is comparable feature wise.

For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *