[UPDATED] Stop Dave. I'm afraid. - Microsoft tests soft blocking Firefox and Chrome Installs

rcmaehl
1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

F you microsoft.

If you keep annoying people more and more, they will eventually have enough of it and will be prepared to accept bigger changes just to get rid of it.

Don't underestimate how far people want to go just to get rid of a small annoyance or something like that.

Well people were annoyed like I have never seen before when Vista was released and there was a new prompt when installing a program. People's heads were exploding. Didnt hurt windows.

This is a one time prompt

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

A    n   t    i    t    r    u    s    t

n

t

i

t

r

u

s

t

Except literally no one will switch to Edge so Microshill can get away with this.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

When you only have 1% of the browser market but are desperate to change this without ever considering that maybe you should try to make your browser stand out in other ways

(and also actually be good and not feel so overly clunky and bogged down with slow animations)

(and also that people don't like this shit)

3 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Firefox was ruined for me when they nuked 90% of their add-ons/extensions with an update. I can no longer modify the appearance of firefox in the way that I want.

It works with Ublock Origin, which is the only adblocker I use / need. What were you using that isn't supported anymore if I may ask?

And honestly since version 58 or so (Quantum) it is so insanely fast, I love it. I also like their Firefox Sync feature, which keeps my bookmarks etc. synced across all my computers and workstations. I also like the way they implement private tabs, and sandbox mode for Facebook, etc.

To be honest, I haven't ever used Chrome or even IE. I've been a loyal Firefox user for over 10+ years, never had felt the need to switch, even though I knew Chrome used to be faster.

2 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

This has "Anti-Trust" lawsuit written all over it.

Microsoft was in court for exactly this two decades ago. Clearly they've forgotten.

5 hours ago, KendoSapion said:

Although it doesn't work with us I'd be pretty sure it works with their target audience, the non-techy people. 

nah they'll just click everything trying to install chrome and install 40 viruses instead

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

14 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

ahahah, just moved completely to linux as linus would say nlm microsoft 

Firefox still gets these pop-ups when using Google services.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

you're right ;( 

I do not notice any difference in battery life between edge and firefox, but what i do notice is heavy lagging of edge. So NO to microsoft, fix your shit and eventually I will use it, but not this way. Sadly I need windows for scientific workloads, but if I wouldn't have that I would be on linux already

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

And you completely sidestepped very reasonable comments about how it's just not the same fucking thing to do it while browsing on a product that's already installed vs blocking an OS action to install something else until you go through it's pop up.

This is not difficult for even someone as you to understand: Microsoft it's doing these things on the OS level not during regular usage. Please abandon this extremely stupid whataboutery and adopt one that's at least within the same realm of comparison (Hint: You can probably find similar actions on Android)

-------

Current Rig

-------

Antitrust lawsuit in 3... 2... 1...

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

-- Merging --

In the coming up version of Windows 10 coming this October, the OS will come a variety of features and fixes as usual. However, one feature that is being implemented is "App Recommendation", a feature found in the Settings > Apps > Apps & Features, and enabled by default:

Capture.PNG.490674ce00989c350ce4f981fcdf076e.PNG

This will result, in a pop-up that will show when a user installs (and only installs) Firefox or Chrome web browser suggesting to use Edge web browser instead:

edge-warning-1809.jpg?itok=AXuVwHph&key=

The battle of pop-ups to switch to a service provider clearly is ongoing with Google showing pop-ups to use its Chrome web browser, and Microsoft pushing pop-ups on its site, and soon Windows 10 to use Edge. Microsoft previously attempted to show different pop-ups in Windows 10 to push Edge, but has backtracked them after backlash.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/12/17850146/microsoft-windows-10-chrome-firefox-warning

If you want to think about it positively:

1. You can turn it off (if it wasn't already), and the option seems to sync with your MS profile and should not pop-up on your next re-install (if you use a MS linked account)
  2. It shows up once, when you install Chrome or Firefox, and not each time you start the web browser, like website does when you visit them (although Microosft does it for its services)

While Edge web browser has indeed came a long way since its released, with a lot of hyped squashed by a bad first impression as Microsoft was focusing in rushing its released, it is today a far more competent web browser than before, and continue to be the case with each version of Windows 10, so far. That said, while it might be a fine choice for many people, and probably deliver a better experience based on the device they are on, your "average user" tend to not try something new to what was introduced to them, or suggested, once in the past, by someone. No comparison and opinion is made, is my point. The same reality applies to Opera which could never get off the grounds, and Firefox which can't seem to get any growth, despite, both, having advantages overs Chrome.

However, I think Microsoft should continue its focus further on Edge instead of doing this. I think if Microsoft can target Edge to power users (us), this will help push Edge as we, may, recommend it to people to use, or say it is a fine, instead of pushing Chrome or Firefox.

Based on StatCounter:

• Edge is floating at 4.24%, can't seem to pass the 5% mark
  • Firefox is at: 10.97%
  • Chrome is at: 67.68%
  • IE decrease slowly, but is at: 7.02%
  • Safari is at: 5.13%
  • And the rest is split with other browsers

http://gs.statcounter.com/browser-market-share/desktop/worldwide

What is your opinion on this? What will make you move to Edge? When Edge was released, stability and websites support was the most requested thing, this has been massively improved. Then it was Extensions, now Edge supports it, and has a nice and growing list of extensions. Then it was no mobile phone support to sync bookmarks and passwords and such. Today, Edge is available on iOS and Android devices, Edge has been downloaded from the Google Play Store over 5 million times so far, with a review score of 4.4/5, and includes passing links from Phone to PC feature.

Edge is still just a heavily modified version of IE (I keep on seeing the same damn problems and bugs). Even after the update all it will be good for is downloading a non Microsoft web browser.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Wow... even aside from the obvious reasons that this is bad and obnoxious, it's not even truthful.  You can't make a statement like that sans asterisks unless it's unequivocally true across all possible situations which it most certainly is not.  On that alone they could be fined for false advertising.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I tried switching to edge, but the absolutely moronic way it deals with add-ons through the microsoft store and the lack of specific add-ons in general makes me stick with trusty 'ole firefox.

Having a Surface Book I honestly wanna switch to edge considering the much better touch support, alas :/

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

21 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

And you completely sidestepped very reasonable comments about how it's just not the same fucking thing to do it while browsing on a product that's already installed vs blocking an OS action to install something else until you go through it's pop up.

This is not difficult for even someone as you to understand: Microsoft it's doing these things on the OS level not during regular usage. Please abandon this extremely stupid whataboutery and adopt one that's at least within the same realm of comparison (Hint: You can probably find similar actions on Android)

I was referring to the popup war that is going on. You always get annoying popups. This one is at least once, not everytime like sites do (with the "million" cookies each site drop, tracking the "switch to my web browser" is not one that can be made). Don't get me wrong, I don't like what MS is doing. But there is no escape. I expect Google to do the same on Android, if Chrome shares where dropping for them.

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I was referring to the popup war that is going on. You always get annoying popups. This one is at least once, not everytime like sites do (with the "million" cookies each site drop, tracking the "switch to my web browser" is not one that can be made). Don't get me wrong, I don't like what MS is doing. But there is no escape. I expect Google to do the same on Android, if Chrome shares where dropping for them.

I think there is an escape.  If a browser (or anything really) starts resorting to these tactics, start dropping it harder.  They'll turn around or die trying.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

What's hilarious here is that Edge really is a huge improvement on MSIE, and it's actually not terrible as browsers go. The problem for MS is that they're going to piss so many people off with the incessant "USE EDGE!" nagware that no one will ever give it a chance.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

42 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wow... even aside from the obvious reasons that this is bad and obnoxious, it's not even truthful.  You can't make a statement like that sans asterisks unless it's unequivocally true across all possible situations which it most certainly is not.  On that alone they could be fined for false advertising.

It is true from their perspective,  Edge is the only browser Microsoft support as being all those things. 

A sys admin I was complaining to the other day (couldn't get my network to network properly) was saying half the reason the new windows 10 is the way it is (interface, features and controls etc) is to prevent people from fiddling.  They have an inordinate amount of calls on their support lines from people who are playing with features and breaking their system or using 3rd party software and expect MS to fix it.   As much as people don't like it it's going to be like loot boxes and DLC and shit like that, until people take control of themselves it isn't going away.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Lol, MS wants you to use Edge...I wonder why? I couldn’t possibly be the massive amounts of easily linkable telemetry that Windows 10 sends to Microsoft all the time and they want even more. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It is true from their perspective,  Edge is the only browser Microsoft support as being all those things. 

A sys admin I was complaining to the other day (couldn't get my network to network properly) was saying half the reason the new windows 10 is the way it is (interface, features and controls etc) is to prevent people from fiddling.  They have an inordinate amount of calls on their support lines from people who are playing with features and breaking their system or using 3rd party software and expect MS to fix it.   As much as people don't like it it's going to be like loot boxes and DLC and shit like that, until people take control of themselves it isn't going away.

This is the quote from the photo on OP:

image.png.b93689c8ccff7618b606f32bde4e71ed.png

It's objectively untrue.  I know they are saying "safer" because it was found to block more phishing pages or something like that, but Edge is routinely beaten by Chrome and other browsers in hacking contests, so there goes the "safer" claim.  As for faster, look no farther than YouTube and you'll see that Chrome beats it substantially.  Granted that's due to borderline monopolistic behaviour by Google but that's besides the point.

If they are going to say safer and faster, they have to qualify that with which tests it's true for, or it's lying, plain and simple.

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

This is the kind of shit they should be sued over. It should be completely unacceptable behavior from a legal and ethical standpoint. 

Fuck off Microsoft. 

Well, Microsoft is a criminal organization that makes obscene amounts of money off of stealing people's data, so practices that might violate anti-trust and deceptive marketing laws wouldn't be surprising coming from Microsoft.

I wonder if Google and other browser publishers might seek legal action against Microsoft for this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competition_law

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This is the quote from the photo on OP:

image.png.b93689c8ccff7618b606f32bde4e71ed.png

It's objectively untrue.  I know they are saying "safer" because it was found to block more phishing pages or something like that, but Edge is routinely beaten by Chrome and other browsers in hacking contests, so there goes the "safer" claim.  As for faster, look no farther than YouTube and you'll see that Chrome beats it substantially.  Granted that's due to borderline monopolistic behaviour by Google but that's besides the point.

If they are going to say safer and faster, they have to qualify that with which tests it's true for, or it's lying, plain and simple.

Lies are Microsoft's native tongue. The way to tell if Microsoft is lying is to see if its corporate (including digital) lips are moving.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987