EA is turning Star Wars Battlefront II into a real video game

TimeOmnivore

EA's blog post

EA has announced some upcoming changes to Star Wars Battlefront II's progression system, releasing March 21st, turning it from a gambling simulator into an actual video game.

With this update, progression is now linear. Star Cards, or any other item impacting gameplay, will only be earned through gameplay and will not be available for purchase. Instead, you’ll earn experience points for the classes, hero characters, and ships that you choose to play in multiplayer. If you earn enough experience points to gain a level for that unit, you'll receive one Skill Point that can be used to unlock or upgrade the eligible Star Card you'd like to equip.

You'll keep everything you’ve already earned and unlocked.

Crates no longer include Star Cards and cannot be purchased. Crates are earned by logging in daily, completing Milestones, and through timed challenges. Inside of these crates, you'll find Credits or cosmetic items, such as emotes or victory poses, but nothing that impacts gameplay.

Starting in April, you’ll be able to get appearances directly through in-game Credits or Crystals. The first new appearances are coming soon, meaning you'll be able to grab new looks for your heroes and troopers directly by using either Credits (earned in-game) or Crystals (available to purchase in-game and through first-party stores).

Credit where credit is due, EA, you are actually turning your gambling sim into a game where you earn progression naturally(hopefully). I'm legitimately impressed and applaud this move. Hopefully, this is a sign that these publishers are actually listening to their communities and are realizing that creating actual games is much more preferable than glorified slot machines.

EDIT: While this may be a case of "too little, too late" for this game, I hope this is will be an indication that they at least won't fuck up the next one as badly. It would also be nice to have the cosmetics also only unlockable in-game (as opposed to microtransactions), but that's probably hoping for too much at this point, especially from EA.

1 minute ago, TimeOmnivore said:

glorified slot machines

this is why I stopped playing modern video games

I hate the "pay money and get nothing" mentality of how modern games are marketed and distributed.

Eh, I'd wager that they did this because we finally spoke up and told EA we're done with their shit.

Don't be surprised if they try it again, or Activision/Ubi

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

So, now it's just Battlefield with lasers.

Not much of an improvement.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

As good as this news is, EA is still not getting a peny of my money. They have allot more than battlefront 2 to make up for.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

This is great. I still probably won't buy it because of other problems I have with the game (you guys tout single player but no conquest mode?) but at least it removes the 'no way in hell will I ever support this' impediment.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

55 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Disney will probably end license with EA and work with other publishers like Activision, to make a better looking and running game that can host more then 40 concurrent players on larger maps with vehicles. And not have absurd monetization or day 1 DLC schemes despite restrictive creative freedom.

I wouldn't hold out on Activision. Still have to wait to see how this monetizing algorithm for manipulation players for micro transactions in multiplayer match making goes...

Now that it's not pay to win I'm considering getting it, especially if it's on sale. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

You'll keep everything you’ve already earned and unlocked.

So the people who paid to win will STILL win, and now more CONSISTENTLY win against people who might be buying the game now.

Brilliant.

To be clear I am not advocating Pay to Win, it's just incredibly frustrating that the people who took a stand against the shit are still getting fucked if they buy the game.

I'm going to stay skeptical. they still severely damaged the reputation of the game and i dont think this is going to save it

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

34 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Now that it's not pay to win I'm considering getting it, especially if it's on sale. 

everyone should get it now to be honest. show them this is what we want, with our dolla bills.

that way future games get made right.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

10 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

So the people who paid to win will STILL win, and now more CONSISTENTLY win against people who might be buying the game now.

Brilliant.

To be clear I am not advocating Pay to Win, it's just incredibly frustrating that the people who took a stand against the shit are still getting fucked if they buy the game.

what you want them to do? Take away things from people? Can't really do that... unless you refund them.

and we know people dont simply let go of their monies that easily.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

it's just incredibly frustrating that the people who took a stand against the shit are still getting fucked if they buy the game.

So what's the solution then? Let everyone have everything unlocked and have no progression?

It's a well accepted fact that beginning to play ANY game months after it's release means you'll be facing more experienced players with superior load outs. 

And this game will not be an exception to that.

Keep in mind that the in game micro transactions were only available for a week at most (maybe less I can't remember), so the chances that every person bought everything during that time period are basically zero. This means the majority of people still playing the game nowadays are people who got their gear by playing the game.

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Disney will probably end license with EA and work with other publishers like Activision, to make a better looking and running game that can host more then 40 concurrent players on larger maps with vehicles. And not have absurd monetization or day 1 DLC schemes despite restrictive creative freedom.

The game uses the dices engine which is way better than anything Activision is using tbh. I am not a big fan of EA but dice is a good company and has made some great engines and games. To insinuate that DICE's engine is crappy and poorly optimized is such a stretch from the truth. It is probably one of the best looking and optimized engines out their so idk what you are talking about. 

2 hours ago, emosun said:

this is why I stopped playing modern video games

I also quit. I considered playing older RTS games such as C&C (1995) again a bit

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

The game uses the dices engine which is way better than anything Activision is using tbh. I am not a big fan of EA but dice is a good company and has made some great engines and games. To insinuate that DICE's engine is crappy and poorly optimized is such a stretch from the truth. It is probably one of the best looking and optimized engines out their so idk what you are talking about. 

The Dice engine is good,though they could have at least re-skinned Battlefield1 so we could have 64 player conquest. How do we know Disney aren't the greedy ones? They already kinda ruined the SW movies,imo.

37 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

Brilliant.

So are they just supposed to take away content that people already paid for? What they should do now is lower the amount of p2w or grinding it takes to progress.

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

So, now it's just Battlefield with lasers.

Not much of an improvement.

That's DICE for ya. only game they can make well enough is Battlefield. Everything else is just a copy lol.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

The Dice engine is good,though they could have at least re-skinned Battlefield1 so we could have 64 player conquest. How do we know Disney aren't the greedy ones? They already kinda ruined the SW movies,imo.

So are they just supposed to take away content that people already paid for? What they should do now is lower the amount of p2w or grinding it takes to progress.

Is it confirmed that the 42 player matches was an engine limitation and not just a decision made by EA or dice?