Speed waits for no-one; PCIe 6 announced

BachChain

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/pci-sig-pcie-6.0-256gbps-interface,39676.html

Despite PCIe gen 4 just now reaching mainstream and PCIe gen 5 being finalized only a few months ago, the PCI-SIG has announced they have begun working on gen 6.

The new PCIe 6.0 interface double the Gigatransfer rate to 64 GT/s, which doubles effective bandwidth over PCIe 5.0 to 256 GB/s of throughput and retains the same maximum of 16 lanes. 

The new PCIe 6.0 interface switches to PAM4 encoding from the NRZ 128b/130b encoding scheme used for PCIe 3.0, 4.0, and 5.0. The PAM4 encoding scheme is widely used in networking, so it is a known quantity that should be relatively easy to deploy. PAM4 uses forward error correction (FEC) to help boost transfer rates, and PCI-SIG also points to other unspecified mechanisms that will improve bandwidth efficiency. 

The faster release of the PCIe 5.0 interface means PCI-SIG met its two-year goal of developing a newer revision of the spec, which is a welcome change after the seven-year wait for PCIe 4.0. The committee hopes to meet the same two-year cadence for the PCIe 6.0 interface and publish the specification in full in 2021, and if history holds true, we'll see devices arrive in 2022.

As we've seen with all versions of the PCIe specification, PCIe 6.0 is backward compatible with the existing PCIe interfaces.

If x570 is anything to go on, then chipsets will soon need a nh-d15

7 minutes ago, BachChain said:

chipsets will soon need a nh-d15

Nah, triple rad setup. Quad 140's and Gentle Typhoons, minimum.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Well soon motherboard makers will give up on Pci-e 4.0 and head to 6 LOL 

8 minutes ago, rawrdaysgoby said:

Well soon motherboard makers will give up on Pci-e 4.0 and head to 6 LOL 

Lol ya, 5 will never even be mainstream.

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

5 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

how many times can they just keep doubling it? if its backwards compatible its probs still the same number of pins, something has to give right?

PCIe 6 will require optical pathways or for the tracers to be 2cm from the chipset/CPU ?

RAM on a fucking accelerator card here we come

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

But like Bluetooth, where we had 2.0 for a while, and then 3.0 and 2.0 LE (or whatnot, been a while), then suddenly 4.0 and 5.0 come out.

Time to use those decimal places!

1 minute ago, floofer said:

But like Bluetooth, where we had 2.0 for a while, and then 3.0 and 2.0 LE (or whatnot, been a while), then suddenly 4.0 and 5.0 come out.

Time to use those decimal places! 

It's not nearly as big a mess as USB.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

18 minutes ago, S w a t s o n said:

RAM on a fucking accelerator card here we come

Photonics. 

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Photonics. 

most likely, i just think it would be sick to have a card with a bunch of ddr4 as a sort of cache drive

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

2 hours ago, BachChain said:

64 GT/s

this is terabytes right?

cause to take full advantage of that it's going to be a awhile before anything can output that much...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

21 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

this is terabytes right?

cause to take full advantage of that it's going to be a awhile before anything can output that much...

No, it's giga transfers per second. Ram is actually measured the same way. 3200, 3000, 2933, those are all mega transfers per second.

Unless this was an underhanded joke that I missed. In which case, my bad.

Jesus, I'm still on PCIE 3

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Lol, this reminds me of when Trump said that the development of 5G is too slow for him, he wants 6G now !

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

34 minutes ago, sof006 said:

It's already hard for normal computer enthusiasts to max out 3.0, but the main thing I'm looking forward too is using less lanes for the graphics card and everything. Not using 16 lanes but rather 8 or 4 is going to clear up a lot of PCIe to everything else if Intel and AMD don't fuck us by cutting lanes

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

34 minutes ago, sof006 said:

lol, I'm still on sandy bridge which is pcie2...

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I wonder how well will USB catch up to this.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Yes, I'd like to see the PCIe lanes being able to "split" more... so like, now we have pcie 4, see the NVME drives just use 2x lanes for example which should be the same bandwidth as 4x pcie 3 lanes. And so on... at least then we might be able to use most of the ports on the motherboard without having to sacrifice something.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

17 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Most everyone is.  x570 will be the first desktop boards with PCIe 4.0.

mortal! I am on pcie 2! Bow before your master and king!

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

It is great to see such rapit development of it especially considering it took longer in previous generations. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I wonder if this means we will skip a generation, kinda like how GDDR4 was (mostly) skipped.

21 minutes ago, Sypran said:

I wonder if this means we will skip a generation, kinda like how GDDR4 was (mostly) skipped.

Doubtful. Intel will probably be jumping straight to gen 5 as soon as they can. It's also likely AMD will target it with their next socket/platform change.