RTX 2080 Ti Failing Too Early

Well, I've decided to use and stress my RTX 2080 Ti more from here on, let's see if it fails. I ain't too worried as I've got a 3 year warranty on it, in fact, I'm using the RTX rig right now.....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

On 10/27/2018 at 8:06 AM, VegetableStu said:

oh damn, if it's the VRAM it's not good news for micron (if i remember right) o_o

>Micron

Kek. No wonder they're dying.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Maybe Nvidia has such a monopoly right now that they just decided, Quality control? We don't need no stinking quality control. They rushed these RTX cards to market so as not to leave AMD ANY breathing room, despite the fact they had minimal performance gains over the last gen. They tried to obscure these minimal gains by touting ray tracing, which none of these cards are powerful enough to successfully run in the few games where ray tracing can even be used. And they even had the balls to nearly double the price of their flagship card. So its not surprising many of these cards are defective.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

26 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

To be fair that phone was an amazing phone, easily one of the best phones. They did a shit job on battery design, and it bit them. Note 8 wasnt as attractive to me, and the Note 9 is a MUCH better phone. Double the storage, More battery, more features. But i got the Note 9 for 800$ so theres that.

I wouldnt have pre-ordered a $1200 card since i still think 4k gaming is not worth bothering with. Im using a 980ti, and im interested in getting a 1080ti for around 400-450. Buying new is great for warranty stuff, but the 2080ti is only about 10-25% better, thats not worth 2-3x the price to me.

Its a shame the Note 9 has that idiotic curved screen that distorts the image at the margins and basically makes it impossible to put a screen protector on, and makes cases look and feel awkward. The sooner Samsung drops this gimmick the better. The fact NO ONE else is copying this curved screen means most people agree its dumb.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

3 minutes ago, maizenblue said:

Its a shame the Note 9 has that idiotic curved screen that distorts the image at the margins and basically makes it impossible to put a screen protector on, and makes cases look and feel awkward. The sooner Samsung drops this gimmick the better. The fact NO ONE else is copying this curved screen means most people agree its dumb.

Eh i dont mind it at all. I dont use screen protectors because they are a bitch to put on. But i also take care of my phone and nothing else goes in that pocket. My note 4 lasted a long time and only reason i upgraded was because it was starting to have issues with certain apps and kept crashing. 

I'm at the point where I'm planning a new build. Threads like this seem like a cautionary tale to remind myself at least that perhaps the RTX series may not be the way to go, instead grab a 1080ti. The performance is comparable and hopefully prices will drop.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz w/ Corsair H100i RGB Platinum
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 32GB (8GB x 4) DDR3 1866MHz
MSI z97 Gaming 5 motherboard
MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G

~ MSI AfterBurner 4.6.1 OC settings ~
- Core Clock +125MHz curve
- Memory Clock +700MHz
-> In Game: GPU clock 2075 MHz - Mem clock 5702 MHz @ 1075mV

EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B 80+ Bronze 750W PSU

Samsung 860 EVO MZ-76E500 500GB - OS *NEW*
Western Digital Gold WD4003FRYZ 4TB 256MB Cache - Games *NEW*
Western Digital Blue WD40EZRZ 4TB 64Mb Cache - File Storage
Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB 64MB Cache - File Storage
Western Digital Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 16MB Cache - Downloads
Seagate ST500DM002 500GB 16MB Cache - Misc

ASUS VG278Q 27" 144Hz 1Ms G-Sync Compatible- Primary Monitor *NEW*
Samsung BX2450L 24" 60Hz 2Ms

~She may be starting to show her age but she is now complete~

4 minutes ago, JXS said:

instead grab a 1080ti. The performance is comparable and hopefully prices will drop.

What? Comparable to the RTX 2080 Ti? No I don't think so, it (the GTX1080 Ti) is a fair bit behind.......but it is a safer bet in light of recent development.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Well my rtx 2080 ti is still running. Just hope evga doesn't want to remove my warranty due to the ek waterblock I installed.

My rig

Asus maximus z390

I9 9900k @ 5.2 Ghz 24/7 (5.4 Ghz benching) 

Evga RTX 3090 ftx ultra 

32GB Gskill trident z 3866 Mhz

1000 watt evga gold psu

All watercooled

There’s been rising concern over the past few weeks over 2080Ti’s (FE mostly) dying on people, the news just now has started to break from nvidia’s forums and reddit is even picking up on it, has anyone on here having any issues with their cards? Do you think it’s a worthy topic for the WAN show? 

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1078162/geforce-rtx-20-series/rtx-2080ti-massively-die-/

ttps://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-graphics-cards-dying/

Edit: @TetraSky noted, thanks

“Threads have been cropping up on Nvidia’s forumabout dead and dying RTX 2080 Ti cards for weeks now, with almost every thread filled with hundreds of comments highlighting crashes, black screens, blue screen of death issues, artifacts, and cards that fail to work entirely. There are some reports of issues with the 2080, too, but the majority reference problematic 2080 Ti cards.”

Reddit threads with a similar theme have been appearing as well, detailing the RMA process that many users are now going through. Worse still, some users who have been issued a replacement card by Nvidia have then been forced to return that one too, suggesting that in some cases at least, the problem users are facing is not solved by simply giving them a new graphics card. That could hint at some sort of architectural defect.”

“The problems appear to primarily be affecting those with Founders Edition versions of the 2080 Ti, though some users with third-party cards from Gigabyte and Asus have also reported failures and problems with their new GPUs.”

As noted as a primarily FE issue this matter unfortunately hits early adopters the most, though it clearly causes issues and doubts for individuals like me who’d rather opt for the Ti card than go SLI with the 2080/70 or those who decided to stay with older cards so they could save up and get the best of the best for their system.

Depending on how large scale the issue is this could really hurt Nvidia, especially their FE sales, nobody wants to have their flagship card having major issues, though they could fix these issues easily enough with new revisions who knows when they would be released? And what AIB manufacturers would adopt them?

Edited by Wargreymon15
To conform to posting guidelines

it should be, and some things don't even got started yet. tensor and raytrace cores aren't even enabled yet, that could couse even more problems (and heat).

Could be a sign that it was rushed out.
Just like it could simply be a bad batch.

Edit : Also, @Wargreymon15, you might want to edit your post, to add a Quote and add your own opinion on the matter, as per the Tech News posting guidelines.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

On 10/27/2018 at 1:56 AM, mr moose said:

I had a quick read through the reddit thread.  Are we talking an handful of people all with the same problem or is this likely just the usual failure rate?

My first rtx 2080ti was doa and there are quite a few people who have the same issues. Honestly I think the failure is a bit higher than the norm. 

On 10/27/2018 at 12:42 PM, pas008 said:

Is there actually any numbers here?

Is there actual real rma statuses being posted?

I remember this type of thing being said on few ssds to other products few times

I don't know about anyone else on the forum but mine was a dud. Second one worked though. 

1 hour ago, Wargreymon15 said:

There’s been rising concern over the past few weeks over 2080Ti’s (FE mostly) dying on people, the news just now has started to break from nvidia’s forums and reddit is even picking up on it, has anyone on here having any issues with their cards? Do you think it’s a worthy topic for the WAN show? 

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1078162/geforce-rtx-20-series/rtx-2080ti-massively-die-/

It's for sure wan worthy. 

My rig

Asus maximus z390

I9 9900k @ 5.2 Ghz 24/7 (5.4 Ghz benching) 

Evga RTX 3090 ftx ultra 

32GB Gskill trident z 3866 Mhz

1000 watt evga gold psu

All watercooled

I hope my one will be fine as its arriving today together with ek water block.But i will not put in on for the next couple of days just to stres test the card !Good think is that Nvidia i allowing the FE cards to be fitted with a water block????

1 hour ago, Wargreymon15 said:

Yep. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/10/30/nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-cards-have-a-serious-problem-they-keep-dying/#b3c82476b2a4

Looks like all those early adopters of some RTX tech no one can actually use outside of those nice nifty Nvidia test.  Get to now deal with there hardware Failing even worse the replacements may just fail on you as well. if this was an exploding battery they would recalling the whole batch.  What I find worse is that the price Nvidia Gouged their users for a product they didn't even test good enough. or worse they new it be this bad and it was the only way to offset the cost Allegedly of course.

some users on reddit

... and those things cost $1500+

... yikes ...

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

4 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

*Laughs in perfectly working 10th series card*

*dabs in 1080s supporting SLI whereas the 2070 doesn't, also doesn't perform any better, but still costs the same*

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I like how people come in here to gloat at the misfortune of others. I feel like since some people couldn't afford it or justify the cost you think that is a valid reason to come in here and poke fun at others expense.

Two words - GROW UP!

7 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I like how people come in here to gloat at the misfortune of others. I feel like since some people couldn't afford it or justify the cost you think that is a valid reason to come in here and poke fun at others expense.

Two words - GROW UP!

Do I still fall into the same category as everybody else if I feel bad for the end users who are affected but laugh at the fact NVIDIA didn't do enough testing on the card to see how reliable it'd be long term before releasing it?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Do I still fall into the same category as everybody else if I fell bad for the end users who are affected but laugh at the fact NVIDIA didn't do enough testing on the card to see how reliable it'd be long term before releasing it?

^^^ We're mocking Nvidia, not people who bought expensive GPUs and they broke. The joke is that Nvidia turned out these super expensive GPUs with all these features nobody can actually use yet, and before games even support them they're already breaking. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Do I still fall into the same category as everybody else if I fell bad for the end users who are affected but laugh at the fact NVIDIA didn't do enough testing on the card to see how reliable it'd be long term before releasing it?

From what I can see this looks like a problem with the memory. Also while they are seeing more failures than with say the 10xx series, they aren't THAT much higher than what you normally see. In the scheme of thing the failures are still a low % of the total playerbase, the problem is that the people that buy these cards are often members of the spoken minority and take to the forums to rant or complain about it... not to mention all the tech sources using this for click bait and blowing it out of proportion.