RTX 2080 Ti Failing Too Early

5 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Oh look, someone is done fanboying.

Hide contents

/s

or is just capable of thinking rationally and not jumping to conclusions before proper information is actually available

Haha, but yeah. When reports first came out, I figured that it just might be a slightly higher than usual number of defective units and that any company with a good RMA policy should be able to handle it.

But as time went on and more reports flooded in, I think there's something up with the cards, probably GDDR6 or something.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Hardware Unboxed has an AIB card with reference design die and has been talking to their contacts. Seems like it might be mostly a FE card issue? We'll find out more, but it'll be interesting if there is a serious design issue with the reference card.

1 hour ago, D13H4RD said:

Haha, but yeah. When reports first came out, I figured that it just might be a slightly higher than usual number of defective units and that any company with a good RMA policy should be able to handle it.

But as time went on and more reports flooded in, I think there's something up with the cards, probably GDDR6 or something.

If HU's contacts about the FE design being the problem, it might be worth looking more closely at Buildzoid's breakdowns to see if there can be picked out the issue. The most direct thought is that it's the GDDR6, but if the AIB cards aren't failing at a higher rate then it's something about the PCB design. That would explain the RMA problems, as supply was already tight and now they're rushing to fix the PCB.

i guess they don't RTX but they sure as shit RMA. ?

yes i now personally know one crazy idiot who bought one at insane prices and now it's dead

25 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Did you even watch the video? Their FE is fine, what they had die on them was a Gigabyte card, albeit it used the reference PCB.

Mine's working fine as well, I still think people are taking this a bit out of proportion, for the youtubers it's great news, any news that gets them audience.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, VegetableStu said:

does this apply to AIB partners who use the same PCB? o_o do they buy PCBs that are already populated? o_o

Some, I believe, however they might use a different PCB producer. Which could point to it being an issue of the Reference Design production company.

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Did you watch the video? Their FE is fine, what they had die on them was a Gigabyte card, albeit it used the reference PCB.

Mine's working fine as well, I still think people are taking this a bit out of proportion, for the youtubers it's great news, any news that gets them audience.

Yes, I did. I edited the post to fix the mistake.

As for the cards, as Tim even said, one of the system builders had to RMA a bunch of cards, again with the reference design. Which is why it might either be a reference PCB issue in design or maybe the first run had some bad materials. 

Since 2007 I have had 2 out of 16 Nvidia cards fail. The failures were 8 years apart and the cards were RMAed.

With these ods I keep older cards as spares to use while I am waiting for the RMA. 

I bought a RTX 2080 ti. If it dies I will use a GTX 1080 ti during the RMA.

I am not happy with the situation but that is how it goes with new high performance anything.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Read somewhere last night that the failure rate for the 2080 Ti is estimated to be around 10%. That is, 1 out of every 10 2080 Tis sold is a $1000+ lemon.

That's really bad.

9 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Read somewhere last night that the failure rate for the 2080 Ti is estimated to be around 10%. That is, 1 out of every 10 2080 Tis sold is a $1000+ lemon.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.  The failure rate is nowhere near that high.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

3 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.  The failure rate is nowhere near that high.

Certainly seems higher than the normal failure rate. A $1000+ product should not die in less than a month, especially not in such numbers.

3 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Certainly seems higher than the normal failure rate.

Are you completely sure about that?  People bitch when they're unhappy.  Rarely do they rave when they're happy.  They just enjoy using the product.

So do we have hard numbers when it comes to failure rates?

(I'm kinda baiting you, because the answer is: no, we don't.)

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Just now, jasonvp said:

Are you completely sure about that?  People bitch when they're unhappy.  Rarely do they rave when they're happy.  They just enjoy using the product.

So do we have hard numbers when it comes to failure rates?

(I'm kinda baiting you, because the answer is: no, we don't.)

As I said, it's an estimation. Not an exact figure.

3 minutes ago, Nowak said:

As I said, it's an estimation. Not an exact figure.

how can you even estimate?

you know how many cards were produced?

you know how many failed?

Just now, pas008 said:

how can you even estimate?

you know how many cards were produced?

you know how many failed?

not my estimation. it was from a german-language source.

5 minutes ago, Nowak said:

not my estimation. it was from a german-language source.

Then the same questions apply to them.  I'll bet you a paycheck they pulled "10%" out of thin air.

10% is way higher than usual. I don't think it's that high unless there's calculated evidence that supports that theory. 

What I'm interested in is what exactly is causing them to fail. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

8 hours ago, Hellion said:

Clearly my metaphor went above your head... Not going to bother breaking it down for you. Think a little harder.

Your poor attempt

I read this far, I don't need to read any further because logical and well reasoned discussion does not require such derision.

Also it appears a few others have already explained to you why you are wrong.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

10% is way higher than usual. I don't think it's that high unless there's calculated evidence that supports that theory. 

What I'm interested in is what exactly is causing them to fail. 

AMD had 13% at one stage,  I'd agree I don't like seeing it that high, but it is a fairly complex product with tight tolerances (they have been for a while now).  I imagine even a heatsink restraint at the wrong torque spec might cause issues with either heating or physical damage.

This is from 2014 but it gives an indication of where failures can occur and how common they might be.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Video-Card-Failure-Rates-by-Generation-563/

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Back when i watched Gamers Nexus video with an Nvidia rep discussing overclocking on the RTX series cards.

I heard something alarming but thought surely that is wrong.

Summarising the video, the RTX cards are way more locked for Voltage over Pascal which they expect to last 5 Years overclocked.

The RTX cards are locked down a bit more so they don't blow up.

Fast Forward to 6:08 into the video "we're going from five years reliability to 1 year reliability."

These cards clearly are very close to blowing themselves up out of the box if they are "factory overclocked" who knows what the result will be but 3 increments 0.15mV's at best. and even less at worse. thats not a lot of room for error.

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

1 hour ago, Maticks said:

Fast Forward to 6:08 into the video "we're going from five years reliability to 1 year reliability."

Nice memory on that one, watched that video and didn't really take much note of that. Rather interesting in light of this.

2 hours ago, Maticks said:

Back when i watched Gamers Nexus video with an Nvidia rep discussing overclocking on the RTX series cards.

I heard something alarming but thought surely that is wrong.

Summarising the video, the RTX cards are way more locked for Voltage over Pascal which they expect to last 5 Years overclocked.

The RTX cards are locked down a bit more so they don't blow up.

These cards clearly are very close to blowing themselves up out of the box if they are "factory overclocked" who knows what the result will be but 3 increments 0.15mV's at best. and even less at worse. thats not a lot of room for error.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Nice memory on that one, watched that video and didn't really take much note of that. Rather interesting in light of this.

It just goes further to how close to tolerances they might be.