what irritates you most about using older pc's/laptops?

as the title says, what irritates you most about using older pc's/laptops?

for me besides gpu's when i want ot game it's always ram. 

when i bought my MacBook Pro it came with 4GB of ram. the first thing i did about 10 minutes after i owned it was upgrade it to 16gb of ram... 

She/Her

Just now, spartaman64 said:

when they dont have ssds and i need to wait a few minutes after they boot up before using

for me bootup time is irrelevant. i don't care about a boot time of 5 or even 10 minutes. as long as the system is snappy when it's booted up. 

She/Her

The inability to play 1080p videos and movies. If it's just a bit slow I can use it as a media center, but if it can't play my movies it's basically useless.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

The inability to play 1080p videos and movies. If it's just a bit slow I can use it as a media center, but if it can't play my movies it's basically useless.

then it's really old... and it depends what you want to play. youtube is very demanding these days. 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

as the title says, what irritates you most about using older pc's/laptops?

Not having an ssd or even a fast enough hdd.

It takes my old laptop 15 mins or more b4 i can use it.

And after not using it for a while those windows updates that take ages.

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

Just now, EG! said:

Not having an ssd or even a fast enough hdd.

hdd is never fast enough for me :P 

Just now, EG! said:

It takes my old laptop 15 mins or more b4 i can use it.

damn

1 minute ago, EG! said:

And after not using it for a while those windows updates that take ages.

yeah. that's true. Windows updates on a hdd take forever. 

She/Her

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

then it's really old... and it depends what you want to play. youtube is very demanding these days. 

Not that old to be honest, early atoms were terrible and part of what made them terrible was their lack of media playing capabilities.

As for youtube, in my experience the minimum performance required for 1080p video is a core 2 duo. 1080p 60 fps is barely beyond reach for those, but regular 1080p isn't an issue. High bitrate files are also not a problem for the most part. Much of it is down to the igpu and hardware acceleration support though, raspberry pis have slower cpus and yet are perfectly capable of playing high quality video thanks to gpu acceleration.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

the lack of being able to do stuff fast. so slow storage and very little RAM. sometimes CPU can hold you back if you get back to the P4s or early atoms. old laptops tend to have garbage battery life too as they have degraded from use. slow network speeds can also be a pain if you want to stream video, and the inability to even processs 720p can be a huge pain especialy on mobile devices

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

depends on how old you go
had a 10y+ old machine with xp still and wanted to make it ready for sale... Win7 / 10 is such an improvement in usability, i wasn't aware of that how much better it got
but on xp, you did not have to worry about people spying on you

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

15 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Not that old to be honest, early atoms were terrible and part of what made them terrible was their lack of media playing capabilities.

As for youtube, in my experience the minimum performance required for 1080p video is a core 2 duo. 1080p 60 fps is barely beyond reach for those, but regular 1080p isn't an issue. High bitrate files are also not a problem for the most part. Much of it is down to the igpu and hardware acceleration support though, raspberry pis have slower cpus and yet are perfectly capable of playing high quality video thanks to gpu acceleration.

i had a Core 2 Duo E8400 machine and that was fine at playing 1080p 60fps youtube if i remember correctly. i paired that with a Radeon HD6670 and yea, 1080p 60fps was fine on that. it got loud when it played it but it could do it. 

although that was not that surprising since that cpu is a LOT faster than even kinda decent atom cpu's that you'd find in a lot of cheap devices.  

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core2-Duo-E8400-vs-Intel-Atom-x5-Z8350/2720vsm143924

She/Her

I upgraded my laptops CPU, Screen (from 720p to 1080p).

Downside:

The CPU hits 70-85°C when watching a 1080p video or stream. This means the fan gets very noisy. I already reduced the fan speed but that didn´t help enough.

Anything without an SSD or has anything pre core2.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

15 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i had a Core 2 Duo E8400 machine and that was fine at playing 1080p 60fps youtube if i remember correctly. i paired that with a Radeon HD6670 and yea, 1080p 60fps was fine on that. it got loud when it played it but it could do it. 

although that was not that surprising since that cpu is a LOT faster than even kinda decent atom cpu's that you'd find in a lot of cheap devices.  

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core2-Duo-E8400-vs-Intel-Atom-x5-Z8350/2720vsm143924

The E6300 struggles with 60fps unfortunately, it depends on the specific model. Also I'm sure the dedicated graphics card helps.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The E6300 struggles with 60fps unfortunately, it depends on the specific model. Also I'm sure the dedicated graphics card helps.

i'd say it was the dedicated gpu then. i can't do tests with it unfortunately because that machine is gone. it was a fun system to mess around with but yeah it broke. 

but based on this:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Pentium-E6300-vs-Intel-Core2-Duo-E8400/m3310vs2720

i'd say it was the gpu. a 9% difference isn't much. 

She/Her

Not having a decent XP machine that works.. :( 

I have an old Acer 6920g laptop that is really showing it's age.

Higher res youtube videos just stutter like crazy on it.  It's slow to open apps, slow to boot.  Just painful to use now.

I currently have Windows 10 on it (it was originally a Windows Vista laptop) but Windows 10 is not friendly running on mechanical drives.  For some reason disk usage spikes at 100% all the time.  I might pull windows off it and try Ubuntu.

Trying to find drivers for actually old shit can be interesting sometimes.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Something specific to older laptops, is using the track pad. Older PC track pads are horrific pieces of garbage. I have been spoiled by my MacBook Pro's track pad and when I use my gf's old IBM Thinkpad I want to throw it out the window. 

The only machine I have that ever drove me nuts was an older I5 3rd gen laptop. I replaced the HDD with and SSD and even it flies now. The problem with older hardware is mostly the dumb older hard drives in them... so an SSD replacement gives them new life. My dad has an old Q6600 running in a machine i gave him years ago. I dropped and SSD in it recently on my last visit there and he thought I got him a new computer.

So... that would be my biggest complaint and fix for older machines. The good news is SSD's are much cheaper now so you can toss in a 250gb drive for less than 70 bucks in most cases.

11 minutes ago, Majinhoju said:

I have an old Acer 6920g laptop that is really showing it's age.

Higher res youtube videos just stutter like crazy on it.  It's slow to open apps, slow to boot.  Just painful to use now.

I currently have Windows 10 on it (it was originally a Windows Vista laptop) but Windows 10 is not friendly running on mechanical drives.  For some reason disk usage spikes at 100% all the time.  I might pull windows off it and try Ubuntu.

Just pull the HDD and toss in an SSD.

getting only 5 fps in games.

but seriously probably just the limitation they have like especially compared to what I can get now for only like 200 dollars.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

5 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

Just pull the HDD and toss in an SSD.

I could..

Though I almost feel like a ssd drive would be a waste on this old laptop haha.

I did just toss a ssd on my old phenom 2 965 system and it made a huge difference, so i just might...

5 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

My dad has an old Q6600 running in a machine i gave him years ago. I dropped and SSD in it recently on my last visit there and he thought I got him a new computer.

It's amazing how much a bottleneck a worn out mechanical hard drive can be. This is also probably my only gripe with older systems.

Just now, Majinhoju said:

I did just toss a ssd on my old phenom 2 965 system and it made a huge difference, so i just might...

Ben-Stiller-Do-It-Starsky-and-Hutch.gif?

6 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

for me bootup time is irrelevant. i don't care about a boot time of 5 or even 10 minutes. as long as the system is snappy when it's booted up. 

Yea until you have to restart your PC several times in a row because you are tweaking, installing some stuff and/or OC'ing ;-)

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones