what irritates you most about using older pc's/laptops?

Having to worry about jumpers being in the right position on ide devices is pretty annoying. 

1 minute ago, overther said:

Having to worry about jumpers being in the right position on ide devices is pretty annoying. 

That's the main reason I set all my IDE drives to cable select, made my life quite a bit easier.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

15 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

It's a very demanding OS.

Windows 10 isn't that demanding. Once there are drivers, every device I have/had that came with 7 or 8 ran just as well, if not slightly better, under 10.

The issue that without good drivers, Windows, and any OS really, sucks major dog shit.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Windows 10 isn't that demanding. Once there are drivers, every device I have/had that came with 7 or 8 ran just as well, if not slightly better, under 10.

The issue that without good drivers, Windows, and any OS really, sucks major dog shit.

I have a computer repair business, I constantly work with different versions of Windows. Windows 10 is far more demanding of disk usage than any other version. That's why it benefits most from an SSD.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Windows 10 is far more demanding of disk usage than any other version. That's why it benefits most from an SSD.

Windows 10 is not more demanding. I've ran 7, 8, and 10 in conjunction on my systems more quite some time, just to find that it all really boils down to "are the drivers any good."

I see near identical disk usage under 10 as I did with 8 on my main system, on my Alienware Alpha running a 1TB 5400RPM spinner, old A10 system, Inspiron 13" 2 in 1, Hyper-V on my main system, my Acer Aspire E1, and the custom i5 desktop I built for my dad.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Clicking on a file and then it saying, "not responding." As if it's making fun of me.

giphy.gif.54550f4ad89f5666298f3b25ca63f296.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Lagging and freezing in system even when trying to browse the Internet.

i remember my sister's laptop has a weird problem. it take ages for a window explore to be opened. but if it's opened, browsing thru other folders is at reasonable speed. When i say ages i mean half an hour. So ya, pretty irritating. She's not a techsavvy girl, so her laptop is a mess, but 30min to open windows explore is too much to take.

1 hour ago, Devin92 said:

i remember my sister's laptop has a weird problem. it take ages for a window explore to be opened. but if it's opened, browsing thru other folders is at reasonable speed. When i say ages i mean half an hour. So ya, pretty irritating. She's not a techsavvy girl, so her laptop is a mess, but 30min to open windows explore is too much to take.

wow that's weird. do other programs take that long too?

She/Her

On 8/24/2018 at 4:17 PM, 2Buck said:

As long as the system meets my expectations for it's specs, i won't get annoyed. In fact I enjoy doing modern tasks on old hardware sometimes, because I'm weird that way. But if the system is not meeting my expectations due to a incredibly slow/dying HDD or lots of bloatware, then I get annoyed. Because a computer that's in fine health but low spec'd is at least consistently slow which my patience can handle, but working on a computer that's just being an annoying bitch and doing whatever it wants to, well......

For instance, I'd much rather use a Core 2 Duo machine that's in good health than a i3 machine that's slow/unstable. In fact, funny story, back in 2011 my shitty Athlon x2 Dell inspiron laptop (which was my main computer at the time) would randomly crash ALL THE TIME, overheat and just acted all around weird, so I dug out my 1GHZ pentium iii and switched to it for pretty much everything for awhile, just because the experience was more sane and predictable. (And keep in mind, back in 2011 Pentium iiis were a bit more usable than they are nowadays because browsers weren't bloated like shit yet.)

Don't really know why I can be so patient with older systems. I don't really consider myself to be a patient person, but there's just something really relaxing to me about surfing the web or playing Minecraft on a Athlon 64. :D

Yeah it can be fun to boot up a old machine for ol times sake.  In my undergraduate I used a tough as nails Dell Latitude E6420.  Thing was a brick later refurbished it with a SSD 8GB of RAM.  It lasted me about 10 years give or take.  Thing eventually just was putting out too much heat and fan was spinning all the time.  Actually had to get the motherboard replaced once because it was shutting off to overheating.

I replaced it with a $600 Acer Aspire 5 which came with 8GB of RAM, a i5 8520U, a 256GB SSD, and a Nvidia MX150 GPU with 2GB of VRAM.  Overall a good budget laptop with all the ports I need and very light and quiet.  I also added a 1TB HDD in the open bay though I had to order the cable and bay holder from Acer but that was pretty cheap.  My only complaint is that while the build is solid and keyboard feels great with a numpad my particular model isn't backlit.  The screen's viewing angles aren't too great and blacks come in mediocre though it is a 1080p full HD display and more than usable.

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

wow that's weird. do other programs take that long too?

nope, just windows explorer.

her computer is a mess, so everything runs slow, but in the scale of 30 seconds or so, but windows explorer.... man oh man.

I had an HP Elite Book 8460p (about 7 years old as of now) before I upgraded to a newer Pro Book a few months ago, the thing that irritated me the most was the graphics card. The thing used Intel 3000 graphics, so the thing handled business work like a champ due to the SSD I put into it and it's Core i5, but the moment you wanted to play any sort-of-new game you had yourself a potato with a keyboard xD

It also had a weird issue with the screen going all crazy as if the GPU had died, although hitting ctrl+alt+del would solve the issue for some reason, but it only happened when on battery power, even after replacing the battery.

Performance.

When the hardware's so outdated it lags while watching YT at 1080p. I mean, to be fair that's probably in part thanks to the oh so lovely Australian internet. But you can definitely feel when hardware is old.