Android Messages for Web Starting to Roll Out

DocSwag

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/18/17475390/android-messages-text-from-web-feature

Finally, android users are getting a feature ios users have been enjoying for a long time. Assuming you use Google's messaging app, once you get the update you'll be able to connect your phone and any computer so that you can send SMS texts from your computer. I might even argue this works out a little better than imessage: imessage only works on Apple devices, whereas, because this is a website, I believe it should work on all your devices.

Google is beginning to roll out desktop browser support for Android Messages, allowing people to use their PC for sending messages and viewing those that have been received on their Android smartphone. Google says the feature is starting to go out to users today and continuing for the rest of the week. Text, images, and stickers are all supported on the web version.

To get started, the Android Messages website has you scan a QR code using the Android Messages mobile app, which creates a link between the two. That’s very similar to how the web client for Allo — remember Allo? — worked. Unfortunately, that section of the Messages app isn’t yet live. Hopefully it won’t be long before it shows up and you can start chatting across platforms.

Unfortunately, this is still SMS, so you don't get support for features other messaging apps have such as end to end encryption. Howeber, it's still really cool, though I'm still not 100% sure on how this is much better than pushbullet.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

who uses sms

especially if you have access to a desktop / internet access

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Funny thing is that the only use I have for my phone is for 2 step verification codes... What's App, Telegram and Skype all I use on my laptop/desktop.

I don't web browser on the phone either, only one the laptop/desktop... I rarely do or receive calls as at work it's all internet or when really needed I use the office's land line.

So yeah... phones are worthless to me... kinda pisses me off when people knowing I'm not tech savvy ask me stuff about phone apps and phones in general as I really don't care to them one bit... still rocking Windows strong to all my online life.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Waiting for a proper OS integration like what Apple has and like what Windows 10 Mobile devices has with Windows 10.

It is silly that you need to open your web browser, go to some site, login, and wait there to view SMS or to send one.

Microsoft is working on one for the next Windows 10 update coming in a couple of month with Android (and maybe iPhones if a deal can be made between the 2 companies)... and goes further than that by allowing you access your phone content and notifications. Might as well just wait for that.

In addition, via the web method which Google offers, your SMS go through the internet, while via OS integration you don't. You use the wireless network or Bluetooth (depending on the implementation of the feature) instead. That is not to mention that doing all these steps to go online, takes more time than to just pick-up the phone, which is right next to you, and type your SMS or read one.

Google should have done a native desktop app for all OSs which actually integrates with ones Android phone, like what Microsoft is working on. And maybe Google could go even further as it is their mobile OS, so they can make new APIs to do what they want and not depended on someone else APIs which you have no control on. Shame they limited themselves to some basic webpage thing.

Or, you can use something like Airdroid and get that + file transfers + some extra stuff all for free and working with pretty much every messaging app ;)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Pushbullet has had this ability for a long time now, been using myself for when family/friends/colleagues don't like checking emails for some reason.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

They need to hurry up and bring this to all Project Fi users sooner, I am still using Hangout as my SMS app.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

I might even argue this works out a little better than imessage: imessage only works on Apple devices, whereas, because this is a website, I believe it should work on all your devices.

Oh really?

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Unfortunately, this is still SMS, so you don't get support for features other messaging apps have such as end to end encryption.

Ahhh, I see.....So it's not better than iMessage.....actually its pretty inconvenient and useless. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Oh really?

Ahhh, I see.....So it's not better than iMessage.

Not really, Google is working on being a thing called Chat that has a lot of the features of other messaging APPs besides encryption due to legal reasons.

Chat is a SMS backend standard. (RCS)

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/19/17252486/google-android-messages-chat-rcs-anil-sabharwal-imessage-texting

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

It is silly that you need to open your web browser, go to some site, login, and wait there to view SMS or to send one

Still better than to locked in one OS to do that:

"Oh, no MacOS? sorry, can't view the messages on your phone here"

"Oh, no Windows? sorry, can't view the messages on your phone here"

And just go:

"Hey, everyone has a browser right? here are all your messages. Enjoy!"

And much better than forcing us to download an electron app

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

5 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Easy for you to say when iMessage also needs internet access to sync messages

Just like Android Messages, any old school SMS you get is stuck to the one phone unless you have internet

The difference is iMessage uses SMS as a fallback, this uses SMS as its primary way of sending messages.....

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Except Android users also now use SMS as a fallback

Did you read the OP?

4 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Unfortunately, this is still SMS, so you don't get support for features other messaging apps have such as end to end encryption.

How many apps does Google have for chat now? I've completely lost count. Did we move to another one already? I don't think I was on the one we were last using. Which one am I supposed to install today? Or should I wait it out for the next one?

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

4 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Funny thing is that the only use I have for my phone is for 2 step verification codes... What's App, Telegram and Skype all I use on my laptop/desktop.

I don't web browser on the phone either, only one the laptop/desktop... I rarely do or receive calls as at work it's all internet or when really needed I use the office's land line.

So yeah... phones are worthless to me... kinda pisses me off when people knowing I'm not tech savvy ask me stuff about phone apps and phones in general as I really don't care to them one bit... still rocking Windows strong to all my online life.

4 hours ago, AskTJ said:

Uses of my phone.

• 2 factor authenticators
  • Camera
  • Calls from parents

Pretty much all to it.

Hey, congratulations, you two don't use your phone for much.  That doesn't make this news irrelevant for the vast majority of cellphone users who regularly send and receive text messages.  Please don't dump on a thread simply because you, personally, don't find much value in something that nearly every Android user with a PC might appreciate.

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Oh really?

Ahhh, I see.....So it's not better than iMessage.....actually its pretty inconvenient and useless. 

I'm saying it's better in compatibility regards. Not in all regards. It works on any device, mac or windows, whereas iMessage only works on macs.

I wouldn't say it's inconvenient and useless... Messages for web is quite useful as typing on a keyboard is easier IMO as well as a host of other reasons.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I'm saying it's better in compatibility regards. Not in all regards. It works on any device, mac or windows, whereas iMessage only works on macs.

I wouldn't say it's inconvenient and useless... Messages for web is quite useful as typing on a keyboard is easier IMO as well as a host of other reasons.

If this enables me to send SMS over wifi (where I don't have cell service), this would be quite useful.

Lots of people I know tend to message from different platforms (iMessage), so SMS is the only thing relatively universal without downloading several different messaging apps, or forcing my friends on iOS to download something else.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Pretty nice, I've always enjoyed iMessage (Which did used to be called Messages, but I'm sure thats just a placeholder for another name for Google). Nice news for free texts with MMS etc. One thing to note is you can use iMessage from the iCloud online, so it does work over your devices, but I hardly use it because I have my phone on me. Great news, hopefully FaceTime integration (Or Hangouts?) will be available for your computers as well so you can take your calls on any device and send free ones. Maybe it's already there. 

Everyone I know uses Facebook Messenger instead.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

6 hours ago, themctipers said:

who uses sms

especially if you have access to a desktop / internet access

lol I do all the time

I've got 2GB of data and I pay for the number/SMS capabilities in the first place so why not

1 minute ago, Aprime said:

lol I do all the time

I've got 2GB of data and I pay for the number/SMS capabilities in the first place so why not

I only SMS when I am outside with 1 bar of E saying please entertain me, hopefully this goes by, I know I don't talk to you but I only have a bar of edge

When near a computer that means I am probably in a place where I have wifi, or LTE, and if I do I can tether to myself and shitpost on discord

and when on my phone with 3g/lte, I can still shitpost on discord

nobody I talk to uses SMS, it's all iMessage or Discord

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

4 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

If this enables me to send SMS over wifi (where I don't have cell service), this would be quite useful.

Lots of people I know tend to message from different platforms (iMessage), so SMS is the only thing relatively universal without downloading several different messaging apps, or forcing my friends on iOS to download something else.

If your computer has an internet connection it'll work assuming your phone has a cellular connection. Texting purely over wifi is something RCS enables.

If you have the option Wifi calling also lets you send SMS over wifi. That's why I end up leaving it on.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

37 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

If your computer has an internet connection it'll work assuming your phone has a cellular connection. Texting purely over wifi is something RCS enables.

If you have the option Wifi calling also lets you send SMS over wifi. That's why I end up leaving it on.

Only carrier phones on T-Mobile seem to work properly with wifi-calling (though might be a custom ROM thing), so I use Google Voice where cellular service isn't available 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

sometimes loses sent messages, or deliver them few days later. 

Sounds like when sms was just becoming a thing.   I had a dickhead boss who kept sending me sms messages first thing in the morning with lists of tools we needed for the job.  I kept telling him they weren't coming through or were coming through well after I had left. He didn't believe me, he just thought I was incompetent until one day in the afternoon my phone dinged and his message from the previous morning came through. He couldn't believe it. Moral of this story is: People are fucking dumb and new technology doesn't always help.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.