Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Lol wuts LSPI? I hear Ecoboosts don't like that and tend to dispatch with pistons frequently when you try to boost in high gears at low speed. I'd call that operator error.

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Also not WOTing in 6th gear is important ;) 

Im surprised mines still going lmao, parents think they dont need to change down from 6th when overtaking at 50 smh

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

2 hours ago, vetali said:

Compared to the reliability of other ecoboost engines they may as well be made by Toyota.

Yeah in all seriousness they aint too bad, my STs now on 30k without any issues engine wise 

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

45 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Im surprised mines still going lmao, parents think they dont need to change down from 6th when overtaking at 50 smh

Im gonna play Devil's advocate here and say it's not entirely their fault -- theres so much torque available that it feels like you don't need to.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Im gonna play Devil's advocate here and say it's not entirely their fault -- theres so much torque available that it feels like you don't need to.

How hard would it be for there to be a boost cut based on speed and RPM tho? That would prevent LSPI fairly well.

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

How hard would it be for there to be a boost cut based on speed and RPM tho? That would prevent LSPI fairly well.

to be fair the stock tunes usually limit that a decent amount. Maybe not enough.

But aftermarket tunes seem to purposely remove this. That may be why it happens so often

You can also only limit boost so much iirc?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

I keep telling my dad if you ant to pass and or go up a hill make sure your at, at least 3k rpm preferrably 3500rpm

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

2 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

I keep telling my dad if you ant to pass and or go up a hill make sure your at, at least 3k rpm preferrably 3500rpm

"Dad, just make it SCREAM. All the time."

Spoiler

41 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

to be fair the stock tunes usually limit that a decent amount. Maybe not enough.

But aftermarket tunes seem to purposely remove this. That may be why it happens so often

You can also only limit boost so much iirc?

I dunno, my friends Kia Stinger killed ALL boost when his piggy back made it set an overboost code lol. Would hit like 1/2 psi haha.

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

"Dad, just make it SCREAM. All the time."

Lol ? Better then letting him lug the engine all the time trying to pass people at 2k rpm. That being said I prefer higher rpm to get the turbo spooked up and just use less throttle to pass. ??‍♀️ Ecoboost has longer gears then my gti at 60 you can pass in 6th as it’s already tacking near 3k mustang just sits a little higher then 2k which is not good to try and pass with.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Thinking of selling my 2004 Lexus LS430 UL to my dad. Trying to decide what to replace it with should I go ahead and sell it to him.

I'm honestly having a hard time deciding what direction I would go for a new car. Do I want another luxury first vehicle or do I want something more engaging? I probably wouldn't sell it to him for another few months and by that time, nicer weather won't be far around the corner. Here are some of the vehicles I have been thinking of:

986 Porche Boxter S -Sure, it isn't super fast in a straight line but I live in a rural area and there are a lot of windy roads to have fun on. I would only get it in a manual, of course. Of course I will have to buy something I can drive in the winter later down the road though. Obviously, I would be giving up a lot of the creature comforts but it would be fun.

Porche Cayenne Turbo S 1st gen - Looks fun and I do miss having an SUV but I don't think AC seats or adaptive cruise were an option.

Mercedes S55 AMG - Somewhat appealing as I hear the engine is actually pretty reliable and I will get a much more engaging driving experience without losing creature comforts such as adaptive cruise and cooled seats which I have become totally addicted to. 

Mercedes W211 E55 AMG - A much more performance oriented car with some nice luxury but the downside is that this car is a rabbit hole when trying to find all the options I want such as the panorama roof, adaptive cruise, cooled seats etc. Price will quickly add up into the price range of nice version of the Jag later on my list.

Mercedes W211 E320 CDI - Only sold here in the US between 2005-2006. Honestly, despite being a diesel, it is only a hair slower than my LS430 and believe it or not, it looks like there is some decent potential for mods. Nothing crazy but it looks reasonable that I could get under a 6 second 0-60 out of it which honestly, I think is pretty cool for a diesel. I'm not that concerned with fuel economy but it can get close to 40 MPG which is a nice plus. Again though, it's a bit of a rabbit hole for options like the AMG version is.

Jaguar XFR - Fast, gorgeous, and has pretty much all the luxury features I want for a midsize sports sedan but I'll have to take out a bigger loan than I would like, especially if I want the face-lift version, which I kind of do.

Those are just a few that I would consider. Nice thing about everything but the Jag and maybe the E55 AMG is that I wouldn't have to borrow much money and I could easily pay it off in less than a year if I wanted to.

Meh. Maybe I should just pour the extra money into my LS430 to make it as cherry as I would like. Idk. That car is just the perfect luxury car on so many levels. I guess I could just buy the Boxter for a fun nice weather can and dink away and making the LS430 cherry by the time winter rolls around.

18 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Thinking of selling my 2004 Lexus LS430 UL to my dad. Trying to decide what to replace it with should I go ahead and sell it to him.

I'm honestly having a hard time deciding what direction I would go for a new car. Do I want another luxury first vehicle or do I want something more engaging? I probably wouldn't sell it to him for another few months and by that time, nicer weather won't be far around the corner. Here are some of the vehicles I have been thinking of:

986 Porche Boxter S -Sure, it isn't super fast in a straight line but I live in a rural area and there are a lot of windy roads to have fun on. I would only get it in a manual, of course. Of course I will have to buy something I can drive in the winter later down the road though. Obviously, I would be giving up a lot of the creature comforts but it would be fun.

Porche Cayenne Turbo S 1st gen - Looks fun and I do miss having an SUV but I don't think AC seats or adaptive cruise were an option.

Mercedes S55 AMG - Somewhat appealing as I hear the engine is actually pretty reliable and I will get a much more engaging driving experience without losing creature comforts such as adaptive cruise and cooled seats which I have become totally addicted to. 

Mercedes W211 E55 AMG - A much more performance oriented car with some nice luxury but the downside is that this car is a rabbit hole when trying to find all the options I want such as the panorama roof, adaptive cruise, cooled seats etc. Price will quickly add up into the price range of nice version of the Jag later on my list.

Mercedes W211 E320 CDI - Only sold here in the US between 2005-2006. Honestly, despite being a diesel, it is only a hair slower than my LS430 and believe it or not, it looks like there is some decent potential for mods. Nothing crazy but it looks reasonable that I could get under a 6 second 0-60 out of it which honestly, I think is pretty cool for a diesel. I'm not that concerned with fuel economy but it can get close to 40 MPG which is a nice plus. Again though, it's a bit of a rabbit hole for options like the AMG version is.

Jaguar XFR - Fast, gorgeous, and has pretty much all the luxury features I want for a midsize sports sedan but I'll have to take out a bigger loan than I would like, especially if I want the face-lift version, which I kind of do.

Those are just a few that I would consider. Nice thing about everything but the Jag and maybe the E55 AMG is that I wouldn't have to borrow much money and I could easily pay it off in less than a year if I wanted to.

Meh. Maybe I should just pour the extra money into my LS430 to make it as cherry as I would like. Idk. That car is just the perfect luxury car on so many levels. I guess I could just buy the Boxter for a fun nice weather can and dink away and making the LS430 cherry by the time winter rolls around.

I wouldnt go for a Porsche Boxster/Cayman, as fun as they are (And they are a lot of fun !), they are very costly on maintenance. If you can afford it, then why not.

Cayenne Gen 1. Lol NOPE. Eat brakes and tyres, slow, and they are all lemons on the used market. DONT. BUY. ONE.

Cant say for the Mercs.

2 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

1 hour ago, tankyx said:

I wouldnt go for a Porsche Boxster/Cayman, as fun as they are (And they are a lot of fun !), they are very costly on maintenance. If you can afford it, then why not.

Cayenne Gen 1. Lol NOPE. Eat brakes and tyres, slow, and they are all lemons on the used market. DONT. BUY. ONE.

Cant say for the Mercs.

This ^
the round headlight mercs were quite known to rust. Mainly W210 generation but the W211 as well if you are unlucky. otherwise for merc its all the common merc maintenance expenses ... it aint cheap BUT the diesel in the 320CDI is quite a good engine IIRC
and Jaguar ... well its jaguar ... we need to ask @iDeFecZx about them 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

29 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

This ^
the round headlight mercs were quite known to rust. Mainly W210 generation but the W211 as well if you are unlucky. otherwise for merc its all the common merc maintenance expenses ... it aint cheap BUT the diesel in the 320CDI is quite a good engine IIRC
and Jaguar ... well its jaguar ... we need to ask @iDeFecZx about them 

2 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Not had much experience with the XFR tbh driven a few RS's, the engine itself is pretty reliable, most of that generations issues are suspension bushes and the infotainment systems showing its age. Oh and door latches, theyre a common failure point on the MK1 XFs

IMG_20190508_180139_321.jpg

So I’ve been thinking and I might want to try and swap a Ford Barra engine into my ecoboost. >:) probably need to swap the trans too. Engine I can get for 1700 so that’s not bad. I’d have to get mounts custom fabricated though.

13 hours ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

So I’ve been thinking and I might want to try and swap a Ford Barra engine into my ecoboost. >:) probably need to swap the trans too. Engine I can get for 1700 so that’s not bad. I’d have to get mounts custom fabricated though.

What's a Ford Barra?

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

What's a Ford Barra?

It’s a straight 6 engine made by ford. Turbo ones from the factory has a really strong block and made around 400 hp/tq and could be built to get a lot of power out of it. Some say it’s like fords version of a 2jz some believe it to be better then a 2jz.

On 1/12/2020 at 6:59 PM, chaozbandit said:

Harry's Garage is one of my favourite channels. No fake drama, no clickbait, just awesome cars being driven properly.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

What's a Ford Barra?

35 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

It’s a straight 6 engine made by ford. Turbo ones from the factory has a really strong block and made around 400 hp/tq and could be built to get a lot of power out of it. Some say it’s like fords version of a 2jz some believe it to be better then a 2jz.

I had to look it up too. It was an Austrailian made engine for the Ford Falcon 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Barra_engine

Turbocharged Petrol[edit]

Barra 240T[edit]

This engine is found in the BA Falcon XR6 Turbo, and was produced between late 2002 and mid 2005. It is similar to the naturally aspirated Barra 182, except it has different pistons to lower the compression ratio, a single Garrett GT35/40r turbocharger, higher base fuel pressure, Inconel exhaust valves, red rocker cover, and an intercooler.[5]

Power: 240 kW (322 hp) @ 5250 rpm
Torque: 450 N⋅m (332 lb⋅ft) @ 2000-4500 rpm
Compression Ratio: 8.7:1

Barra 245T[edit]

300px-Barra_245T_Engine.JPG

Barra 245T in a BF Falcon XR6T engine bay

This engine is found in the BF Falcon XR6 Turbo and the SY Territory Turbo, and was produced between mid 2005 and early 2008. It is internally very similar to its predecessor, with the 5 kW power increase found through the changes introduced by the Barra 190 (revised camshaft profiles and more powerful ECU, enabling dual independent VCT with an extra knock sensor). Aesthetically the engine is the same as the previous model, with the exception of the Territory Turbo using a black rocker cover and a top mounted intercooler. In May 2006, the engine received a minor internal upgrade which addressed concerns of bending con-rods, by introducing stronger con-rods.[6]

Power: 245 kW (329 hp) @ 5250 rpm
Torque: 480 N⋅m (354 lb⋅ft) @ 2000-4500 rpm

Barra 270T (BA / BF FPV)[edit]

300px-Barra_270T.jpg

Barra 270T from a BA-BF FPV

This engine is found in the BA/BF Falcon based FPV F6 Typhoon and Tornado models, and the SY Territory based FPV F6X, and was produced between 2004 and early 2009. It is the high-power variant of the Barra 240/245T versions found in the XR6 Turbo. The increase in power is achieved through the use of higher boost pressures from the otherwise under-utilised large Garrett GT3540 turbocharger, a larger intercooler, revised air intake. These are differentiated from the standard turbo engines by the unique FPV blue-coloured rocker cover. With the introduction of the BF Falcon in 2005, the 270T also inherited the upgrades found in the 245T, but the power figures were left unchanged.[7]

Power: 270 kW (362 hp) @ 5250 rpm
Torque: 550 N⋅m (406 lb⋅ft) @ 2000-4250 rpm

Barra 270T (FG)[edit]

This engine is found in the FG/FG-X Falcon XR6 Turbo, and was produced between mid 2008 and late 2016. Although the power figures for the revised turbo engine mimic the old FPV turbo I6, the engines are quite different. It has a redesigned low-profile log style intake manifold, a smaller turbocharger which spools faster, a new intercooler, redesigned pistons to increase compression. The end result is that the FG XR6 Turbo is faster than the FPV's BF Typhoon although they share the same power output. This engine introduces a transient over-boost feature for a maximum of 10 seconds when optimal atmospheric conditions are met when under full throttle, which increases torque to a maximum of 586 Nm.[8]

Power: 270 kW (362 hp) @ 5250 rpm
Torque: 533 N⋅m (393 lb⋅ft) @ 2000-4750 rpm
Compression Ratio: 8.8:1

Barra 310T[edit]

This engine is found in the FG Falcon based FPV F6. It is the high-power variant of the FG XR6 Turbo's Barra 270T. It was produced between mid 2008 and mid 2014, ending production when FPV shut down. Featuring a larger turbocharger and intercooler, different pistons to reduce compression, and larger injectors than its less powerful sibling (the FG Barra 270T), it was the first engine manufactured in Australia to produce more than 100 hp (75 kW) per litre, producing 310 kW at the flywheel.

Power: 310 kW (416 hp) @ 5500 rpm[9]
Torque: 565 N⋅m (417 lb⋅ft) @ 1950-5200 rpm
Compression Ratio: 8.47:1

Barra 325T[edit]

The final and most powerful variant of the Barra engine featured in the FG-X XR6 Sprint. This engine is the most powerful six cylinder produced in Australia and was built in very limited numbers, with only 500 for Australia and 50 for New Zealand (True production is 560, as 10 pre-production vehicles were built and auctioned off). Each engine had its own numbered build plaque attached to the rocker cover, which is painted in the same colour as the Territory Turbo rocker cover. The engine is based internally upon the Barra 270T, with extras added from the Barra 310T variant such as the turbo, intercooler and injectors. In an Australian first, Ford also employed a custom designed carbon fibre air intake which increased airflow by 45 percent. It was chosen to base the engine on the 270T instead of the 310T due to the increased compression ratio. The engine yet again employs Ford's over-boost feature, which when the correct conditions are met will increase engine output to 370 kW and 650 Nm.[10]

Power: 325 kW (436 hp) @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 576 N⋅m (425 lb⋅ft) @ 2750 rpm
Compression Ratio: 8.8:1

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

On 1/16/2020 at 7:23 AM, MadyTehWolfie said:

the barra is a great engine but in not sure it'd fit in your mustang without notching the firewall due to length

and its going to be a lot more work than custom engine mounts and a new tranny to get the swap done. 

6 hours ago, Ae86 said:

the barra is a great engine but in not sure it'd fit in your mustang without notching the firewall due to length

and its going to be a lot more work than custom engine mounts and a new tranny to get the swap done. 

There is about a foot of room left infront with the 2.3 and even with the Gt there’s a decent amount of room. Might need to cut the hood if anything. People have swapped 2jz’a into the s550 without cutting the rear firewall.

On 1/16/2020 at 6:23 AM, MadyTehWolfie said:

If things were as easy as you are expecting them to be, I'd have a V8 swapped MK1 Mondeo by now ?

"an obvious supporter of privacy"