CPU running OC speeds without OC

Hello.. 

So I have a weird situation going on right now.. I have an i7-9700K and just upgraded my GPU today to Asus TUF OC 4070ti Super.. As soon as I threw the GPU in the CPU just ran straight to 4600mhz and stays there all the time.. 
I'm down one fan right now on my AIO liquid cooler so this is not great.. The temp is not that bad though, between 50-63 Celsius while gaming and 30-50 while idle..

When gaming (tested BF2042 HIGH settings) the CPU runs 100% and for some reason when the FPS go above 120 I start rubber banding and sometimes I can't even move.. But for some even more odd reason it struggles to go above 100fps.. Or is that for another forum post?

Oh - I upgraded my monitor too to a ''Asus VG27AQ3A'' 1440p 180hz if that plays a part.

Can anyone explain what is happening here and maybe how I can fix it? 

14 minutes ago, MattKier said:

The temp is not that bad though

Intel CPU cores that are idle will enter various low power C states to reduce power consumption and heat. Running a CPU at full speed is not as bad as many people think. When a core with nothing to do it enters the C7 state. In this state it is disconnected from the voltage rail and it is disconnected from the internal clock. It might spend 99% of its time in this state where it is technically at 0 MHz and 0 Volts. It is best to monitor C state activity. It is a lot more meaningful than monitoring MHz.

Here is an example of a 10 core CPU with all 10 cores running at a steady 5000 MHz. Idle temperatures and power consumption are minimal because the cores are spending 99% of their time in C7 at 0 MHz. Slowing the CPU down becomes pointless when the C states are enabled. 

image.png.ba7d1aba62c7f44f56380d96f4697d6a.png

Post a HWiNFO screenshot that shows what your turbo power limits are set to. An Intel CPU set to default values can cause power limit throttling which will reduce performance. Watch the limit reasons data in HWiNFO to check for any throttling reasons. 

I believe 4.6GHz is the out-of-the-box all-core frequency for the 9700K. So your CPU is working exactly as expected for stock performance with all 8 cores active.

As for why a GPU upgrade would make it run at 100% now, it's because the CPU has to work harder to keep up. Before, your old card wasn't generating frames as fast as the CPU could process them. Now, it can.

BF2042 is a highly CPU demanding game - especially for the max player count. It is very likely that you are totally maxing out the CPU to the point that it can't keep up with processing the game physics or managing the data to and from the server, resulting in that behavior. You may want to consider an FPS cap around 90fps or so to give the CPU some breathing room.

That, or you can try overclocking. Most 9700K CPUs can do a 5GHz all-core just fine, which is about an 8% boost. For my 9600K, going from 4.3 to 4.8GHz was surprisingly noticeable in CPU limited situations, although that is a slightly higher 11.5% increase.

11 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Post a HWiNFO screenshot that shows what your turbo power limits are set to. An Intel CPU set to default values can cause power limit throttling which will reduce performance. Watch the limit reasons data in HWiNFO to check for any throttling reasons. 

I'm not exactly sure what to look for (not that tech savy) but hopefully one of these is right 🙂 
Can you tell me anything from this or am i doing it wrong haha? 

Thanks for the detailed explanation though! 

1.jpg

2.jpg

Just now, YoungBlade said:

I believe 4.6GHz is the out-of-the-box all-core frequency for the 9700K. So your CPU is working exactly as expected for stock performance with all 8 cores active.

As for why a GPU upgrade would make it run at 100% now, it's because the CPU has to work harder to keep up. Before, your old card wasn't generating frames as fast as the CPU could process them. Now, it can.

BF2042 is a highly CPU demanding game - especially for the max player count. It is very likely that you are totally maxing out the CPU to the point that it can't keep up with processing the game physics or managing the data to and from the server, resulting in that behavior. You may want to consider an FPS cap around 90fps or so to give the CPU some breathing room.

That, or you can try overclocking. Most 9700K CPUs can do a 5GHz all-core just fine, which is about an 8% boost. For my 9600K, going from 4.3 to 4.8GHz was surprisingly noticeable in CPU limited situations, although that is a slightly higher 11.5% increase.

Really? I could've sworn that it ran with 3600mhz before the new GPU.. Must be mistaken then unless I misunderstood you.. 

Appreciate the response though! I'll try to cap at 90 or something.. The store I bought the GPU from just told me there's a bottleneck between the CPU and the GPU and that I should upgrade the CPU.. but I'll give your suggestions a shot first and maybe try overclocking just to see if gets a little bit better 🙂 

3 minutes ago, MattKier said:

Really? I could've sworn that it ran with 3600mhz before the new GPU.. 

That's the base clock, which is meaningless on modern CPUs.

The most simple reason for the CPU to never clock down is due to changing the power settings/plan in Windows or with motherboard software.

High res monitors can sometimes lock the graphics card at higher clocks (especially the memory), but it should not impact the CPU.

The most likely culprit, in my opinion, is malfunctioning  RGB software, but I don't know if the TUF even has any RGB.

31 minutes ago, Tetras said:

That's the base clock, which is meaningless on modern CPUs.

The most simple reason for the CPU to never clock down is due to changing the power settings/plan in Windows or with motherboard software.

High res monitors can sometimes lock the graphics card at higher clocks (especially the memory), but it should not impact the CPU.

The most likely culprit, in my opinion, is malfunctioning  RGB software, but I don't know if the TUF even has any RGB.

Appreciate the response! I haven't changed anything.. In fact I just did a fresh install of Windows and it's the same as before.. 
The TUF has some RGB but I don't have any RGB software installed atm so we can rule that out I think 🙂