Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

10 minutes ago, Velcade said:

*AHEM*

image.png.42f45ee326cd68602671c7d394106e3f.png

is that an i30N ? ?

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

3 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

is that an i30N ? ?

I guess you could call it America's i30N.  It's the Veloster N.  Fun little car to whip around.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Just now, Velcade said:

I guess you could call it America's i30N.  It's the Veloster N.  Fun little car to whip around.

shit, the front is nearly identical and i had forgotten about the veloster ... whoops 
but man, do the i30n look great (this one being a fancier version) .... and they are cheap for what you get 
image.png.a8fdd9caa56d082d4eb7652ae3351ad1.png
image.png.8dc0ec25918e0973457642f745b5e4ef.png

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Welp tsage 1 on my ecoboost make tires spin, feel like stage 2 shifted the torque no spiny, then stage 3 today spins tired through 2nd gear. Not sure cobb should suggest a intercooler over a down pipe for stage 2. Clearly that factory downpipe is more of a restriction then the inter-cooler. Im sure their egg heads designed it that way for a reason im just not seeing it here.

Edit: while I was under the car it amazed me how big the transmission was for the ecoboost. Transmissions almost as big as the engine itself lol XD

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

9 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Welp tsage 1 on my ecoboost make tires spin, feel like stage 2 shifted the torque no spiny, then stage 3 today spins tired through 2nd gear. Not sure cobb should suggest a intercooler over a down pipe for stage 2. Clearly that factory downpipe is more of a restriction then the inter-cooler. Im sure their egg heads designed it that way for a reason im just not seeing it here.

Edit: while I was under the car it amazed me how big the transmission was for the ecoboost. Transmissions almost as big as the engine itself lol XD

The reason is probably emissions and or parts sharing.

Just now, Bitter said:

The reason is probably emissions and or parts sharing.

Part sharing its the are transmission (slightly different gearing) from the GT just thought it was a little funny seeing a massive transmission for a 4 pot

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

2 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Part sharing its the are transmission (slightly different gearing) from the GT just thought it was a little funny seeing a massive transmission for a 4 pot

I meant the down pipe but probably that too. Pretty sure the trans in my GF's 1.6t Escape is as big as the engine too, Ford needs to have lots of parts inside to break so it's extra expensive to get rebuilt later. I hate Ford automatic transmissions.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

I meant the down pipe but probably that too. Pretty sure the trans in my GF's 1.6t Escape is as big as the engine too, Ford needs to have lots of parts inside to break so it's extra expensive to get rebuilt later. I hate Ford automatic transmissions.

Downpipe is bent different the other ecoboost engines. Trans is manual. Believe the escape uses the same transmission as the fusion not really a big trans but the engine is pretty small so makes sense. 

25 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Clearly that factory downpipe is more of a restriction then the inter-cooler. Im sure their egg heads designed it that way for a reason im just not seeing it  

I wonder if they advised it that way as the intercooler would help keep IATs lower. Yes of course the down pipe is still a restriction, but I wonder if keeping IATs lower helps with the tuning and making the tuning itself easier (as aggressive as they can without harming the engine). Like when you are really running the car hard IATs will rise and you will lose power compared to the down pipe where as heat rises you won’t lose power? Just a guess. 

My First (Current) Build:

Ryzen 7 2700 (3.90 1.35v OC) | Asus Prime X470 Pro | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16gb 3200 | Inland Professional 512gb M.2 NVME | Samsung 860 Evo Sata M.2 1TB | Corsair H115i Platinum | Corsair ML 140 RGB Fans | Fractal Design Meshify C | EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 13t Gem Cut (i7 8565u, 240gb, 8gb mem)

My Ride:

2015 VW Golf TDI Sportwagen

Eventually an XJ manual...

29 minutes ago, ProfBrown said:

I wonder if they advised it that way as the intercooler would help keep IATs lower. Yes of course the down pipe is still a restriction, but I wonder if keeping IATs lower helps with the tuning and making the tuning itself easier (as aggressive as they can without harming the engine). Like when you are really running the car hard IATs will rise and you will lose power compared to the down pipe where as heat rises you won’t lose power? Just a guess. 

True, though Cobb is very conservative with their tunes. ? Stock intercooler are pretty bad. My guess they probably thought temps would be too high for stage 2 with stock cooler. Though other companies tuned stage 2 with just intake and down pipe. Multiple good reasons for it but at the same time ??‍♀️ Can’t know for sure why they decided on it.

7 hours ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

True, though Cobb is very conservative with their tunes. ? Stock intercooler are pretty bad. My guess they probably thought temps would be too high for stage 2 with stock cooler. Though other companies tuned stage 2 with just intake and down pipe. Multiple good reasons for it but at the same time ??‍♀️ Can’t know for sure why they decided on it.

My friend matt’s original ecoboost — he Did an intercooler with the stage 1 tune, made a big difference. Thing would heat soak super easily. 

Still threw a rod a few months later though lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

My friend matt’s original ecoboost — he Did an intercooler with the stage 1 tune, made a big difference. Thing would heat soak super easily. 

Still threw a rod a few months later though lol

-knock on wood- Mine has been fine so far. Which tune did he go with?

9 hours ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

-knock on wood- Mine has been fine so far. Which tune did he go with?

it was just the cobb stage 1 afaik. He wasn't even on it much when it blew up according to him, was heading home after an event and all of a sudden kablamo and there was a window in the crankcase

He actually got some pics of the failed parts, it looked like one of the rod bolts may have loosened or was too loose from factory. Ford actually covered it under warranty. He then got rear ended like a month after he got the car back lol.

Few years went by, he missed the car so much, so he just got a GT350 about a week ago. Lol

09B701D0-1879-42DD-A1C8-938ABF330D6A.jpeg

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

it was just the cobb stage 1 afaik. He wasn't even on it much when it blew up according to him, was heading home after an event and all of a sudden kablamo and there was a window in the crankcase

He actually got some pics of the failed parts, it looked like one of the rod bolts may have loosened or was too loose from factory. Ford actually covered it under warranty. He then got rear ended like a month after he got the car back lol.

Few years went by, he missed the car so much, so he just got a GT350 about a week ago. Lol

09B701D0-1879-42DD-A1C8-938ABF330D6A.jpeg

Well thats too rich for my blood but good for him its a pretty sweet car. Some of the earlier ecoboosts had those issues thankfully ive been fine. Its like silicon lottery but for ecoboosts. idk lol Granted when I bought the ecoboost they had a whole 2 years to iron out tunes for it.

On 1/6/2020 at 12:53 AM, EZTutty said:

lol, i used to have a Turbo'ed 172 Cup i put together, but got rid of it for the evo.

IMAG0087.thumb.jpg.4660425aebd2a1d97d873d6d573d6550.jpg

must admit i do love the Gordini Clio´s more than the EVO, the natual aspirated engine is just awesome.

Was looking for the V6 rear engined version, found a great one for 6000 euro´s 4+ years back, but danish import taxes ended in +20.000 Euro´s and for such an old car, that was just a bit to much, and the V6 has driveshaft issues.. 

3 hours ago, RasmusDC said:

must admit i do love the Gordini Clio´s more than the EVO, the natual aspirated engine is just awesome.

Was looking for the V6 rear engined version, found a great one for 6000 euro´s 4+ years back, but danish import taxes ended in +20.000 Euro´s and for such an old car, that was just a bit to much, and the V6 has driveshaft issues.. 

6k for a Clio V6?!? Be mad to pass it up even with taxes now a days

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

37 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

6k for a Clio V6?!? Be mad to pass it up even with taxes now a days

well it was a longer time ago, they were cheap on mobile.de

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

On 1/12/2020 at 12:22 AM, MadyTehWolfie said:

Well thats too rich for my blood but good for him its a pretty sweet car. Some of the earlier ecoboosts had those issues thankfully ive been fine. Its like silicon lottery but for ecoboosts. idk lol Granted when I bought the ecoboost they had a whole 2 years to iron out tunes for it.

I've been running their stage 3 for the 2.0 Ecobbost for a while, but I need to get it custom tuned. The Turbosmart Blowoff valves starting to intermittently release the pressure when under a load above 2750RPM's (basically any time at highway speeds going up a small incline)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

9 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I've been running their stage 3 for the 2.0 Ecobbost for a while, but I need to get it custom tuned. The Turbosmart Blowoff valves starting to intermittently release the pressure when under a load above 2750RPM's (basically any time at highway speeds going up a small incline)

I think the 2.0L ecoboost is the best one. Or at least the most reliable one it seems. I never hear of any complaints of that engine itself.

Spoiler

8 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I think the 2.0L ecoboost is the best one. Or at least the most reliable one it seems. I never hear of any complaints of that engine itself.

You obviously havent seen the focus st owners page on facebook

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Not a fan of harleys but they were the first to release an electric bike. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

and you'd be right.

Spoiler

15 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

6 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

and you'd be right.

They're reliable but not bulletproof. Plenty of people have gotten serious power gains (350whp, up from 252) on stock internals, but beyond that you need to upgrade a lot of shit like pistons, cams, etc. Also not WOTing in 6th gear is important ;) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

7 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Compared to the reliability of other ecoboost engines they may as well be made by Toyota.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max