Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, IrshaadH said:

Guys, I need to change my brake light fluid. What's the best way to go about that?

pour brake fluid on the light in question, followed up with a spritz of brake cleaner.

(actually don't do this)

16 hours ago, IrshaadH said:

Guys, I need to change my brake light fluid. What's the best way to go about that?

15 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Theres generally a drain plug on them, and you can actually use blinker fluid to refill them, its interchangeable. 

Dont forget to check your tail light fluid! You hear people talk about headlight fluid, but your brake lights are on way longer! 

Be a smart car owner and check all your light fluids dont fall for this dumb shit ?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

6 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

@TVwazhere this made me think of you!

Spoiler

FB_IMG_1580237256075.jpg

If only it was 3rd and not 2nd! I think I could've live without 3rd. I'm also glad it's not completely shattered like that gear! ?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

5 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Dont forget to check your tail light fluid! You hear people talk about headlight fluid, but your brake lights are on way longer! 

Be a smart car owner and check all your light fluids dont fall for this dumb shit ?

Thanks for the advice.

Next on the to-do list is to replace my piston return springs. Anyone have advice on how to tackle that?

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

1 minute ago, Quibiss said:

Does the RS share the same gear ratio with the ST? If so, I'd rather get rid of 4th gear, 1st is fun, 2nd is excellent, 3rd is okay to get to highway speeds, and 4th feels way to tall. That's my main gripe about the driving feel of the focus. Handling is superb, acceleration and torque are also fun and adequate, but the tall gearing, don't know, I'd rather skip a few KPH maximum speed and go with some Rallye inspired gearing. 

I'm honestly not sure, though I wouldnt be surprised if they did. The gears do seem to be separate part numbers, so it's possible their ratio's are different. 

On 1/26/2020 at 9:33 PM, Bitter said:

So...Is that a real image you originally posted or what? It looks...weird.

no 

On 1/28/2020 at 4:09 PM, Quibiss said:

4th feels way to tall. 

I think you might haven mentioned your RS is a 2018 in a PM? In the mustang, they changed the gearing in 2018, so basically 5th became 4th...

Looks like Toyota is killing the RCF GT3 in order to phase in the LC.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

When it comes to buying a used car (Executive style, like Jags, Merc's etc.) what is considered "high millage"?

I've got a life goal of a Jag by my mid 30s (27 now) and i'm trying to educate myself as much as i can so that i have decent background knowledge for when it eventually happens

2 hours ago, Tomsta said:

When it comes to buying a used car (Executive style, like Jags, Merc's etc.) what is considered "high millage"?

I've got a life goal of a Jag by my mid 30s (27 now) and i'm trying to educate myself as much as i can so that i have decent background knowledge for when it eventually happens

that is difficult to say, it depends on  what the car was used for and how it was maintained more than the style of car, but diesels over here tend to have higher mileage than petrol cars on avg.
to me over in Europe id say around 15k km a year is about avg for a daily commuter car.

also a good tip at least in my opinion, sometimes higher mileage cars might seem like a worse idea but if you car sits for long periods of time .. it could be in a worse condition than a car that gets daily driven and gets regular repairs and maintenance done.

And we might need the help of @iDeFecZx regarding jags

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

4 hours ago, Tomsta said:

Avoid anything with an ingenium. TDV6 powered cars have issues with the cranks snapping at 100k+

The N/A petrols are pretty reliable, SC ones arent far behind but are significantly more prone to problems.

Majority of issues on older cars now tends to be wiring related.

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

6 hours ago, Tomsta said:

If its got a number besides 0 on the odometer, its high mileage.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

8 hours ago, Tomsta said:

Anything with less than 20,000 miles warranty left is high miles.

46 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Anything with less than 20,000 miles warranty left is high miles.

What's a warranty?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

4 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

What's a warranty?

The thing any European Luxury car needs to keep you from going broke fixing it.

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

The thing any European Luxury car needs to keep you from going broke fixing it.

Never had one of those

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 minute ago, RevoltTrain said:

Never had one of those

It's different if you can do your own work, but if you're reliant on a dealer or other shop then things add up FAST. $50 trans mount is a $200 repair once the parts markup and labor are done.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

It's different if you can do your own work, but if you're reliant on a dealer or other shop then things add up FAST. $50 trans mount is a $200 repair once the parts markup and labor are done.

A family member of mine had a Cadillac Catera, which is basically an Opel something-or-other, made in Germany. It had a $35 coolant bypass valve start leaking that made the car un-drive-able, No big deal, unless you follow the service manual, which calls for the removal of the transmission. It took some doing, but I managed to change the part out with just removing the windshield cowling and wiper gearbox. Outside of the clutch, there's no reason to remove the transmission in my car; A demonstration of the difference between a European design, and a Japanese one.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

7 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

A family member of mine had a Cadillac Catera, which is basically an Opel something-or-other, made in Germany. It had a $35 coolant bypass valve start leaking that made the car un-drive-able, No big deal, unless you follow the service manual, which calls for the removal of the transmission. It took some doing, but I managed to change the part out with just removing the windshield cowling and wiper gearbox. Outside of the clutch, there's no reason to remove the transmission in my car; A demonstration of the difference between a European design, and a Japanese one.

Not only that but even when sneaking it out the 'easy way' I'm sure it was still several hours of labor and at a shop that would have been an $80 valve and a $200-$300 in labor for a $300-400 repair. Compare to a Lexus or Acura heater valve labor time.

After a few months of the part sitting around, finally got the splitter properly bolted in. 100 mile drive with it on already and it hasn't moved a bit. 

New wheels coming on Monday, front sway bar and a modified CDV to install once I have access to a lift again. 

IMG_20200131_113840.thumb.jpg.8b65bcbab1f619ab0ff6f62dedc3c9d3.jpg

13 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Shop mate has a V12 Jag.

I have been renting at the shop for 6 years and have yet to see it move.

XJS?

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 hour ago, iDeFecZx said:

XJS?

honestly I don't even know. I think it's more decor now than car, broken and neglected.

God damn is this cool