Summer Folding Sprint 2024

Event Starts: June 24th (00:00 BST)

Ends: June 30th (23:59 BST)

https://forms.gle/WfGntGqbicNaFeXaA

This event will NOT be eligible for F@H event badges.

Follow this thread to keep up to date!

Please read the whole of this post before asking any questions and use the link/s provided at the end for help and support!

Minimum Participation Requirements For Prizes

7 Days with activity*, 100,000 Points & 14 WU

(*activity is defined as completing at least 1WU for the 24 hour period)

These must be met DURING the week of the event. Points produced before the start date do not count!

Prizes!!!

(possibly more to come)

Community donated prizes:

20 x Random Steam Keys - Donated by Community Chest

Draw: Random

When I did the first folding sprint, a five-day mid-week madness, I never thought it would become a regular thing, yet here we are. 

The folding sprint is on the one hand a nod to our few southern hemisphere members while also trying to help out the folding protect, who often see their processor count drop during the summer. The aim is simple, make as many points as you can for the week while trying to stay as cool as possible. Folding is an incredibly finicky software and is a great way to tell if your system is truly 100% per cent stable. 

Folding@home is a network of volunteer computers distributed around the world that aims to perform biomedical research with the single intent of helping to further understand and develop cures for a range of diseases such as; Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's. The exact research that is done is simulating the 'folding' of proteins in the body, this is important because the function of a protein is directly related to its physical shape. And this, when the protein is created in the body it needs to reshuffle its shape to get into the correct structure to perform its task. Many illnesses can be linked to faulty proteins in the body such as many cancers and neurological issues, along with a wide number of other general health concerns. 

If you are wondering what exactly has been done with all this computing power then you can check out the papers written by the scientists and researchers that use the folding network, I will warn you though many of them are very in-depth reads and in turn this means they are often fairly technical.

https://foldingathome.org/papers-results/

To qualify for prizes you must meet the minimum requirements for participation which for this event will be as follows minimum requirements: 100k points, 14WUs, and 7 days of activity over the course of the whole week. This means, you miss a day and you are out of the running. As always, this is subject to change for future events as we find out what the sweet spot is to include as many people as possible but not make it too easy to just get a free entry for prizes.

PASSKEYS! (they're really important)

Don't forget to get yourself a passkey from the link below to ensure that you hit the points requirement, the passkey is a feature that was added a while ago to the Folding Client that helps to authenticate each user on the network, an added bonus of this is the fact that it allows you to qualify for QRB(Quick Return Bonus) Points, QRBs are extra points you earn for submitting work units more quickly, such as if you have faster hardware or let the client fold full time, rather than on idle. QRB credit is awarded after 10 WUs have been submitted. You can get your passkey from the link below.

https://apps.foldingathome.org/getpasskey

This is just a PSA for the new guys here, the folding team is a small close-knit community, so here's a few things I'd like you all to keep in mind. It doesn't hurt to say thank you, if someone has genuinely helped you out don't forget to drop a reaction on their posts, help others where ever you can and finally we are a team first and always. 

Check your stats out here! Bear in mind it can take some time for your first WUs to appear so leave it a day or two.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/search.php

Please follow the guides below to help with set-up and troubleshooting.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Awesome!  Thanks @GOTSpectrum for hosting, can't wait for the event! This is a no badge event right?

5 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

To qualify for badges you must meet the minimum requirements for participation which for this event will be as follows minimum requirements: 100k points, 14WUs, and 7 days of activity over the course of the whole week. 

Just double checking because it mentions it just before the qualifications.

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs

Raspberry Pi 5 8GB, Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi Zero...I like Pi

Fractal North,ASRock Riptide B550, Ryzen 7 5700X, 6700XT with custom CPU/GPU loop.

2 hours ago, HoldSquat said:

Awesome!  Thanks @GOTSpectrum for hosting, can't wait for the event! This is a no badge event right?

Just double checking because it mentions it just before the qualifications.

No badges for sprints, but the requirements are for the prizes.  I'm sure he just didn't remove the badge portion from the event template.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to participate this year

ran out of credit on every cloud platform I have an account with…

Still open to helping with the organisation and stuff

"The most important step a man can take. It’s not the first one, is it?
It’s the next one. Always the next step, Dalinar."
–Chapter 118, Oathbringer, Stormlight Archive #3 by Brandon Sanderson

Older stuff:

Spoiler

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

7 hours ago, justpoet said:

No badges for sprints, but the requirements are for the prizes.  I'm sure he just didn't remove the badge portion from the event template.

Basically this 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Although my wife’s new Tesla is sucking all our ‘spare’ Kilowatts these days.    

I am In! 

Not much of a Gamer….. But I have thing about F@H that may be a little over the top.   See my builds here

4 hours ago, Mxyzptlk said:

Although my wife’s new Tesla is sucking all our ‘spare’ Kilowatts these days.    

I am In! 

i'm sure the missus can handle with a little range anxiety now and then 😉 

1 hour ago, RollinLower said:

i'm sure the missus can handle with a little range anxiety now and then 😉 

We consider ourselves lucky. She is a school teacher and the school has an EV charger onsite (actually 2, but one is broken!).  But she shares it with some other teachers too. So we can't only rely on that.  We take what we can get.   

If only I could use that EV Charger for Folding...!

Not much of a Gamer….. But I have thing about F@H that may be a little over the top.   See my builds here

21 minutes ago, Mxyzptlk said:

We consider ourselves lucky. She is a school teacher and the school has an EV charger onsite (actually 2, but one is broken!).  But she shares it with some other teachers too. So we can't only rely on that.  We take what we can get.   

sounds like a possible video idea tbh. some EVs like the F150 lightning or Kia EV6 can use their charge to power other stuff when parked. 
what if you charge your EV at work, and use it to fold at home? 🤔 Free PPD?

Personally i drive a PHEV with just enough electric range to cover my daily commute, so i can't really use the battery for anything else.

6 hours ago, Mxyzptlk said:

There was a guy a couple years ago that was a featured article because he had an old enough car to get free supercharger use, and he'd modded the car to run his bank of mining GPUs straight off of the car battery.

25 minutes ago, justpoet said:

There was a guy a couple years ago that was a featured article because he had an old enough car to get free supercharger use, and he'd modded the car to run his bank of mining GPUs straight off of the car battery.

I remember that lmfao.

Legend 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Despite this computer being loud as hell, I'm in!

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

MB: Asus H87M-PRO

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Cooling: 2x Delta GFB1212VHG with PWM

The daily rig:

CPU: Core i5 12500H

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR5-4800

GPU: RTX 3050 Ti mobile

PSU: 230W Power brick

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...

Hello!

Anyone know a good guide for how to fold on TrueNAS using docker/jails/VMs?

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

4 hours ago, will0hlep said:

Anyone know a good guide for how to fold on TrueNAS using docker/jails/VMs?

i don't know of a good guide other than the experience i have with it myself. 

What version are you running, scale or core?

49 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

i don't know of a good guide other than the experience i have with it myself. 

What version are you running, scale or core?

TrueNAS Core 13.0-U3.1

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

45 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

TrueNAS Core 13.0-U3.1

I think for Core (since that's not Debian based itself) it is easiest to just spin up a Ubuntu VM.
Once that is done, you can add your GPU to it (if any) with the "devices" option, and install F@H like you would on any other Ubuntu system.

- Download Ubuntu server from the official site, and then move the ISO onto the NAS somewhere. 
- Go to Virtual Machines then "add".
- Select Linux as your guest operating system and fill in the rest according to your system specs.
It's not recommended to overprovision on truenas, so keep the number of threads/cores below your actual thread/core count.
- You can create a Zvol before hand to use as your data disk for the VM, or you can create a new one in the "Disks" section of the installer.
- make sure to select the ISO you downloaded as your installation media

At this point, if you leave the network bind at 0.0.0.0 and you selected valid options it should spin up.
You can go to Virtual Machines again and expand the newly created Ubuntu VM you can click on "Devices" and add your GPU(s) to the Folding VM.

Now you can just install F@H as if it was a bare-metal Ubuntu machine.

@Gorgonmade a fantastic guide for the Linux part here:

Who's excited!!!

Going to be inviting the team to the pm chain tomorrow so the usual people and anyone who wishes to help. 

Just reply to me here

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

1 hour ago, GOTSpectrum said:

Who's excited!!!

Going to be inviting the team to the pm chain tomorrow so the usual people and anyone who wishes to help. 

Just reply to me here

Happy to help anytime before the event. I sent a dm about donating a prize.

6 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

pm chain

What's that?

English is not my first language, so please excuse any confusion or misunderstandings on my end.

I like to edit my posts a lot.

F@H-Stats

The Folding rig:

CPU: Core i7 4790K

RAM: 16 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

MB: Asus H87M-PRO

GPU 1: RTX 2070 Super

GPU 2: GTX 1060 3GB

PSU: Gigabyte P450B EVGA 600BR EVGA 750BR

Cooling: 2x Delta GFB1212VHG with PWM

The daily rig:

CPU: Core i5 12500H

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR5-4800

GPU: RTX 3050 Ti mobile

PSU: 230W Power brick

Linux let me down.

.- -- --- --. ..- ...

Hello!

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 5:04 PM, GOTSpectrum said:

To qualify for prizes you must meet the minimum requirements for participation which for this event will be as follows minimum requirements: 100k points, 14WUs, and 7 days of activity over the course of the whole week.

Do we need to have meet these requirements before we sign up, or just during the event? Oh, and, do I need to be in the LTT team or another team?

Edited by dabcg3
Forgot to ask a question