Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, dcgreen2k said:

Just got the new clutch in the Corolla today, and now we're putting everything back together. Does anybody know what kind of differential fluid I need to get, because I'm having trouble finding any real answers online.

year make model? I can look it up.

Just now, Bitter said:

year make model? I can look it up.

Thanks, but I figured it out eventually. Turns out the differential is connected with the transmission and isn't actually an isolated unit like I thought, so it takes regular manual transmission gear oil and fills from the same port as the transmission.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

This is one mess of an engine bay...

IMG_20190819_161419414_HDR.thumb.jpg.10cd1623911e3cbbb404cf1f2194731e.jpg

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC:

6 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

You're probably best taking it to a garage then. 

6 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Nope

“Should I do x job” 

This isn’t something you think about. You either just buy all ten parts and yolo it or you don’t and bring it to a shop. 

Thats the best way to learn at least LOL

but seriously I never really thought much about it... just jumped right in. I couldn’t be a mechanic I mess up on stuff a lot but it gets done at least 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 8/18/2019 at 7:51 AM, Bitter said:

https://www.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPag...mp;g=04RK03K90B KillBoy
https://www.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPag...mp;g=0QAK03G803 129photos

Some shots of the group from yesterday, most of the cars are...rough...to be kind to them and most are from the 6th gen Celica Facebook group and not from the 6GC.net forums. The quality of vehicle between FB and forum is pretty staggering, then again the quality of content between FB and forums is also...anyway. My black 7th gen is easy to spot, it's the only black 7th gen and it looks SUPER boring going around corners because my suspension is sort of set up correctly or something. No drama with sliding, tire squealing, lifting tires, etc. except a couple instances and the car is SO SO SO easy to get back on track after a little under steer or the back end wants to come out a little bit. The Dunlop Z2 tires communicate VERY well and my setup is fairly forgiving and easy to control, you have to be doing something stupid to get into trouble with it. There was one spot where I had let a pair of very fast bikes pass me on a pull off and then I got into it hard to see if I could keep up through a sharp inside banked hairpin and some switch backs. I could keep up going down to the hairpin but in the hairpin I lifted an inside rear tire I think and then in the switch backs I just didn't try to keep up I just went back to racing myself. On the way up I managed to get my trans hot and it was flashing a warning light at me but didn't put me into limp mode or put on the A/T oil temp light. I guess I'll finally install that trans cooler! The car performed exactly like I anticipated that it would, crippled by the lack of gears but tearing it up in the curves anyway.  Zero issues with my brakes, of course. I kept them warm but never felt any fade, I wasn't using them hard except sporadically.

do you ever wish you had the 6 speed?

On 8/18/2019 at 3:12 PM, bcredeur97 said:

In my Miata shifting is way smoother and easier when the A/C is off. Especially when I got the light flywheel I notice it more. 

So I can see why that’s beneficial 

the RPMs in the accord drop like a rock when the AC compressor is on. You have to drive completely differently to not lurch all over the place.

10 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Sadly that V10 is being used, and it would make for a really ugly swap. That's not exactly a sexy V10.

still sounds awesome though.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Quick 2 questions. Say you had edit:want to spend $22k and wanted the safety associated with SUVs, but also a fun driving experience with good acceleration / steering, would you go for a Crossover?

I've been eyeing both the CX-3 and HR-V but since I'm still about a year from having the money for a car, I want to get some good opinions and make a good purchase. I'm open to everything really, if you give a good argument that a Miata is the best car for me considering I don't have plans to get a family still in some time, I'll consider it :D

EDIT 2: Keep in mind I live in Mexico where prices are generally a bit lower (I already adjusted my budget), but variations exist and not all models from the US are available.

Second Question: Thoughts on this car?

Spoiler

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

9 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Yep that's the post. Still a lot to do (and buy) which is why I ended up doing the head gasket on the old motor. Runs great but now I'm running into a clutch or transmission issue, replacing the clutch slave did nothing and replacing the transmission oil made it shift a lot smoother but it still doesn't let me go into gear at first startup which is super odd.

5 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

couldn’t be a mechanic I mess up on stuff a lot but it gets done at least 

Aye but if you mess up a timing belt change then you can destroy your engine. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

27 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Aye but if you mess up a timing belt change then you can destroy your engine. 

I still remember doing my first timing belt on a customers 3.0 V6 XF

Was so relieved when it turned over perfectly

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

@bcredeur97 @chaozbandit

edit:

IG really potato's the vid... here's a youtube vid

edit 2:

I guess quality isn't all that much different...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

I've finally hit an impass with my Focus ST transmission.... My only option is to have it shipped to someone who will actually do the rebuild for me. 

Anyone know the best way to ship a transmission? Most likely by small pallet jack, though I've seen some people assemble cardboard boxes and use regular ground shipping which I'm not too keen on. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

11 hours ago, FuzzyYellow said:

do you ever wish you had the 6 speed?

Yes and no. Yes for the better performance. No because traffic, tight gates make the early C60 easy to misshift, the early C60 syncros are of low quality, and getting a C60 that's not shot to shit that works right is very hard to do, rebuilding isn't cheap either. At 135K if I had the C60 the syncros would be ready to be replaced probably the second time, they last about 60K under spirited driving. My auto, while substantially slower is also substantially more robust, proven to hold crazy power with just additional cooling and proven to last a long long time. I wish I just had one more gear between 1st and 2nd is all.

Also the auto GTS's are in WAY less beat to shit condition that the 6spds are. I got this with 85K in basically perfect mechanical order, I don't think it was hardly ever driven hard just a commuter car that the owner wanted leather and a sunroof so they got the GTS.

And the auto GTS is super rare so in the future it'll be even more of an oddity. I'm going to work on getting my trans cooler installed before it's put away for the year so I can beat it hard without getting the trans too hot next time. It's no slouch, it's just not real fast.

30 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I've finally hit an impass with my Focus ST transmission.... My only option is to have it shipped to someone who will actually do the rebuild for me. 

Anyone know the best way to ship a transmission? Most likely by small pallet jack, though I've seen some people assemble cardboard boxes and use regular ground shipping which I'm not too keen on. 

On a pallet build a crate around it like a miniature house. Use a couple small old tires inside to take up gaps and have it tied down with ratchet straps. Wrap the whole thing in multiple layers of plastic pallet wrap. Insert plugs into any holes and caps over any electrical connectors. Fluid MUST be fully drained to ship it,if it leaks the carrier can charge you cleanup and environmental fees!

Oh hello

I am new to "car mods", and always been on the stock side of things

looking to get one for daily use and mod then i came down to either a

Mitsubishi EX 2.0/EVO X

Civic FD2/FD1

my plan is to work on the exhaust first then the handling in general.

My question then :

1. Are exhaust systems the same as hardtubing?
  2. Which car is better at performance per efficiency?

Thank you car enthusiasts

#dualrearexit

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Need quick opinions on tires. Falken ZIEX ZE950s (45k mi warranty) for $755 or Continental DWS06s (50k mi warranty) for $907? 

EDIT: Bent over and ordered the Continental DWS06s and an alignment for just shy of $1000. That was fun...

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Finally got the engine back together, but it's idling pretty rough. I found a forum post that said it might be because the battery was disconnected for a while and the car has to relearn how to idle. Does anybody know what else it could be if that doesn't work?

Daily Driver:

Gaming PC:

16 minutes ago, dcgreen2k said:

Finally got the engine back together, but it's idling pretty rough. I found a forum post that said it might be because the battery was disconnected for a while and the car has to relearn how to idle. Does anybody know what else it could be if that doesn't work?

Vacuum leaks, check engine vacuum.

2 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Need quick opinions on tires. Falken ZIEX ZE950s (45k mi warranty) for $755 or Continental DWS06s (50k mi warranty) for $907? 

EDIT: Bent over and ordered the Continental DWS06s and an alignment for just shy of $1000. That was fun...

You made the right choice.

13 hours ago, Energycore said:

Quick 2 questions. Say you had edit:want to spend $22k and wanted the safety associated with SUVs, but also a fun driving experience with good acceleration / steering, would you go for a Crossover?

I've been eyeing both the CX-3 and HR-V but since I'm still about a year from having the money for a car, I want to get some good opinions and make a good purchase. I'm open to everything really, if you give a good argument that a Miata is the best car for me considering I don't have plans to get a family still in some time, I'll consider it :D

EDIT 2: Keep in mind I live in Mexico where prices are generally a bit lower (I already adjusted my budget), but variations exist and not all models from the US are available.

Second Question: Thoughts on this car?

Hide contents

I love most if not all Koenigseggs ... the Agera R with the 1WW engine is probably my favorite car ever 

Jesko looks interesting and seems to be quite a huge improvement over Regera 

regarding your 1st question ... i have no clue :D 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

59 minutes ago, Bitter said:

You made the right choice.

I hope so, I was really hoping it would be closer to $800, but it seems like everything I do ends up more expensive than initially though.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

3 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I was gonna say the DWS06's have served both me and my dad quite well for dailying.

But in terms of cost per mile, the falken's were $0.0167 and Conti's were $0.018. I'm not sure which is the better tire though. The conti dws06's have been around for quite a few years now.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

15 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I was gonna say the DWS06's have served both me and my dad quite well for dailying.

But in terms of cost per mile, the falken's were $0.0167 and Conti's were $0.018. I'm not sure which is the better tire though. The conti dws06's have been around for quite a few years now.

I knew the Contis came out a bit more per mile, but after a bit of digging I found a few people who went from the Falkens to the Contis but no one that I could find went from the Contis to the Falkens.

Tires will be in next week, so until then I'm driving the Motorcycle and girlfriends Pontiac G6, the ST is going to hang out in the garage until next week.

1 hour ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Does anyone know what year is legal for import Skyline R34 GTR into U.S.?

IIRC R33 are starting to be legal in USA now ... so it will be a few years 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

1 hour ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Does anyone know what year is legal for import Skyline R34 GTR into U.S.?

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h