Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

6 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Not sure on the Lotus, but his radical has done a 1:42

thats cheating... :D 

a friend of mine has a stockish Viper who's goal is a 42 which would make him the fastest door slammer... or at least that we can find vids of...  there are a bunch of GT3's and GT2's that go that never post up their vids so we're not sure how fast they run.  his current best is a 44.

and I'm struggling in the 2's... current best is a 2:01 :( 

same viper guy did a 1:58 on a very similar setup on his NC... but he did have stickier tires... so thats my excuse... also he's been tracking and racing a lot longer than I have :D

viper vid

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

1 hour ago, PandaCopyRight said:

CALLED IT!!!! 

what? why in the hell would i have a 1st gen allroad? 

Panda, you have no reason to be ashamed of liking the 2.7tt, it's okay. ?

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

40 minutes ago, IKnight said:

Panda, you have no reason to be ashamed of liking the 2.7tt, it's okay. ?

it was more of a ... why the ugly gen? and the fucking factory air suspension ... jesus ... 

it would be a last resort of a car .... cause awd and audi... and wagon ... 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

14 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

it was more of a ... why the ugly gen? and the fucking factory air suspension ... jesus ... 

it would be a last resort of a car .... cause awd and audi... and wagon ... 

It's like the perfect car tbh. Air suspension is pretty nice to have. When it works... 

Awd+Audi+Wagon is looove. And the 2.7tt ;)

DI6eaI8XUAEQvnE (1).jpg_large

Theres one from the @terrytekschool of stance.

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

47 minutes ago, IKnight said:

It's like the perfect car tbh. Air suspension is pretty nice to have. When it works... 

Awd+Audi+Wagon is looove. And the 2.7tt ;)

DI6eaI8XUAEQvnE (1).jpg_large

Theres one from the @terrytekschool of stance.

sadly 99% of the time it never worked ... so the cars always looked slammed and its overly expensive to fix ... 

a set of good coil overs cost less than the rear air suspension on them things ... hell, you could get a whole new car for a set of the air suspension 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

14 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

sadly 99% of the time it never worked ... so the cars always looked slammed and its overly expensive to fix ... 

a set of good coil overs cost less than the rear air suspension on them things ... hell, you could get a whole new car for a set of the air suspension 

Not really. eBay parts are kinda cheap. Tho I'm sceptical of the quality... 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=174088&_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m4084.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xc5+allroad.TRS0&_nkw=c5+allroad+air+suspension

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

2 hours ago, IKnight said:

the OEM stuff already sucks ... no way in hell im trusting some cheap ebay shit .... 

@warmmilk Stim Tech at it again

Gooooo Canadaaaa

The car is already wearing carbon panels from Spage Sports and recently has gotten a carbon roof skin and rear deck.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Well unfortunately the motor currently in the Miata is not doing so hot, blew the head gasket (in that case it is doing hot, pun intended). I'm pretty sure it blew when I first got the car, one of the little bypass hoses split open and leaked all the coolant out before I even got home, only time it's ever overheated. Fixed the leaks and have been driving it for almost a year, but it's starting to get pretty bad, spark plugs are getting fouled up, losing oil and coolant; if it wasn't running on borrowed time before it certainly is now.

Luckily I got a head set and timing belt for less than $50, machine shop will deck the head for $40 so I figure why not if I'm into the job less than $100. There's other problems with the motor but the head gasket is pretty much the main issue right now. Certainly gives me more time to finish the built turbo motor which is all I really need.

4 hours ago, byalexandr said:

Well unfortunately the motor currently in the Miata is not doing so hot, blew the head gasket (in that case it is doing hot, pun intended). I'm pretty sure it blew when I first got the car, one of the little bypass hoses split open and leaked all the coolant out before I even got home, only time it's ever overheated. Fixed the leaks and have been driving it for almost a year, but it's starting to get pretty bad, spark plugs are getting fouled up, losing oil and coolant; if it wasn't running on borrowed time before it certainly is now.

Luckily I got a head set and timing belt for less than $50, machine shop will deck the head for $40 so I figure why not if I'm into the job less than $100. There's other problems with the motor but the head gasket is pretty much the main issue right now. Certainly gives me more time to finish the built turbo motor which is all I really need.

the heads on these cars warp really easily as the temp gauge stays in the default position till 227F. (it's uber important as soon as you see that thing move a millimeter from normal to turn the car off asap) so def get it checked and hopefully all it needs is to be decked.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

7 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

@warmmilk Stim Tech at it again

Gooooo Canadaaaa

The car is already wearing carbon panels from Spage Sports and recently has gotten a carbon roof skin and rear deck.

having owned an RSX...

giphy.gif

they should do that same stuff on some other car that doesn't have minivan front suspension

that being said, I dig the RSCamino

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

I was wondering why there were no 4 door convertibles, then saw this picture and realized why. Bet it handles great with a nice stiff chassis...

https://images.app.goo.gl/Z7uRoeazU95wJUN36.jpg

10624980-1966-lincoln-continental-4-door

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I've finally found some new rims for the Corolla, they're 17inch alloys from a Subaru, not sure what model though. The guy I'm buying them from is selling them for super cheap, and I'm excited to see how they'll look on the Corolla.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Still thinking about getting an NA miata... Bad idea to replace my Impreza with a $4000 miata while living in the Northeast?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

57 minutes ago, spwath said:

Still thinking about getting an NA miata... Bad idea to replace my Impreza with a $4000 miata while living in the Northeast?

rust is your biggest issue. Miata's are fun.. but they have rust problems.. really a car you should keep away from the salt as much as you can.

It's really much better as spring/summer/fall weekend car. that's where you'll enjoy it the most.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

rust is your biggest issue. Miata's are fun.. but they have rust problems.. really a car you should keep away from the salt as much as you can.

It's really much better as spring/summer/fall weekend car. that's where you'll enjoy it the most.

Yeah, I suppose. Ill keep my impreza for now. Maybe wait until after college when I can have more than 1 car.

Folding@Home | BOINC

21 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

the heads on these cars warp really easily as the temp gauge stays in the default position till 227F. (it's uber important as soon as you see that thing move a millimeter from normal to turn the car off asap) so def get it checked and hopefully all it needs is to be decked.

With MLS head gaskets (which our cars come with) it's basically standard practice anyway to resurface the head if a new head gasket is required. MLS is very sensitive to even minor .0015" warpage, where as an organic head gasket would still seal at .003" warpage.

But yeah the car shut off by itself from overheating the one time it did. I've seen it come close a couple times sitting in the drive thru line but I always shut the car off if that happens. The one time it did overheat I was so close to my shop that I kept pushing it, when I should've towed it and not have to deal with this now lol.

But it's been going for a year now with the head gasket like that so not bad, good thing it'll cost less than $90 to fix lol

17 hours ago, spwath said:

i am not sure if you should do that ... but i would stay away miatas .... if you get snow .... or any mazda in that case ?

I drive to Walmart ONCE and my wheels are dirty.

Ok so I was scrubbing the rust off the brakes with the brakes and getting the rotors up around 300F to rebed the pads but still ? RIP clean wheels. I'll keep taking shots of the dirt progression lol.

IMG_20190814_202247.jpg

Its reunion time

Folding@Home | BOINC

Lol not even any hard stops, just casual. LOL but these pads are so worth the dust, they actually dust less with hard use when they're hot. Pad film and science and stuff.

IMG_20190816_085437.jpg