Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

"Don't fall off"

they list the crusing speed for the Black Shadow as 100mph too :P if you fuck up you die reall bad because there was basically no safty gear either

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

@TVwazhere, or anyone else really, ever use one of the 3D SpaceMice before? These came up in a conversation in my office this morning and now we're considering ordering half a dozen to try out. 

https://www.3dconnexion.com/products/spacemouse/spacemousepro.html

41eMf4rEkaL._SX425_.jpg

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

@TVwazhere, or anyone else really, ever use one of the 3D SpaceMice before? These came up in a conversation in my office this morning and now we're considering ordering half a dozen to try out. 

https://www.3dconnexion.com/products/spacemouse/spacemousepro.html

I personally have not, I use a standard 3 button mouse, plus 2 shoulder buttons (A M510) from logitech. Though if you're going to take the plunge, I would suggest looking at the cut down version first:

Amazon link it's basically just the central knob without the macros/buttons. 

I've considered these mice but I'm not sure how useful it would be for myself. Sadly I dont as much 3D work as I'd personally like, its a majority 2D

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I personally have not, I use a standard 3 button mouse, plus 2 shoulder buttons (A M510) from logitech. Though if you're going to take the plunge, I would suggest looking at the cut down version first:

Amazon link it's basically just the central knob without the macros/buttons. 

I've considered these mice but I'm not sure how useful it would be for myself. Sadly I dont as much 3D work as I'd personally like, its a majority 2D

I'm a macro whore, so we first saw that basic one, then the more complex offerings and those really made my head explode. 

There is another one with 31 buttons, but it's $400 and my CFO is only so understanding. 

IDK, I might push the issue on the 15 button model and make out an expense report... I spend a ton of my day in 3D models, probably 2/3rds or so. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

11 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

or anyone else really, ever use one of the 3D SpaceMice before? These came up in a conversation in my office this morning and now we're considering ordering half a dozen to try out. 

A friend gave me one that he won a few years ago. Couldn't get drivers working in Windows so I ended up giving it back.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Real_PhillBert said:

IDK, I might push the issue on the 15 button model and make out an expense report... I spend a ton of my day in 3D models, probably 2/3rds or so. 

Then the Macro version might serve you better. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

A friend gave me one that he won a few years ago. Couldn't get drivers working in Windows so I ended up giving it back.

Interesting, all the reviews I could find were based on windows computers, so that's a little odd. 

4 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

yeah i bet you want these macros yeah you filthy macro whore

*SNIP*

Dude, you have no idea. I kick myself for not buying the previous gen K95 that had all the macros, now it's down to six and hardly worth my time. 

I've thought very hard about buying a Deathadder just for the extra keys to use as macros. 

If Das Keyboard would make a Das Pro with 18 macros, I wouldn't be able to throw my money at them fast enough. 

9 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Dude, you have no idea. I kick myself for not buying the previous gen K95 that had all the macros, now it's down to six and hardly worth my time. 

I've thought very hard about buying a Deathadder just for the extra keys to use as macros. 

If Das Keyboard would make a Das Pro with 18 macros, I wouldn't be able to throw my money at them fast enough. 

I like my mice fairly simple:
3 buttons, and two side buttons for forward/back in browsers/menus. all I need

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I like my mice fairly simple:
3 buttons, and two side buttons for forward/back in browsers/menus. all I need

I have a Corsair M95. All the buttons. 

41MW7pOi9sL.jpg

54 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

tools.png.224fdffce893ff33ee95ca4bf8c4b641.png

I shared that on facebook a few months ago. still makes me laugh. That's me trying to get the LCAs out of the accord this past summer.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

1 hour ago, MEC-777 said:

tools.png.224fdffce893ff33ee95ca4bf8c4b641.png

That's about to be me weekend. The OE shocks on the front aren't being cooperative. The nut is seized on the stud and just spins, I've tried hand tools, impact tools, heat, chemicals and many combinations thereof. 

40 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I have a Corsair M95. All the buttons. 

41MW7pOi9sL.jpg

looks neat, if it had the logitech super scroll id probably really want one but right now its not looking like il ever move away from my G502 unless it breaks and i cant find another one anywhere

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

cries in over 6$ a gallon 

small diesels are awesome 

also does the peugeot have the same engine as the volvo V50? the 2.0D 

and how are those engines? 

It’s a 2.0 HDi, but I think Volvo use the same, they are made by Ford. Pretty powerful, has 100KW, but can usually (Apparently) make quite a bit more. Has around 350nm torque. 

You can can get them chipped for +30 hp, from 135, and to 440nm torque, or so I’ve read. 

Its not not a bad engine but if you’re looking for a car with one make sure it has a turbo, the ones without are only ~90hp.

22 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

It’s a 2.0 HDi, but I think Volvo use the same, they are made by Ford. Pretty powerful, has 100KW, but can usually (Apparently) make quite a bit more. Has around 350nm torque. 

You can can get them chipped for +30 hp, from 135, and to 440nm torque, or so I’ve read. 

Its not not a bad engine but if you’re looking for a car with one make sure it has a turbo, the ones without are only ~90hp.

Its not a ford engine is peugeots engine. Ford use it and just call it the tdci

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

11 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I really would like a V50, and the 2.0D is the most common one here ... hence why im doing the research :D 

Sounds like the 2.0 is a pretty good engine with it being 100kw and 340nm in the V50

how is the fuel economy in your pug? and are there any common problems with them engines? 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

57 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Its not a ford engine is peugeots engine. Ford use it and just call it the tdci

It’s made by PSA with Peugeot/Citeron and Ford, and used in their vehicles and BMW.

52 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

I really would like a V50, and the 2.0D is the most common one here ... hence why im doing the research :D 

Sounds like the 2.0 is a pretty good engine with it being 100kw and 340nm in the V50

how is the fuel economy in your pug? and are there any common problems with them engines? 

Fuel economy isn’t bad I get around 800km on a full tank with still left spare. It does have a tiny problem that it sometimes doesn’t start, but it’s just due to bad previous work. Still goes strong at 217k, I’m keeping it till 300k.

On 11/12/2018 at 7:53 PM, Drak3 said:

My sweet summer child.

For every known problem, there are two unknown ready to crop up.

Just a few days ago, I replaced a leaking vacuum hose on the Saab, only to be greeted with what sounded like a broken throttle body. Fortunately it was yet ANOTHER vacuum hose that was fucked. Needless to say, I'll replace all of the vacuum lines when the car comes back from the mechanic, let's see what else is broken and covered up by those.

47 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

It does have a tiny problem that it sometimes doesn’t start, but it’s just due to bad previous work. 

Are you sure this isn't just because it's a Peugeot?

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

11 minutes ago, sirtoby said:

Just a few days ago, I replaced a leaking vacuum hose on the Saab, only to be greeted with what sounded like a broken throttle body. Fortunately it was yet ANOTHER vacuum hose that was fucked. Needless to say, I'll replace all of the vacuum lines when the car comes back from the mechanic, let's see what else is broken and covered up by those.

I long ago tried to stem the bleeding by replacing only the part that needed doing.

I now replace all the things in the vicinity of what I'm working on. Costs more, takes more time, but man it is satisfying to have all new whatever it is-- hoses, vacuum lines, bolts, nuts, fittings, bushings, etc. Replacing one at a time always means a few months later another one goes.

Then again, I have a mountain of while-i'm-in-theres stockpiled for both m3s, and I've run out of motivation to wrench because the jobs both cars need suuuuuuuuuuuuck.

20 minutes ago, sirtoby said:

Are you sure this isn't just because it's a Peugeot?

No it has a very small air leak in the fuel line

Just now, RorzNZ said:

No it has a very small air leak in the fuel line

Ah, I see. I haven't had the best experience with them, but if yours runs fine then who am I to judge...

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

Just saw a Scion xB, which wouldn't be very interesting had the owner not replaced the xB with the word "Brick".

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

18 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

Just saw a Scion xB, which wouldn't be very interesting had the owner not replaced the xB with the word "Brick".

My cousin owned one for a few years, and he had this sticker on the back window:

465-scion-xb-gen-2-aerodyna.jpg

2 hours ago, sirtoby said:

Ah, I see. I haven't had the best experience with them, but if yours runs fine then who am I to judge...

Instead of being good cars by speed, traction or acceleration, Peugeot are surprising. 

1 hour ago, RorzNZ said:

Instead of being good cars by speed, traction or acceleration, Peugeot are surprising. 

oh look, it broke. *is surprised*

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1