Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

When you are using Windex to clean surfaces other then windows.

?

90px-Original_windex.jpg

ocean fresh blue, sunshine lemon and citrus orange) and fragrances (spring bouquet, ocean mist, lavender and tea tree), with a number of additives such as vinegar, lemon, lime, or orange juice.

one of which is 4.0% isopropyl alcohol, 1% ethylene glycol monobutyl ether, 0.1% sodium lauryl sulfate (a surfactant), calcium (Ca) 0.01%, tetrasodium pyrophosphate (a water softener), 0.05% of 28% ammonia, 1% of a dye solution, and 0.01% perfume. This formula was not only inexpensive to manufacture but allowed the product to be packaged in glass bottles and dispensed with a plastic sprayer.[citation needed] In 1989, Windex was a 5% ammonia solution.[5] The product was reformulated in 2006.[6] In 2009, S.C. Johnson started publishing ingredients for all of its products, including Windex.[7] The S.C. Johnson website lists Windex's ingredients as water, 2-hexoxyethanol, isopropanolamine, sodium dodecylbenzene sulfonate, lauramine oxide, ammonium hydroxide, fragrance, and Liquitint sky blue dye.

https://autodeets.com/best-auto-glass-cleaner-reviews/

Invisible Glass Premium Glass Cleaner -

to filmy

3M 08888 Glass Cleaner

4 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Is the down pipe stock? Cause aftermarket catted pipes are almost always more expensive than catless, for obvious reasons

Yea its stock

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

7 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

@thegreengamers How are you controlling what temp the engine starts at?

We've actually been getting a really consistent 50F ambient temp lately, and even if the starting temperature is different, I can shift the graphs so that they have the same starting temperature, since they're both creating heat at a constant rate until it levels out at 80C. All I'm really looking for is the slope of the graph created from the data, so it should be fine anyways.

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

9 hours ago, terrytek said:

i really was dumbfounded by the fact that a car that new had such a backwards transmission technology. now the new ones have CVTs which idk is worse or better, but 4 speeds was definitely inadequate as hell. should've gone with the 6 speed stick.

i was still put off by the bland looks of the elantra, but this corolla definitely leaves a lot to be desired. the only thing that really separates it from run of the mill corollas were the 18 inch TRD wheels but even those seem like a dealer installed option.

CVT will be better, technically, but sound worse, lol. 

At the time I was looking (late 2012), that style of Elantra was all new from 2011 and IMO was one of the better-looking cars in that segment. I still like the way it looks 6 years later. The package pricing is what really did it for me though. None of the other manufacturer's dealers could offer me the features I wanted for even the sticker price of the Elantra GLS model. And then the Hyundai reduced that even more and threw in a full set of snow tires on steel rims to sweeten the deal. ;) 

My only regret is a I should have gone with the hatchback instead, but they were a brand new model and more money at the time. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

was watching this:

and there was a blurb where he mentioned that Mazda killed off multi link rear suspension in favor of torsion beam. I really didn't believe it, and then I found this:

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/2019-mazda-3-to-adopt-torsion-beam-rear-suspension-for-refinement-58696

All to allegedly reduce NVH, which I think is complete bullshit. The new Accord has multi link and has the least NVH of sub luxury sedans I've driven. The new Corolla hatch and Civics have adopted multi link, and I think the Hyundai offerings have as well. Essentially confirms to me that Mazda is slowly giving up on making good handling cars.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

11 hours ago, terrytek said:

now the new ones have CVTs which idk is worse or better

If set up to mimick an automatic transmition's gear shifts, they're definitely not better in any way. You lose the advantage that CVTs have.

Set up as originally intended, they're more efficient but most people agree that these CVTs are alot less fun to drive.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

46 minutes ago, vetali said:

was watching this:

-snip-

and there was a blurb where he mentioned that Mazda killed off multi link rear suspension in favor of torsion beam. I really didn't believe it, and then I found this:

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/2019-mazda-3-to-adopt-torsion-beam-rear-suspension-for-refinement-58696

All to allegedly reduce NVH, which I think is complete bullshit. The new Accord has multi link and has the least NVH of sub luxury sedans I've driven. The new Corolla hatch and Civics have adopted multi link, and I think the Hyundai offerings have as well. Essentially confirms to me that Mazda is slowly giving up on making good handling cars.

It’s also cheaper to produce as well... I’m betting that factored in a lot too.

this stinks tho. They are usually known for making all their cars somewhat enjoyable to drive but I guess that’s dying. 

Along with laguna seca not being mazda branded anymore. Rip Mazda motorsports

at least we have the Miata still. How long is the question tho? They probably don’t make much money with it

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

26 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

at least we have the Miata still. How long is the question tho? They probably don’t make much money with it

Probably not past this generation. Shareholders are pressuring automakers to kill off or reduce production of non "SUVs". Toyota announced they are reducing sedan production, Honda likely will soon. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Probably not past this generation. Shareholders are pressuring automakers to kill off or reduce production of non "SUVs". Toyota announced they are reducing sedan production, Honda likely will soon. 

fuck the shareholders. 

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Quite the opposite. With Ford discontinuing sales of most sedans by 2020, Toyota will likely do the same with their trucks, and possibly larger SUVs, there’s been talk about it IIRC, since in the US, Ford sells mostly larger vehicles, and Toyota sells mostly smaller, since the big 3 are the dominant forces in truck sales

edit: they discontinued single cab trucks

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

7 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Quite the opposite. With Ford discontinuing sales of most sedans by 2020, Toyota will likely do the same with their trucks, and possibly larger SUVs, there’s been talk about it IIRC, since in the US, Ford sells mostly larger vehicles, and Toyota sells mostly smaller, since the big 3 are the dominant forces in truck sales

wait since when were there talk toyota would discontinue some of their larger vehicles? they're almost like bread and butter here too, like they sell very well still. the tacoma seems very popular compared to other options, and the tundra is still a very capable truck despite lacking some things the big 3 have.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

6 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-15/toyota-slows-camry-production-as-u-s-demand-for-sedans-craters

and toyota is a strong brand for trucks as well. I can’t say anything about honda specifically until they do so publicly, but expect a huge shift in their production numbers. Cars will continue to taper off until the next gas crisis when manufacturers can market cars as fuel efficient, despite them not being significantly more efficient than the crossover brethren. 

Crossovers *shudders* 

Hm. Must have just been speculation I read about then, but the Ford piece is true. Just imagine a world without the Taurus SHO. Someone’s gotta fill the gap for sedans and it sure as hell won’t be GM or FCA lol

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

2 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Crossovers *shudders* 

Hm. Must have just been speculation I read about then, but the Ford piece is true. Just imagine a world without the Taurus SHO. Someone’s gotta fill the gap for sedans and it sure as hell won’t be GM or FCA lol

GM and FCA are getting pressure from shareholders to pull out of sedans too. GM being more resilient, with Fiat highly likely to stop selling their cars in North America. Thank god. 

I’d expect a ceo changeup at GM soon. Their trucks are keeping them afloat. The 19 silverados have been met with very mixed reactions to the point where GM is rumored to sell the 18s and 19s side by side next year

33 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Doubt it, maybe in the US, but the larger Toyotas sell pretty well. 

53 minutes ago, terrytek said:

fuck the shareholders. 

ppl want to make money. money > everything else

even fun, apparently.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

23 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

ppl want to make money. money > everything else

even fun, apparently.

so it's basically greedy rich fucks that are ruining the car industry for us.

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

no, it's basically most people don't want, and therefore buy the things that you want, so manufacturers have no incentive to make them. 

if you want sports cars to stay around, they need to bought in high numbers, brand new. that's how it works.

It's really entitled to think that car manufacturers owe you fun cars. they don't owe you squat. want a fun car? make it worth their time and money to develop. 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

54 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Doubt it, maybe in the US, but the larger Toyotas sell pretty well. 

Yeah this is all USDM

20 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Yeah pretty much. That’s probably why Toyota was out of the performance car industry for so long. Only took them 20 years to bring a successor to the Supra around (in the US, less in Japan), and even then it was just a concept. 

[Under Construction]

So after 8h on the road, we finally got my friends 1989 Honda CB600F home! Now he has a bike too, just in time for the ice to get to its worst :P

It's rebuilt into a steetfighter thing kinda meh, it's a bit of a 10 meter job really, but mechanically it was good.

Cost ~€1100 which is quire a bit but he wanted a bike and was pretty picky with it. Its hard to find a four cylinder, veteran, and A2 registered bike -_-

Il put up a picture once I have one

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, FuzzyYellow said:

if you want sports cars to stay around, they need to bought in high numbers, brand new. that's how it works.

Yep. 

look at point 2 specifically. 

IMG_7242.thumb.jpg.f57b6d97d6fbca93e08b209c09a36485.jpg

Rain hides all the scratches lol. Need to fix the clear coat so badly, but i'm getting onto it. Feat my old Toyota Echo, which has been passed to another family member. Rockford Fosgate component and co-axials coming soon. Very excited. Putting in some sound deadener too soon and a Soundstream amplifier. If I win the auctions I guess. 

Spoiler

On 11/18/2018 at 7:36 AM, terrytek said:

you saying you have a 6 speed auto makes you sound spoiled compared to my 2010 corolla 4 speed ? has absolutely no pep at all

On 11/18/2018 at 7:59 AM, Cereal5 said:

4 speeds in 2010 lol I didn't think that was a thing

On 11/18/2018 at 8:53 AM, MEC-777 said:

Yeah, that was one of the selling points when I was doing research at the time. It's a 2013. The Corolla even then was still a 4 speed.  

Subaru also used a 4 speed auto untill like 2013 ... in the Forester

while they had a 5 speed in the Legacy since like 2003

All i can say ... from the line it goes quick for being just an FB20 in not that light of a vehicle ... just not the best on the highway ... 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO