FCC orders net neutrality repeal

Okjoek
Message added by SansVarnic

We all know how Political Net Neutrality can be ... that said;

Please be mindful to keep all comments and replies civil and on topic lest it be removed an that individual receive a warning.

A lot of state governors are enacting it in their state though, so at least we have that going for us.

Thanks Phil Murphy

Just now, potoooooooo said:

A lot of state governors are enacting it in their state though, so at least we have that going for us.

Thanks Phil Murphy

Well, there is the whole thing where Verizon, Spectrum, AT&T, and a few others pushed to have that banned in the text of the repeal.

It's obviously being challenged but the fact remains that the text is there to prevent individual states from doing that.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Well, there is the whole thing where Verizon, Spectrum, AT&T, and a few others pushed to have that banned in the text of the repeal.

It's obviously being challenged but the fact remains that the text is there to prevent individual states from doing that.

Does the hypocrisy never end?

The party of state's rights restricting state's rights. I doubt such a clause would hold up in the supreme court.

2 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

And I used to think Roadrunner dial up was slow AF.

In online games I would regularly get 300-400 ms ping. Thankfully Runescape was a childhood favorite and wasn't always as critical on connection speed. At the time a game like World of Tanks was un-playable depending on the time of day.

Just now, potoooooooo said:

The party of state's rights restricting state's rights. I doubt such a clause would hold up in the supreme court.

I'm not surprised either, especially considering Pai is now being investigated for his behavior during the repeal as suspected of being too cozy with those the whole repeal would benefit to being with. At this point though only time will tell what this huge mess will spit out at the end =/

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

It's like everyone forgot that these rules were put in place exactly because the ISPs were caught throttling services like Netflix and essentially forcing them to pay a ransom to get back to the normal speed for their users.

Who in their right mind would believe the big ISPs when they say they won't do this anymore.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Unimaginative Name said:

The internet grew up perfectly fine without net neutrality. There is enough competition and there exists enough anti-collusion and monopoly laws to naturally mitigate the threat a la carte internet solution. At least in theory. 

Please elaborate. 

Try living in a rural area (which some of us prefer to the crime and traffic overrun urban city centers) then tell me there's enough competition.

Out here I have 1 "high speed" ISP that is giving me 10/1Mbps over an ancient phone line, or I can get satellite and NEVER be able to game online, oh and daily data caps.

All this for a minimum of $70 a month + BS fees that I cannot opt out of. Life a "phone line" fee even though we don't use the land line.

There is no competition. There is only shit, and more shit. My ISP recently ran fiber through the area and promised us that we would be able to upgrade to 20/5, but even though I saw the work trucks wrap up work almost a year ago, we can't get that according to the people on the phone (in India judging by the accent).

There is NO competition for most of America.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 hours ago, Unimaginative Name said:

Three providers in a market where LITERALLY EVERYBODY is a customer provides plenty of competition. In both of the places where I live, there are 2-4 choices, and the competition is heavy, there is constant price undercutting and it forces large-scale technology improvements across the board. The possible exception would be people who live in BFE and have the option of 10/5 (trust me, it happens). 

Holy shit, if you think you have healthy competition because you have 2-4 choices where "everybody" is a customer, then you don't really understand how competition works.  With more demand and a fair playing field you should have a lot more choices than 2-4.  Australia has something like 8 million landline connections with a choice of 50+ ISP's each.  Now that is healthy competition.   

I'm sorry but what you have over there is simply an oligopoly,  You have no choice.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

not CA. in our odd form we said screw you and are going to try and make it a law. 

Just like so many other issues the federal gov doesn't to shit. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Going to be really interesting when nothing changes, because I don't feel like enacting net neutrality changed anything. My ISP at the time just slapped us with a data cap.

Thanks Phil Murphy

Actually it would hold up as federal law always trumps state law so long as the law isn't specifically banned from being made by the constitution it's legal, granted I am generally for states rights over federal rights but the civil war essentially decided this 150 years ago. The only way that doesn't happen is if the FCC exceeded its authority but this seems to be within those bonds, now congress could do something about it but they can't even agree to fund the government properly so expecting them to even mention this in a serious non pandering way is ludicrous.

Regardless net neutrality isn't the issue, monopolization we need Teddy Roosevelt 2.0

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

4 hours ago, Unimaginative Name said:

The internet grew up perfectly fine without net neutrality. There is enough competition and there exists enough anti-collusion and monopoly laws to naturally mitigate the threat a la carte internet solution. At least in theory. 

Please elaborate. 

There are alot of places with as little as 1 or 2 options for internet. I know I only have the option of 1 and it kinda sucks. So the whole theory of competition working things out in a free market is great and all but the problem is there is a sever lack of it. I mean I actually wouldn't be opposed with the free market regulating these sorts of things because it would give incentives to isps to not be awful companies. With the way things currently are there is slim chance that competition would regulate the isps. 

41 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Actually it would hold up as federal law always trumps state law so long as the law isn't specifically banned from being made by the constitution it's legal, granted I am generally for states rights over federal rights but the civil war essentially decided this 150 years ago. The only way that doesn't happen is if the FCC exceeded its authority but this seems to be within those bonds, now congress could do something about it but they can't even agree to fund the government properly so expecting them to even mention this in a serious non pandering way is ludicrous.

Regardless net neutrality isn't the issue, monopolization we need Teddy Roosevelt 2.0

State governments can do what they want and it would be a fight between state and federal law which would probably go to the courts. I mean weed is federally illegal but is legal in some states so it is possible that the states can still great laws regarding this. 

45 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

The other thing you don't take into account is that the fcc is not Congress and can not make laws in the same way Congress has so I am not sure it would hold up in court if the fcc said that states can't create laws regarding their own state regardless what it is about. 

4 hours ago, Unimaginative Name said:

There is enough competition

Where? I'd love to see this mythical competition. Here it's either slow unreliable CenturyLink or Comcast. I'm sure there is dialup and satellite, but those aren't real connections in our digital world with high bandwidth and data allowance requirements.

Cellular data from carriers are also limited and were never intended to replace home internet.

I'll never understand why Louisiana of all places we literally have 3 providers we can get gigabit internet from... and we have it currently with AT&T...

Fast lanes and stuff are going to stink tho if AT&T incorporates them (I'm sure they will) such a step backwards...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, Mooshi said:

Where? I'd love to see this mythical competition.

It's down here in Australia.  Come and get some sweet competition.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

We currently have Verizon FiOS. And frankly, that's all I need.. had them once, too an 8 year break after moving (because they weren't available) and finally moved again, and choose a place that had Verizon. My only requirement for location...

I feel bad about the DSL. We have a company contacted with the state to provide internet in the farm lands where there isn't cable. Seriously $20 a month for unlimited around 15mbps via microwave towers.

Took me nearly a day to download Fallout 4.

FeelsBadMan

Ajit Pie is apparently under investigation right now:

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

It's down here in Australia.  Come and get some sweet competition.

Nah, NZ would be a better pick if you purely want good internet in a country in the middle of nowhere.

9 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

We currently have Verizon FiOS. And frankly, that's all I need.. had them once, too an 8 year break after moving (because they weren't available) and finally moved again, and choose a place that had Verizon. My only requirement for location...

I feel bad about the DSL. We have a company contacted with the state to provide internet in the farm lands where there isn't cable. Seriously $20 a month for unlimited around 15mbps via microwave towers.

Took me nearly a day to download Fallout 4.

You've never downloaded a 50GB+ game at 5-6Mbps before have you....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

40 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

You've never downloaded a 50GB+ game at 5-6Mbps before have you....

I have, omfg days. Not only that you can't do jack while it's downloading. So glad I don't have to deal with that crap anymore.

10 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Press F to pay respects. :(

Hopefully congress is able to overturn this and put an end to Pai's plans to serve ISPs instead of the Public.

Edit: Lol. 23 States are suing the FCC now meaning this can be overturned if congress really cares about what the people want.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

11 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

I’m in favor of this. The repeal is not perfect, there need to be new regulations in place. But if I had to pick between the current regulations and non of them, I’m going for the repeal.

Can you please explain what you did not like with the previous rules, and what you would like changed for these new ones you say need to be in place?

10 hours ago, Unimaginative Name said:

Three providers in a market where LITERALLY EVERYBODY is a customer provides plenty of competition. In both of the places where I live, there are 2-4 choices, and the competition is heavy, there is constant price undercutting and it forces large-scale technology improvements across the board. The possible exception would be people who live in BFE and have the option of 10/5 (trust me, it happens). 

You're in the small minority. Scroll down to page 6 and you will see what the average in the US is.

Only 26% of US households have 3 or more ISPs to choose from if they want to get 25Mbps downloads or faster.

If we look at how many households have three or more options for 100Mbps connections then that number falls to about 2%.

To have ISP options and competition is rare in the US.

Nobody in their right mind will think this is a healthy environment for competition.

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

Holy shit, if you think you have healthy competition because you have 2-4 choices where "everybody" is a customer, then you don't really understand how competition works.  With more demand and a fair playing field you should have a lot more choices than 2-4.  Australia has something like 8 million landline connections with a choice of 50+ ISP's each.  Now that is healthy competition.   

I'm sorry but what you have over there is simply an oligopoly,  You have no choice.

It seems like he also counts satellite providers into that 2-4 number, and satellite internet is not something I would even count as an option.

I grew up fine without internet at all, it didn't exist... doesn't mean we should go BACK to that. I really think in this day and age that every country and ISP should be striving for better advancement of speeds and coverage, anything less is short-sighted. Look at Sweden? they just announced that they will be having a tariff that allows 10Gb to the public, and 100Gb to business and for the equivalent to $80 a month. That is what they all should be striving towards IMO, data usage is only going to increase, and even if you can't make use of the 10Gb, it means more people could connect at a lower rate in larger households/shared households.. and for $80 is awesome.

[edit] just clarifying, the %80 is for the public, not the business.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini