FCC orders net neutrality repeal

Okjoek
Message added by SansVarnic

We all know how Political Net Neutrality can be ... that said;

Please be mindful to keep all comments and replies civil and on topic lest it be removed an that individual receive a warning.

21 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

I think any and every ISP should be 100% free and open to make as much money as humanly possible. For you, that probably means greedy capitalists being anti consumer. For me, that means competitive capitalism being pro consumer. 

So, you'd be fine with ISPs doing under-the-table no-compete deals with other ISPs so they can charge you out the wazoo for 10mbps? You'd be fine with companies price-fixing and pushing back against innovation so they can charge more for worse services? Acts such as laying infrastructure and upgrading existing cables are not great for the profits of major corps, that's why innovation is lacking in the US internet market.

Might as well open your wallet and beg the ISPs to take more of your money. But I've already seen in other threads that you'd be okay with that. You already think the internet is non-essential even though the whole rest of the developed world disagrees, and it's okay that you think that, but I don't know how you expect literally anybody else to think the same.

The internet and world-wide-web are beautiful inventions that have and still can further the human race and you're totally fine with companies hurting innovation and people themselves to make a quick buck. Again, it's fine that you think that, but I assume the majority of people don't think it's fine.

I used to be quite active here.

39 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Righto then,  What you think is wrong. I understand what you think and it's wrong.

Feel free to check the stats yourself.  It's not like they are hidden.

Do you honestly believe adding nonsense to a discussion like that makes your point valid?

Again, you haven't haven't posted anything to support your beliefs, I have listed several real world examples of why you are wrong.  Please don't just keep repeating yourself without evidence/examples and expect people to just take your word for it.

Feel free to check the stats yourself. It's not like they are hidden. Please don't just keep repeating yourself without evidence/examples and expect people to just take your word for it.

You realize you have done exactly what you are complaining about? I posted a snip with numbers on it yesterday and you had nothing to say? I just proved why my Supreme Court shouldn't be elected in the last post? Where is your evidence for anything?

At least I ask you questions and engage rather than just falsely declare some long statement of supremacy.

Is your goal in life to be more governed as time goes on? Yes or No?

Do you actually care about ISP's in the US? What does US NN have to do with you? What do you have to do with it?

31 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

So, you'd be fine with ISPs doing under-the-table no-compete deals with other ISPs so they can charge you out the wazoo for 10mbps? You'd be fine with companies price-fixing and pushing back against innovation so they can charge more for worse services? Acts such as laying infrastructure and upgrading existing cables are not great for the profits of major corps, that's why innovation is lacking in the US internet market.

But I guess you're fine with that. Might as well open your wallet and beg the ISPs to take more of your money. But I've already seen in other threads that you'd be okay with that. You already think the internet is non-essential even though the whole rest of the developed world disagrees, and it's okay that you think that, but I don't know how you expect literally anybody else to think the same.

The internet and world-wide-web are beautiful inventions that have and still can further the human race and you're totally fine with companies hurting innovation and people themselves to make a quick buck. Again, it's fine that you think that, but I assume the majority of people don't think it's fine.

Yes. I am pure evil and completely alone in my beliefs based off the way you interpret what I say...

I have one option for internet over 25mbps. That's bad and I don't want it getting worse!? Also, for some crazy reason, I am willing to pay more every month for greater than 100mbps?? I am just the most extreme...

You said innovation is lacking in the US, because it cost money. Even though the US gov handed out enormous amounts of money to fund said innovation/expansion. It's almost like government intervention couldn't solve the problem and a business receiving money without earning it is a negative thing.

50 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

For you, that probably means greedy capitalists being anti consumer. For me, that means competitive capitalism being pro consumer. 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

I'll be back tomorrow

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

5 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

Do you actually care about ISP's in the US?

I had Brighthoise Networks before Spectrum purchased them. My bill was $132.11 per month for 100/20 for the past 5 years without change (my neighbors have reported the same at community meetings). Now that my account is with Spectrum, I have been paying ~173 and it goes up every month. Much competition since Frontier is at the same price bracket for the same speed. Why should my bill get larger if there’s “competition”?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, DutchTexan said:

Feel free to check the stats yourself. It's not like they are hidden. Please don't just keep repeating yourself without evidence/examples and expect people to just take your word for it.

You realize you have done exactly what you are complaining about? I posted a snip with numbers on it yesterday and you had nothing to say? I just proved why my Supreme Court shouldn't be elected in the last post? Where is your evidence for anything?

At least I ask you questions and engage rather than just falsely declare some long statement of supremacy.

Is your goal in life to be more governed as time goes on? Yes or No?

Do you actually care about ISP's in the US? What does US NN have to do with you? What do you have to do with it?

Yes. I am pure evil and completely alone in my beliefs based off the way you interpret what I say...

I have one option for internet over 25mbps. That's bad and I don't want it getting worse!? Also, for some crazy reason, I am willing to pay more every month for greater than 100mbps?? I am just the most extreme...

You said innovation is lacking in the US, because it cost money. Even though the US gov handed out enormous amounts of money to fund said innovation/expansion. It's almost like government intervention couldn't solve the problem and a business receiving money without earning it is a negative thing.

So you've got nothing but your ideals that you can't even backup with an example.  people on these forums have been telling you that competition is getting less,  the stats from the US government confirm that the average US citizen only has 3 choices or less. 

Every Aussie on the NBN has more than 50 ISP's to choose from. That is an example of government regulation working. A live actual example that is not up for interpretation or twisted statistics. I can drop mine tomorrow and choose from another 49 that can and will provide me service.  Can you do that in your free market?  Yes I will take proper government regulation over a free market every single day of the week. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 2/22/2018 at 6:39 PM, Egg-Roll said:

Welcome to Bell Media, How may we steal your money today?

Bell as to be the biggest scam in all of Canada right next to the Ontario government... 

On 2/26/2018 at 8:06 PM, ARikozuM said:

I had Brighthoise Networks before Spectrum purchased them. My bill was $132.11 per month for 100/20 for the past 5 years without change (my neighbors have reported the same at community meetings). Now that my account is with Spectrum, I have been paying ~173 and it goes up every month. Much competition since Frontier is at the same price bracket for the same speed. Why should my bill get larger if there’s “competition”?

If it is so competitive, then what are your other options? I have had one option for 100 down and 25 up for what will be three years at the end of my current contract. 

On 2/26/2018 at 9:00 PM, mr moose said:

So you've got nothing but your ideals that you can't even backup with an example.  people on these forums have been telling you that competition is getting less,  the stats from the US government confirm that the average US citizen only has 3 choices or less. 

Every Aussie on the NBN has more than 50 ISP's to choose from. That is an example of government regulation working. A live actual example that is not up for interpretation or twisted statistics. I can drop mine tomorrow and choose from another 49 that can and will provide me service.  Can you do that in your free market?  Yes I will take proper government regulation over a free market every single day of the week. 

You want more regulation. I want less regulation. We can just stop there and save the rest of our lives.

You have done precisely what you accuse me of in every single post you reply with, what have you proved?

Texas likes to deregulate often and push for free market solutions. Like I've mentioned with my choices for electricity: 57 plans for my area.

Spoiler

5a975a99652c9_electric1.thumb.PNG.5cc5784f1dcd524f08f7c1e3b9941e72.PNG5a975a9e13049_electric2.thumb.PNG.f08736dff979a94fb5a0d9d4210be276.PNG5a975aa1d6050_electric3.thumb.PNG.bc35809c5b2747023f1c8eaa27fc0cf0.PNG

It's not hard to imagine ISP's will react the same. It is only natural to cut artificial restriction for small players to enter the game, or exactly what happened with electrify in my state. Which is funny, because that same mindset probably has a little something do with Texas GDP growth, relative to every other state. 

snip.PNG.04e3f59e8dfde373f1cce851ca17d570.PNG

As you can see, Texas has a booming economy. Our GDP, which is already larger than your entire nation, is growing twice as fast as the lowest 45 states.

Vs Australian and Canadian regulations doing this:australia.PNG.39cd7f83eb6d089885957fbc3ad8f30d.PNG

Internet should be free from government regulations, because all government regulations can do now is RESTRICT.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

So far, as a Dutch person, i've got no complaints. I've got 100/30Mbit (no limits) for 32€ a month, and that's not likely to change. But i know that if this FCC thing is going to lead to limitations or extra costs in the US the development of non-ISP internet alternatives will go into hyperdrive. In no time there will be mashnet networks in cities and/or other alternative ways to get online, which don't require an ISP, or at least not an ISP which is bound to US regulations and laws. Didn't Elon Musk launch the first of a series of sattelites that aims to provide just that sort of thing??

5 hours ago, DutchTexan said:

SNIP

I see you still don't understand.  I'm sorry you feel so strongly about it that you went to all that trouble to post.

But just so you know, the size of the GDP alone is not how you compare economies.  You have more people in Texas so you should have a higher GDP.  If you want to compare Texas to Australia you have to qualify every figure, especially figures used in relation to regulation if that's what you want to prove (which you haven't yet), because your power company example doesn't show competition as a result of regulation.  we only have a population of 5 Million in Victoria, but we have 16 energy retailers.  Your example of power retailers does not prove anything because given the population of Texas, the competition per customer is smaller.   Also it appears I have been working on old numbers, we now have the choice of more than 100 ISP's.  So when you get that in Texas, you can report back.

So far I have shown how our regulated health system works better, how our regulated internet works better and now how our regulated power industry is just as competitive (if not more). You keep saying I haven't proven anything but the reality is ignoring my examples is not the same as me not presenting them.

Also you might want to look at our consumer law (it's the reason steam gives refunds) or  look at our workplace law and contract regulations, the $9 walmart pays it's employees is what 15yo's get in mcdoanlds as the absolute minimum on a shit 4 hour shift in the middle of the day.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 2/22/2018 at 4:39 PM, leadeater said:

Wow 4 choices, everyone in my country has a choice of a minimum of 15 and there are a lot more than that. We are a tiny nation of 4.7 million so why do you have less options than I have?

If I limit that list to the truly large ISPs then every person has access to 10.

Our ISPs are weird here. Some are offered in just Alberta and British Columbia. Sasktel and Access in saskatchewan. The list goes on.

The geek himself.

Just saying, no regulations is bad, bad regulations is bad, good regulations are good.

Regulations that is only a hinder for small companies is bad regulations in most cases. Regulations that make it harder for big companies to push out the small ones and buy themselves to monopoly is many times good regulations.

Edited by Mihle
Typo

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

14 hours ago, Mihle said:

Just saying, no regulations is bad, bad regulations is bad, good regulations are good.

Regulations that is only a hinder for small companies is bad regulations in most cases. Regulations that make it harder for big companies to push your the small ones and buy themselves to monopoly is many times good regulations.

exactly, good regulations do not prevent any company from performing at their best, they only prevent companies from using their position to unfairly quash competition and mistreat consumers.