So apparently, the Intel/Radeon marriage is a thing that's happening

jasonc_01
Go to solution Solved by captain cactus,

sauce: https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/new-intel-core-processor-combine-high-performance-cpu-discrete-graphics-sleek-thin-devices/

The new product, which will be part of our 8th Gen Intel Core family, brings together our high-performing Intel Core H-series processor, second generation High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2) and a custom-to-Intel third-party discrete graphics chip from AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group* – all in a single processor package.

It’s a prime example of hardware and software innovations intersecting to create something amazing that fills a unique market gap. Helping to deliver on our vision for this new class of product, we worked with the team at AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group. In close collaboration, we designed a new semi-custom graphics chip, which means this is also a great example of how we can compete and work together, ultimately delivering innovation that is good for consumers.

So this was the semi-custom design AMD talked about a while back. But it has happened. Here's Intel's video:

So yeah. We now have an Intel CPU with an AMD RTG GPU in the 35-55W TDP range.

Here's how they did that:

Intel-8th-Gen-CPU-discrete-graphics.jpg

That's a single HBM2 stack so we're likely limited to 4GB of video RAM. The details of the AMD GPU are unknown at this point, likely to be a Vega-based GPU, but things as SP count and clock speeds are not known yet.

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

It is sneaky wording as "how do we sell more products" is exactly what they are doing lol. they are getting that money from their competitor without directly competing with them.

Ok but they are competing against Intel... that's what Raven Ridge is

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Just now, Swatson said:

yes and no, its probably 2 completely different price brackets, i would like amd to make their own version of this with the same gpu though, stead of relying on intel

Just now, Swatson said:

Yes but in this instance their direct competitor would actually be NVidia. AMD and Intel both have products that don't necissarily compete and in the case of Raven Ridge they are competing against Intels CPUs with integrated graphics. This is a product they can sell without direct competition. It depends on which angle you take, as you could look at Intel competing against itself. This is an intermediary between an integrated graphics solution and a "typical" dedicated graphics solution.

12 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Yes but in this instance their direct competitor would actually be NVidia. AMD and Intel both have products that don't necissarily compete and in the case of Raven Ridge they are competing against Intels CPUs with integrated graphics.

What? How would raven ridge not be competing against this. Raven Ridge = Ryzen + Vega, this is Intel+Vega. You can't just say "oh it's only going to compete with intels own integrated graphics chips." Once Intel puts these on the market, it will be direct competition.

They are both planned to be used in thin and light laptops as well. I really don't see how they are not direct competitors.

17 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

yes and no, its probably 2 completely different price brackets, i would like amd to make their own version of this with the same gpu though, stead of relying on intel

They might be priced differently but AMD being priced cheaper doesn't make it less of a competitor, if perf and form factor are similar it competes in my eyes.

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

7 minutes ago, Swatson said:

What? How would raven ridge not be competing against this. Raven Ridge = Ryzen + Vega, this is Intel+Vega. You can't just say "oh it's only going to compete with intels own integrated graphics chips." Once Intel puts these on the market, it will be direct competition.

They are both planned to be used in thin an light laptops as well. I really don't see how they are not direct competitors.

They might be priced differently but AMD being priced cheaper doesn't make it less of a competitor, if perf and form factor is similar it competes in my eyes.

thats like saying that the 480 competes with the 1080, NO.

the amd apu that is going to be released has 11Cus, this one has 24Cus more than double, memory bandwidth is also much much higher, so no they do not compete

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

thats like saying that the 480 competes with the 1080, NO.

the amd apu that is going to be released has 11Cus, this one has 24Cus more than double, memory bandwidth is also much much higher, so no they do not compete

Where were CU's confirmed? Also, I have no doubt that AMD will release further versions of APU's we've only seen leaks of 2 models.

Just now, Swatson said:

It's the implementation, intended use, target customer and price. Raven ridge is to be an in die solution. This is intended to be a step above a integrated as keeping it on a seperate die allows for a greater performance target. Again, it's all in the angle you decide to look at it from. From the angle you are coming from the argument could be made that Intel is also competing against itself. In the same instance you can't just say it has vega in it so they are competing products. That said, if AMD comes out with a similar product where they have a Ryzen die and vega die in a similar setup and performance target, at that point they could be competing against themselves. 

6 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Raven ridge= 12-25W 

Intel H series= 45W + dGPU(probably 75W+) 

Yes, isnt it great

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B350 GPU: Reference cooled GTX 980 Storage: Intel SSD5 256Gb RAM: 8gb Geil EVO Potenza Case:  Phanteks p300 PSU: EVGA 500 watt CPU Cooler: AMD wraith spire

Steam: maxarooni4

Battle.net: MAX

If you have an Oculus HMU in dead and buried   

Just now, Swatson said:

Where was CU's confirmed? Also, I have no doubt that AMD will release further versions of APU's we've only seen leaks of 2 models.

if they release a apu with around 20 cus and hbm (even without) i will say they are competitors, not the case right now,

Cus i saw somewhere i think wccf

Nice paywall.

Gaming Desktop: ASRock Phantom Gaming X, R9-3900x, 64GB RAM, 1.5TB SSD

NAS Box: Gigabyte Z97, i5-4690, 32GB RAM, 22TB, 1TB SSD Cache.

17 minutes ago, tsk said:

Raven ridge= 12-25W 

Intel H series= 45W + dGPU(probably 75W+) 

We haven't seen all of Raven Ridge yet, Ryzen leads on TDP on the desktop, could easily be the case on mobile as well, or perhaps not. We could also see higher power APUs

17 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

if they release a apu with around 20 cus and hbm (even without) i will say they are competitors, not the case right now,

Cus i saw somewhere i think wccf

If there is no confirmation of the CU's on the intel chip, that is a baseless claim

17 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

It's the implementation, intended use, target customer and price. Raven ridge is to be an in die solution. This is intended to be a step above a integrated as keeping it on a seperate die allows for a greater performance target. Again, it's all in the angle you decide to look at it from. From the angle you are coming from the argument could be made that Intel is also competing against itself. In the same instance you can't just say it has vega in it so they are competing products. That said, if AMD comes out with a similar product where they have a Ryzen die and vega die in a similar setup and performance target, at that point they could be competing against themselves. 

Raven Ridge is an APU because AMD makes APU's and is good at it, it's also much more efficient. Remember AMD makes the APU's for the consoles Including Xbox One X which is actually a beastly APU, not even running ryzen or vega.

I think AMD will have a product that competes with this on Performance, and Form Factor with a cheaper price. If the laptop is about the same size and uses about the same power and performs about the same but cheaper, that is a competing product to the end user.

Just posting a link with no information or personal opinion is generally frowned upon.
Welcome to the forum.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

You probably have read something about it already.

What excites me even more than the fact that we'll get AMD graphics(which have been better than Intel's) is that they'll have HBM 2 on board which should defeat the RAM bottleneck I-gpu's often have. I feel like the performance could be on a whole different level.

What do you guys think about it?

turnip

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

dude that's sick, i'm going to have to hold off upgrading my laptop until this comes to fruition.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

13 minutes ago, Swatson said:

We haven't seen all of Raven Ridge yet, Ryzen leads on TDP on the desktop, could easily be the case on mobile as well, or perhaps not. We could also see higher power APUs

If there is no confirmation of the CU's on the intel chip, that is a baseless claim

Raven Ridge is an APU because AMD makes APU's and is good at it, it's also much more efficient. Remember AMD makes the APU's for the consoles Including Xbox One X which is actually a beastly APU, not even running ryzen or vega.

I think AMD with have a product that competes with this on Performance, and Form Factor with a cheaper price. If the laptop is about the size and uses about the same power and performs about the same but cheaper, that is a competing product to the end user.

Haven't seen it? https://techreport.com/review/32743/amd-ryzen-7-2700u-and-ryzen-5-2500u-apus-revealed

This is a semi custom solution, like the one in the Xbox one X(which has 180W TDP and GDDR5). 

You're not gonna see any APU from AMD with that kind of performance, so no, they will not be competing products. 

5 minutes ago, tsk said:

Haven't seen it? https://techreport.com/review/32743/amd-ryzen-7-2700u-and-ryzen-5-2500u-apus-revealed

This is a semi custom solution, like the one in the Xbox one X(which has 180W TDP and GDDR5). 

You're not gonna see any APU from AMD with that kind of performance, so no, they will not be competing products. 

Ok no it's not a semi-custom solution, or we have different definitions of custom, that's just raven ridge and that's just leaks of the first 2 models which are clearly meant to compete with thin and lights. 15w TDP is the same as intel U series.

The Scorpio APU is based on jaguar cores (BULLDOZER) and polaris with some vega enhancements but it's not really the same. I think we could easily see an APU in a 45w-65w range for mid tier laptops and over 100w for gaming machines, of course Ryzen + Discrete Vega will be the top end.

That is true. But i feel like onboard memory could really turn the tables here. the GPU that close to the cpu with fast HBM memory could really perform great assuming its actually not a horrible gpu. 

@Swatson

The benchmark leaks point to something in the range of 75-100w TDPs, depending on configuration for the NUCs. It's also likely that a version will exist for some Apple products. (Mac Mini? Macbook? New product?) The EMIB rollout is the key aspect. Intel can place any GPU configuration on there, but there's only one dGPU maker that Intel is on okay terms with.

Hmm interesting. May not be a bad thing for AMD, they'll sell more volume of GPUs. AMD's GPU sector could use a 'pick me up'. Would be interesting to see where this joint venture leads to. One thing to note is that we do not know the full details of the agreement. It's possible it also involves some sharing of IP between AMD and Intel, wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

5 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Ok no it's not a semi-custom solution, or we have different definitions of custom, that's just raven ridge and that's just leaks of the first 2 models which are clearly meant to compete with thin and lights. 15w TDP is the same as intel U series.

The Scorpio APU is based on jaguar cores (BULLDOZER) and polaris with some vega enhancements but it's not really the same. I think we could easily see an APU in a 45w-65w range for mid tier laptops and over 100w for gaming machines, of course Ryzen + Discrete Vega will be the top end.

That's not a leak, that's an announcement from AMD. 

And yes the scorpio is a semi-custom design.

I think it would be really good for future consoles.  

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers