So apparently, the Intel/Radeon marriage is a thing that's happening

jasonc_01
Go to solution Solved by captain cactus,

sauce: https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/new-intel-core-processor-combine-high-performance-cpu-discrete-graphics-sleek-thin-devices/

The new product, which will be part of our 8th Gen Intel Core family, brings together our high-performing Intel Core H-series processor, second generation High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2) and a custom-to-Intel third-party discrete graphics chip from AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group* – all in a single processor package.

It’s a prime example of hardware and software innovations intersecting to create something amazing that fills a unique market gap. Helping to deliver on our vision for this new class of product, we worked with the team at AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group. In close collaboration, we designed a new semi-custom graphics chip, which means this is also a great example of how we can compete and work together, ultimately delivering innovation that is good for consumers.

So this was the semi-custom design AMD talked about a while back. But it has happened. Here's Intel's video:

So yeah. We now have an Intel CPU with an AMD RTG GPU in the 35-55W TDP range.

Here's how they did that:

Intel-8th-Gen-CPU-discrete-graphics.jpg

That's a single HBM2 stack so we're likely limited to 4GB of video RAM. The details of the AMD GPU are unknown at this point, likely to be a Vega-based GPU, but things as SP count and clock speeds are not known yet.

3 minutes ago, tsk said:

That's not a leak, that's an announcement from AMD. 

And yes the scorpio is a semi-custom design.

Sorry "sneak preview", you know what I meant. It's a technical details press release.

Scorpio is semi custom, however you said

Haven't seen it? https://techreport.com/review/32743/amd-ryzen-7-2700u-and-ryzen-5-2500u-apus-revealed

This is a semi custom solution, like the one in the Xbox one X(which has 180W TDP and GDDR5). 

Scorpio is in xbox one x, your sentence clearly implied you think the raven ridge chips are semi-custom.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

5 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Sorry "sneak preview", you know what I meant. It's a technical details press release.

Scorpio is semi custom, however you said

Scorpio is in xbox one x, your sentence clearly implied you think the raven ridge chips are semi-custom.

By this I meant the solution from Intel with an AMD GPU is a semi custom design, not raven ridge. 

-Merged several more topics-

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, tsk said:

By this I meant the solution from Intel with an AMD GPU is a semi custom design, not raven ridge. 

Ehh they are both "semi-custom" but Scorpio is an APU, this is basically discrete vega with an intel chip but much better integration.

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

10 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

One thing to note is that we do not know the full details of the agreement. It's possible it also involves some sharing of IP between AMD and Intel, wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. 

That is not the case, read the announcement

5 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

Hmm interesting. May not be a bad thing for AMD, they'll sell more volume of GPUs. AMD's GPU sector could use a 'pick me up'. Would be interesting to see where this joint venture leads to. One thing to note is that we do not know the full details of the agreement. It's possible it also involves some sharing of IP between AMD and Intel, wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. 

Minimal IP. That's the EMIB part that's key. Those watching future computer tech have been tracking EMIB for a while. (It's effectively an advanced interposer, but it's a lot more swiss-army knife than that.) Intel can hook almost anything onto a board with it, though the real application is in a few years with "chiplets". 

Main thing for Intel is they need more graphics power in certain products, but between IP issues and development costs, paying AMD is a lot cheaper.

This is like Middlesbrough FC joining forces with Sunderland FC...it ain't gonna happen.

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Minimal IP. That's the EMIB part that's key. Those watching future computer tech have been tracking EMIB for a while. (It's effectively an advanced interposer, but it's a lot more swiss-army knife than that.) Intel can hook almost anything onto a board with it, though the real application is in a few years with "chiplets". 

Main thing for Intel is they need more graphics power in certain products, but between IP issues and development costs, paying AMD is a lot cheaper.

Do you know how Infinity fabric plays into the EMIB implementation, EMIB is obviously distinct from IF but does IF affect this particular implementation at all?

1 minute ago, Swatson said:

Do you know how Infinity fabric plays into the EMIB implementation, EMIB is obviously distinct from IF but does IF affect this particular implementation at all?

It doesn't, there's no infinity fabric on this product. 

Just now, tsk said:

It doesn't, there's no infinity fabric on this product. 

Do we know that for a fact?

Just now, Swatson said:

Do we know that for a fact?

Yes, this solution is a product from Intel. This article explains things pretty well. EMIB is a similar thing to infinity fabric though. 

Just now, Swatson said:

IF and EMIB are fairly separate concepts, though there's some overlap. Though I'm not quite sure how much of EMIB's capabilities we really know right now. It was "in the future" tech until, apparently, today. Infinity Fabric is more about data sharing among the entire system, while EMIB is a manufacturing approach. EMIB + Chiplet will, in theory, allow Intel to make parts of CPUs and "glue" them together.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/foundry/emib.html

At the same time, Intel has been talking about this for a while, but I think this is the first consumer device with it. (I'm guessing costs are still pretty high.)

9 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

IF and EMIB are fairly separate concepts, though there's some overlap. Though I'm not quite sure how much of EMIB's capabilities we really know right now. It was "in the future" tech until, apparently, today. Infinity Fabric is more about data sharing among the entire system, while EMIB is a manufacturing approach. EMIB + Chiplet will, in theory, allow Intel to make parts of CPUs and "glue" them together.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/foundry/emib.html

At the same time, Intel has been talking about this for a while, but I think this is the first consumer device with it. (I'm guessing costs are still pretty high.)

I see, so EMiB is actually an alternative to interposer packaging like discrete vega?

Edit: article says yes :P

So looks like the rumour mill wasn't lying? How about that.

Honestly I personally wanted this but really didn't see it coming AT ALL.

Intel had identified that it couldn’t deliver a premium computer experience for gamers and enthusiasts in the thin and light form factor laptop, typically between 11 and 16mm thick. To meet this challenge, “reducing the usual silicon footprint to less than half that of standard discrete components on a motherboard”, it has worked with AMD to integrate a custom-to-Intel third-party discrete graphics chip from AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group and the necessary memory tech.

Video about the new SoC style processors here.

It looks like they're using custom Radeon graphics, in a similar vein to Sony and Microsoft for their respective consoles. As well as making use on board HBM2, so these things will be pricey.

Finally all of that is on one wafer/substrate while remaining as separate chips, pretty cool product in my opinion.

Source: https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/111863-intel-announces-laptop-gaming-chips-amd-radeon-graphics/

Edit: Hadn't notice everyone got here WAY before me! That's what I get for writing the post on my phone, at work, then posting it as I get home ...

@Swatson

Infinity Fabric is about communicating between every aspect easily. EMIB is about driving down manufacturing costs. IF allows you to drive down costs because you can build out smaller individual units. EMIB will, eventually, allow Intel to produce single cores and "glue" them together. (Though what they actually want to do is manufacture most of the SoC parts on a node or two above and only the important parts on the current, expensive node.)

Both approaches make a lot of sense for both companies. AMD's is far more radical, but they're also a GPU company as well. Intel wants to put pieces together. AMD wants to get the CPU, GPU and the entire memory storage system able to call each other and remove bottlenecks.

The "rub", especially when it comes to gaming, is that unless you're rendering with a CPU, there's really no CPU bottlenecks. The CPU, even pegged at 100%, is likely spending most of those cycles waiting. This is why any Intel CPU after the 2600k is still in good shape with regards to game engines. It's not the cores itself that are the issue. The Core design was, in fact, 5 years ahead of the GPUs. On a per instruction basis, AMD's Zen core is better than Intel's Core core (minus AVX2 and AVX512), but that 10% IPC is about how far behind in Memory Subsystems it is.

Edit: There's also an aspect of the approaches that AMD & Intel are taking being dictated by the nature of the companies. Intel is a leading manufacturer; AMD is a fab-less CPU & GPU maker. Both are optimizing for their risk profile and failure states. 

Still, wouldn't an AMD GPU+Intel CPU combo affect Ravenridge sales?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Completely different profiles. Raven Ridge will operate at upwards of 1/3 to 1/5th the power. RR also lacks the HBM and will retail in the 50 to 125 USD range. That GPU alone would retail for about 250-300 USD.(I'd love to actually see how it performs in general.)

then intel purchases radeon from amd and we get intel HD graphics vs nvidia 

this is my dream a very strange dream i am a fan of blue 

2 minutes ago, linustouchtips said:

then intel purchases radeon from amd and we get intel HD graphics vs nvidia 

this is my dream a very strange dream i am a fan of blue 

AMD isn't that broke.

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

AMD isn't that broke.

its my weird fantasy as a matter of fact they are getting a boost in the stock as we speak

7 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

No. It would potentially affect the sales of dedicated mobile Radeon GPUs, except... those practically don't exist at this point. The entire dGPU market on laptops has been held by Nvidia in recent years. This is a way to take a big chunk of it back for AMD.

Just now, linustouchtips said:

its my weird fantasy as a matter of fact they are getting a boost in the stock as we speak

Hehe. Though selling RTG is an interesting idea for AMD, but then we're talking about Intel purchases. At least AMD would get paid a lot for it, even if it would require some funky licensing agreement issues.

6 hours ago, MyName13 said:

Igpu was the only thing that would make ryzen APUs competitive, this makes no sense.

Actually it makes perfect sense, they make money from Ryzen-based laptops and from Intel based laptops.

I really think it'll perform well without the usual memory bottleneck.